High water level on the Rhone

jklc123

We are currently on the Scenic Sapphire sailing south. We made it as far as Tournon before the flood stopped us. Spent 5 days stuck there. They bussed us to our excursions further south, but we are getting tired of the 4 to 6 hour drives on the buses. Yesterday they were finally able to move our ship to Viviers without passengers. They were hopeful we might be able to sail to Avignon today but we have passengers too ill to get off the ship now so unless they lift the restrictions on the river, we will be disembarking from Viviers tomorrow with a longer drive to Nice than disembarking from Avignon. It's been very much a bus tour of the south of France with very little cruising which has been disappointing, but what can you do? Scenic has done a fantastic job of trying to maintain as much of our daily excursion schedule as possible....but with buses instead of the ship. Everyone is tired. Many are sick with colds. It's been an experience!

Cathy

Really sorry to read your experiences. Most of us who enjoy river cruising know things can go not as planned. Most chose a cruise and do not want a bus trip. Hopefully your cruise operator will be acting to address your current situation. Best wishes.

Trillion: Hello neighbor! We are on the Catherine next door to you. Under the circumstances, I guess we've been lucky. After 3 days in Lyon, the ship has been able to move and our bus rides have been in 1 1/2 hours segments or less each day to see the ports promised plus some interesting experiences inland while we wait for the ship, without passengers, to catch up with us. Today we bus 1 1/2 hours to Avignon for a restaurant lunch (our restaurant lunch yesterday at a countryside resort hotel was fabulous) and a walking tour of Avignon. Or we can choose to go to Pont du Gard. We will miss Arles and Tarrascon but will be able to be transferred to Marseilles for flights.

We will hear shortly if the ship can sail with passengers, but anyone staying to finally cruise would miss seeing Avignon as the ship should arrive there about 5:00pm. Most of us will take the bus anyway.

For our inconvenience, due to Mother Nature not Uniworld, we have been given vouchers for $2000 credit each toward cruises in Europe and Russia, usable through 2017 on most of the Uniworld ships. We don't think Uniworld has the obligation to do this but we're happy they made the offer.

Update: the Catherine will sail to Avignon with passengers although the sundeck will be closed. Besides the two buses already mentioned, there is also the choice of a bus to Arles.

Final update about the Rhone, unless anyone has questions: We disembark Sunday morning. I asked the captain this evening if he can sail upriver as planned, and he said the river is now open and all should be well, although he will be fighting the strong current as he goes upriver. We were watching a Tauk cruise start upriver as we were talking.

Bon voyage to all future travelers on the Rhone!

Thanks for keeping us updated. Sounds like a difficult time for all - pleased to hear that Uniworld offered the vouchers. Did you visit Avignon or Arles?

When you're home and settled please post some pictures, especially interested in the town with Roman ruins that you visited, Vienne. And of course, the Seine portion of the cruise...

Safe travels home.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JP and Chris

My tardy reply to your message. I haven't yet figured out how to post photos on CC, but I can at least tell you that we just had an afternoon & night in Avignon due to the delay caused by the high water. We had the choice of seeing Avignon in the afternoon or taking a bus to Pont du Gard or a bus to Arles. We choose to explore Avignon, which we enjoyed, instead of another 45 minute bus ride.

Happy trails!

Hi JP and Chris

My tardy reply to your message. I haven't yet figured out how to post photos on CC, but I can at least tell you that we just had an afternoon & night in Avignon due to the delay caused by the high water. We had the choice of seeing Avignon in the afternoon or taking a bus to Pont du Gard or a bus to Arles. We choose to explore Avignon, which we enjoyed, instead of another 45 minute bus ride.

Happy trails!

Thanks for letting me know. Glad Avignon was a good time, but wish you'd had more time in the South. Oh well, it's all nice. We're off to safari soon so I'll look for your pictures when we come back!