Ventura now

BigMac1953

We're on Ventura now.

Our Epicurian Restaurant reservations were cancelled as they are still doing the changeover from White Room.

The Marco White chef was meant to be on board as this was advertised as a "food cruise". He's not.

Tonight we went to the Beach House. Disaster.

On the table there was a small wine list in the shape of a wine bottle. It had about 10 wines listed. I asked the restaurant manager if that was it, or was there another wine list. He told me there was and went to get it and gave it to me.

A waiter turned up for our order. I told him that we'd like to order the drinks first, and could I have a bottle of Chateau Neuf du Pape, No 43. He went away.

10 minutes later, a wine waiter appeared and asked for our drinks order. I explained that we'd already ordered. He then told us that we hadn't, so I re-ordered.

He then tells me that I can't have No 43. I asked why not, to be told that he would have to go all the way down to the main restaurant to get it and that would take too long.

I pointed out that the manager had told us to order from this list and that he was the one that gave it to us. No use, we would have to order from the other list.

I complained to the manager, but he agreed, it would take too long.

What a shambles. I left the restaurant and got room service from our butler.

Another case of the tail wagging the dog. Personally I would sack the lazy waiter.

P & 0, get your act together!!!

Stewart

Looks disappointing but confirms my thought that the beach house is NOT a fine dining restaurant. It is an american diner!

It was never a fine dining room. Not sure it was meant to be one.

True but i sort of get the impression that some people might think it is, especially on those ships where you can reserve tables. It is, after all, a part of the buffet. Check out the sample menus, no epicurian or sindhu dishes there ;)

Thinks, all ships main dining rooms should have room for all passengers in the equivalent of two sittings. Make all the evening buffets Beach Houses at a £5 cover charge :D:eek:

On out last cruise we had no problems with the drinks waiters in the Beach House, they would happily go and get drinks from the main restaurant, one evening they collected wine left over from the previous evening and once when we ordered winde from the commordores collection. Both times they said they had to be collected and it would take about 10 minutes.

We're on Ventura now.

Our Epicurian Restaurant reservations were cancelled as they are still doing the changeover from White Room.

The Marco White chef was meant to be on board as this was advertised as a "food cruise". He's not.

Tonight we went to the Beach House. Disaster.

On the table there was a small wine list in the shape of a wine bottle. It had about 10 wines listed. I asked the restaurant manager if that was it, or was there another wine list. He told me there was and went to get it and gave it to me.

A waiter turned up for our order. I told him that we'd like to order the drinks first, and could I have a bottle of Chateau Neuf du Pape, No 43. He went away.

10 minutes later, a wine waiter appeared and asked for our drinks order. I explained that we'd already ordered. He then told us that we hadn't, so I re-ordered.

He then tells me that I can't have No 43. I asked why not, to be told that he would have to go all the way down to the main restaurant to get it and that would take too long.

I pointed out that the manager had told us to order from this list and that he was the one that gave it to us. No use, we would have to order from the other list.

I complained to the manager, but he agreed, it would take too long.

What a shambles. I left the restaurant and got room service from our butler.

Another case of the tail wagging the dog. Personally I would sack the lazy waiter.

P & 0, get your act together!!!

Stewart

Dont know about sacking but they are getting rid of all wine wiaters in MDR's we were told that they have the choice to be drinks waiters in bars or bar stewards and that was last year when we were told this by our wine waiter on Oriana. TBH we have only ever had a good wine waiter on P&O very occasionally and more often than not the wine being delivered halfway through our meal. We much prefer the way they do it on Princess which is the way P&O are going and that is the food waiter takes your drinks order before taking your food order and then a "runner" delivers your drinks and always before you start your meal a far better service.

We had a very different experience on Britannia. We had a part bottle open from the night before and our waiter went down to the restaurant to retrieve it for us at the Beach House without even a hint of it being a problem. The lava rock steak was also delicious and we had a thoroughly great evening as a family.

I await your further reports with interest, Stewart. We are on Britannia in two weeks, because we wanted to see the ship, and like you think we may notice QUITE a difference from the last voyage we were on (along with you) in December!

But Britannia does offer some innovative ideas which is what appealed to us in the first place. It remains to be seen if we return!

Hoping your experience improves. And see you in November!

Edited by cruiseluvva

I agree entirely, Dai

The Beach House Diner was never intended to be a fine dining restaurant, neither has it ever (to my knowledge) been represented as one. It is an informal bistro, and as such cannot be expected to provide the full wine list available in the restaurant. From memory the wine list, though relatively short compared with the latter, was adequate for tis type of venue.

Is it just me ? But isn't wanting a waiter sacked because you couldn't have your "No.43", a little bit over the top ?

I think some people may have missed the point.

It was the Restsurant Manager who gave me the wine list and told us we could order from either list. It was the stubborn waiter who couldn't be bothered. Others have pointed out, both here and on board, that they've been able to get drinks sent up from the MDR. It seems that on this occasion the tail was wagging the dog.

We've been to two Headliners shows. Much more lavish than we've seen on other lines and very well performed. We're going again tonight. They only have six performances during the two week cruise.

Contrary to what we were told, Pierre Marco White did join us in Lisbon, but only for two days.

I didn't realise that about 90% of the food on board is cooked elsewhere and only reheated, unlike what we've been used to.

Although not full, the ship is very busy.

Due to high winds, we had to miss Cadiz, so the itinerary is all mixed up.

Last night was black tie, but about 20% ignored it with plenty of tee shirts and open neck shirts in evidence. We did see someone being refused entry into the show bar as they only had an open shirt. Quite right too!

We didn't like the look of the MDR, even although we have freedom dining, so have used the Glass House and East. Tonight it's Epicurean.

Fiona joins us for lunch and sometimes dinner. She's quite handy to have around as she gets 40% discount on drinks, except champagne for some reason..

Our cabin steward and butler have been great and most helpful. Indeed, most crew members and waiter sect have been friendly and attentive.

More to follow....

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

I think some people may have missed the point.

It was the Restsurant Manager who gave me the wine list and told us we could order from either list. It was the stubborn waiter who couldn't be bothered. Others have pointed out, both here and on board, that they've been able to get drinks sent up from the MDR. It seems that on this occasion the tail was wagging the dog.

We've been to two Headliners shows. Much more lavish than we've seen on other lines and very well performed. We're going again tonight. They only have six performances during the two week cruise.

Contrary to what we were told, Pierre Marco White did join us in Lisbon, but only for two days.

I didn't realise that about 90% of the food on board is cooked elsewhere and only reheated, unlike what we've been used to.

Although not full, the ship is very busy.

Due to high winds, we had to miss Cadiz, so the itinerary is all mixed up.

Last night was black tie, but about 20% ignored it with plenty of tee shirts and open neck shirts in evidence. We did see someone being refused entry into the show bar as they only had an open shirt. Quite right too!

We didn't like the look of the MDR, even although we have freedom dining, so have used the Glass House and East. Tonight it's Epicurean.

Fiona joins us for lunch and sometimes dinner. She's quite handy to have around as she gets 40% discount on drinks, except champagne for some reason..

Our cabin steward and butler have been great and most helpful. Indeed, most crew members and waiter sect have been friendly and attentive.

More to follow....

Stewart

what is the 'show bar' on Ventura?

The Tamarind Club, deck 7.

Mmm! according to the P&O site the Tamarind club is a smart casual venue on formal nights, as it was when I cruised on Ventura :confused:

the only entertainment venues listed as 'formal' are the Red Bar and Metropolis.

IMO P&O need to show consistency in this area. If they don't they leave themselves open to justified criticism.

Was this individual dressed in evening casual, or did they have tatty jeans or trainers?

had another wee problem the other night whilst awaiting the start of the show. I ordered a glass of champagne and the waiter brought prosecco. I pointed out his error and asked him to change it. He said no, because prosecco is champagne. I pointed out that prosecco is prosecco and champagne is champagne, but it was no good, he wouldn't give in, much to the amusement of those around, and insisted that prosecco is house champagne. Eventually I had to ask him to fetch his supervisor and at that point he relented and took the offending glass away.

I did mention it to the bar manager more because he wanted to stand and argue, even although he was totally wrong. The manager agreed that more training was necessary and I wAs happy to leave it at that.

We dined at the Epicurean two nights ago. They are trying very hard and the service is attentive.

One annoying point is that the wait staff are now trained to tell you the story behind the dishes ordered, so here was a lovely wee Asian girl trying to tell me all about the Scottish Lochs where my smoked salmon came from. They wanted feedback, so I suggested that in future customers are give the choice of whether on not they want the whole story behind every course. They also had a surprise course that we didn't want, and agin I suggested that we should be given the choice.

We used East again last night as we are now on to Menu 2. Again a very nice meal and good attention.

The internet is dreadfully slow. I've tried to post on here three times and each time as I pressed "submit" it crashed and three times my diatribe was lost. Lucky for some.

Right now in Gib using free Wifi in a pub.

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953