New Dining Policy -- Official as of 4:20 EST

coldflame

Not "old" by any means. That announcement is the first that has lumped the buffet into the restaurant group. If true, there will be a serious issue on our upcoming cruises.

can you tell me what this is about thanks liz

can you tell me what this is about thanks liz

The OP deleted the link, for whatever reason :rolleyes:

Here is the article

(4:20 p.m. EDT) -- Norwegian Cruise Line has banned "takeaway" food from its ship restaurants, main dining room and buffet areas.

In other words, if you want to bring food to someone in your cabin or bring your dessert back to your room to enjoy later, you won't be able to do so.

The new policy was confirmed in a statement by Vanessa Picariello, senior director of public relations for Norwegian. The line also posted it on the Cruise Critic message boards.

"For our guests' well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants."

It's an unusual policy within the cruise industry, which has generally allowed passengers to not only carry drinks from bar to room, but also to bring plates of food to their cabins.

The "takeaway" rule has prompted a rush of comments on the Cruise Critic Norwegian board, from both supporters and opponents.

"No one in their right mind would take a 'doggy bag' back to the cabin after a meal in a specialty restaurant," says user zqvol. "Hopefully this is true and enforcement is easy -- don't have anything to put the leftovers in. You want to haul a dirty plate around the ship like a clown -- have at it."

Other members are not as convinced. "If it is a 'heath & safety' issue then you would of heard it from national TV, etc. And this would affect all cruise lines and not just NCL," says SAILPRO.

Member Wendy&Grumpy questions the timing. "Because if it was truly about 'a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy' it would have been done long ago, rather than coinciding with a $7.95 charge for room service."

Trevor Fountain sums up the debate by saying, "I try to stick to the rules and if I don't like them I take my future business elsewhere."

Also key to the discussion: How the line will enforce the policy. "Guests will be asked to enjoy their meal in the restaurant," Picariello said.

Norwegian recently rolled out a $7.95 fleetwide service charge for room service orders, expanded its room service menus, amended its pizza delivery program and reduced many specialty dining prices by a nickel. It also waived the cover charge for 12 of the line's Asian restaurants.

If I want to take a few cookies back to my room for the good ol' midnight snack, I'll be darned if they're going to tell me no, but they can bring them to me, all for the low low price of $7.95.

We were *thinking* of NCL. That thought has completely left my head now.

That is new and going to make a lot of people unhappy. It was a non-issue for us until they included the buffet.

Yep. Me too. 1 - they aren't going to stop me from taking a plate from the buffet; and 2 - they definitely won't be stopping the cops and firefighters I'm sailing with! :D

No one wants to be stuck inside eating lunch. At least not in my group. We always eat outside on the pool deck. Free UBP or not, this will be a huge game changer if this is true.

I really think Cruise Critic made a mistake in their article.

That is new and going to make a lot of people unhappy. It was a non-issue for us until they included the buffet.

Totally agree. I always bring back coffee and lite breakfast in the morning for us and get a plate of cheese and crackers late in the afternoon. WTH?

I have a PH suite on the Pearl next July and was just going to pay in full because I got all 4 of the promos last month, but have decided to keep my money until final payment is due. I know most of the changes don't affect me yet but who knows what the next year will bring. Who knows I might find a better deal before then.

I did ask Cruise Critic to check, because from all reports, since the no take out food policy was enacted, no one has been told they can not take anything out of the buffet and they have reported that they in fact did take food from the buffet.

I doubt the buffet is included, if only for the fact that there are not that many seats there and passengers take food to eat at the pool and also take food (at least on the Pearl) into the Italian restaurant for overflow seats and most importantly in NCL's response they never mentioned the buffet.

Hopefully, Cruise Critic will find out if the buffet is included and report back, so that folks can continue to be upset or relieved that it is not included.

I am going to very loosely give NCL the benefit of the doubt, and say that Cruise Critic got the facts wrong on this. I can't imagine ANY cruise line not allowing people to remove food from the buffet. Lots of people like to eat outside - whether it's in a chair, or on their lounger by the pool. I just can't fathom a cruise line even remotely thinking they could stop this, or even that it would be ok to suggest that one couldn't do it. I think it's a mistake on CC's part.

I just became "one of those" disheartened with this. I will not be told where to eat or not eat my buffet food. I think my next cruise on NCL might not happen now. I've just done a restricted smoking cruise but though awkward, I survived. This new buffet thing is sure leaving negative emotions.

This change is ridiculous. On cruises, I like to go early to the gym, workout, then eat breakfast in the buffet. I usually bring DW coffee, yogurt and either fruit or a roll. She is not a big breakfast person.

I guess this is no more.

Next Del Rio edict will be passengers not allowed to put own water/soda into mini bar fridge (for health and safety of course) but you can always buy water from the fridge for your convenience ..
You know, I never understood why cruise lines allow passengers to bring on soda and water, since onboard drinks is a large part of their revenue. When I first started cruising, I never remember anyone bringing their own soda or water with them, but maybe I just never noticed. I guess it is a good thing I don't run the company.

When opting for the buffet for breakfast and/or lunch, we take the food with us to the pool area. Unless a NCL employee is going to wrestle it from my hands, I will continue to do so.

Agree 100%!

I am going to very loosely give NCL the benefit of the doubt, and say that Cruise Critic got the facts wrong on this. I can't imagine ANY cruise line not allowing people to remove food from the buffet. Lots of people like to eat outside - whether it's in a chair, or on their lounger by the pool. I just can't fathom a cruise line even remotely thinking they could stop this, or even that it would be ok to suggest that one couldn't do it. I think it's a mistake on CC's part.

Either a small mistake from CC or a BFO mistake from NCL.

Scanners at the buffet entrance to catch food smugglers; no longer 'washy-washy happy-happy' but 'strippy-searchy strippy-searchy':rolleyes:

Just one example of a frequent cruiser's posts:

Posted by June123: Well i can confirm that you could take food from the buffet to eat where ever you wanted on the Epic last week . We would occasionally take out a snack for later and saw lots of people doing the same .Hope this is a help to you all

The OP deleted the link, for whatever reason :rolleyes:

Here is the article

(4:20 p.m. EDT) -- Norwegian Cruise Line has banned "takeaway" food from its ship restaurants, main dining room and buffet areas.

In other words, if you want to bring food to someone in your cabin or bring your dessert back to your room to enjoy later, you won't be able to do so.

The new policy was confirmed in a statement by Vanessa Picariello, senior director of public relations for Norwegian. The line also posted it on the Cruise Critic message boards.

"For our guests' well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants."

It's an unusual policy within the cruise industry, which has generally allowed passengers to not only carry drinks from bar to room, but also to bring plates of food to their cabins.

The "takeaway" rule has prompted a rush of comments on the Cruise Critic Norwegian board, from both supporters and opponents.

"No one in their right mind would take a 'doggy bag' back to the cabin after a meal in a specialty restaurant," says user zqvol. "Hopefully this is true and enforcement is easy -- don't have anything to put the leftovers in. You want to haul a dirty plate around the ship like a clown -- have at it."

Other members are not as convinced. "If it is a 'heath & safety' issue then you would of heard it from national TV, etc. And this would affect all cruise lines and not just NCL," says SAILPRO.

Member Wendy&Grumpy questions the timing. "Because if it was truly about 'a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy' it would have been done long ago, rather than coinciding with a $7.95 charge for room service."

Trevor Fountain sums up the debate by saying, "I try to stick to the rules and if I don't like them I take my future business elsewhere."

Also key to the discussion: How the line will enforce the policy. "Guests will be asked to enjoy their meal in the restaurant," Picariello said.

Norwegian recently rolled out a $7.95 fleetwide service charge for room service orders, expanded its room service menus, amended its pizza delivery program and reduced many specialty dining prices by a nickel. It also waived the cover charge for 12 of the line's Asian restaurants.

Thank you for the info----I guess on embarkation day they will not pushing everyone towards the buffet. Can't seat everyone- and then tell them they can't take the food outside to eat. I sail this sunday ,so we shall see what is said or happens when I try to take a dish back to my cabin.

Thank you for the info----I guess on embarkation day they will not pushing everyone towards the buffet. Can't seat everyone- and then tell them they can't take the food outside to eat. I sail this sunday ,so we shall see what is said or happens when I try to take a dish back to my cabin.

Excellent - we all look forward to hearing your report! :)

You know, I never understood why cruise lines allow passengers to bring on soda and water, since onboard drinks is a large part of their revenue. When I first started cruising, I never remember anyone bringing their own soda or water with them, but maybe I just never noticed. I guess it is a good thing I don't run the company.

Trying to be sensible for a minute - this would seem to be a simple (if unpopular) revenue raiser. I am also quite surprised the $15 wine corkage fee hasn't been 'enhanced for our convenience' either.

Oh wait - that might be next week's 'enhancement'...:rolleyes:

Either a small mistake from CC or a BFO mistake from NCL.

Scanners at the buffet entrance to catch food smugglers; no longer 'washy-washy happy-happy' but 'strippy-searchy strippy-searchy':rolleyes:

Hahaha gold!!