New to Princess, Please help

wimsikl

Hello- We've only sailed NCL, and I know exactly what I'm doing in terms of cabins, decks, pricing, deals, promos, etc.

However now I want to go on a Princess cruise, British Isles in June 2016. I have a couple of questions:

1) in summer 2015, there is an 8 day cruise which would be perfect for us. But I do not see any of these for 2016. Does Princess sometimes add itineraries as it gets closer to the date?

2) My only other option is the 12 day one. This is a bit long but could work. But the prices are so high and there are no promotions I can see. For my family of four, we would require a mini-suite, and is is basically $13,000 with no on board credit, perks of any kind, etc...

How do I get a better deal? What kinds of promos are best, that I should be on the lookout for? For example, on NCL, I would tell someone to wait for Kids Sail Free and Unlimited Beverage Package, among other things. What do I look for with Princess?

Any other tips for me? We are mom/dad/two girls age 10, we drink alcohol, need a minisuite or better, spend a fair amount on board with excursions, spa, etc, tip well, etc... Specialty dining is the one thing not important to us.

Edited by wimsikl
forgot something

Hello- We've only sailed NCL, and I know exactly what I'm doing in terms of cabins, decks, pricing, deals, promos, etc.

However now I want to go on a Princess cruise, British Isles in June 2016. I have a couple of questions:

1) in summer 2015, there is an 8 day cruise which would be perfect for us. But I do not see any of these for 2016. Does Princess sometimes add itineraries as it gets closer to the date?

2) My only other option is the 12 day one. This is a bit long but could work. But the prices are so high and there are no promotions I can see. For my family of four, we would require a mini-suite, and is is basically $13,000 with no on board credit, perks of any kind, etc...

How do I get a better deal? What kinds of promos are best, that I should be on the lookout for? For example, on NCL, I would tell someone to wait for Kids Sail Free and Unlimited Beverage Package, among other things. What do I look for with Princess?

Any other tips for me? We are mom/dad/two girls age 10, we drink alcohol, need a minisuite or better, spend a fair amount on board with excursions, spa, etc, tip well, etc... Specialty dining is the one thing not important to us.

Yes the prices have gone up considerably, we have sticker shock for our Med cruises. Hope its not a trend to stay. :(

Find a good TA to help you.

Special will come closer to the date. 2015 European cruises went on special in Mar this year . As long as final payment isn't paid , you can request a price adjustment . Some fares will require a non-refundable $100 deposit.

Check with the TA to make sure there are not fees for changes.

I always get sticker on the cost air to Europe from Canada .

Edited by Kamloops50

Some have posted the April 2016 - March 2017 itineraries will be out on May 21st (PST) from Princess. ;)

LuLu

All the European cruises for Summer 2016 have been posted . There might be some minor changes within the cruises themselves but none will be added. Changes aren't easy to be made . Port reservations for the ships are booked two years in advance.

If you can, wait for "wave" season which in the cruise industry is usually January through March prior to the summer you want to sail in. That's when there are more promotions. But, on the other hand, if you wait that long airfare might be higher.

Since you only want a mini-suite, I would book as soon as you find a cabin at a price you can live with and then keep checking for price drops and/or promotions before final payment.

You can try Celebrity & they have family veranda (balcony) that sleep up to 5 and will fit 4 but you mostly have to book through TA because they are in short supply. I have sail many time with my 2 girls in regular outside or balcony cabin with no problem. I am also new to Princess & are looking to cruise in Diamond in Japan next year.:)

Bob

If you can, wait for "wave" season which in the cruise industry is usually January through March prior to the summer you want to sail in. That's when there are more promotions. But, on the other hand, if you wait that long airfare might be higher.

Since you only want a mini-suite, I would book as soon as you find a cabin at a price you can live with and then keep checking for price drops and/or promotions before final payment.

I agree. :)

My best suggestion to you is to use a travel agent and reserve now. Ask your agent to keep an eye out for price drops. That way you have the cabin you want and if the price goes down your agent will get it for you.

I think you will enjoy Princess very much!:)

Hi

Having travelled around the UK a couple of times with teenager ,For 13k USD you would be much better hiring a car and driving around ( distances are short ) or getting a rail pass and using the UKs excellent rail network. London is a must with kids ,Tower of London ,Greenwich,etc .

Hi

Having travelled around the UK a couple of times with teenager ,For 13k USD you would be much better hiring a car and driving around ( distances are short ) or getting a rail pass and using the UKs excellent rail network. London is a must with kids ,Tower of London ,Greenwich,etc .

Oh I totally get it... have done UK as a single gal and on honeymoon. But with kids, I have learned that it takes such an enormous amount of effort to get my family to to the vacation, that we all need a few days of absolute downtime before we can start to enjoy it. The 8 hour time difference will also be a big factor. Thus I thought a cruise, with kids club, chefs, bartenders and room stewards would be a great way to start, then switch to land portion when we are alive again!