Experienced River Cruisers Advice

jldodge

We are planning our first river cruise in Europe. We are very experienced and familiar with ocean cruising but not with the companies that provide river cruises. We are considering river cruising from Amsterdam to the Black Sea (not on any single cruise) and would like to know what cruise lines offer the best experience. Cruising is an adventure for us so we want to experience a lot of the history and culture of the various areas we will be visiting. Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...

I'm a Uniworld fan. My ocean cruise experience is primarily on Regent Seven Seas. The all-inclusive luxury experience I receive on RSSC is very close to the all-inclusive luxury experience I enjoy on Uniworld. The ships and staff are top notch. The food on Uniworld reflects the area you are visiting. It's not unusual to see the crew lined up on shore passing supplies from person to person to load local produce onboard for the guests to enjoy. Shore excursions are included. All drinks including excellent regional wines are included. Tips are included. Other river cruises come in with a low "bottom line" cost, but I find that what I pay on Uniworld is a very realistic figure for the experience.

Have you read the Intro to River Cruising information that is "stickied" to the top of this forum? There is a lot of good information there, including a Cruise Critic-produced guide that compares some ocean lines to river lines.

There are only two fully all-inclusive companies, Tauck and Scenic. The rest may appear all-inclusive but they all have that optional extra somewhere on the cruise. I'm biased. I've traveled twice with Tauck and I think they represent the best value.

Check out Scenic as well they to are all inclusive. Compare the itineraries decide what you like best whoever you choose enjoy your cruise but be warned it can be adictive.

CA

Good Afternoon Canal Archive,

all I can say is you by all means are giving the best advice. It is whatever makes that one individual happy sure I agree with you probably 110% about Scenic but then everyone maybe doesn't expect the best with The Butlers and Limos and The Daily Restocking of The Bar with Wine and Beer and Top Shelf Alcohol and already having their Gratuities already taken care of.

looks to be that you are just about ready to set sail and like you we just can't wait.

Ah 15 Days of Loungin" Laughin" and enjoying those tasty Libations. Boy just think I don't even have to make the bed. haha.

Wishing you smooth Sailing and a Great and Wonderful Time

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Lisa and Gary

Edited by LoneStarCruisinCouple

I'm counting the days to your cruise to you are both so positive. Just waiting for our final paperwork and still researching. The lists are getting longer, what to pack what not to pack. The odd cocktail on the balcony delivered by our butler. We start on my birthday, yippee! Last year was my DH 70th, not that he acts or looks it, the year before my ? birthday, the year before that our 40th wedding anniversary. Now just got to think of an excellent excuse to persuade DH for next year. We travel to Lyon by Eurostar then change trains for Chalon sur Saone then transfer by Scenic, return all the way by Eurostar we do love trains.

CA

In addition to the material in the sticky at the top of this forum, you should check with your local library for Douglas Ward's Berlitz guide to River Cruising in Europe. He has pages and pages of good insight in to river cruising (incl. as compared to ocean cruising), the different itineraries, the different lines, and a write-up on every river ship. Spoiler alert: his top 11 river ships are are AmaWaterways.

We are considering river cruising from Amsterdam to the Black Sea (not on any single cruise) and would like to know what cruise lines offer the best experience. .

The best experience is quite subjective, but I suggest you think about how all inclusive you are looking for - which will help you narrow down your options.

If you are cruising the Danube between Budapest and the Black Sea, I would suggest you start in Bucharest (or where ever the cruise starts with the company you are traveling with) and cruise towards Budapest. Romania is still climbing out from the financial issues they have experienced - so you cruise from the "have not" towards the "have" part of Eastern Europe. Not many places where you can walk off the boat into town - so be prepared for quite a bit of busing if you do that itinerary. We enjoyed it - but were aware of the differences with this itinerary.

Cruising is an adventure for us so we want to experience a lot of the history and culture of the various areas we will be visiting. Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...

There is so much to see on the Danube - and, except for the area below Budapest - lots of places that you will be able to walk right off the boat into town. So much history... lots of great food & drink!!

Enjoy your planning!!

Fran