Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

LauraS

I noticed that you have not sailed NCL in a while? Is there a reason that you changed to Carnival (obviously before these changes?) There seems to be so many irate posters that this is a good time to tout the benefits of Carnival. Hopefully, Carnival would be an alternative for passengers that are bashing NCL. Just a thought:)

I would not mind to that, then the Ncl bashers we have no reason to come to the Ncl forum lol

I would not mind to that, then the Ncl bashers we have no reason to come to the Ncl forum lol

But they're stilling going to bash anyway because well, let me not go there. I mean even USA Today gave the same advice some people who don't mind sailing on NCL said: Don't sail on NCL if you like bringing food to your cabin.

But what you are overlooking is that many of the "bashers" used to be "cheerleaders", although I really hate labeling people. So instead of using those terms I will say that a lot of the people criticizing NCL at the moment are people that loved what NCL offered and hate seeing NCL going in the direction that Del Rio is taking it.

I get the feeling they're trying to entice more people into sailing in suites or the Haven on ships that offer the Haven. Anyone know if suites and haven suites tend to sell out or not?

Every NCL cruise I have been on suites and the Haven are always sold out. So maybe NCL ought to build an all Haven ship.:cool:

I've always been a cheerleader. I'm just scared the direction my favourite cruise line is taking. I'm coming to terms with it though. I have one booked and fully paid for in July and will be breaking the rules. My defence- I booked not knowing the change in rules, had I have known I wouldn't have booked. The thought of having to eat in the buffet Epic/July horrifies me. I do MDR at night and never take back leftovers. I'll probably be on land most days. So it's just breakfast and the one sea day lunch I'm in trouble, where I will be taking my meal back. I will however go and have a good time. Great ports each day and hopefully the entertainment at night will be good! I do have two further cruises booked which I'll cancel, then it's time to start opening new doors. Never say never, I might return further down the track, but I'll wait and see what happens before committing again. I loved my 23 completed cruises under the OSheahan's reign!

But what you are overlooking is that many of the "bashers" used to be "cheerleaders", although I really hate labeling people. So instead of using those terms I will say that a lot of the people criticizing NCL at the moment are people that loved what NCL offered and hate seeing NCL going in the direction that Del Rio is taking it.

Exactly! I used to love waiting to hear the next crazy innovative concept that Kevin Sheehan would come up with. My next cruise after the one I have booked with Celebrity was to have been on the Norwegian Getaway. I have now canned that idea. I hear good things about Princess, so maybe I will do that instead. Or I may take a giant leap and try Carnival just to see if it is really as insane as its reputation.

I noticed that you have not sailed NCL in a while? Is there a reason that you changed to Carnival (obviously before these changes?) There seems to be so many irate posters that this is a good time to tout the benefits of Carnival. Hopefully, Carnival would be an alternative for passengers that are bashing NCL. Just a thought:)

I have noticed more and more posts from you on this board. Have you ever sailed NCL? From all your past comments I never would of though of you on a NCL ship.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

We've been cruising every other year since 2011. That was the year we went on the Jewel. We loved that cruise and all of us still talk about how great it was. My sister even took her honeymoon on the Jewel a year and a half after we all sailed her together. The only reason we went back to a Carnival ship in 2013 was because of the itinerary. We didn't want to go back to the Bahamas & Florida again (did that a few times, including on the Jewel in 2011). So we wanted to go either to Bermuda or to different islands in the Caribbean, out of NYC. The Carnival Splendor had an 8-night itinerary out of NYC that took us to San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. DH had never been to Puerto Rico but always wanted to go there, and none of us had ever been to Turks & Caicos. And we all love Magen's Bay in St. Thomas. We also like Carnival cruise lines, equal to NCL. So we chose that cruise. There was no other reason, no problem at all with NCL on the 2011 sailing on the Jewel.

This upcoming cruise in July is on the Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda. My main concern is that I wonder what other policies will be implemented at the last minute, even possibly in the middle of our sailing, as things seem to be going this way. But, everyone in our group of 11 people, including myself, is looking forward to this cruise very much and we all keep talking about it. We know we will have a great time and enjoy the cruise, but it would be nice to know exactly what we are getting, as opposed to what we might be getting. That's really the only thing that bothers me.

I also don't think NCL will be good at enforcing the no takeaway food from buffet to room because how could they? Are they going to have crew members at every staircase, elevator, on every deck, etc. to grab the plate out of someone's hand? I can't see that happening. They don't even truly enforce the dress code in the MDR and that's much more easy to enforce, since you have to check in with the hostess and be seated. And I've seen that on carnival as well.

Edited by bangzoom6877

I have refrained from putting any comment on any of the numerous threads created about room service fees or other service changes at NCL for a couple of reasons.

1. I've read actual feedback from current (or recently returned) cruise customers (on affected ships) indicating that the "room service fee" does not affect taking food from the Garden Cafe (buffet area).
  2. I don't personally use room service except on a limited basis or routinely take food out of the dining areas I visit. However, I will say that I do find the hallways of NCL ships to be some the most dish laden hallways I have ever seen while cruising on 4 different cruise lines.
  3. I can appreciate that the cruise line has made an attempt at improving the issue of hallway mess/clutter, but feel that they missed the mark on how they thought this "change" would affect their customers (mostly because the lack of a formal announcement). I suspect that this is a "work in progress" since it only affects two ships currently (my understanding, correct me if I am wrong) and maybe this is why a "test" is being taken with no official notification that it is occurring.

Will any of the recent changes keep me from cruising with NCL? Not really.

As others have said (better than I can express), when I see that the value in my purchase and my level of enjoyment are not in alignment with what I have paid, then I can choose differently on future vacation plans.

For the record, I am not a cheerleader at NCL since most of my cruises are with Celebrity. I am not even a cheerleader at Celebrity. There are a few things I don't care for when I cruise on Celebrity ships, but again... timing, itinerary, pricing, incentives, and "perceived value" assist and guide my vacation planning. I see threads on the Celebrity boards all the time about how people say they are fed up and are leaving never to come back, but I also read where they come back and are often times apologetic for having left in the first place since the [insert name of cruise line] did not meet their hopes/expectations.

Having a "status" for frequent cruising (and the perks that come with it) can be a nice reason to want to rebook, but the dollars spent to get there have to be in alignment with my other important deciding factors along the way.

I wish everyone well on their future cruise endeavors. ;)

I have refrained from putting any comment on any of the numerous threads created about room service fees or other service changes at NCL for a couple of reasons.

1. I've read actual feedback from current (or recently returned) cruise customers (on affected ships) indicating that the "room service fee" does not affect taking food from the Garden Cafe (buffet area).
  2. I don't personally use room service except on a limited basis or routinely take food out of the dining areas I visit. However, I will say that I do find the hallways of NCL ships to be some the most dish laden hallways I have ever seen while cruising on 4 different cruise lines.
  3. I can appreciate that the cruise line has made an attempt at improving the issue of hallway mess/clutter, but feel that they missed the mark on how they thought this "change" would affect their customers (mostly because the lack of a formal announcement). I suspect that this is a "work in progress" since it only affects two ships currently (my understanding, correct me if I am wrong) and maybe this is why a "test" is being taken with no official notification that it is occurring.

As others have said (better than I can express), when I see that the value in my purchase and my level of enjoyment are not in alignment with what I have paid, then I can choose differently on future vacation plans.

For the record, I am not a cheerleader at NCL since most of my cruises are with Celebrity. I am not even a cheerleader at Celebrity. There are a few things I don't care for when I cruise on Celebrity ships, but again... timing, itinerary, pricing, incentives, and "perceived value" assist and guide my vacation planning. I see threads on the Celebrity boards all the time about how people say they are fed up and are leaving never to come back, but I also read where they come back and are often times apologetic for having left in the first place since the [insert name of cruise line] did not meet their hopes/expectations.

Having a "status" for frequent cruising (and the perks that come with it) can be a nice reason to want to rebook, but the dollars spent to get there have to be in alignment with my other important deciding factors along the way.

Initially the room service fee was just on the Breakaway and Getaway, with a $7.95 charge on one ship and a $3.95 charge on the other ship. As of the beginning of this month though a $7.95 per room service order was implemented fleet wide, with the exception of continental breakfast items in the morning.

....... However, I will say that I do find the hallways of NCL ships to be some the most dish laden hallways I have ever seen while cruising on 4 different cruise lines.

[*]I can appreciate that the cruise line has made an attempt at improving the issue of hallway mess/clutter, but feel that they missed the mark.........

I noticed the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The hallways were littered with plates, I thought it was gross. Perhaps this policy really is in response to complaints about cleanliness and also an opportunity to gain some profit at the same time. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Frankly, if that was the issue they wanted to fix, simply having the stewards do a dish run when there are 5 or more plates in any hallway would have been a better solution. Then, they could have clean hallways and no bad press. If they need more money, just charge an extra $4 pp/pd....don't nickel and dime the pax.

Sheesh......problem solved. Feel free to send in your votes to NCL for me to replace Del Rio.:p

I noticed the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The hallways were littered with plates, I thought it was gross. Perhaps this policy really is in response to complaints about cleanliness and also an opportunity to gain some profit at the same time. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Frankly, if that was the issue they wanted to fix, simply having the stewards do a dish run when there are 5 or more plates in any hallway would have been a better solution. Then, they could have clean hallways and no bad press. If they need more money, just charge an extra $4 pp/pd....don't nickel and dime the pax.

Sheesh......problem solved. Feel free to send in your votes to NCL for me to replace Del Rio.:p

Makes sense to me...you want $4 or $5 more per day per passenger? Make the $1,000 cruise fare (just putting a nice round number out there, I know cruise fares vary) $1,035 and just leave it at that. I would have still booked our 7-night cruise if it was $35 more per person than what we paid.

If dirty dishes truly were a problem, surely there would be a better solution than to police people in the manner they're suggesting.

Nice post.

The $7.95 R/S fee went fleet-wide at the end of a two week trial on Getaway and Breakaway. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Despite that, the website FAQ still shows it's only on those two ships, and more importantly the main pages still list Room Service under complimentary dining. That's one reason why many, many people are confused. NCL's current printed information is misleading at best and fraudulent at worst in my opinion. If I am paying $7.95 for something it is not complimentary.

There are conflicting reports on people being able to take things from the buffet. I think that's due to non-communication from Corporate. Even staff isn't clear on what the policy is. I hate to be in the position of having to rely on non-enforcement or spotty enforcement of a policy. The policy itself is the problem.

I am a little surprised at your observation, as well as a few others that have said the same thing, that you have been bothered by dishes, etc. in the hallways. My experience has been different, I seldom see any and when I do it's only a few here and there. Maybe it has to do with the way hallways are laid out. I've only been on Jewel class ships. In any case, if there is an issue I think it could be solved by a combination of an information card in the cabin asking people not to put dishes in the hallway, a word from the steward when they notice it that they prefer dishes be left in the cabin for him/her to pick up, and more frequent hallway retrieval.

Edited by old sole

NCL will pay far more attention to their bottom line then anyone on here or Facebook or anywhere else. Many companies make changes and expect an initial public pushback. If, as Del Rio contends, 2016 bookings are up, then why would they care if the vocal minority doesnt like something?

It's all about the bottom line. If bookings begin flattening or dropping, NCL would then make changes to increase them. If they dont, they will look at ways of squeezing every last penny out. It's a business.

NCL will pay far more attention to their bottom line then anyone on here or Facebook or anywhere else. Many companies make changes and expect an initial public pushback. If, as Del Rio contends, 2016 bookings are up, then why would they care if the vocal minority doesnt like something?

It's all about the bottom line. If bookings begin flattening or dropping, NCL would then make changes to increase them. If they dont, they will look at ways of squeezing every last penny out. It's a business.

I still say the reason bookings are up is because of the promos they offered February, March, and April. A LOT of current cruisers booked and a LOT of newbies booked. Without those promos I don't believe it would be up, IMHO.

Harriet

Every NCL cruise I have been on suites and the Haven are always sold out. So maybe NCL ought to build an all Haven ship.:cool:

That has been my experience as well - The Haven is always sold out and I think building an ALL Haven ship would be awesome!

I still say the reason bookings are up is because of the promos they offered February, March, and April. A LOT of current cruisers booked and a LOT of newbies booked. Without those promos I don't believe it would be up, IMHO.

Harriet

I agree. Plus many who booked last quarter has not experience the new changes. The big question is whether these increased bookings become repeat bookings. That remains to be seen. These changes certainly do not make me want another fcc unless some of these new policies are reversed. Time will tell. ..

Harriet

I agree with Harriet. When the promos (UPB, UDP, Family a Friends sail free)came out it seemed at some points hard to even book without being on hold for a long time due to "phone issues". So yes, my guess would be that bookings are up for the first quarter, now that the better promos are gone, I suspect booking for this quarter will be down considerably.

For every cruiser FDR is supposedly chasing away, CC is probably chasing away about 10. There is a lot of mass hysteria and group think happening.

I couldn't agree more. There was too much speculation and some of it was ridiculous speculation totally out of proportion. Very little was based on fact.

NCL did not handle things well. They should have stepped in and set the facts out thus putting an end to much of it. Yes, there would still have been some folks upset but by letting it run I am sure they have lost some prospective business. As for those who are still upset now the facts are becoming clearer then if they choose to go elsewhere that is their privelidge to make that choice.

I would hope NCL learned a very important lesson. Make an announcement and make it very clear, in the words of a 5 year old is probably best. Then people can have at it, dissect it, misinterpret it, argue over it until doomsday. Bacause they will. They love to argue over this is what was meant, no that is what is meant. It is the way things are on this forum and most other forums. For me the cows came home a long time ago.

Anyhoo, I am off on a cruise in 4 weeks time. I am really looking forwards to it and the 3 more I have booked. It will be interesting to see the changes in action for myself, not that any of them have bothered me one bit so far, and it will be interesting to see what more things will change in the future and the aftermath of course.

I am a little surprised at your observation, as well as a few others that have said the same thing, that you have been bothered by dishes, etc. in the hallways. My experience has been different, I seldom see any and when I do it's only a few here and there. Maybe it has to do with the way hallways are laid out. I've only been on Jewel class ships. In any case, if there is an issue I think it could be solved by a combination of an information card in the cabin asking people not to put dishes in the hallway, a word from the steward when they notice it that they prefer dishes be left in the cabin for him/her to pick up, and more frequent hallway retrieval.
I only cruise on the Jewell ships and my experience has been different than yours; there are many plates in the hallways. I really like the suggestion about putting information in the cabins to not put the dishes in the hallways and for the Room Steward to remind them, but unfortunately, just like chair hogs and those that continue to smoke on their balconies, not everyone is going to comply and there will still be the issue. Edited by NLH Arizona

That has been my experience as well - The Haven is always sold out and I think building an ALL Haven ship would be awesome!

There are cruise lines that offer a similar experience for all pax. They are much smaller ships and not involved in the mass market NCL chases.

I do think it's an intriguing idea, but it would be difficult to execute on a large ship. Why? Consider these perks, I won't go through all of them...but it think it will illustrate the issue.

Haven/Suite perks:

--Priority embarkation: Gone. Everyone has priority now, you can't skip to the front of the line.

--Priority disembarkation: Gone. Everyone has priority now, you can't skip to the front of the line.

--Priority tendering: Gone. Everyone has priority now, you can't skip to the front of the line.

--Special breakfast and lunch venue: Gone. It had to be moved to the MDR because all passengers are Haven/Suite guests.

--Special retreat area (Haven courtyard): Gone. It had to be moved to the main pool area because all passengers are Haven/Suite guests.

--Special VIP lounge: Gone. It had to be moved to Dazzles because all passengers are Haven/Suite guests.

--Reserved section of theatre: Gone. The whole theatre is now reserved because all passengers are Haven/Suite guests

--Concierge: Gone. Renamed as Guest Services, located in the main atrium.

--Cocktails with the captain: Gone. Too many guests, just wave at him if you see him.

--Personal escort to your suite: Gone. It would take too long, the ship would never sail.

Some of these really are tongue-in cheek, I'm just having some fun. But, I think you can see where the benefits can become useless when everyone has them.

Also, that is just my line of thought. There may be a brilliant soul on here that can figure out a way to make it work perfectly.

There are cruise lines that offer a similar experience for all pax. They are much smaller ships and not involved in the mass market NCL chases.

I do think it's an intriguing idea, but it would be difficult to execute on a large ship. Why? Consider these perks, I won't go through all of them...but it think it will illustrate the issue.

Haven/Suite perks:

--Priority embarkation: Gone. Everyone has priority now, you can't skip to the front of the line.

--Priority disembarkation: Gone. Everyone has priority now, you can't skip to the front of the line.

--Priority tendering: Gone. Everyone has priority now, you can't skip to the front of the line.

--Special breakfast and lunch venue: Gone. It had to be moved to the MDR because all passengers are Haven/Suite guests.

--Special retreat area (Haven courtyard): Gone. It had to be moved to the main pool area because all passengers are Haven/Suite guests.

--Special VIP lounge: Gone. It had to be moved to Dazzles because all passengers are Haven/Suite guests.

--Reserved section of theatre: Gone. The whole theatre is now reserved because all passengers are Haven/Suite guests

--Concierge: Gone. Renamed as Guest Services, located in the main atrium.

--Cocktails with the captain: Gone. Too many guests, just wave at him if you see him.

--Personal escort to your suite: Gone. It would take too long, the ship would never sail.

Some of these really are tongue-in cheek, I'm just having some fun. But, I think you can see where the benefits can become useless when everyone has them.

Also, that is just my line of thought. There may be a brilliant soul on here that can figure out a way to make it work perfectly.

Don't be so negative lol.

Nice post.

The $7.95 R/S fee went fleet-wide at the end of a two week trial on Getaway and Breakaway. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Despite that, the website FAQ still shows it's only on those two ships, and more importantly the main pages still list Room Service under complimentary dining. That's one reason why many, many people are confused. NCL's current printed information is misleading at best and fraudulent at worst in my opinion. If I am paying $7.95 for something it is not complimentary.

There are conflicting reports on people being able to take things from the buffet. I think that's due to non-communication from Corporate. Even staff isn't clear on what the policy is. I hate to be in the position of having to rely on non-enforcement or spotty enforcement of a policy. The policy itself is the problem.

I agree with this, having a notice in the cabin not to put dishes in the hallway would solve the problem for the most part. There will always be people who don't follow rules just like there are people who eat while in line at the buffet (licking their fingers and then touching serving spoons, ewww!), chair hogs who put flip flops on chairs at 6am and then go and eat a 3-hour breakfast, passengers who smoke on their balconies and also throw the lit cigarette butt overboard, passengers who reserve a row of seats in the theatre and claim the other 12 people in their party are in the rest room, etc.

Again, I'd love to see how NCL decides to enforce this policy, at least for taking full plates of hot food from the buffet, or even simply walking out of the MDR with the plate of dessert in hand. Would security come? Or would they turn around and look the other way? They don't even enforce the dress code in the MDR, I've seen plenty of flip flops, baseball caps, and shorts in the aft dining rooms before, and have read reports recently that people still see this and the host/hostess says nothing. Or the host/hostess tells them they have to go change, the passenger makes a big stink about this and the host/hostess seats the passenger in the MDR anyway. And they don't even have to go up to someone and approach them about it, everyone has to check in with the host/hostess to be seated and it's still not enforced!

I do think it's an intriguing idea, but it would be difficult to execute on a large ship. Why? Consider these perks, I won't go through all of them...but it think it will illustrate the issue. Haven/Suite perks:

Almost spilled my coffee reading your take, LOL. There's a more basic problem, they will have dry dock their fleet of ships to reconfigure and at least double/triple the size of the smallest inside/oceanview cabins to proclaim an upscale experience (some windowless ??) - and compete with other lines. Or, place orders for some more new ships. Maybe, both ... :D

How many butlers and concierge will be needed then, once they figured out the fewer Room Stewards needed and cut back staffing in the buffet - and, they can probably eliminate O'Sheehans to fund some extra cost savings to make their magical numbers in profits.

Maybe this notion of new Haven/Suite only NCL image would sail full - maybe not ... at what prices to make it profitable with many happy returns & happy endings - no steerage, all inclusive ... Something else tells me it's a pipe dream. ;) - just my opinion, of course. Nothing said to be taken seriously - it's only a "test".

Edited by mking8288