How quickly are cruises sold out

kazda

Hi

Looking at a few options for cuises late May / early June in 2016 and to my surprise a good portion of balcony cabins are already 'sold' as per the cruise lines website. Especially the balconies on the side which will provide a better view.

Would these cabins be really sold that far in advance or just sold by the cruiseline to a cruise agent for them to sell.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by kazda

Most of the port side balcony and mini-suite cabins are sold for our June 2016 southbound cruise. Only day it really can matter is Glacier Bay day. We will be on deck so no problem for us in our starboard cabin.

We booked a balcony stateroom on the Sept 5 sailing of the Crown Princess about a month ago. Just a few days later all the balconies were gone. The couple we're traveling with were forced to take an inside cabin and are on a waitlist for balcony if one opens.

We booked our cruise for September 2015 in December. When we were selecting balcony rooms I was surprised by how many were already taken. We didn't have any trouble, but I can imagine most of the "good" seats get snatched early.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was holding off booking our May 2016 cruise so it would coincide with when the booking for our flight opens.

(We're planning on using frequent flyer miles for the flight to US which don't become avail until end June this year)

Taking all the replies into account, I think I'll take a chance and book the cruise now hoping it coincides with our award flight availability dates when they are released in 7 weeks time, otherwise we may get the award flight but not the cruise we want :eek:.

Thanks again

Edited by kazda

Just keep in mind that you can make changes up until your final payment due date. If you want a particular cabin, I certainly wouldn't wait. Plus you don't want to book flights too far out. Flights generally are cheapest 3-6 months out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked our May 2015 cruise the day it was released at about noon, and most of the aft cabins were already full. By the end of the week, there were no aft cabins left. The best ones are taken early, and then the cruise line discounts the rest.

Often great deals are available around final payment time when travel agencies release cabins they were holding, passengers make last minute cancellations, and then the cruise lines drop the prices for those last minute closeouts on the remaining cabins.

Cruises that may appear to be sold out often really are not.

It helps a lot if you qualify for special category prices, as the cruise lines will often offer discounted prices to special categories, without needing to reduce the general posted prices available to the general public.

We have picked up some great cabins at bargain prices that way, even occasionally a prime suite for the price that an ordinary cabin would have cost if we had booked earlier.

But you can't count on that happening as some cruises sell out early, or a large group may book and there may not be any last minute availability at all.

Factors to consider are how much competition there is in that particular market and how flexible you are, as to dates, cabin requirements, and ability to get to the embarkation port.

Some people have limited vacation time and can only cruise on certain dates, while others can sit back, watch and wait, having a wide range of cruises and dates from which they can choose.

Edited by varoo