Room Service Charge Now Fleetwide, New Restaurant Pricing Onboard Norwegian Cruise LI

LauraS

We have a cruise booked on NCL in June. This is my first time on NCL, my husband's first ever, and our son's first ever. At first my son wasn't too excited (he tends to not be excited to do something new unless he knows what to expect). I was telling him about all the fun things to do including order a hot dog through room service and that was the most exciting part of this trip for him... the idea of someone delivering him a hot dog. For real. ...And now it's not free.

I don't intend on paying a 7.95 service charge. It's too late to cancel my trip at this point, so I will go and enjoy it, but if the guest services desk doesn't make it right, I suppose I'll have to adjust the "daily service charge" to account for the unexpected "service charge" I will incur due to this change. I didn't plan on visiting any of the specialty dining restaurants, so changing their pricing doesn't really affect us, but taking away something that was complimentary after we are past our cancellation period is just wrong. And saying the food is free but there's a "service charge" per order is semantics. For me to order a hot dog or five hot dogs, there is a cost associated with it (in addition to tips). That's not free. But like I said, if they don't "make it right", I'll make it right myself. I have no intention of telling my son he can't order room service at least a few times. This was one of the highlights of a cruise I pushed to get my family to agree to give it a try! There's many other cruise lines out there to pick from- had I known this, I wouldn't have booked NCL. I certainly won't book them again. So far since I paid for my cruise, the daily service charge has gone up, the room service is no longer free, the specialty dining charges increased for kids, and additional gratuities added. ...I guess business is booming for them.

Why should NCL keep it all?

Harriet

Why shouldn't they? It's obvious that the charge was instituted to help Del Rio get his $4 or $5 more from each passenger per day. The staff that delivers room service is covered by the daily service charge and they also have the automatic 18% now on for charge items on the RS menu (which leads me to conclude that NCL does keep all of the RS service charge). NCL is incurring no more expenses with RS then they ever have so this $7.95 is a literal gold mine for them as it's 100% profit. I won't be using room service because I'm not going to wonder about what is free and what incurs a charge. I'll go to the buffet and bring it back to the room unless of course they put the kibosh on that like they did to go orders from the other dining venues.

Why shouldn't they? It's obvious that the charge was instituted to help Del Rio get his $4 or $5 more from each passenger per day. The staff that delivers room service is covered by the daily service charge and they also have the automatic 18% now on for charge items on the RS menu (which leads me to conclude that NCL does keep all of the RS service charge). NCL is incurring no more expenses with RS then they ever have so this $7.95 is a literal gold mine for them as it's 100% profit. I won't be using room service because I'm not going to wonder about what is free and what incurs a charge. I'll go to the buffet and bring it back to the room unless of course they put the kibosh on that like they did to go orders from the other dining venues.

I believe Harriet confirmed that there is no 18% gratuity on room service. There is only the $7.95 service charge.

I personally see some serious abuse/waste with this new charge. Why not order twice as much stuff since they have to pay anyway?

So let me get this straight. I have read this info re what "attracts" a Room Service 18% fee and what "attracts" a $7.95 convenience fee a dozen times and maybe I have not had enough coffee yet.

Complimentry Contenental Breakfast: no per item cost/exempt from 7.95 fee

Drinks from the Bar or Special Occassion Platters: per item cost/Exempt from 7.95 fee but 18% added

Any other item, like hot dogs, sandwiches: 7.95 fee

So if you order some high $$ items, like a few drinks and a couple platters, they will waive the $7.95 fee and charge the 18% instead.

So if I order sandwiches for lunch on the balcony, I would pay the $7.95 fee. But if I order 2 beers to go with it, the $7.95 is waived and I only pay the 18% on the beers? Because it says that orders which include non complimentry drinks are exempt from the $7.95 Convenience Fee.

If my thinking is correct, when you order that cooked to order breakfast which would normally incur a 7.95 fee, just order a Bloody Mary to with it and you pay the 18% instead. It seems an easy way of getting around paying the Convenience Fee. Might as well have something to show for it.;)

OK, tell me I'm crazy.

I believe Harriet confirmed that there is no 18% gratuity on room service. There is only the $7.95 service charge.

I personally see some serious abuse/waste with this new charge. Why not order twice as much stuff since they have to pay anyway?

So if you order a surcharge item from room service it has no 18% gratuity? It was my understanding that is when you paid the 18% gratuity for room service plus the $7.95 service charge. Too confusing so as I said I would skip it completely which isn't too big a deal since on all of our cruises I think we've used room service 3 times. I do have an issue with not being able to bring food back from the dining venues, especially O'Sheehans.

So let me get this straight. I have read this info re what "attracts" a Room Service 18% fee and what "attracts" a $7.95 convenience fee a dozen times and maybe I have not had enough coffee yet.

Drinks from the Bar or Special Occassion Platters: per item cost/Exempt from 7.95 fee but 18% added

So if you order some high $$ items, like a few drinks and a couple platters, they will waive the $7.95 fee and charge the 18% instead.

So if I order sandwiches for lunch on the balcony, I would pay the $7.95 fee. But if I order 2 beers to go with it, the $7.95 is waived and I only pay the 18% on the beers? Because it says that orders which include non complimentry drinks are exempt from the $7.95 Convenience Fee.

If my thinking is correct, when you order that cooked to order breakfast which would normally incur a 7.95 fee, just order a Bloody Mary to with it and you pay the 18% instead. It seems an easy way of getting around paying the Convenience Fee. Might as well have something to show for it.;)

OK, tell me I'm crazy.

NCL is not using the KISS method, that is for certain.

Yep, I did....in the other thread that was deleted. However, before it got deleted I also posted (you might not have seen it before it got deleted) that I was sorry, but I miss spoke and was wrong. Here is the fine print on the new room service menu, which I have but is to big for me to u/l it here to CC:

*An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items. Complimentary continental breakfast and orders that include special occasion and/or non-complimentary beverage items are exempt from the $7.95 convenience charge

So anyone care to really explain the above?

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Yes, that's how I understand it as well.

OK, tell me I'm crazy.

How they're going to handle the 'mix and match'.....you're guess is as good as mine! LOL

Harriet

How they're going to handle the 'mix and match'.....you're guess is as good as mine! LOL

Harriet

Well, if they "honor" what they said, they will waive the $7.95 service charge IF your order includes non-complimentry drinks and/or something like a shrimp platter along with your hot dog ( which you otherwise would pay $7.95 for ).

If I am going to pay $7.95 anyway, I might as well have a Mimosa for the same amount of money. It's almost a break even.

OK, tell me I'm crazy.

You won't have me calling you crazy. I read it a few times myself and that is exactly what I came up with. Is it a loop hole or are we just reading it wrong?

Rochelle

The term "beverage service charge" is confusing.

It is the same 18% added to bar bills all over the ship and nothing new. But I agree. The same wording is used on the new 18% gratuity and service charge added to the cover charges/UDP packages. It leaves a lot open to interpretation. Is it a gratuity? Or is it a service charge. Big difference IMO.

You won't have me calling you crazy. I read it a few times myself and that is exactly what I came up with. Is it a loop hole or are we just reading it wrong?

Rochelle

I think it is a loop hole, myself.

They weren't going to have us getting our knickers in a knot over charging both a service/convenience fee AND an 18% gratuity/service fee additionally, so this is their solution. They will either charge a 7.95 fee ( except for continental or orders that include platters or bar drinks ) or the 18%, which they will put on drinks and platters, but you won't pay both.

If this is not their intent, then they need to get it worded clearly, cause this is what they have said.

Edited by punkincc

I think it is a loop hole, myself.

They weren't going to have us getting our knickers in a knot over charging both a service/convenience fee AND an 18% gratuity/service fee additionally, so this is their solution. They will either charge a 7.95 fee ( except for continental or orders that include platters or bar drinks ) or the 18%, which they will put on drinks and platters, but you won't pay both.

I don't think NCL cares if our knickers are in a knot at all and they will probably fill the loop hole before too long.

The term "beverage service charge" is confusing.

If it just says gratuity then all must go to the server. If the word service charge is used then the company can keep a portion (and they do not tell us what that portion is). It is like regular bar drinks. They used to say a 15 % gratuity, now that say 18% beverage service charge which means they can keep a portion. It is possible that the bar servers did not receive any increase but the company now receives 3% for every drink sold.

Rochelle

It's free for the Haven I see but I think I've only ever ordered room service once and breakfast once too on all of my previous cruises.

My thoughts are:

a) That Shanghai's are in for a shock once the hoards starts flooding there. They've always been very quiet when it was chargeable.

b) If people are paying for room service, the temptation would be to say "I'll have everything please" so they get their $8 worth.

If it just says gratuity then all must go to the server. If the word service charge is used then the company can keep a portion (and they do not tell us what that portion is). It is like regular bar drinks. They used to say a 15 % gratuity, now that say 18% beverage service charge which means they can keep a portion. It is possible that the bar servers did not receive any increase but the company now receives 3% for every drink sold.

Rochelle

Guess Del Rio wants to get $4 or $5 out of his crew also.

Rochelle

I am well aware of this. My comment was in confusion of the post by Harriet where she printed the part where *An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items.

It's a shame that NCL didn't listen to people complain on cc, social media and aboard the Breakaway and Getaway, about not liking the service charge for room service. It's like they put it in our faces and made the charge $7.95 instead of $4.95. I am pissed that we are not getting what we booked for which was free room service.

I am sure it was answered somewhere but does anyone know about the pizza? Is it $5.00 PLUS $7.95 PLUS gratuity? Thanks!!

I am well aware of this. My comment was in confusion of the post by Harriet where she printed the part where *An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items.

I take that to mean that pop, alcoholic drinks and food items like shrimp or cheese platters and canapes and such will now all incur the 18% gratuity.

What other meaning did you think there could be?

I do think the wording could have been a lot more clear.

Rochelle

Please, if you can cancel your cruise do so. Don't let the cruise lines get away with doing things like this without recourse.

If you can't cancel, then complain loudly to anyone who will listen....your TA, your better business bureau, your attorney general, the media (yes, the media). That's what I'm doing. My ship sails in a week. I am hoping I can find a way that it can sail without me, of course with a refund.

Don't let them get away with this. Don't let them get away with unilaterally upping fees for everyday services that they've contractually agreed to provide. It's not the $7.95 charge that is important. It's the unilateral change to contracts for people who are past cancellation.

If you can cancel, except you can't cancel your flight, then ask and get recommendations on wonderful vacations that can be had in the starting port of the cruise. Many of the starting ports are meccas of entertainment in themselves. I live in Seattle. This area is one of the most beautiful on earth. You can vacation here without a cruise.

Cancel. Go do it. Do it -- today.

Edited by TATraveler

*An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items. Complimentary continental breakfast and orders that include special occasion and/or non-complimentary beverage items are exempt from the $7.95 convenience charge

Harriet

Special Occasion Items

Selection of Deluxe Cold Hors d’ oeuvres (10 pieces) $2500

Please call for the Chef’s Selection of the Day

Jumbo Shrimp Platter* (1 dozen) $2100

Chilled Jumbo Shrimp served with Spicy Cocktail Sauce and Lemon

Caspian Sea Sevruga Caviar** Market Price

Toast, Sour Cream, Red Onions, Capers and Chopped Eggs

Collection of International Cheeses (Serves 2 or 4) $1800 / $3200

Ile de France Brie, Goat and Camembert, Savoyard Reblochon,

Italian Gorgonzola, English Cheddar, Swiss Emmenthal and Boursin. Served with

Fresh Baked Breads, Lavosh and Accompaniments. (Allow 1 hour for preparation)

Non-complimentary Beverages

This would be anything that you have to pay for....water, soda, beer, wine, mixed drinks, etc.

So, the way I see this...If one orders the 'new breakfast items, sandwiches, dinners, etc. that would incur the $7.95 fee....but not the 18% gratuity.

However.....IF I order soup, salad, and a tuna sandwich with a glass of soda.....does that mean I only pay 18% for the cost of the soda?

Harriet

I take that to mean that pop, alcoholic drinks and food items like shrimp or cheese platters and canapes and such will now all incur the 18% gratuity.

What other meaning did you think there could be?

I do think the wording could have been a lot more clear.

Rochelle

I think what Beaver is referring to is the distinction between a gratuity and a service charge and what the server gets to keep- since NCL uses both terms we cannot be sure if it is a gratuity that goes to the server or if it is a service charge that NCL gets to keep some or all of. It's all just too confusing.

"Special Occasion Items

Selection of Deluxe Cold Hors d’ oeuvres (10 pieces) $2500

Please call for the Chef’s Selection of the Day

Jumbo Shrimp Platter* (1 dozen) $2100

Chilled Jumbo Shrimp served with Spicy Cocktail Sauce and Lemon

Caspian Sea Sevruga Caviar** Market Price

Toast, Sour Cream, Red Onions, Capers and Chopped Eggs

Collection of International Cheeses (Serves 2 or 4) $1800 / $3200

Ile de France Brie, Goat and Camembert, Savoyard Reblochon,

Italian Gorgonzola, English Cheddar, Swiss Emmenthal and Boursin. Served with

Fresh Baked Breads, Lavosh and Accompaniments. (Allow 1 hour for preparation)

Non-complimentary Beverages

This would be anything that you have to pay for....water, soda, beer, wine, mixed drinks, etc.

So, the way I see this...If one orders the 'new breakfast items, sandwiches, dinners, etc. that would incur the $7.95 fee....but not the 18% gratuity.

However.....IF I order soup, salad, and a tuna sandwich with a glass of soda.....does that mean I only pay 18% for the cost of the soda?

Harriet"

For some reason my computer won't let me do a regular quote. Anyway, if I am understanding everything correctly (not sure that I've had enough coffee yet for that) I can order a soda for $2.25 and a couple of the sandwiches that are free and pay 41 cents for gratuity and not the $7.95 service charge. Yeah, NCL will be plugging that loophole real quick.