Hotels with Shuttle service to the Long Beach Port

kdinkus1

Looking for a Long Beach hotel for a cruise in January that has a shuttle that goes from the hotel to the Long Beach Port that is affordable? We just booked with the Hilton Long Beach Hotel because of my DH's points but when I called the hotel directly, they said the running of the shuttle will depend on it's 'availability'. When asked what that meant, I got a unsatisfactory answer. However, we were told that we can always call a cab. (We booked this hotel because we were told a shuttle did RUN from the hotel to port.) Ugh. Called the Maya but it is completely booked (I had stayed there once before but my son paid) and several others do not have port shuttles. So any advice would be helpful.

Edited by gammy3gks

They have a bus called the Passport. It is free and will take you all over Long Beach. We stayed at the Maya the last time and a group of us took the Passport over to Bubba Gump for dinner. You just have to pay attention. It does not take you to the port.

Edited by deborahjo

The Long Beach Best Western Downtown has a park and sail package. The hotel is clean and well kept. The parking is underground and locked. It runs about $140. The only drawback is the surrounding neighborhood is a little on the rough side.

The Passport actually goes to the port...It's the "Queen Mary" stop...The Queen Mary is right next to the Carnival pier.

But, as far as taxi rides go, it is a very CHEAP taxi ride from the Hilton to the Carnival Terminal...The Hilton, the Hyatt, the Hyatt at the Pike, the Residence, the Westin are all within a few blocks of the pier--all right across the channel. The Maya, the Residence Inn Downtown and the Queen Mary are all on the SAME side of the channel as the dock...and even walkable if you are packed light and on wheels...

I would NOT pick a hotel in a bad neighborhood or far from Downtown Long Beach just to get an included shuttle...It's just not worth it. Do you want to enjoy your pre-cruise Long Beach stay? Stay in this limited area of Long Beach--near the cruise terminal, near the Aquarium, the Queen Mary, Shoreline Village, the Pike, etc. THIS is the prime tourist area. This is the safest, nicest area in which to walk around. This is where you will fiond other things to see or do the day before. This is where you will have a multitude of restaurant choices. And so on. A taxi may cost you a mere ten bucks including tip. It's not worth staying in a lesser neighborhood or staying far from port just to get an inconvenient motel shuttle. If you have the Hilton points to stay at the Hilton, go ahead...keep it.

The Passport actually goes to the port...It's the "Queen Mary" stop...The Queen Mary is right next to the Carnival pier.

But, as far as taxi rides go, it is a very CHEAP taxi ride from the Hilton to the Carnival Terminal...The Hilton, the Hyatt, the Hyatt at the Pike, the Residence, the Westin are all within a few blocks of the pier--all right across the channel. The Maya, the Residence Inn Downtown and the Queen Mary are all on the SAME side of the channel as the dock...and even walkable if you are packed light and on wheels...

I would NOT pick a hotel in a bad neighborhood or far from Downtown Long Beach just to get an included shuttle...It's just not worth it. Do you want to enjoy your pre-cruise Long Beach stay? Stay in this limited area of Long Beach--near the cruise terminal, near the Aquarium, the Queen Mary, Shoreline Village, the Pike, etc. THIS is the prime tourist area. This is the safest, nicest area in which to walk around. This is where you will fiond other things to see or do the day before. This is where you will have a multitude of restaurant choices. And so on. A taxi may cost you a mere ten bucks including tip. It's not worth staying in a lesser neighborhood or staying far from port just to get an inconvenient motel shuttle. If you have the Hilton points to stay at the Hilton, go ahead...keep it.

Are there any places to eat within walking distance of Hotel Maya? (not in the hotel)

thanks

Are there any places to eat within walking distance of Hotel Maya? (not in the hotel)

thanks

That side of the channel is highly industrial...There's the Carnival Terminal, the Queen Mary, The Maya and the Residence Inn...and that's about it...

But, right over the bridge--I guess it's walking distance, but I wouldn't do it...it's a heavily trafficked bridge not really great for pedestrians...BUT there is a FREE shuttle--the "Passport"--that will pick you up right in front of the Maya and take you across...there are a large number of restaurants: Bubba Gump, Chili's, Outback, PF Chang, Gladstone's, Tokyo Wako, Famous Dave's BBQ, Yard House, Tequila Jack's, Shenanigan's, Parker's Lighthouse...literally one after the other as you walk around the Marina from the Aquarium to Shoreline Village...Across the street from the Aquarium, in the Pike complex, there's Hooters, Islands, Auld Dubliners and California Pizza Kitchen...There are even more restaurants along Pine across Ocean Avenue...All of the above are really easy to get to...just hop on the free shuttle...

The Passport shuttle runs every 10-15 minutes from early morning until late at night...

http://www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=30&routes=Passport&direction=Outbound&day=today&mode=map

Stop "B" is right in front of the Maya...Stops "C" and "D" are at either end of that strip of restaurants...

Edited by Bruin Steve

That side of the channel is highly industrial...There's the Carnival Terminal, the Queen Mary, The Maya and the Residence Inn...and that's about it...

But, right over the bridge--I guess it's walking distance, but I wouldn't do it...it's a heavily trafficked bridge not really great for pedestrians...BUT there is a FREE shuttle--the "Passport"--that will pick you up right in front of the Maya and take you across...there are a large number of restaurants: Bubba Gump, Chili's, Outback, PF Chang, Gladstone's, Tokyo Wako, Famous Dave's BBQ, Yard House, Tequila Jack's, Shenanigan's, Parker's Lighthouse...literally one after the other as you walk around the Marina from the Aquarium to Shoreline Village...Across the street from the Aquarium, in the Pike complex, there's Hooters, Islands, Auld Dubliners and California Pizza Kitchen...There are even more restaurants along Pine across Ocean Avenue...All of the above are really easy to get to...just hop on the free shuttle...

The Passport shuttle runs every 10-15 minutes from early morning until late at night...

http://www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=30&routes=Passport&direction=Outbound&day=today&mode=map

Stop "B" is right in front of the Maya...Stops "C" and "D" are at either end of that strip of restaurants...

Thanks, Steve! We are taking a "quickie" cruise and staying at Hotel Maya the night before. Appreciate the info!

What are the thoughts about the Holiday Inn-Downtown Long beach off of Atlantic Ave?

You are closer to the airport and some distance from the port. If you want to go to the Pike area your best bet is the Maya, Queen Mary our Residence Inn. The passport is free and runs between the hotels to the Pike.

What are the thoughts about the Holiday Inn-Downtown Long beach off of Atlantic Ave?

Personally, I would NOT stay there...

It is NOT in a nice neighborhood...There is really nothing around there...except a hospital across the street...and Long Beach's roughest high school three blocks away.

Spend a few dollars more and stay in the right part of town...

A list: Hyatt, Hyatt at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin...

B List: Maya Doubletree, Hilton, Residence Inn Downtown

Especially if you fly in and have no transportation. These put you in reach of the free shuttle, but, more importantly, walkable to all of the restaurants, shopping and tourist sites...

Don't compromise your comfort, convenience and security for a cheap hotel rate. You get what you pay for.

It's only seven blocks from the port and they provide a shuttle service. I just booked a park and cruise rate there.

Either someone lied to you or you've got a bad map...

It is THREE AND A HALF MILES from the Carnival cruise port.

If you don't need restaurants, shopping, or tourism, the Holiday Inn is just fine. We sure don't need all that stuff after a nine-hour drive, and paying $500 to park and cruise is ridiculous. I've stayed in the Pike area several times and don't feel that much safer there. We're quite happy with the restaurant and bar that is in the hotel.

Looking for a Long Beach hotel for a cruise in January that has a shuttle that goes from the hotel to the Long Beach Port that is affordable? We just booked with the Hilton Long Beach Hotel because of my DH's points but when I called the hotel directly, they said the running of the shuttle will depend on it's 'availability'.When asked what that meant, I got a unsatisfactory answer. However, we were told that we can always call a cab. (We booked this hotel because we were told a shuttle did RUN from the hotel to port.) Ugh. Called the Maya but it is completely booked (I had stayed there once before but my son paid) and several others do not have port shuttles. So any advice would be helpful.

We found out that the Maya has over 2500 people booked at their hotel (during the time we were needing a room) come next January, which sadly for us, means no available rooms. So we are going to stick with the Hilton Long Beach Hotel after all the comments here. I am hoping to find some restaurants on a map within walking distance of the hotel because we are going to come in 2 days before the cruise. If not, we will look into the 'Passport' as well... Thanks for telling me about this! :)

Long blocks, and it's still not close to the airport.

Laurie, you are losing credibility with every post...

"Long blocks"? What is a "long block"? Four or five of anyone else's definition of a "block"?

YOU are at Atlantic Boulevard between 11th and Anaheim Ave.

Count with me...Walk down Atlantic...11th...10th...9th...8th...7th...6th...5th...4th...

...You've already walked over 7 blocks and you are only at 4th and Atlantic...You'd still have to walk another three to four blocks to get to Walmart...and that still isn't in a very good neighborhood. But, let's keep walking down Atlantic...

3rd...2nd...1st...Ocean...Well 11 and a half blocks and you are, at least, getting close to the beach...but, still a little east of the port...So, let's turn right on Ocean...

...Linden...Elm...Long Beach... Locust...Pine...Pacific...Cedar...Chestnut...Magnolia...

20 and a half blocks and we can finally turn left toward the pier...

Two long blocks to the bridge and the equivalent of two or three blocks crossing it...Then the equivalent of about 6+ blocks down to the Carnival Terminal...

So, if we're counting in "blocks", I count about 32...and Google maps counts it as three and a half miles...

We found out that the Maya has over 2500 people booked at their hotel (during the time we were needing a room) come next January, which sadly for us, means no available rooms. So we are going to stick with the Hilton Long Beach Hotel after all the comments here. I am hoping to find some restaurants on a map within walking distance of the hotel because we are going to come in 2 days before the cruise. If not, we will look into the 'Passport' as well... Thanks for telling me about this! :)

Nothing really immediately near the Hilton (which is why I put them on my

"B" list rather than "A")...But, if you want to walk a little, if you turn left oput of the hotel and walk about 5 blocks (typical short blocks here--Not Laurie's "long blocks", you will come to Pine Avenue and lots of restaurants...Or, cross Ocean and walk a block down to Shoreline and turn left...Within about four blocks, you'll be at the Aquarium and all of those long line of restaurants will start appearing on your left...The Passport shuttle route actually passes right by the Hilton...but there's no listed stop there... Ask the Hilton front desk or the bus driver...maybe they'll be nice and pick you up or drop you off there.

Long blocks, and it's still not close to the airport.

Really I was just there yesterday and it is about mile up the 405 from the end if the runway. Certainly not anywhere near the port.

Really I was just there yesterday and it is about mile up the 405 from the end if the runway. Certainly not anywhere near the port.

There are TWO Holiday Inns in Long Beach...

One is at the Lakewood exit to the 405--very near the Long Beach Airport...

That is NOT the one Laurie likes...

Hers is at Atlantic and Anaheim...NOT very convenient to the airport...or to the port...

About the only thing it's convenient for is those visiting patients at St. Mary's Medical Center...

The only "port" it's convenient to? There are some homeless winos on the sidewalk in front of the hotel and I think one has a bottle of port in a paper bag...

There is a shopping center catty-corner across Anaheim and Atlantic anchored by a Smart & Final, a Radio Shack, a Cambodian supermarket, donut store, subway, Vietnamese restaurant...(It's in an area sometimes called "Cambodia Town")...There is some tacky, almost "third world", retail along Anaheim Avenue...

Long Beach Poly High School--about three SHORT blocks north has the distinction of having put more players into the NFL than any other high school in the country...

I guess Laurie likes it because she doesn't venture out of the hotel...and feels her car is safe there while she's off on a cruise...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Laurie, you are losing credibility with every post...

"Long blocks"? What is a "long block"? Four or five of anyone else's definition of a "block"?

YOU are at Atlantic Boulevard between 11th and Anaheim Ave.

Count with me...Walk down Atlantic...11th...10th...9th...8th...7th...6th...5th...4th...

...You've already walked over 7 blocks and you are only at 4th and Atlantic...You'd still have to walk another three to four blocks to get to Walmart...and that still isn't in a very good neighborhood. But, let's keep walking down Atlantic...

3rd...2nd...1st...Ocean...Well 11 and a half blocks and you are, at least, getting close to the beach...but, still a little east of the port...So, let's turn right on Ocean...

...Linden...Elm...Long Beach... Locust...Pine...Pacific...Cedar...Chestnut...Magnolia...

20 and a half blocks and we can finally turn left toward the pier...

Two long blocks to the bridge and the equivalent of two or three blocks crossing it...Then the equivalent of about 6+ blocks down to the Carnival Terminal...

So, if we're counting in "blocks", I count about 32...and Google maps counts it as three and a half miles...

Nothing really immediately near the Hilton (which is why I put them on my

"B" list rather than "A")...But, if you want to walk a little, if you turn left oput of the hotel and walk about 5 blocks (typical short blocks here--Not Laurie's "long blocks", you will come to Pine Avenue and lots of restaurants...Or, cross Ocean and walk a block down to Shoreline and turn left...Within about four blocks, you'll be at the Aquarium and all of those long line of restaurants will start appearing on your left...The Passport shuttle route actually passes right by the Hilton...but there's no listed stop there... Ask the Hilton front desk or the bus driver...maybe they'll be nice and pick you up or drop you off there.

Guess you don't see the humor in what I said. Bottom line, it works for us and our needs, and I wouldn't care if it were 5 miles from the port. The neighborhood doesn't bother me since I have no intention of walking around. I also have no worries about my truck, I've parked in much worse areas.

For once I agree with Bruin Steve. North LB is not a very good area. Okay to walk around during the day, but I wouldn't at night. Check to see if the parking area is underground. I wouldn't want to leave my car in an open lot for the duration of the cruise in that area.

We normally take the Blue Line (public transportation) from Union Station to Long Beach. We once had to get off at the Anaheim Station due to a power outage. We had to walk about 1/4 mile to the free bus and from there it was about another 10 minutes to the port.

Laurie - Did you ask the reservation person how far it was to the pier? If you did, maybe they thought you meant the area where all of the restaurants are and the Pike. Because from the Pike, it is about 2 miles to the ship.

The hotel has an underground parking garage. I made my reservation online, I never call in if I can do anything that way, less chance of error. The Holiday Inn is 1.41 miles from the Hyatt, and 3.14 miles from Hotel Maya. If I were walking, I would walk to the Pike area at that distance as that is a short walk for me, but I wouldn't walk anywhere around Long Beach at night.

On January 30th we'll check in, put the truck in the garage, and sit down for a few cold ones at the bar. The wino can enjoy his drink on the curb, and we'll enjoy ours in comfort.