Question re Istanbul Embarkation

AJs Grandpa

We are beginning a cruise in Istanbul next month. We are arriving two days early and have a local guide booked for as long as we like on the day of departure. We'd like to take as much advantage of that time as possible. The itinerary on My Princess says check in is 1:00PM to 4:00PM with an 11:00PM departure.

Does anyone have experience with this port? Are the check-in times simply the preferred times with later times available? If not, I assume we can check-in, make our initial boarding then leave again until closer to departure. Correct?

Yes, I will call Princess, but as has been repeatedly documented here, such specific and port-specific questions may not yield the correct answer. I'd love to hear from someone with actual experience.

We are beginning a cruise in Istanbul next month. We are arriving two days early and have a local guide booked for as long as we like on the day of departure. We'd like to take as much advantage of that time as possible. The itinerary on My Princess says check in is 1:00PM to 4:00PM with an 11:00PM departure.

Does anyone have experience with this port? Are the check-in times simply the preferred times with later times available? If not, I assume we can check-in, make our initial boarding then leave again until closer to departure. Correct?

Yes, I will call Princess, but as has been repeatedly documented here, such specific and port-specific questions may not yield the correct answer. I'd love to hear from someone with actual experience.

Boarding in Istanbul should begin around Noon. You can drop off your bags starting approx 10:00am. Not sure if the prior cruise is an overnight but barring any issues with the disembarkation of that cruise you should be good to go. :)

Because its an 11:00pm departure many will be arriving all day and into the night.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thank you for responding.

Yes, the prior cruise ends with an overnight in Istanbul.

Please excuse me for being specific. I understand the earlier check in. However, you say "...many will be arriving all day and into the night..." So, are you saying check-in is allowed after 4PM?

Edited by AJs Grandpa

Thank you for responding.

Yes, the prior cruise ends with an overnight in Istanbul.

Please excuse me for being specific. I understand the earlier check in. However, you say "...many will be arriving all day and into the night..." So, are you saying check-in is allowed after 4PM?

Yes there will be some sort of check-in all day, there has to be.

People coming from all over the world you know there will be issues and also late arriving flights etc and those that just arrive late anyway. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yes there will be some sort of check-in all day, there has to be.

People coming from all over the world you know there will be issues and also late arriving flights etc and those that just arrive late anyway. :)

Makes sense.

We have many cruises under our belt including several in Europe/Med, but this is our first boarding with such a late departure. The late departure combined with the relatively exotic nature of Istanbul (departing on a Saturday in a Muslim country) caused me to wonder if logic and reality intersected.

Thanks again.

If you go to the cruise terminal sometime after the initial check-in crowd has depleted, you could drop your bags, do your check-in and perhaps even take any carry-on items to your cabin in a relatively short amount of time. Then you'd have the benefit of accurate details regarding your return time to the ship and could be more relaxed about your touring for the rest of the day/evening.

One other thing regarding late departure... We sailed out of Puerto Rico last month with an 8:30pm departure. The all-on-board was for 6:00pm to participate in the emergency drill at 7:00pm. You may want to know when that is taking place.

We are beginning a cruise in Istanbul next month. .

I have never done an embarkation-day at Istanbul, but as a port of call on several occasions.

I am sure that you have your homework done already.

It is a beautiful city, so very rich in history.

Regarded as a poor country, I can honestly say that i never seen so many BMW's in the street of any city, except in Istanbul.

So read that as you will.

Turkish people are nice, and so good looking I am sure that you will be charmed by their warm personalities.

I hope that you get to appreciate the city.

If you go to the cruise terminal sometime after the initial check-in crowd has depleted, you could drop your bags, do your check-in and perhaps even take any carry-on items to your cabin in a relatively short amount of time. Then you'd have the benefit of accurate details regarding your return time to the ship and could be more relaxed about your touring for the rest of the day/evening.

This is the safest option. Return times and muster drill times can change up until the very last minute, so it's best to find out once you're onboard. Then, if time permits, you can get off the ship and do a little more touring.

Turkey is a secular country. Yes, most of them are Muslim. Work week is Mon. -Friday. Museums will be open but close on Mondays. A friend's mother bought a beautiful scarf, much cheaper than in the big bazar, in the Phanar (Fener) district. We will be on that cruise too. Not sure if we are going to Phanar that trip or another time.

Turkey is a secular country. Yes, most of them are Muslim. Work week is Mon. -Friday. Museums will be open but close on Mondays.

Some close on days other than Monday.

Note: Ship's tour can often go to the "closed" attractions while independent travelers can not.