should we switch hotels in Venice

ingy79

We are a family of five staying for two nights in Venice before our cruise. We currently have a reservation (which can be cancelled) for the Corte Grimani apartments which get really good reviews. However, I am becoming a little concerned about getting to the ship on the day we leave. Having look at the map, I think that we will have a 2.2 km walk with five heavy roller suitcases over cobbled streets and bridges. The only alternative that I can see is to walk a little less and get a vaporetto for €7 per person to Piazzale Roma but I have read somewhere that it can be difficult to get room for your suitcases. Am I correct about both of these options or are there other transport options available? Failing that, are we better to cancel and book somewhere much closer to Piazzale Roma (although perhaps not as nice)? Any advice greatly appreciated

We are a family of five staying for two nights in Venice before our cruise. We currently have a reservation (which can be cancelled) for the Corte Grimani apartments which get really good reviews. However, I am becoming a little concerned about getting to the ship on the day we leave. Having look at the map, I think that we will have a 2.2 km walk with five heavy roller suitcases over cobbled streets and bridges. The only alternative that I can see is to walk a little less and get a vaporetto for €7 per person to Piazzale Roma but I have read somewhere that it can be difficult to get room for your suitcases. Am I correct about both of these options or are there other transport options available? Failing that, are we better to cancel and book somewhere much closer to Piazzale Roma (although perhaps not as nice)? Any advice greatly appreciated

The Alilaguna water taxi offers service directly to port and allows luggage. That is what we will be using.

The issue is not the distance to the Piazzale Roma, it is the huge number of bridges to cross along the way with heavy suitcases. You DO NOT want to do this! Your best option, other than private water taxi, to get to your hotel and then to the port would be the Alilaguna.

how are you getting TO Corte Grimani ? isn't that a concern ?

If you have multiple suitcases that have to be taken over multiple bridges, it might be a problem for you. We don't know your level of mobility or amount of luggage so it's impossible for us to say.

The alilaguna is an option ... your hotel web site provides directions for the alilaguna stop. Just keep in mind that only the blue line goes to the pier so you will have to transfer. http://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/lines-map

(Or a private water taxi would be about 80E )

Do not change hotels.

Do not let your bags take you away from an amazing hotel for 2 nights.

Did you really fly over to Italy to let your bags dictate where you are going to stay.

There are 5 of you, just take a private water taxi that will pick you up right at the front door.

Trust me on this. I was in Europe for 3.5 weeks last year and this hotel was our last stop and it was BY FAR our best accommodations.

Edited by bugeater2