Did you consider Windstar?

My dining experience was poor on the PG. I should never have to ask that my water be refilled after it has been sitting empty for 10 minutes. On more than one occasion it was the head waiter that noticed I needed more, not the guy walking by my table every couple of minutes. Please tell me in what 5 star restaurant it would ever be acceptable to allow a guests drink to get all the way empty?

Edited by RZ3

Empty water glasses and walking past the table without stopping is inexcusable in diner no less than on a cruise ship. If that happened to me I would certainly complain. How disappointing for you and shame on the waiter.

My experiences in the PG dining room were markedly different with very concerned and attentive wait staff. This level of service is what I expect all passengers should receive.

Hopefully that waiter who overlooked your service has been taken to task or removed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

My dining experience was poor on the PG. I should never have to ask that my water be refilled after it has been sitting empty for 10 minutes. On more than one occasion it was the head waiter that noticed I needed more, not the guy walking by my table every couple of minutes. Please tell me in what 5 star restaurant it would ever be acceptable to allow a guests drink to get all the way empty?

I had similar experiences. They hadn't planned accordingly and ran out of the wines included with our cruise fare. We were often sent round and round the ship trying to find the wines that were included (we had a special wine package) being shuffled from one bar to the next, and although they were supposed to be included at lunch and dinner, about half the time the dining room had none and we had to leave to go to the bar. Only once did they offer to go get the wine for us.

We also dealt with "empty water glass syndrome" most nights and almost all lunches. Ironically at breakfast we were interrupted every three. I uses to top off the full water glasses that had one sip out of them. It was bizarre.

Since both of you were on the same cruise it sounds like something was really off with the bar and wait staff. It should never had happened and is an exception to the usual attentive service provided by the PG crew. With 6 PG cruises so far, I have not seen behavior such as you described.

I know that Azamara typically gets high marks however the one cruise I took was terrible in many ways. Since so many others have glowing things to say I chalk my cruise up to an anomaly. It happens and all we can do is move on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Conte, that's the only thing I can think of because it really was an issue and I never hear it from anyone else. I'm an incredibly easy going person when on vacation and will put up with a lot of waiting.

I'll admit that a drink running low is a pet peeve, but I only bring that up because it was so blatantly bad. Other service at dinner was just as poor, but I am more forgiving and less likely to complain about a slow meal delivery or other wait as long as I have a drink in front of me, alcoholic or non.

I had good service at breakfast and lunch since I always seemed to find the piano bar bartender or waiter. I spent almost every night there and developed a rapport with them. And yes, I ended up giving them a little bit extra for that extra bit of attention . :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I was on a 14 day PG cruise to the Marquesas. I have previously been on multiple cruises with NCL , Disney, and Princess to the Caribbean. The Caribbean cruises were nice, and we liked the food, service, accommodations very much, but I'd much rather be on the PG. I felt all the aforementioned aspects of the ship were superior on the PG. I've never been on Silversea, Seabourn, or other "luxury" lines, but I thought the PG was pretty darn "luxurious". Maybe I am just an unsophisticated rube who doesn't know better, but my thought is if you can't have a good time on the PG, you probably can't have fun anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on a 14 day PG cruise to the Marquesas. I have previously been on multiple cruises with NCL , Disney, and Princess to the Caribbean. The Caribbean cruises were nice, and we liked the food, service, accommodations very much, but I'd much rather be on the PG. I felt all the aforementioned aspects of the ship were superior on the PG. I've never been on Silversea, Seabourn, or other "luxury" lines, but I thought the PG was pretty darn "luxurious". Maybe I am just an unsophisticated rube who doesn't know better, but my thought is if you can't have a good time on the PG, you probably can't have fun anywhere.

I'm glad you had a good trip! I'm with you...we've enjoyed each of our mass-market cruises (hey, if I don't have to do the driving/cooking/cleanup, I'm pretty happy), so I think PG to us will feel like luxury. Maybe not compared to other luxury vacations, but we are also "unsophisticated rubes" who are pretty easily pleased! :)

I'm still researching...but PG keeps rising to the top!

We will be on our 9th PG cruise in October of this year cruising to New Caledonia. What brings us back each and every time? The ship's atmosphere and crew. Is each and every crew member perfect? NO, but most are wonderful.

We have cruised on Regent and Oceania and we find the PG's crew to friendly, warm,welcoming and professional.

We havestayed on the 8th deck down to the 4th deck we have been treated well at each level.

If we had a problem and voiced it. It was corrected.

The ship has been remodeled and is very fresh and modern looking but it is not one of the newer ships with all of those new and fancy attractions.

• 2 weeks later...

I struggled with the decision of PG vs Windstar after reading this thread and another similar one. I had wanted to sail on PG for years. I've heard great things about Windstar also, but for this trip the dates worked out better with PG, and I really wanted a balcony. I was just so worried that I might be disappointed, after reading some posts and reviews.

Now that I'm back from the trip, I just have to say that PG is wonderful, and I highly recommend it. I wrote a whole review describing why it felt like luxury to me.

I am sure Windstar is fantastic, and I am not here to say that PG is better since I've only sailed PG. But if anyone is in the same position that I was in, I just want to say that PG was perfect to me in so many ways. It was a dream trip.

We had the choice of both Windstar and PG and decided to book the PG after reading lots of reviews. We are very much looking forward to our first trip in two weeks time and won't spend the week wondering whether the Windstar would have been a better choice. If we are lucky enough to go again, who knows maybe we will choose Windstar next time? :)

We had the choice of both Windstar and PG and decided to book the PG after reading lots of reviews. We are very much looking forward to our first trip in two weeks time and won't spend the week wondering whether the Windstar would have been a better choice. If we are lucky enough to go again, who knows maybe we will choose Windstar next time? :)

Have a great trip, you will not be disappointed! I have been on 5 PG cruises and it just gets better and better.

Have a wonderful trip, and come back and tell us all about it!

For our family, while our kids are young and still vacationing with us, we DO look at the price! Our time is also limited...but sadly, so is our budget! ;)

We have not yet sailed PG...we are in the planning stages for our 20th anniversary trip. (We are exploring a few options: Windstar, PG, Celebrity Xpedition/Galpagos, possibly a land trip to Europe.) My point was just that for us, compared to our other cruises, I think PG will be a step up in luxury compared to mass market lines (our only cruising experience!)

For those who sail Crystal, Seabourne, Regent, etc...then I agree, maybe PG is not "luxury".

We have enjoyed all our trips whether they be on the mass market or premium or luxury lines. PG is not luxury in the same way as Crystal is but then Crystal like the PG has small cabins. regent has the nice suites but honestly I have been disappointed with the food in recent years. So there you have it.

I have come to the conclusion that some people just do not get the PG and others like a few of us are drawn back time after time. It's a personality thing.

If you decide to go to the Galapagos I am sure you will love it too we did it some years ago and it was a great trip. You can easily combine it with Machu Picchu.

For our 25 th we did a safari in South Africa and the lodges went all out with special events for us.

Edited by Emdee