Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

LauraS

Oh my gosh - comparing eating on the balcony to smoking.
I don't really think he was comparing eating on the balcony to smoking, but comparing breaking the rule of not taking food out of the buffet and the rule of not smoking on the balcony and you can add breaking the rule by chair hogging. Is it okay to break one rule (it shouldn't matter what that rule is), if one wants to because they don't agree with it?

I don't really think he was comparing eating on the balcony to smoking, but comparing breaking the rule of not taking food out of the buffet and the rule of not smoking on the balcony and you can add breaking the rule by chair hogging. Is it okay to break one rule (it shouldn't matter what that rule is), if one wants to because they don't agree with it?

Amen

So I have no right to want to smoke on my balcony? its my Cruise just like it is your cruise. The double standard is real, just because you are not a smoker doesn't mean you should be able to dictate where people smoke. I view the new food rules as karma. Just like I intend on following all the rules I hope everyone else does as well.

No one has denied your right to WANT TO SMOKE ON YUR BALCONY. NCL has put the rule in effect that you cannot smoke on your balcony because the second hand smoke has been proven to cause CANCER.

i WOULD REPORT YOU IN A HEARTBEAT BECAUSE I WILL DENY YOU THE RIGHT TO DAMAGE MY HEALTH.

Can you understand that ?????????

B eating in my cabin, I am not risking YOUR health. UNDERSTAND ??

Edited by swedish weave

The room service charge is kind of a good thing, now people only order it if they really want it

That's exactly what FDR thinks, by cutting down the trivial orders they can increase speed of delivery and provide better service to others. There may be that advantage, but it is severely overshadowed by the pushback from guests who, like myself, don't feel it's right to charge for room service, which when I booked was a free perk I very much looked forward to. As with anything there are pros and cons, but in this scenario I see few pros to the guest, and many more cons. Yes, people will only order it if they really want it, but at a cost of $7.95 per order, they're more likely to order much more simply to make it worth the charge. There will be more food waste from those wanting to get their delivery dollar's worth, but find in the end they can't eat it all. How many posts have there been from those saying they plan to order one of everything? Not sure they'd follow through with that, but I get where they're coming from. I'd be tempted to ask my neighbors if there's anything they'd like included if I'm paying $7.95 anyway for my order. I wouldn't ask my neighbors to do it, but if anyone made me that offer I'd be more than willing to at least split the delivery fee with them.

NCL seems to think most people would rather pay for fast delivery than have free slow delivery. Speaking only for myself, I'd rather have slower delivery that's free than have fast delivery I have to pay for. If I'm ordering room service I'm probably not in a great hurry anyway. Getting it 10 or 15 minutes faster is not worth $7.95 to me. I think they need to find other ways to improve service, improve hallway cleanliness, or whatever other negatives, real or imagined, they're trying to battle other than imposing a fee on what many see as one of the major perks of cruising. Customer satisfaction should be the number one objective. It seems they've over-reacted in an attempt to provide a cleaner hallway or faster service at the expense of a perk people value far more than either of the former aspects.

Edited by Sandman799

So I have no right to want to smoke on my balcony? its my Cruise just like it is your cruise. The double standard is real, just because you are not a smoker doesn't mean you should be able to dictate where people smoke. I view the new food rules as karma. Just like I intend on following all the rules I hope everyone else does as well.

ummmmm........no, no right to smoke. This has more to do with health and laws based on public heath rather than personal 'rights' (I am pretty sure it is not a right).

No double standard either, maybe you should look up the definition. It has to do with all things being equal with different results or treatment; which eating and smoking are not. :)

Interesting definition of karma.............it is usually regarding someone who has been wronged for no reason; does not apply here either.

No dictating here just following the rules that you yourself say you will be following.

No one has denied your right to WANT TO SMOKE ON YUR BALCONY. NCL has put the rule in effect that you cannot smoke on your balcony because the second hand smoke has been proven to cause CANCER.

i WOULD REPORT YOU IN A HEARTBEAT BECAUSE I WILL DENY YOU THE RIGHT TO DAMAGE MY HEALTH.

Actually no, in recent years 2nd hand smoke has been proven to be a myth.

It seems they've over-reacted in an attempt to provide a cleaner hallway or faster service at the expense of a perk people value far more than either of the former aspects.
Not sure if they over-reacted or not, but I guess time will tell if they made a good decision or bad. There are two ways to look at if was a good decision. One would be if they made revenue off the new convenience fee or two would be if people didn't order it and the hallways were cleaner. If it ends up being a good decision, I doubt they will tell us what outcome they preferred and if it is a bad decision, I would guess that they would drop the convenience fee. and things will be back to the way it was.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/12/12/study-finds-no-link-between-secondhand-smoke-and-cancer/ Forbes is pretty reputable, I dare anyone to discount the facts in this article

Not sure if they over-reacted or not, but I guess time will tell if they made a good decision or bad. There are two ways to look at if was a good decision. One would be if they made revenue off the new convenience fee or two would be if people didn't order it and the hallways were cleaner. If it ends up being a good decision, I doubt they will tell us what outcome they preferred and if it is a bad decision, I would guess that they would drop the convenience fee. and things will be back to the way it was.

Exactly, there is still a chance they could eventually drop the fee. if it works out to be a good thing like I feel it well then it will be a long haul kinda thing

Smoking on balconies is more egregious than anything else that has been mentioned. You can be disembarked from the ship and will need to find your own way home if you smoke on your balcony after being warned.

And, I wonder how anyone that has not met FDR knows how he thinks????? Again, NCL is not being run by FDR but by its President. The way the new policies were set forth (last minute) was upsetting to everyone. However, this was not something that I have seen FDR do in the 7 years that he has been CEO of Regent.

Lastly, the policy of charging for room service has not been defined (in other words, there is a written definition but this is not being followed by the crew on the ships). If it is true that ordering a drink (like a Coke) negates the service charge, passengers may have a different "take" on the entire situation.

Point well taken but as you probably know, not all rules are created equally.; some are not really rationale. Comparing something that is beneficial to something that is life threatening is not really a good analogy IMO. This may get to the philosophical level and/or person risk area. :)

It seems that the very few who don't have an issue with this new policy are mostly people who book inside or studio cabins and therefore are not likely to bring food back to their cabin as they have no balcony or ocean view to enjoy it. So effectively, the cruise line is alienating all of its better paying customers. A corporate decisions go, this has to be as foolhardy as it gets.

They are actually stripping away a key incentive for booking balcony and even ocean view cabins for very little return. I would not even assume tthe piddling return on the room service charge most people do not want room service even if it were free as it is a time consuming bother with little choice, erratic delivery times etc. So this colossal effort get another 8 bucks from people will drive their customers to cheaper cabins at best and more likely to another cruise line.

If I were sitting on the NCL board of directors, I think at this point I would be lobbying the other members for a shake-up of the top administration. I don't think I recall a cruise line getting flamed this badly and yet there is no response outside of limp replies to justify a silly decision. These ninnies don't even have basic instincts of survival.

It seems that the very few who don't have an issue with this new policy are mostly people who book inside or studio cabins and therefore are not likely to bring food back to their cabin as they have no balcony or ocean view to enjoy it. So effectively, the cruise line is alienating all of its better paying customers. A corporate decisions go, this has to be as foolhardy as it gets.

You might want to re-read some of the threads, there are a lot of us that have no issues that cruise in suites and balcony cabins.

You might want to re-read some of the threads, there are a lot of us that have no issues that cruise in suites and balcony cabins.

I really don't have an issue with it either. I just didn't like the way it was done. That was my only beef. Edited - talking about the service charge .. not the actual taking of food back to the cabin. There's so many of these threads now, it's hard to tell what we're talking about lol

Edited by SissasMomE

Why would any person obey a rule they think is unjust ?

Blind obedience is how dictators take over countries. It is also how despots obtain control and power over large or small groups of people.

If I believe a rule is unjost or harmful to my way of life, I have no problem disobeying it. You must have the intestinal fortitude to stand up for your beliefs if you expect to retain your self respect and to bring about change in todays world. You may have to pay a price for your actions, but that is why you need the firmness of your convictions to stay the course of what you believe.

Or you can do civil disobedience by not paying the fare at all and voting with your wallet to another cruise line....Because right now, you're sounding irrational like NCL is a country when it its actually a company that does business in other countries whom food restriction policy doesn't violate any laws. Matter of fact, the food restriction policy falls under the 'no doggy bag rule" that a company can do legally, so if you don't like their policies - don't sail on that line.

Stay making excuses of breaking the rules, that NCL broke their contract, this that and the third but the all point is - That is there policy, they are not backing down from it, so if you don't like it, go cruise elsewhere that doesn't have that rule. That's not 'cheerleading' that just basic common sense. And some of you forgot the fine art of taking your money and spending it with the competition since that bring more changes than complaining and still spending the money on NCL like that going to change the policy (it doesn't) ....