Inside passage ex Vancouver or ex Seattle

kazda

Hi

Just when I thought I had worked out what cruise to go on (NCL Glacier Bay ex Seattle), my research has shown that departing from Seattle you don't get to see much of the "inside passage" until after Ketchikan and before arriving back in Seattle.

On the home run back to Seattle, Would the stretch of the passage between Ketchikan and Seattle be worth it and would that also be classed as the real "inside passage" or would departing from Vancouver allow a better "inside passage" cruising experience re scenery etc.

Some cruise line brochures show the "inside Passage" as part of their intinerary after just leaving Ketchikan, so I'm guess I'm confused as to where the "inside passage" actually is.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

thanks

Karen

The "Inside Passage" is Southeast Alaska. Personally, I would never go out of Seattle over Vancouver. The scenery heading north from Vancouver inside Vancouver Island is spectacular, and the chance of seeing orcas in Johnstone Strait once the salmon are running. I don't know if the Pearl goes inside Vancouver Island on the return, but if so, a good portion would be at night. Also, if it is stormy the passage outside Vancouver Island if you leave from Seattle can be very rough.

I've always regarded the "Inside Passage" to include the transit through Canadian waters, but it's just terminology. The scenery on the sheltered waters east of Vancouver Island is splendid and I would pick it over the open ocean transit west of Vancouver Island (Seattle departures) any day of the week.

The cruise you are thinking of taking should have an itinerary map showing you the most likely route the cruise will follow.

Seattle departures/returns can spend more time in the open Pacific Ocean, whereas Vancouver departures sail "inside" Vancouver Island. Ketchikan North to Juneau is what I believe is actually the "Inside Passage". But the Captain can/and does have the right to alter the route.

If you do a google search for Southeast Alaska Inside Passage, a lot of maps and information will come up.

All Alaska cruise sail "inside passage" it's a very general term.

But, to answer your question, from Ketchian back to Seattle, is a LOT of open ocean on this itinerary.

The only timeframe where this may be an advantage is in the first 3 weeks of May catching the humpback migration.

I've done round trip's out of Seattle and one ways that do Vancouver. While the one ways are nicer in the gaining of an additional day not doing a round trip, don't fret too much the views on the other 5 days are very good. BTW you get Glacier Bay so it should still be a good trip, IMHO.

Thanks so much for all the replies, they have all been helpful.

BQ, Your right on the money when you say "inside passage" is a very general term, as now I've noticed a lot of the cruises that state "inside passage" but they don't go "inside" Vancouver Island.

We are now looking at doing a one way Ex Whittier to Vancouver on Princess line as they seem to also spend a bit longer in some ports over the 7 day return trips and we would get to also see Hubbards Glacier.

So many options to consider, before I started researching I simply thought it was a matter of 'just booking' an Alaskan cruise. Now I definitely know better thanks to this forum.

Edited by kazda
more info

Don't depend on the maps being accurate. Last year on Celebrity Solstice on the first cruise of the season departing from Vancouver and returning to Seattle the map indicated we went east of Vancouver Island. Not the case! Went south and then around the outside of Vancouver Island.

Thanks so much for all the replies, they have all been helpful.

BQ, Your right on the money when you say "inside passage" is a very general term, as now I've noticed a lot of the cruises that state "inside passage" but they don't go "inside" Vancouver Island.

We are now looking at doing a one way Ex Whittier to Vancouver on Princess line as they seem to also spend a bit longer in some ports over the 7 day return trips and we would get to also see Hubbards Glacier.

So many options to consider, before I started researching I simply thought it was a matter of 'just booking' an Alaskan cruise. Now I definitely know better thanks to this forum.

You are way ahead of the game. :) Many people make a lot of wrong assumptions, with it always being better to be informed, and knowing what you are booking.

With a one way, I also advocate adding at least another week and tour mainland. Taking advantage of being all the way there.

NCL on their northbound itinerary also includes Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, plus using Seward.

......Some cruise line brochures show the "inside Passage" as part of their intinerary after just leaving Ketchikan, so I'm guess I'm confused as to where the "inside passage" actually is.

"The Inside Passage is a coastal route for oceangoing vessels along a network of passages which weave through the islands on the Pacific coast of North America. The route extends from southeastern Alaska, in the United States, through western British Columbia, in Canada, to northwestern Washington state, in the United States"

per Wikipedia

All the Alaska cruises do travel at least some part of the Inside Passage, and therefore can authentically list "Inside Passage" in their cruise description.

However, the important distinction is that some Alaska cruises travel a great deal more of the Inside Passage than others.

That is why it is important to look at the route map and see which way the ship actually goes.

(Even though it may not always be completely accurate, at least it is better than nothing.)

In particular for the first or last parts of the cruise, it makes a huge difference whether you are cruising in the calm, scenic protected waters of the Inside Passage with views of little islands and mountains and lighthouses, or just cruising out in the open ocean far away from shore.

Edited by varoo