Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

LauraS

It is not a double standard....it is a fact that smoke stays in a room and many are allergic to smoke.
Shouldn't all rules be abided by or are we allowed to pick and choose which ones we want to adhere to? Because, if we can, I'll become a chair hog, because it is really hard to get a lounger, even in the shade, on the ships. Edited by NLH Arizona

In fairness if I was next to you, you know you would report me for smoking in a heartbeat. The reason I bring up smoking is there is such a double standard among cruisers. let me eat to my hearts content and mess up my room all nice, but god forbid you smoke in your room on your private balcony.

Try telling the people on Star Princess on March 23, 2006 that eating in your room and smoking on your balcony are the same thing. Try telling that to the family of the deceased. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't all rules be abided by or are we allowed to pick and choose which ones we want to adhere to? Because, if we can, I'll become a chair hog, because it is really hard to get a lounger on the ships.

You saving a lounger that you are not using is selfish and does not permit all passengers the same opportunity of usage

Are you really comparing the no smoking policy to the Chair hog policy???? One can kill a person the other is simply selfish!

Edited by canadianeh934

Shouldn't all rules be abided by or are we allowed to pick and choose which ones we want to adhere to? Because, if we can, I'll become a chair hog, because it is really hard to get a lounger, even in the shade, on the ships.

I agree, but many people on this thread have admitted that they plan on breaking the rules. that's what I mean when I talk about double standard.

I agree, but many people on this thread have admitted that they plan on breaking the rules. that's what I mean when I talk about double standard.

Your reference about a double standard was comparing people who are going to eat in their rooms something that is permit under the rules....to smoking in your room which is a health risk to others and is clearly against the rules.

No double standard at all.....a swing and a miss!

Certainly makes for interesting reading.

I actually sympathize with NCL to some degree, spend hundreds of millions for a ship which some people will trash. My favorite is the neatly stacked plastic cups with napkins stuffed inside on the stair well.

The fact is when you are dealing with this many passengers, 5% are going to behave in a less than desirable manner. It doesn't matter if you are on the QUEEN MARY 2 or the New York City Subway.

In 50 years of cruising I have hardly ever used room service. I have brought a full plate of food back from the buffet to family members not feeling well. Maybe three times.

The new room service charge does make this a bit more sinister. I really don't want to deal with "no to only full plates" but "cheese plates ok", or if a particular crew will enforce or not enforce on a particular trip.

In any case, as others have said just vote with your wallet.

Princess to Alaska this year for us.

I do read these forums for information, and this discussion certainly helped.

For those of you who applaud this change, enjoy your trip.

Your reference about a double standard was comparing people who are going to eat in their rooms something that is permit under the rules....to smoking in your room which is a health risk to others and is clearly against the rules.

No double standard at all.....a swing and a miss!

So what happens when you're eating peanut butter on the balcony next door to someone that has a extreme peanut nut allergy? Aren't you theoretically putting that person in danger?

The real double standard is that NCL stated no plate(s) of food taken from restaurants should be taken elsewhere but one can still eat in your own room via room service while a smoker can't smoke in their room except in designated public areas, some of which is unavoidable to non-smokers who don't wish to smell it. That some ironic double standard when one thinks about it, lol.

Enjoy Our

COMPLIMENTARY FAMILY DINING

There’s something for every taste bud in the family. Sit down and enjoy a pizza. Grab a tasty treat made-to-order buffet. Or stay in, order chicken fingers and make it a movie night. With so many choices, everyone leaves happy (and full).

Main Dining Rooms

Main Dining Rooms

The whole gang can enjoy fine dining in up to three Main Dining Rooms. Come for a scrumptious breakfast, lunch or dinner and indulge in a four-course menu featuring everyone’s savory favorites.

Entourage

Casual Buffets

Our quintessential buffet offers breakfast, lunch and dinner, satisfying even picky eaters. Action Stations include meat-carving, made-to-order pastas, omelets, waffles, soft-serve ice cream and more.

Group Sitting

24-Hour Room Service

Stay in with the kids and relax with round the clock in-room dining. Enjoy breakfast in bed or satisfy a late-night craving. Anything goes!

Still on the website as of today. So, If this is on the website when I book and pay for my cruise then it should be honored when I sail.

I was on the Breakaway the first week of the $7.95 room service fee and wish I had had the thought/nerve to go ahead and order the peanut butter and jelly sandwich and glass of milk I always order after a long day in port instead of opting out when I was told of the new fee. I should have ordered it, then questioned the fee later with Guest Services and point out this part of their webpage.

You saving a lounger that you are not using is selfish and does not permit all passengers the same opportunity of usage

Are you really comparing the no smoking policy to the Chair hog policy???? One can kill a person the other is simply selfish!

I'm comparing rules and do we follow some and not others, it doesn't matter what the rule is, it is the principal. If the rule were to state no taking food from the buffet and people do it, are they not breaking a rule. The same would be if it were a smoker smoking on their balcony. The same would be if someone saves loungers for the others in their party for more than what the dallies say is the allotted time. I guess, the way some think, we can pick and choose what rules we choose to break. As long as everyone knows the ground rules, then everything is fair game.

I'm comparing rules and do we follow some and not others, it doesn't matter what the rule is, it is the principal. If the rule were to state no taking food from the buffet and people do it, are they not breaking a rule. The same would be if it were a smoker smoking on their balcony. The same would be if someone saves loungers for the others in their party for more than what the dallies say is the allotted time. I guess, the way some think, we can pick and choose what rules we choose to break. As long as everyone knows the ground rules, then everything is fair game.

I agree, I'm not going to smoke in my room though I want to because that is the rule, hopefully people won't try to sneak food into their room like an immature teenager. Rules are rules and the chicken has come home to roost

Enjoy Our

COMPLIMENTARY FAMILY DINING

There’s something for every taste bud in the family. Sit down and enjoy a pizza. Grab a tasty treat made-to-order buffet. Or stay in, order chicken fingers and make it a movie night. With so many choices, everyone leaves happy (and full).

Main Dining Rooms

Main Dining Rooms

The whole gang can enjoy fine dining in up to three Main Dining Rooms. Come for a scrumptious breakfast, lunch or dinner and indulge in a four-course menu featuring everyone’s savory favorites.

Entourage

Casual Buffets

Our quintessential buffet offers breakfast, lunch and dinner, satisfying even picky eaters. Action Stations include meat-carving, made-to-order pastas, omelets, waffles, soft-serve ice cream and more.

Group Sitting

24-Hour Room Service

Stay in with the kids and relax with round the clock in-room dining. Enjoy breakfast in bed or satisfy a late-night craving. Anything goes!

Still on the website as of today. So, If this is on the website when I book and pay for my cruise then it should be honored when I sail.

I was on the Breakaway the first week of the $7.95 room service fee and wish I had had the thought/nerve to go ahead and order the peanut butter and jelly sandwich and glass of milk I always order after a long day in port instead of opting out when I was told of the new fee. I should have ordered it, then questioned the fee later with Guest Services and point out this part of their webpage.

What is there to question, the food is complimentary from room service. NCL should update the website, IMHO, to included the convenience fee, but as long as they advise the person when ordering room service (which you said you were told), then I guess it is okay. The convenience fee is noted under the FAQ section entitled "What's included in my cruise fare".

After reading all of the posts on this thread the word 'lemming' comes to mind when reading your posts; this appears to describe you (IMO).

There is no comparison between eating and smoking, any intelligent person would know that; it is not about standards. One has nothing to do with the other; a person has to eat but does not have to smoke. Smoking has been proven to be harmful to the smoker and others.

I do agree with others on this thread that I get to choose how I enjoy my cruise; no one else does! It really is no one else's business.

Insulting people because someone chooses to enjoy their cruise differently, whether it be drinking in excess, eating in your room etc., isn't common courtesy and should not happen.

Please be respectful.

Edited by Cruisercl

I agree, I'm not going to smoke in my room though I want to because that is the rule, hopefully people won't try to sneak food into their room like an immature teenager. Rules are rules and the chicken has come home to roost

Unless they are planning to wrestle the food out of my hands, pepper spray me, throw hands or kick the crap out of me, then I doubt I will sneak anything into my cabin. I might just walk right in with it. My only regret is I won't be able to leave the dirty dishes outside your room. :D

Maybe I should let my kids carry the plates, I want to see them wrestle a kid for his cookies.

Since I don't intend to follow this stupid and silly rule, please feel free to smoke in your room and on your balcony motley!

(IMO).

There is no comparison between eating and smoking, any intelligent person would know that; QUOTE]

:eek:

Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think, McFly. Think!

I think you may be on to something here!

I have a comment about plates of food in the hallways.......if you bring it up to a NCL employee and nothing is done about them, call the Hotel Director and let them know there is garbage in the hallway and that you asked someone to remove it but that it is still there.

Every NCL employee should be involved in keeping the ship clean; it is not up to a passenger to determine who's job it is to remove dirty plates.

At every M&G the Hotel Director says to call them if there are housekeeping issues, which is what this is. Someone is not doing their job.

Maybe because I do not choose to, or don't want to, for any number of reasons of which are none of your business. Have you never ordered pizza for delivery at home and ate it on your couch for a variety of reasons, ill, entertaining, etc, etc. Why don't you just get in your car and go sit and eat it there? No ones business but your own and no one cares a fig one way or the other.

well said

I'm a bit confused by your comment since FDR appointed a long time NCL employee as President of NCL. This is apparently who he wants running the company. The job losses that I am aware of are in the areas where services have been combined. One area that is currently being combined is entertainment. NCL entertainers are gradually phasing onto Oceania and Regent ships as the contracts end with their entertainment group.

Certainly you are aware(or should be) that Del Rio dismissed many long term employees of NCL when he took over. These people had devoted much of their adult lives to the company, and Del Rio dismissed them without cause and placed his son and other friends in responsible positions.

As I asked previously --- could this be the reason that NCL cannot inform guests of changes and/or publish easy to understand the particulars of the things they are eliminating or changing.

A company leader who has such callous disregard for long term employees does not command any respect from me. That attitude could easily transfer to guests, and it seems like some is already showing up.

Edited by swedish weave

After reading all of the posts on this thread the word 'lemming' comes to mind when reading your posts; this appears to describe you (IMO).

There is no comparison between eating and smoking, any intelligent person would know that; it is not about standards. One has nothing to do with the other; a person has to eat but does not have to smoke. Smoking has been proven to be harmful to the smoker and others.

I do agree with others on this thread that I get to choose how I enjoy my cruise; no one else does! It really is no one else's business.

Insulting people because someone chooses to enjoy their cruise differently, whether it be drinking in excess, eating in your room etc., isn't common courtesy and should not happen.

Please be respectful.

So I have no right to want to smoke on my balcony? its my Cruise just like it is your cruise. The double standard is real, just because you are not a smoker doesn't mean you should be able to dictate where people smoke. I view the new food rules as karma. Just like I intend on following all the rules I hope everyone else does as well.

I don't see how alcohol has anything to do with food messes but OK

You really and honestly don't see how if NCL wanted to keep ships clean they'd stop selling unlimited alcohol packages? Drunks never make a mess or vomit...

Oh my gosh - comparing eating on the balcony to smoking. Do you realize that there are countries that do not allow smoking inside of public areas and cities that do not allow smoking in your own backyard (in the United States)? There have been active threads on Oceania regarding smoking e-cigs on balconies (where the "steam" does not go beyond 12 "). Still, passengers do not want e-cigs anywhere near people.

And, alcohol does have to do with messes on cruise ships. Walking through the hallways with a drink takes more skill than most people have (especially in rough seas). The issue of spilled drinks (including soft drinks that children spill) is more of an issue that you may know. How many times can a cruise line shampoo the carpets because of the drinks spilled?

Trying not to be angry but it is a challenge!

So I have no right to want to smoke on my balcony? its my Cruise just like it is your cruise. The double standard is real, just because you are not a smoker doesn't mean you should be able to dictate where people smoke. I view the new food rules as karma. Just like I intend on following all the rules I hope everyone else does as well.

No, by all means feel free to smoke on your balcony. And if they ask just drop the Cruise Critic name you go by and that should take care of it.

Do you know who I am?