Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

LauraS

Finally, there is NO issue with the dining venues in regards to getting the rest of your meal sent to your cabin free of charge for all the above reasons. One advantage of it being sent via room service is that the food comes wrapped with the proper plates and utensils and a napkin. I know for certain as we received a dessert in our cabin this way.

Great news. Nice to know. Thanks for reporting!

Harriet

We just got off Celebrity, we were not impressed, It was offensive to pay $6.00 for a bottle of water, also the wine, we ordered a wine package, they did a substitution and told us it was the same wine (really, the winery is 30 miles away from us and we have 6 cases in our wine cooler) they insisted we did not know what we were talking about, again offensive ...but yet we do not chastise NCL or any cruise line of making money, and understand business, so will pay RS fees if we use it....But come on, a bottle of water, wine?.....Just proves for every person there is a personal opinion....Cannot wait for our next NCL cruise.

In the past I wanted to cruise on Celebrity because they offered the free beverage package... but the prices never dropped low enough to make it affordable... compared to say NCL where I buy my own drinks... or recently got the UBP. I wonder if NCL offered the UBP and other really great perks this past year knowing they were going to upset some customers with the new policies.

Finally, there is NO issue with the dining venues in regards to getting the rest of your meal sent to your cabin free of charge for all the above reasons. One advantage of it being sent via room service is that the food comes wrapped with the proper plates and utensils and a napkin. I know for certain as we received a dessert in our cabin this way.

Ohhhh... this information really needs to be shared around...

Ohhhh... this information really needs to be shared around...
I posted the link to this thread on the "where is the official notice....." thread. Isn't if funny that the good/positive information seems to not get shared, but the bad/negative information spreads like wildfire.

I posted the link to this thread on the "where is the official notice....." thread. Isn't if funny that the good/positive information seems to not get shared, but the bad/negative information spreads like wildfire.

That's the irony I hate about the NCL forums - The couple times where there's actually been good news coming out of the bad, and no one seem interested in it and/or twisted it around to make it look like it was more of bad news. That and bad news get 50-something threads per day with alots of responses while good news gets like 5 of them for the whole month and maybe 30 comments in total...

I came to the boards looking for the same thing. Where is the official statement from NCL? Is it buried in one of those never ending threads?

I e-mailed my PCC at NCL and here is the response.

You are right, there has been a few changes to some of our policies.

In regards of the take-out food situation the following statement has been released :

"For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment, we ask that guests enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.

This means that going forward, guests are unable to take full plates of food from any of the restaurants or buffet back to their rooms. For guests who need a snack, etc. throughout the day, they are able to take a piece of fruit or a box of cereal from the buffet. Morning coffee and continental breakfast remain complimentary through room service as well."

Notice that it does say buffet!

Thank you for the update and letting people know.

I e-mailed my PCC at NCL and here is the response.

You are right, there has been a few changes to some of our policies.

In regards of the take-out food situation the following statement has been released :

"For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment, we ask that guests enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.

This means that going forward, guests are unable to take full plates of food from any of the restaurants or buffet back to their rooms. For guests who need a snack, etc. throughout the day, they are able to take a piece of fruit or a box of cereal from the buffet. Morning coffee and continental breakfast remain complimentary through room service as well."

Notice that it does say buffet!

Thanks for the update. According to this update, looks like snacks are okay to take out of the restaurants and/or buffet back to the cabins. I'm guessing they just used fruit and box of cereal as an example and cookies, chips, etc. would also be considered a snack, at least I hope so, because they are my snacks of choice LOL!

Certainly wish NCL would make a formal announcement and even when they do, I've got a feeling that each ship might treat the new policy differently.

At least the updates lately are a little more positive than what was reported in the beginning with nothing leaving the restaurants and/or buffet. But I guess we will all have to wait and see what the end results are.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You keep calling it the 'diet police' which is a little insulting. You have to admit that there really are times that one needs and should leave a restaurant and be able to take their uneaten food with them.

1. Those with kids that act up. I know I don't want to be sitting next to a crying/screaming/moody child when their parents can ask for their food to and return that child to their room.

2. Those that order an app, their meal and are too full to eat their dessert. I do believe, as one is paying for that specialty restaurant....that they should be permitted to take their dessert back to their room.

3. Others who may get sick or fall ill while eating.

Harriet

So this is for the upcharge restaurants where you are paying a surcharge anyway, so I guess they aren't actually going to make you pay twice by charging for room service as that would really be awful. The question is what about just taking something from the buffet back to your cabin which I think is what everyone is talking about.

So this is for the upcharge restaurants where you are paying a surcharge anyway, so I guess they aren't actually going to make you pay twice by charging for room service as that would really be awful. The question is what about just taking something from the buffet back to your cabin which I think is what everyone is talking about.

Couting Three times. Specialty you pay twice because you've already paid for food and service that you are skipping.

Anyway, what is a snack and what is a meal? If they force people to stay within a venue what will happen to service or seating availability? Even if I NEVER ordered room service or ever took food to my room these changes will impact congestion in food venues which impacts everyone. We will bring books as we settle for some tea and desserts.

If i go to the buffet and take my food out to the pool area but then i keep on going past the pool and on to my private balcony, what is the enforcement process?

Since there is revenue at stake, I'm sure they will enforce it some how. No revenue at stake from chair hogs, so no enforcement. But i still wonder how they will do it.

Dave

Edited by Tenderpaw

Just off BA from Bermuda today. We ate at Cagney's last night and celebrated a birthday. We asked to have the cake wrapped up so we could enjoy it in our Haven aft suite an was told we were not allowed to take food from the restaurant. The server confirmed this with his supervisor. We were able to take food to our room from the buffet.

Just off BA from Bermuda today. We ate at Cagney's last night and celebrated a birthday. We asked to have the cake wrapped up so we could enjoy it in our Haven aft suite an was told we were not allowed to take food from the restaurant. The server confirmed this with his supervisor. We were able to take food to our room from the buffet.

Had you eaten any of the cake? Did you specifically ask the restaurant to deliver the cake to your suite through room service or your butler?

On Getaway, we were told we could have the birthday cake (which neither of us had eaten) IF room service brought it to our cabin from the restaurant. We could not take the cake with us. And the cake was sent to us via room service at no charge. Since we had already had a large 3 course meal including dessert, this was the ONLY sensible way to handle this situation. I can understand why they would not let you take the cake with you since they don't want any passengers taking food out of restaurants and if you had already eaten part of it, then I think it would become leftovers under their rules which I believe would negate the possibility of you getting the cake to your cabin. At least, that is the impression I got about the situation. Of course, the other thing, our cake in Ocean Blue was a special cake from Carlo's Bakery. Apparently you get a cake prepared by NCL's regular pastry chefs in the other specialty restaurants and I guess, the MDR. That also may be why they allowed it to go to our cabin via room service.

Anywhere on the pool deck(s) is fine, according to ncl.

That's good to hear, because I was not going to stop carrying food from the buffet to my spot by the pool, as I've done on every single cruise on every single line I've ever taken.

I genuinely feel bad for the poor crew members who will face the brunt of passenger discontent over this new policy. It really isn't fair to them. I bet FDR wouldn't be nearly as smug if he had to sit there and take it with a smile on his face like a member of the crew.

That's good to hear, because I was not going to stop carrying food from the buffet to my spot by the pool, as I've done on every single cruise on every single line I've ever taken.

I completely agree. There is no way I would have stopped either.

Had you eaten any of the cake? Did you specifically ask the restaurant to deliver the cake to your suite through room service or your butler?

On Getaway, we were told we could have the birthday cake (which neither of us had eaten) IF room service brought it to our cabin from the restaurant. We could not take the cake with us. And the cake was sent to us via room service at no charge. Since we had already had a large 3 course meal including dessert, this was the ONLY sensible way to handle this situation. I can understand why they would not let you take the cake with you since they don't want any passengers taking food out of restaurants and if you had already eaten part of it, then I think it would become leftovers under their rules which I believe would negate the possibility of you getting the cake to your cabin. At least, that is the impression I got about the situation. Of course, the other thing, our cake in Ocean Blue was a special cake from Carlo's Bakery. Apparently you get a cake prepared by NCL's regular pastry chefs in the other specialty restaurants and I guess, the MDR. That also may be why they allowed it to go to our cabin via room service.

Just curious, what type of cabin were you in? A suite?

So you can have your cake and eat it too? LOL.

How labor intensive is this? Instead of letting the passenger take it they are going to get a crew member to do it? This is nonsensical.

How labor intensive is this? Instead of letting the passenger take it they are going to get a crew member to do it? This is nonsensical.

The alternative is tossing it in the garbage - at least NCL will deliver your leftovers while one goes to their show, hangout or whatever without making a pit-stop to the cabin 1st. And some cabins are a long walk getting to.

Edit: Now that I think about it- that not a minus, that actually a plus. That means no container / doggy bag to carry back while NCL does the heavy-lifting / work for the passenger.

Edited by maywell

The alternative is tossing it in the garbage - at least NCL will deliver your leftovers while one goes to their show, hangout or whatever without making a pit-stop to the cabin 1st. And some cabins are a long walk getting to.

Edit: Now that I think about it- that not a minus, that actually a plus. That means no container / doggy bag to carry back while NCL does the heavy-lifting / work for the passenger.

Yeah, okay, how about the alternative is let the passenger take it with them versus tossing it in the garbage:rolleyes:. Still nonsensical.

On May 9th the last day of our cruise on the Getaway I did just that. It was early and I took breakfast for me and my wife to our cabin. No one said anything. Earlier on the cruise we took coffee, tea, pie and cookies to our cabin. No issues then either. :confused:

If NCL were to ban kids from walking around with ice cream cones and the adults walking around with $12 alcohol drinks, then I will believe they have the rule for safety and health of passengers.

Lets get serious, a spilled strawberry margarita makes more of a mess than spilled meals.

Yeah, okay, how about the alternative is let the passenger take it with them versus tossing it in the garbage:rolleyes:. Still nonsensical.

Wait - You're actually complaining /annoyed that waitstaff is dropping off your food /leftovers from a specialty restaurant instead of you carrying/lugging it back yourself?!?! You're actually complaining /annoyed that you're getting service you technically paid for when paid the cover charge and/or tips?!? Are you not listening to yourself?[emoji15]

Edited by maywell

Wait - You're actually complaining /annoyed that waitstaff is dropping off your food /leftovers from a specialty restaurant instead of you carrying/lugging it back yourself?!?! You're actually complaining /annoyed that you're getting <u>service </u>you technically paid for when paid the cover charge and/or tips?!? Are you not listening to yourself?[emoji15]

I don't mind doing things myself and if I want to take something with me from the dining room I should be allowed to. I see no reason to sluff it off on the overworked staff. (And if I've paid for the service why am I charged $7.95 for a delivery to my room? And since I've paid for the food why does it matter where I eat it?)

Certainly wish NCL would make a formal announcement and even when they do, I've got a feeling that each ship might treat the new policy differently.

At least the updates lately are a little more positive than what was reported in the beginning with nothing leaving the restaurants and/or buffet. But I guess we will all have to wait and see what the end results are.

I agree. I find the reports of the non/lax enforcement of the policy to be positive, but I'm wary of saying that they will remain the norm absent any "official" statements. The policies are still discretionary, so it would seem that enforcement could remain lax, be spotty, or could be ratcheted up with no notice.

Also, as an aside, I don't find the absence of the word "ban" (or an equivalent) to be the key; NCL has made it (mostly) clear that they don't want people taking food to their rooms. I could definitely see staff asking patrons not to take food down the stairs or elevator, even if they don't physically stop anyone.