New Dining Policy -- Official as of 4:20 EST

coldflame

I disagree . Wouldn't cancelling now , and explaining that this action is directly a result of their changed policies , have a greater impact then the drips and drabs of drawn out cancellations ? If you want to have any impact ,cancellations should be done sooner then later .

It might, but what if someone rushed to cancel and later wish they didn't because they lost a great rate or perk... Or the policy changed. Not everyone can afford the high priced cruise lines. I suggest emailing the address listed earlier to give them an idea of just how many people are unhappy. I'm sure they have someone reading all these posts as well as the other social media sites. Cancel later if you still feel the same.

We have 11 people in the Haven in August 2016 on Breakaway. May double book Anthem and see what happens over the year. Sailed a few NCL ships and the Haven but now have two RCCL cruises booked for this year. Will see how this all plays out.

We have 11 people in the Haven in August 2016 on Breakaway. May double book Anthem and see what happens over the year. Sailed a few NCL ships and the Haven but now have two RCCL cruises booked for this year. Will see how this all plays out.

I've never been in the Haven... It has it's own restaurant right? I can't believe they would not let you take the food... It isn't out in the general public.

I am out. We booked our first NCL cruise in March. A suite on a 9 day Baltic in summer of 2016. We got in on the good promo with the tips, obc, udp, and ubp all included. I think we would be the type of clientele that FDR would want, as we are not terribly price sensitive and are willing to pay for service if we have confidence in a positive and enjoyable experience. Even though many of these changes don't impact the suites, I have no confidence in what the product I have purchased will be once I board. We are captives once on the ship, and who knows what other changes will be made in the next year? My parents, who have cruised fairly extensively both ocean and river cruises, were going to go with us in a balcony room and I am embarassed to have to tell them about some of these changes.

I have 3 kids. On a port intensive itinerary like the Baltics they will get tired. Sometimes I would rather get their food myself than have the butler do it. I would like to be able to do laundry myself rather than pay $30 for a bag. I would like the kids clubs to actually be open for lunch and dinner so my husband and I could have an adults only meal at a specialty dining venue. I like having milk for the kids available all the time. And I am willing to pay more for an experience where I do not keep getting hit with fees for my convenience. I don't think NCL is for people like me, although a couple months ago I was excited to give it a try.

We are cruising on Disney in 3 weeks and I will book onboard for next summer at that time. I have confidence in what I will receive. I expect prices to increase over time, but I want to know what I am buying. I know I am paying more, but am virtually guaranteed a great experience.

Once I have canceled, I will write NCL and tell them why. I am writing off the cost of the trip insurance I already purchased due to the pre-existing condition of my son's food allergies. They are not just losing old customers, but driving off new ones as well.

I am out. We booked our first NCL cruise in March.

I feel largely the same way. My husband and I are DINKs, travel in a suite, and thought it would be fun to try something different.:(

I find the recent changes really distasteful, and I'm seriously second guessing our decision. To me, the "take-out" food rule is a poorly disguised effort to force people to use the $7.95 room service if they want to dine on their balcony, want to feed their children in a quieter setting, or just plain don't feel like going out! The other change that rubs me the wrong way is the extra automatic tip tacked onto specialty dining. We very seldom go to the MDR or the buffet, and almost always add a tip at a specialty restaurant, but having it added automatically doesn't sit well with me, especially since I'm already tipping for service in venues I will never use.

When I make a final decision, if I cancel, I will be sure to inform NCL in writing of the reason(s) I cancelled.

I am out. We booked our first NCL cruise in March. A suite on a 9 day Baltic in summer of 2016. We got in on the good promo with the tips, obc, udp, and ubp all included. I think we would be the type of clientele that FDR would want, as we are not terribly price sensitive and are willing to pay for service if we have confidence in a positive and enjoyable experience. Even though many of these changes don't impact the suites, I have no confidence in what the product I have purchased will be once I board. We are captives once on the ship, and who knows what other changes will be made in the next year? My parents, who have cruised fairly extensively both ocean and river cruises, were going to go with us in a balcony room and I am embarassed to have to tell them about some of these changes.

I have 3 kids. On a port intensive itinerary like the Baltics they will get tired. Sometimes I would rather get their food myself than have the butler do it. I would like to be able to do laundry myself rather than pay $30 for a bag. I would like the kids clubs to actually be open for lunch and dinner so my husband and I could have an adults only meal at a specialty dining venue. I like having milk for the kids available all the time. And I am willing to pay more for an experience where I do not keep getting hit with fees for my convenience. I don't think NCL is for people like me, although a couple months ago I was excited to give it a try.

We are cruising on Disney in 3 weeks and I will book onboard for next summer at that time. I have confidence in what I will receive. I expect prices to increase over time, but I want to know what I am buying. I know I am paying more, but am virtually guaranteed a great experience.

Once I have canceled, I will write NCL and tell them why. I am writing off the cost of the trip insurance I already purchased due to the pre-existing condition of my son's food allergies. They are not just losing old customers, but driving off new ones as well.

You have concerns that have nothing to do with the recent changes so NCL is probably not a good fit for your family.

You have concerns that have nothing to do with the recent changes so NCL is probably not a good fit for your family.

There were a couple of things that were not ideal, like the laundry and kids clubs, but I knew about them and was still excited to try. I even knew about the DSC changes before I booked. I looked into the suite amenities and was convinced that could give me an experience that I wanted. For the difference in price, I reasoned, I could put up with a lot of "nickel and diming" and still come out ahead. And on a port heavy itinerary, I figured the ship itself wasn't that big a deal.

The sole reason I am canceling is because I have no idea what the onboard experience will be like. At this point, given the pace of changes, no one does. The changes to the dining experience, and how it was rolled out, is what is making me no longer even willing to try. Who knows what else they will want to change that you will find out about when they "test" it on your next sailing? I no longer have confidence that suites won't be subject to these same additional charges down the road.

The NCL Press Page, last post was 5/7 was related to the 1st quarter results, has nothing about the change in policy.

There are posts on the page regarding other changes; The Sun, the change of some of the restaurants now N/C, but no press release regarding the no take away.

There's a huge difference between the "banning" and "asking".

The policy will be toothless, like saving loungers, consuming too much alcohol (NCL asks passengers to refrain from a lot of excesses).

Extremely disappointed in cc for fanning the flames

So right. NCL only a few years ago was kind of a joke (reputation). then I tried them and liked the product. I am cruising in 3 weeks, we'll see how everything is going. I bet I will still love NCL in 4 weeks. I can get used to seeing less clutter in the ships hallways if this is true. Will most likely see less clutter due to the service charges. How many almost whole pizzas you see in the hallway? A lot less than 5 years ago prior to the service charge.

Well, isn't NCL the cruise line that makes everyone in their stateroom purchase the soda package if one person wants it?
No, that is wrong. My son gets the package, I don't. Never have. The UDP probably... Not the soda package. Don't pass blatantly false info.

I am kind of surprised some others on this thread didn't see what you posted and blatantly try fanning the flames.

If this is really true and is implemented fleet wide I think FDR has "Jumped the Shark". Not sure anyone under 40 will get that.

I saw Fonzi on water skis. Once that happened, the end was near. I don't think this will be the case.

Edited by NH Cruisers

No, that is wrong. My son gets the package, I don't. Never have. The UDP probably... Not the soda package. Don't pass blatantly false info.

I am kind of surprised some others on this thread didn't see what you posted and blatantly try fanning the flames.

I asked it in the form of a question. No one questioned it because I've read that information right here on these forums. So if it's not true someone else started that rumor not me. I don't even drink soda so I have no idea what the policy is just what I've read here. I know that's not the policy on RCCL. And I only read this forum and that one. I'm not starting blatantly false info. I don't do that. It's amazing how many rude people like you are on this forum.

Edited by Siora7777

We sailed on Celebrity once and after ordering room service, we put our dishes out in the hall when finished. We thought that is what you do. We were asked to not do that, and leave the dishes in the room for the steward to take away.

Who knew?

If they are really concerned about the clutter in the hall (and really, I haven't noticed that to be such a problem), just ask people not to do that.

Clearly the issue is steering people to the room service charge.

If the room service menu was half way decent, it might be worth it.

I can't wait to hear reports from people cruising in the next several weeks and how they are stopped, frisked and searched as they leave the buffet.

I read here on CC about all the policy changes. Seems not many people are happy.

I have a wait and see attitude. I cruise in 3 weeks on the DAWN. Will any of the policies effect me enough to cancel my Nov 1st cruise on the BREAKAWAY? Don't know. But NCL isn't the only cruiseline I have sailed. I could easily take my business elseware, so it really is no big deal. I am Platinum on RCCL (thought I was gold then looked into it), I have no problem with them. Maybe cruise one of those Quantum class ships.

I will follow up my May 29th cruise with a full review. Good, bad and indifferent. Never much bad in the past. Lots of good.

By the way NCL is known as bottom of the barrel, cheap cruisline on all the other cruiseline Cruise Critic sites. Always talked about that way for 15 years that I have been a member in one name or another. I know that now I have sailed them that this is pure hogwash.

Lots of misinformation and flame spreading goes on here.

I wrote an email yesterday to let NCL know I was disappointed with the new policy. I also called today and canceled my cruise for October of this year because the new policy takes away from my experience and I would rather rebook on another line that lets me do "whatever". I received a call shortly after I called to cancel. I was told that they had tons of feedback on the new policy and that they were taking it seriously. I was told that it wouldn't be changed right away, but if they continued to get negative feedback that they would likely change it back. So if you don't like the new policy PLEASE send an email to let them know! They won't listen to one person, but they can't ignore all of us if they want to stay in business!

That sounds like a good plan. To whom do we email? publicrelations@, or any others suggested?

Thanks

Cheers

Edited by AceDoc

Oh, ... and one more thing ... as others have said, if the dishes in the hall are such a problem, what about when you PAY for room service? Are those dishes invisible?

Those dishes should be left in the room too. Your steward will take care of them.

I read here on CC about all the policy changes. Seems not many people are happy.

I have a wait and see attitude. I cruise in 3 weeks on the DAWN. Will any of the policies effect me enough to cancel my Nov 1st cruise on the BREAKAWAY? Don't know. But NCL isn't the only cruiseline I have sailed. I could easily take my business elseware, so it really is no big deal. I am Platinum on RCCL (thought I was gold then looked into it), I have no problem with them. Maybe cruise one of those Quantum class ships.

I will follow up my May 29th cruise with a full review. Good, bad and indifferent. Never much bad in the past. Lots of good.

By the way NCL is known as bottom of the barrel, cheap cruisline on all the other cruiseline Cruise Critic sites. Always talked about that way for 15 years that I have been a member in one name or another. I know that now I have sailed them that this is pure hogwash.

Lots of misinformation and flame spreading goes on here.

At least one person on here has some common sense.

If I want to take a few cookies back to my room for the good ol' midnight snack, I'll be darned if they're going to tell me no, but they can bring them to me, all for the low low price of $7.95.

We were *thinking* of NCL. That thought has completely left my head now.

Snacks are fine, they don't want people bringing full meals from the restaurants or buffet to their cabins.

Those dishes should be left in the room too. Your steward will take care of them.

i book studios. 100 sq feet. no table in the cabin, just a sink and bed. im not putting dirty dishes on the floor (none available)nor will i keep them on my bed. my tray will continue to go in the hall. if any don't like it and is on my sailing you are more than welcome to come and get those dishes and leave them in your cabin. otherwise you are not qualified to say where they should be left. it aint happening.

Edited by tiffygirl

Snacks are fine, they don't want people bringing full meals from the restaurants or buffet to their cabins.

Well, I like to snack on eggs in the morning, sandwiches in the afternoon and steak in the evening.

i book studios. 100 sq feet. no table in the cabin, just a sink and bed. im not putting dirty dishes on the floor (none available)nor will i keep them on my bed. my tray will continue to go in the hall. if any don't like it and is on my sailing you are more than welcome to come and get those dishes and leave them in your cabin. otherwise you are not qualified to say where they should be left. it aint happening.

Just put them under the bed.

Where do you eat?