Can I use UBP to order cocktails if in a suite?

I booked a penthouse suite for my Alaskan cruise and notice that cocktails are now on the room service menu. I was wondering if I will be able to order them at no charge since I have the UBP? I have only cruised NCL once before and it was in a mini-suite so I am not sure of what the "rules" are for a penthouse. Thanks in advance!

No, the UBP excludes room service.

However, if you are in the Haven, the Haven bar or the servers there can get you drinks with the UBP, no problem.

http://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Edit: Missed where you said "penthouse" -- yup, no butler / room service for UBP, according to the rules. But rules are made to be broken... especially by butlers... doesn't hurt to ask, just happily accept whatever answer you receive.

Edited by triptolemus

So if you are in the Haven and have UBP, they will bring you drinks in your room?

Or just to the Haven?

Thanks.

Delivered to you while you are in the Haven itself, no charge with the UBP. Delivered as a room service item, then a charge.

Is it okay to carry a glass of wine I got in a bar using UBP back to my penthouse to drink on my balcony?

No problem. You can take your beverages anywhere you'd like on the ship. (Except to Muster)

Just returned from a cruise on the Dawn. Had purchased the drink package before the trip. Astonished to find that with the drink package, we could not have a drink delivered to our mini suite. If we were NOT on the package, we could order and have a drink delivered and charged to our on board charge card. How stupid is that. We complained to the Beverage Director and he made an exception for us! We still had a lot of frustration with a "long" pour glass of wine. Most waiters were not aware that a drink up to $11.00 each were allowed on the package. A lot of confusion reigned, with us having to call the beverage manager a few times to educate the bar staff. Somewhat frustrating for all!

Candyapple...this is why it is so important to do your homework before sailing. It is clearly spelled out in the T&C as to what is covered and what is excluded. Unfortunately, you spent valuable cruising time on something that could have been easily avoided. Glad that it got sorted out though...

Just returned from a cruise on the Dawn. Had purchased the drink package before the trip. Astonished to find that with the drink package, we could not have a drink delivered to our mini suite. If we were NOT on the package, we could order and have a drink delivered and charged to our on board charge card. How stupid is that. We complained to the Beverage Director and he made an exception for us! We still had a lot of frustration with a "long" pour glass of wine. Most waiters were not aware that a drink up to $11.00 each were allowed on the package. A lot of confusion reigned, with us having to call the beverage manager a few times to educate the bar staff. Somewhat frustrating for all!

I'm really surprised they wouldn't let you pay for a beverage ordered through room service because you have the UBP.

I'm really surprised they wouldn't let you pay for a beverage ordered through room service because you have the UBP.

I bet if you think it through from a logistical perspective, you won't be quite as surprised.

Edited by triptolemus

I bet if you think it through from a logistical perspective, you won't be quite as surprised.

I agree with tou totally. I am in suites and I would not expect this service. Just imagine if EVERYONE who booked the UBP had 3 drinks a day delivered to their cabin. The 18% would not cover the manpower needed.

I agree with tou totally. I am in suites and I would not expect this service. Just imagine if EVERYONE who booked the UBP had 3 drinks a day delivered to their cabin. The 18% would not cover the manpower needed.

My question was, why couldn't you order a drink via room service, and be charged, like the folks who don't have the USB? Isn't that what the OP wanted to do? NCL clearly states that room service drinks don't fall under the USB, but what if a passenger wants to pay for it (same as using the mini-bar)?

My question was, why couldn't you order a drink via room service, and be charged, like the folks who don't have the USB? Isn't that what the OP wanted to do? NCL clearly states that room service drinks don't fall under the USB, but what if a passenger wants to pay for it (same as using the mini-bar)?

No, the OP had the UBP and wanted to know if they could order drinks and NOT be charged - due to the fact that they had the UBP.

Of course, the answer is no. OBP does not include room service delivery. OP could, of course, order drinks and pay for the drink and the 18% gratuity if they decided to do that rather than to get their own drink and bring it back to their room.

Harriet

Alrighty then - thanks for not answering the question?

Did you see a question here? Because I don't see a question.

No, the OP had the UBP and wanted to know if they could order drinks and NOT be charged - due to the fact that they had the UBP.

Of course, the answer is no. OBP does not include room service delivery. OP could, of course, order drinks and pay for the drink and the 18% gratuity if they decided to do that rather than to get their own drink and bring it back to their room.

Harriet

My PP was to candy apple. I was under the impression that her complaint was that she couldn't have the option of paying for her room service drink. It would be great if the USB included room service, but obviously that would be crazy! Fortunately, DH didn't mind running up for our balcony beverages, and he usually managed to grab two for each of us.

My PP was to candy apple. I was under the impression that her complaint was that she couldn't have the option of paying for her room service drink. It would be great if the USB included room service, but obviously that would be crazy! Fortunately, DH didn't mind running up for our balcony beverages, and he usually managed to grab two for each of us.

Ahh, okay. :) However, I just re-read Candy apple and the way I read it was that the spoke to the beverage manager and got an exception to the rule and was allowed to order drinks to the room UNDER the UBP, therefore, no paying.

Candy apple.......can you further explain. Were you looking for your UBP to include room service drinks at no charge......or were you upset you could not order a drink through room service and pay for it yourself?

Harriet

Ahh, okay. :) However, I just re-read Candy apple and the way I read it was that the spoke to the beverage manager and got an exception to the rule and was allowed to order drinks to the room UNDER the UBP, therefore, no paying.

Candy apple.......can you further explain. Were you looking for your UBP to include room service drinks at no charge......or were you upset you could not order a drink through room service and pay for it yourself?

Harriet

I'll try to explain further. Cruise was for twelve days.We paid $1367.68 U.S. ($1644.38 CDN) for the UBP. We did achieve "special" dispensation allowing us to order drinks delivered to the cabin at no additional cost. My reasoning for seeking this was based on cost paid versus service received. It was not going to cost Norwegian any more to serve us in the room than it would have for us to attend any bar/restaurant and order drinks. It just didn't make sense from where I sit. To tell us that we could order drinks in the room and be charged for them, negated the purchase of the UBP, in my opinion. In hindsight, we would have been better off not buying the UBP. Norwegian made a profit from our cost paid for this option, but based on drink costs, are still making a hefty profit, either way. On occasion, we did order drinks at a bar, and returned to our room to finish drinking them.

I'll try to explain further. Cruise was for twelve days.We paid $1367.68 U.S. ($1644.38 CDN) for the UBP. We did achieve "special" dispensation allowing us to order drinks delivered to the cabin at no additional cost. My reasoning for seeking this was based on cost paid versus service received. It was not going to cost Norwegian any more to serve us in the room than it would have for us to attend any bar/restaurant and order drinks. It just didn't make sense from where I sit. To tell us that we could order drinks in the room and be charged for them, negated the purchase of the UBP, in my opinion. In hindsight, we would have been better off not buying the UBP. Norwegian made a profit from our cost paid for this option, but based on drink costs, are still making a hefty profit, either way. On occasion, we did order drinks at a bar, and returned to our room to finish drinking them.

But when you purchased the UBP, the terms were it could not be used for room service. Since you misunderstood, why not just cancel the package, orde a bar set-up, OT a wine package? Why should you be entitled to a service that wasn't offered? I get it, people make mistakes, don't understand what they are purchasing, but that's on the consumer.

But when you purchased the UBP, the terms were it could not be used for room service. Since you misunderstood, why not just cancel the package, orde a bar set-up, OT a wine package? Why should you be entitled to a service that wasn't offered? I get it, people make mistakes, don't understand what they are purchasing, but that's on the consumer.

I guess I was basically trying to understand the logic in not having drinks delivered to the cabin, versus stepping outside our cabin and up a flight of stairs to the nearest bar. The cost to NCL was the same, either way. I just can't agree with a policy that doesn't hold merit. It's one of the things that in my humble opinion, needs to be addressed by NCL.

I guess I was basically trying to understand the logic in not having drinks delivered to the cabin, versus stepping outside our cabin and up a flight of stairs to the nearest bar. The cost to NCL was the same, either way. I just can't agree with a policy that doesn't hold merit. It's one of the things that in my humble opinion, needs to be addressed by NCL.

Really? No difference in cost for you to walk up to any bar vs. having someone deliver to your cabin. Was a person not attached to the delivery tray? I sure see the difference. You bitched about something you did not buy in your contract. Just because you do not agree with a A Policy doesn't make it an entitlement. That is just my opinion.

Really? No difference in cost for you to walk up to any bar vs. having someone deliver to your cabin. Was a person not attached to the delivery tray? I sure see the difference. You bitched about something you did not buy in your contract. Just because you do not agree with a A Policy doesn't make it an entitlement. That is just my opinion.

No, it isn't. It's a fact.