Skagway

onefishtwofish

I know there will be differing opinions, but we are looking for suggestions besides White Pass RR while in port there....we are doing some land traveling on the Alaska RR after the cruise, so looking for other things.......;)

In your view, what would you suggest for a family of 4 - mom, dad, DS 15 and DD 13? We all like the outdoors as well as learning some history.......

On this trip, we are already doing some whale watching and fishing. We are open to booking or doing things when we get there as opposed to booking ahead if there are some good things to do "on the spur of the moment" :p

Thanks!

There are countless touring choices. "Outdoors, and history" covers a whole lot.

http://www.skagway.com is a start I would suggest, also Alaska Port of Calls books, Both Frommers and Fodors have them.

Are you open to hiking? bike rentals? car rental for the South Klondike Highway? Those are some easy last minute possibilities, except the car rental reservation. You know about the Park Service visitor center? http://www.nps.gov/klgo

You don't have any flights listed, but those certainly are= top choices.

The White Pass RR is actually VERY different from the Alaska RR, with Anchorage/Seward the star of the line. Anchorage/Denali the least scenic with trees and more trees- too many. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Yes - that is the problem - lots of choices! :rolleyes:

So looking for ones people have actually been on and can recommend....it is broad I know (outdoors and history) but would love to hear reviews to help us narrow down choices........

We did do the White Pass RR years ago when we were there, so that's why we are maybe looking for other things, but thanks for the differences between the trains......since our son was a baby last time, something to think about! :D

There are countless touring choices. "Outdoors, and history" covers a whole lot.

http://www.skagway.com is a start I would suggest, also Alaska Port of Calls books, Both Frommers and Fodors have them.

Are you open to hiking? bike rentals? car rental for the South Klondike Highway? Those are some easy last minute possibilities, except the car rental reservation. You know about the Park Service visitor center? http://www.nps.gov/klgo

You don't have any flights listed, but those certainly are= top choices.

The White Pass RR is actually VERY different from the Alaska RR, with Anchorage/Seward the star of the line. Anchorage/Denali the least scenic with trees and more trees- too many. :)

Thanks for these links. We'll be in Skagway and don't have anything planned as we did the RR a bunch of years ago.

Thanks for these links. We'll be in Skagway and don't have anything planned as we did the RR a bunch of years ago.

LOL :D You sound like us! Going to check out the links as well and hoping to get some personal recommendations! ;)

We all like the outdoors as well as learning some history.......

Thanks!

Google Dyea for information about this ghost town. It is located about ten or so miles from Skagway and was the actual starting point for the Chilkoot Trail. The iconic photo of the Klondike gold rush of the stampeders climbing the ice stairs was taken on the Chilkoot Trail.

The Chilkoot Trail is still climbed today, so the National Park Service can provide information about it. At the abandoned Dyea townsite the NPS has done some mapping of Dyea's remnants and there is also a campground. Your family could find it interesting to visit the remnants and spend two hours or so walking out along the historic trail itself.

When we were in Skagway we did the rainforest bicycle tour as a cruise excursion and LOVED it! It was one of the highlights of our cruise. I think it was with Sockeye Cycle, but I'm not sure. The description on their website is exactly what we did. The guide also picked some berries for us and we saw a couple of bald eagles in a nest. It was beautiful and interesting. The cycling is super easy, so it's inappropriate if you're looking for a challenge, but great if you're just looking for an easy going outdoor activity in beautiful scenery and some history.

http://www.cyclealaska.com/rainforest-bicycle-tour-0

Yes - that is the problem - lots of choices! :rolleyes:

So looking for ones people have actually been on and can recommend....it is broad I know (outdoors and history) but would love to hear reviews to help us narrow down choices........

We did do the White Pass RR years ago when we were there, so that's why we are maybe looking for other things, but thanks for the differences between the trains......since our son was a baby last time, something to think about! :D

I do give first hand information. IF it isn't then I will source it, with a "my family" reference, (only other people I use) this has been for fishing and the Laughton glacier tour I referenced in the past month. Everything else I write on I have done. I do find, occasionally, glowing "recommendations" based on the booking process, but haven't gone on the tour yet. I don't find these too useful, when I'm going to new places, doing new activities.

I asked for some narrowing down, if possible. Alternatively- the references I mentioned, do offer good descriptions, use tripadvisor- which has the contact the writer feature. (get these every day)

Skagway is my fav port... ideas excluding WP railway...

• Trip to Yukon to see life up North
  • Liarsville for history
  • Klondike highway to understand the long journey
  • Tormented Valley
  • Red Onion for lip service

Combo excursions allow you to see/do more in the little time in the port. Here's a vid for excursion ideas

[YOUTUBE]F4PEcfMK1eY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Skagway is my fav port... ideas excluding WP railway...

• Trip to Yukon to see life up North
  • Liarsville for history
  • Klondike highway to understand the long journey
  • Tormented Valley
  • Red Onion for lip service

Combo excursions allow you to see/do more in the little time in the port. Here's a vid for excursion ideas

[YOUTUBE]F4PEcfMK1eY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

Great videos - thanks so much!!!:D