Camera people! Where do you put your not waterproof camera when you are in the ocean?

What are you going to attach it to, an umbrella?

To me that thing screams 'hey look I have some valuables!' Even if the potential thief cant get at the stuff inside while its attached then you could become a target for robbery when you leave the beach. I guess you could attach it to something then cover it up with a towel so its not so obvious...

I use a drawstring backpack and place my valuables as the very bottom then usually stuff my clothes and beach towel over those. I try to be careful about people seeing me take out and put in the valuable goods.

On another note the guys who rent out the beach chairs and are selling things on the beach are normally pretty good about watching peoples stuff too as they don't want the beaches to get a reputation for theft. I've even seen them run people down to return items accidently left or if they thought they were leaving and then lecture the tourist if they found out they were just going to the restroom.

Nobody has ever messed with my stuff and once I was with someone who pretty much left his DSLR in a bag on the beach. They key is to make sure its covered, not obvious and situated in a way that you can periodically check on it.

We are going to Bermuda early June (Tobacco Beach) and I am going with my two adult daughters. I don't intend to be in the water all day (I'm not a water baby as they both are!). I may go in and out 2-3 times during the course of an all day adventure there.

I'm going to rent a chair and will put my towel, magazine, etc on it when I'm in the water. I plan on taking some wonderful photos of the beautiful ocean and surroundings, but what the heck do I do with my camera? It's not a small digital one. It's larger than that (not one of the huge professional ones either). Is it safe to leave it on my chair?

I've cruised before, but have never brought my camera to the ocean, but I'd really like to take some shots there. Do you think it's safe to bring it?

Any advice?

Thanks

It's not safe but not for the reason that everyone else thinks.

You really don't want to take that camera to the beach at all. The biggest enemy of it is not theft, but sand. A scratched lens and that is the end of that camera. You would be amazed where just a little blowing sand or sand off a towel can get.

If you are holding it and constantly using it like a professional would it is much less likely to be damages, but even the pros don't like being near too much sand and go out of their way to protect their equipment.

Your best bet is to invest in a good water proof and shock proof camera and take it in the water with you.

It's not safe but not for the reason that everyone else thinks.

You really don't want to take that camera to the beach at all. The biggest enemy of it is not theft, but sand. A scratched lens and that is the end of that camera. You would be amazed where just a little blowing sand or sand off a towel can get.

If you are holding it and constantly using it like a professional would it is much less likely to be damages, but even the pros don't like being near too much sand and go out of their way to protect their equipment.

Your best bet is to invest in a good water proof and shock proof camera and take it in the water with you.

Wow! That thought honestly never crossed my mind. Can you tell I'm not a professional?! Would it make any difference if I just brought a regular small digital camera instead? Maybe that wouldn't get scratched by sand because it's smaller than the regular DSL, DVR, or whatever that darn camera is called! Told you I wasn't a professional...;)

Google 'tan safe beach safe' and you'll find it! Not sure about sites that ship to Norway but there's a big name gadget site that sells it so I imagine they ship worldwide :)

Cool idea. OP we just bought a waterproof camera for the beach. You can get a very good one for less than $200 and OK ones for less than $100. We found that solution cheaper than replacing our son's non waterproof cell phones that mysteriously hide away in his swim trunks on a semi regular basis.:(

Ocean and un-monitored can be two dangerous things

1) Even on busy beaches you should find adjacent tourist that are sleeping/sunning. If really worried ask the neighbor to watch your stuff. Its the locals you need to watch out for.

2) Keep valuables out of site, IE wallet, phone, camera tucked in a backpack/duffle bag

3) Salt water and sand can be terrible to fine electronics and optics not designed for this. Take care of any electronics that isn't waterproof, but a cheap waterproof from ebay can be had that is likely the equal of your iPhone or better for a couple hundred bucks.

Having said all that I have taken my multi thousand dollar cameras and lenses to the beach, got them rained on and stuff and with careful wipe off and dry off they are fine... :D

Ocean and un-monitored can be two dangerous things

1) Even on busy beaches you should find adjacent tourist that are sleeping/sunning. If really worried ask the neighbor to watch your stuff. Its the locals you need to watch out for.

2) Keep valuables out of site, IE wallet, phone, camera tucked in a backpack/duffle bag

3) Salt water and sand can be terrible to fine electronics and optics not designed for this. Take care of any electronics that isn't waterproof, but a cheap waterproof from ebay can be had that is likely the equal of your iPhone or better for a couple hundred bucks.

Having said all that I have taken my multi thousand dollar cameras and lenses to the beach, got them rained on and stuff and with careful wipe off and dry off they are fine... :D

What makes you think the person sitting next to you is honest? I would not agree to watch someone else's valuables. What if I want to leave the area? Now I am tied to that spot because I agreed to watch the valuables.

Cool idea. OP we just bought a waterproof camera for the beach. You can get a very good one for less than $200 and OK ones for less than $100. We found that solution cheaper than replacing our son's non waterproof cell phones that mysteriously hide away in his swim trunks on a semi regular basis.:(

I got a Fuji film camera for around $100 off an online auction site, and while it won't take professional quality photos, its waterproof, dustproof, sand proof and drop proof. And apparently temperature proof. I then bought a floating wrist band for it, so its either attached to my wrist, or if I drop it on the sea it will float! If you look for a camera that's a few years old and not the newest model it will be a lot cheaper, and in my very non professional opinion, the photos are just fine. Plus if it did get nicked I'd be more upset about the photos on it rather than the camera (so I do try and back then up every night while I'm away!)

I use a Panasonic TS5, a nice rugged, underwater camera with NFC, GPS, and wifi. It takes very nice underwater photos. It used to be about $300 but Panasonic just released the TS6, so you should see the price coming down quickly on the TS5. I used to have the TS25, which was a good camera, too, without the GPS and Wifi features. All of them are available at the usual suspects.

As was mentioned above, make sure you invest in a waterproof float strap. And leave your regular camera on the ship. Sand is a killer.

If you don't know what it is, you don't need it. [emoji1]. It stands for Near Field Communications, which allows enabled electronic devices to communicate with each other. So you can automatically transfer pictures to your smartphone (if you have the right phone)

If you don't know what it is, you don't need it. [emoji1]. It stands for Near Field Communications, which allows enabled electronic devices to communicate with each other. So you can automatically transfer pictures to your smartphone (if you have the right phone)

What if you have the left phone?