What am I missing?

coldflame

Booked a 7-nighter early next year aboard brand-spanking new Escape. Got a very good balcony room with great location (actually, we had to downgrade from mini suite for better location, price was relatively the same). All of my family (2AD + 2CH) + $50 off each shore excursion, less than $3K after taxes and fees and all that. What am I missing in this price since it seems like deep-discount a cruise line would do for a ship about to hit the ship yard for scraps, not a brand new, off-the-builder mega ship. TIA.

Kids sail free made it cheaper?

I quoted with roughly same itinerary and dates with another cruise line w/ kids cruise free and it was a bit over $4K. Also, I'm not complaining it's so affordable. I just get the feeling there will charges for stuff I'm not aware of (I know booze and soda pkgs have to be bought separately)

I am a Disney nut... But booked our cruise with NCL because it is quite a bit cheaper than DCL... Maybe that is what you are missing... No Disney magic, but an awesome cruise on a new NCL ship for cheaper. We'll be doing the escape too in 23 months lol. I thought it was a steal because our cruise last month was 11 days... 7 is for sure cheaper than 11! :)

Booked a 7-nighter early next year aboard brand-spanking new Escape. Got a very good balcony room with great location (actually, we had to downgrade from mini suite for better location, price was relatively the same). All of my family (2AD + 2CH) + $50 off each shore excursion, less than $3K after taxes and fees and all that. What am I missing in this price since it seems like deep-discount a cruise line would do for a ship about to hit the ship yard for scraps, not a brand new, off-the-builder mega ship. TIA.

Last year, when we booked the Getaway, it was MUCH more expensive than our Escape cruise ... and we have the free UBP this time. The Getaway did end up coming down a lot in price the closer it got to sailing, but still ... we are still at less money with the Escape, plus the added UBP makes it almost a "free" sailing.

Booked escape, balcony. 2 adult, 1 child. Ultimate beverage package included. AARP discount (any age can join). With all taxes and fees I am just under $2300. No other cruise line was close. When a deal is a deal jump on it.

$552 including tax for a Getaway studio (Dec. 2016 sailing) they know we'll spend money on drinks, or gambling, or excursions, or fine dining, or shopping. NCL gets you in the door at a lower price and you make it up in spending. I would be cautious of my spending on Disney or Celebrity or Princess because the upfront cost is way out of my budget. If someone doesn't spend, they get a heck of a bargain!

The excursion credit will cost you a bundle in the long run

You can cab it to a beach for $20...$40 roundtrip approx for an entire day or you can pay $39/49 a head approx for an Ncl "beach bash" excursion for 3 hours. That's just one example and what about a port you just want to stay onboard for? Or DIY?

So to use the per port excursion obc you must book an overpriced Ncl excursion for your entire family....unless you are leaving them onboard of course lol

It's excursion obc per cabin not person

Stupid perk IMHO and will be very costly for you in the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

You can cab it to a beach for $20...$40 roundtrip approx for an entire day or you can pay $39/49 a head approx for an Ncl "beach bash" excursion for 3 hours. That's just one example and what about a port you just want to stay onboard for? Or DIY?

So to use the per port excursion obc you must book an overpriced Ncl excursion for your entire family....unless you are leaving them onboard of course lol

I agree. This is one of the promos that NCL *IS* making money on!

Harriet

I agree. This is one of the promos that NCL *IS* making money on!

Harriet

Of course many first time cruisers just expect to take ships excursions or are still too nervous to DIY or do the private route

Just cements my theory that Ncl is looking to entice the inexperienced cruiser who is none the wiser

This excursion obc allows Ncl to create their own demand

Just like restricting take out food

Fdr is very very good.

Of course many first time cruisers just expect to take ships excursions or are still too nervous to DIY or do the private route

Just cements my theory that Ncl is looking to entice the inexperienced cruiser who is none the wiser

This excursion obc allows Ncl to create their own demand

Just like restricting take out food

Fdr is very very good.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion so fast. I've been in 7 x DCL cruises in the last 3 years and a handful more a decade before that with Royal and Celeb (the 10-yr hiatus thanks to school, work and kids). I still do the cruise-line organized excursions, specially the ones that are long and you take a catamaran, go snorkeling, etc. They are a lot less likely to leave you (and a bunch of other passengers) behind should your excursion run into time issues. Whereas if you go DYI, they might not be as patient. For short trips, like "beach breaks", yes, makes sense to cab it. But we rarely do those and usually go for the more involved ones.

I am a Disney nut... But booked our cruise with NCL because it is quite a bit cheaper than DCL... Maybe that is what you are missing... No Disney magic, but an awesome cruise on a new NCL ship for cheaper. We'll be doing the escape too in 23 months lol. I thought it was a steal because our cruise last month was 11 days... 7 is for sure cheaper than 11! :)

~ $4000 cheaper, actually. EC on the Fantasy, Cat 4D cabin (comparable to Escape's balcony room sq. footage) in mid Jan I'm getting quotes $6500+

I loved cruising with them when they were a bit expensive, yet reasonable. Now it's simply unjustifiable. I give them a few months to quietly roll the prices back down given that I've seen a small exodus of fans "dabbling" with other cruise lines.

I wasn't sure if it was X to spend on excursions.. so 7 x $50 = $350 available to spend on any 1 or more excursions or $50 off each booked excursion.

I wasn't sure if it was X to spend on excursions.. so 7 x $50 = $350 available to spend on any 1 or more excursions or $50 off each booked excursion.

$50 / room not per day. I wish! So, basically whatever on-shore excursion charges your family has, they charge back $50 for each day there's an excursion. days-at-sea do not count.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion so fast. I've been in 7 x DCL cruises in the last 3 years and a handful more a decade before that with Royal and Celeb (the 10-yr hiatus thanks to school, work and kids). I still do the cruise-line organized excursions, specially the ones that are long and you take a catamaran, go snorkeling, etc. They are a lot less likely to leave you (and a bunch of other passengers) behind should your excursion run into time issues. Whereas if you go DYI, they might not be as patient. For short trips, like "beach breaks", yes, makes sense to cab it. But we rarely do those and usually go for the more involved ones.

I do cruise line excursions as well when I choose and usually for the more involved ones as well....but many ports just scream DIY...and I would not be inclined to ever book all excursions thru the ship on any cruise so I guess I would lose the phony perk. Lol

However this phony excursion obc is forcing a pax to use the ships overpriced tours even if a DIY is simple and common.....like a simple cheap taxi ride to the beach

Now what about a family of 4 or 6? Paying for that many ships excursions in order to get $75 or $50 off is not always a smart move

I just don't think it's a great perk but not all cruisers especially new cruisers will realize that.

Doesn't really make a difference anyway because it really is a genius perk on the part if Ncl

They have found a way to create a large demand for their excursions.....even in ports where ship excursions are not needed

Edited by luvtheships

$50 / room not per day. I wish! So, basically whatever on-shore excursion charges your family has, they charge back $50 for each day there's an excursion. days-at-sea do not count.

I thought it was $75?

Oh well $50 just proves the point it's a silly perk

So no Ncl booked excursion means no $50 for that day. Lol.

I thought it was $75?

Oh well $50 just proves the point it's a silly perk

So no Ncl booked excursion means no $50 for that day. Lol.

Last month, April, was $75.00. This month, May, is $50.00.

Harriet