Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

LauraS

The concerns with the take out were all the plates all over the ship. That is what the corporate office told us today. Snacks are allowed to be taken out of the buffet. That is a direct quote. We did say our snack is usually a hot dog. Cruise Critic is important to Norwegian. They alo know there is competition out there. We cruised Celebrity in October and told them that Celebrity wants us back. We will still cruise Norwegian but hope the changes are finished and some will be revisited.

Edited by jjikids

The concerns with the take out were all the plates all over the ship. That is what the corporate office told us today. Snacks are allowed to be taken out of the buffet. That is a direct quote. We did say our snack is usually a hot dog. Cruise Critic is important to Norwegian. They alo know there is competition out there. We cruised Celebrity in October and told them that Celebrity wants us back. We will still cruise Norwegian but hope the changes are finished and some will be revisited.

Perhaps they should hire an adequate amount of crew members then. It's amazing how other ships do not have this "problem".

IMO, the threads that I have read on the NCL board sound like a bunch of whiners and complainers that I would not want to cruise with

For every cruiser FDR is supposedly chasing away, CC is probably chasing away about 10. There is a lot of mass hysteria and group think happening.

For every cruiser FDR is supposedly chasing away, CC is probably chasing away about 10. There is a lot of mass hysteria and group think happening.

Well you are free to go find another forum where everyone blows NCL sunshine for you.

There absolutely will be more changes. After all, NCL needs to be the best main stream cruise line -- not close to the bottom of the pack. Also want to mention that FDR is being blamed for everything. He may approve changes but Andy Stuart, respected long-time NCL veteran, is President of NCL and in charge of executing day-to-day changes. He knows what has needed to be done for a long time and is doing it.

Andy Stuart may be the one steering, but he is using a map drawn by Del Rio and it's one way;). And from what I've read they aren't interested in being the best main stream line, they want to transition NCL into a premium line.

Perhaps they should hire an adequate amount of crew members then. It's amazing how other ships do not have this "problem".

I actually just got home from an RCI cruise a few days ago and can confirm that it was not a problem on that sailing (nor any recent RCI sailing I can remember).

Edited by Dave85

Message to Norwegian management - Please do as Princess did last year. When customers were unhappy about the room service charges, they were rescinded. Princess also had "good reasons'', but passengers were not happy and the change in policy was quickly repealed. A main complaint from passengers was that there was a lack of notice and warning.

Norwegian Cruise Lines, whoever is listening, please revoke the Room Service fee and restrictive take away food policy! Show the same appreciation and respect that Princess has demonstrated. Please post if you agree!

Princess has a room service fee for pizza delivery and that remains intact.

For every cruiser FDR is supposedly chasing away, CC is probably chasing away about 10.

Good to hear! It's more clearly in the mission of Cruise Critic to, well, critique the cruise lines than it is to cheerlead for them.

Look, NCL has instituted some really stupid policies and they completely deserve the "bad press" they're receiving here and elsewhere. Your whining about the whiners won't change that. NCL reversing course might, but prudence dictates continued normal breathing.

Good to hear! It's more clearly in the mission of Cruise Critic to, well, critique the cruise lines than it is to cheerlead for them.

Look, NCL has instituted some really stupid policies and they completely deserve the "bad press" they're receiving here and elsewhere. Your whining about the whiners won't change that. NCL reversing course might, but prudence dictates continued normal breathing.

Like!!

I just got off the Sky this past Monday. I hadn't read this post before I left so I was unaware of the change. And while on board, I didn't see any notice about it nor did I see anybody stopping people. I only did it once, taking a plate of pretzel rolls and cheese to the Outrigger Lounge. No one even looked at me as I walked across the entire ship with a plate of food. Guess we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

I found this quote to be telling as well....

"In one of the more unusual policies to be implemented by a cruise company in recent years"(Definition-Bone headed)

"We cannot ensure that dishes consumed as 'take away' from the various dining outlets meet the strict health and safety food service standards," Picariello said.

The net effect of the new ban on taking food away from eateries coupled with the new charge for room service is that there no longer is a way to have a significant snack or meal in one's room without paying for it.

So once again NCL tell us its for health reasons......

Even USA is skeptical of that one....

Each new rule kind of reminds me of of this movie skit...

Edited by warriorking

"In one of the more unusual policies to be implemented by a cruise company in recent years"

"We cannot ensure that dishes consumed as 'take away' from the various dining outlets meet the strict health and safety food service standards," Picariello said.

The net effect of the new ban on taking food away from eateries coupled with the new charge for room service is that there no longer is a way to have a significant snack or meal in one's room without paying for it.

So, if I'm reading this right, besides RS, they cant say their food is safe when you take it out of their buffet or restaurant that it was served in. I haven't noticed the magic line that turns good food bad.

That article is pretty much scathing NCL.

Edited by janpo

"In one of the more unusual policies to be implemented by a cruise company in recent years"(Definition-Bone headed)

I guess all that take out food from land based restaurants doesn't meet those strict standards either.:D

I can't say I'm surprised by this. On my most recent cruise (May 1st) there was trays upon trays of food outside of doors in the hallways making it hard to walk to say nothing of how gross it was, and the waste! So much went uneaten. There were spills of course - frequent spills - which is inconsiderate to the crew. One morning I awoke to a stack of dirty dishes outside my door! lol Someone decided my door looked to empty I guess?

I can't say I'm surprised by this. On my most recent cruise (May 1st) there was trays upon trays of food outside of doors in the hallways making it hard to walk to say nothing of how gross it was, and the waste! So much went uneaten. There were spills of course - frequent spills - which is inconsiderate to the crew. One morning I awoke to a stack of dirty dishes outside my door! lol Someone decided my door looked to empty I guess?

That is definitely gross! I've never personally seen it to that extent on a cruise but I would be disgusted if I did see it. Perhaps the crew should do a better job clearing those dishes.

Regarding food waste, have you ever seen the amount of food wasted IN the buffet area? Take a look at the tables that are waiting to be bussed one time and you'll see what I mean. Food waste happens in the eateries too, not just in one's cabin. Plus, think about it...if someone is bringing food back from the buffet to their cabin, there is only so much a person can carry. Therefore, there would probably be less waste of food by those people than if they stayed and ate at the buffet ("oh I'll just go up again and try this, that and the other that didn't fit on my first plate because I don't like any of the food I have on my first plate so I will just leave it and it will get thrown out because this is all you can eat and I paid for it so I'm gonna get my money's worth!"). Sorry for the run-on sentence but plenty of people think this way, both on cruises and at land all-you-can-eat venues.

Edited by bangzoom6877

"For your convenience and health and safety, there will now be staff serving each of the stations at the buffet venue to serve you and the buffet selections have been enhanced for a $9.95 convenience charge for each trip through the buffet line."

(This is not a serious post obviously so don't flame me... I'm just poking fun at Del Rio.)

NCL can ignore CC, can ignore FB comments as well ... Will they continue to discount USA Today, we will see. Ignore the social media carries risks, and again maybe not.

But, my suggestion for their next promotion campaign, free room service 24/7 and eat anywhere, for a limited time only ... as a face saving move on the PR front. Or put a moratorium on these controversial policies for next 3+ months pending further studies. Or, dig in.

But for the rest of the travel & hospitality business, they take feedbacks from sources like TripAdvisor very seriously, which CC is affiliated with.

Edited by mking8288

"For your convenience and health and safety, there will now be staff serving each of the stations at the buffet venue to serve you and the buffet selections have been enhanced for a $9.95 convenience charge for each trip through the buffet line."

(This is not a serious post obviously so don't flame me... I'm just poking fun at Del Rio.)

I'm waiting for them to make it more like the experience at many all-inclusive resorts on land, where the buffet is included but you pay a surcharge for a sit-down dinner with waiter service (MDR on the ships as well as specialties). This is also not serious, I've heard nothing speculating this is happening but it is something DH and I have discussed and wondered if it will eventually happen.

I'm waiting for them to make it more like the experience at many all-inclusive resorts on land, where the buffet is included but you pay a surcharge for a sit-down dinner with waiter service (MDR on the ships as well as specialties). This is also not serious, I've heard nothing speculating this is happening but it is something DH and I have discussed and wondered if it will eventually happen.

If you are in first class you will continue to be allowed to go to the MDR and served a meal. If in steerage you will get a boxed lunch. Oh wait, I got confused with airlines. I wonder how that happened.

If you are in first class you will continue to be allowed to go to the MDR and served a meal. If in steerage you will get a boxed lunch. Oh wait, I got confused with airlines. I wonder how that happened.

And there is a surcharge of $7.95 to have that lunch in an actual box, for your convenience. ;)

I get the feeling they're trying to entice more people into sailing in suites or the Haven on ships that offer the Haven. Anyone know if suites and haven suites tend to sell out or not?

Edited by bangzoom6877

And there is a surcharge of $7.95 to have that lunch in an actual box, for your convenience. ;)

I get the feeling they're trying to entice more people into sailing in suites or the Haven on ships that offer the Haven. Anyone know if suites and haven suites tend to sell out or not?

I noticed that you have not sailed NCL in a while? Is there a reason that you changed to Carnival (obviously before these changes?) There seems to be so many irate posters that this is a good time to tout the benefits of Carnival. Hopefully, Carnival would be an alternative for passengers that are bashing NCL. Just a thought:)