Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

LauraS

"The line also posted it on the Cruise Critic message boards."

Could you please post a link to Norwegian's post? (Or add a link in the article?)

I came to the boards looking for the same thing. Where is the official statement from NCL? Is it buried in one of those never ending threads?

"The line also posted it on the Cruise Critic message boards."

Could you please post a link to Norwegian's post? (Or add a link in the article?)

Thanks,

- Mike :-)

Post #266 of this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2202020

For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night for guests to enjoy, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.
Edited by ohiogymrat

Will NCL then be roving all the outdoor dining tables outside of the buffet ?

Are the going to have food security guards? We enjoy a snack sitting outside - the logistics of enforcing this at the buffet se ridiculois

Thanks, ohiogymrat. Here's the link to the specific post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477392&postcount=266

They're brief statement reads:

"For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night for guests to enjoy, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary."

I would hardly read that as a "ban." It seems more of a polite request to help keep the ship clean.

I'll be on the Breakaway next week. I'll report back if I see large bands of ship security in riot gear patrolling the Garden Cafe, arresting anyone who tries to sneak out a cookie. #SNACKLIVESMATTER

FWIW, I called my PCC and was put on hold twice for her to check with her supervisor, who checked with other supervisors, and we told they have no information about any such "ban" and made point that the NCL rep quote

"For our guests' well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants." says that THEY ASK, not ENFORCE... She told me not to worry about this article and such a ban, especially from the buffet, would be something they would know about, and she also stated (off record) that something like that couldn't really be enforced.

Thanks, ohiogymrat. Here's the link to the specific post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477392&postcount=266

They're brief statement reads:

"For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night for guests to enjoy, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary."

I would hardly read that as a "ban." It seems more of a polite request to help keep the ship clean.

I'll be on the Breakaway next week. I'll report back if I see large bands of ship security in riot gear patrolling the Garden Cafe, arresting anyone who tries to sneak out a cookie. #SNACKLIVESMATTER

Well Mike, if they endorse this policy like they endorse the no saving lounge chair policy people will continue to do what they have been doing and no one will stop them. Yes, maybe they will be hiring food police! :cool:

This seems to be a pattern- NCL rolls out a change in pieces and it gets reported on CC; people say "oh, it can't mean what people think it means it has to be something innocent"; and after a little while NCL makes it clear that not only is the change real but it's generally worse than what was originally reported. I remember during the "test" of the room service convenience charge everyone was "oh, they won't roll it out to the fleet and if they do it won't be what they are charging for the test" and sure enough within weeks it's fleet wide and $7.95. Definitely not impressed with Del Rio's "leadership".

Asking that does not mean that it is banned. Does not mean it won't eventually become a ban but to post that NCL has banned something is more than slightly misleading at this point. The sky might eventually fall but it isn't falling yet chicken little.

Asking that does not mean that it is banned. Does not mean it won't eventually become a ban but to post that NCL has banned something is more than slightly misleading at this point. The sky might eventually fall but it isn't falling yet chicken little.

Everyone reporting trying to take food from a restaurant over the last couple of weeks has been told they can't. The only person reporting here that successfully did it was in a suite on the Sky, and her butler brought it.

It's started.

Everyone reporting trying to take food from a restaurant over the last couple of weeks has been told they can't. The only person reporting here that successfully did it was in a suite on the Sky, and her butler brought it.

It's started.

I was on a cruise to the Caribbean just two weeks ago and no one stopped anyone from taking food where they wanted to take it. So NO not EVERYONE is reporting as you say. You post has just been proven false.

While taking some small items like fruit or cookies or cheese from the buffet and eating it elsewhere on the ship seems harmless, I must say I was bothered, to say the least, to see a woman bring her dinner plate into the theater on a recent Gem cruise. I can see why they wouldn't want something like that to happen regularly.

I have worked in the travel industry for almost 20 years. (I work for Marriott). This could never be enforced. Guests can do what ever they want as long as they are not disrupting anyone and it is not illegal. I searched the Internet and only found the posting on cruise critic. It is not list as a policy on the NCL website nor on any other travel site.

How frustrating! We are leaving on the SKY in 12 days and not one of the changes, from the increased gratuities to the room service fee to the restrictions on dining have been in our email, NCL account or even on the official NCL website. Sounds very shady to me....bait and switch. I wish I could get a refund, because this gives me a negative feeling about NCL. Probably should have stuck with Carnival...:(:(

How frustrating! We are leaving on the SKY in 12 days and not one of the changes, from the increased gratuities to the room service fee to the restrictions on dining have been in our email, NCL account or even on the official NCL website. Sounds very shady to me....bait and switch. I wish I could get a refund, because this gives me a negative feeling about NCL. Probably should have stuck with Carnival...:(:(

That is exactly what it is. Bait and switch.

We leave tomorrow on our screwz, um, I mean cruise.

Seems to me that Norwegian Cruise Line needs to Ban its new CEO from ever working in the hospitality industry. Carnival and Royal Carribean are loving this guy though.

A former loyal NCL cruiser

I was on a cruise to the Caribbean just two weeks ago and no one stopped anyone from taking food where they wanted to take it. So NO not EVERYONE is reporting as you say. You post has just been proven false.

Of course there is a difference between "everyone reporting taking" and "everyone is reporting taking". Sometimes that "is" is important;).

While taking some small items like fruit or cookies or cheese from the buffet and eating it elsewhere on the ship seems harmless, I must say I was bothered, to say the least, to see a woman bring her dinner plate into the theater on a recent Gem cruise. I can see why they wouldn't want something like that to happen regularly.

If that were their goal wouldn't it be much simpler to put up a sign "no food allowed in the theater"?

That's just gross.

Will NCL then be roving all the outdoor dining tables outside of the buffet ?

Are the going to have food security guards? We enjoy a snack sitting outside - the logistics of enforcing this at the buffet se ridiculois

The "Washy - washy" police will wear 2 hats. Going in, they make you sanatize, on the way out, they frisk you for hidden cookies. :eek: