So you are a newbie...well here is my unsolicited advice

I did not read all of the pages so not sure if these have been mentioned yet but some additional advice for newbies would be:

Know the fine details of the rate in which you are booked under.... A lot of folks really swear by booking Early Saver due to the great OBC that can be had. With that said, know the penalties and do not come back on CC and whine because someone in your group had to cancel, you need to do a name change, life happened and now you cannot go on the original date, life happened and now you need to cancel....... all with expecting Carnival to allow you to be the exception to the rule and cut you a monetary break. READ the RULES...... Yes you get great OBC but know the penalties too. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you choose to save a few bucks and NOT purchase Trip Insurance do not come back here whining and expect Carnival to cut you a break and make you the exception just because XYZ... happened to you. I purchase it every cruise.... have never had to use it but I do not expect a refund because I didn't need it, so don't expect Carnival make you an exception if you choose not to purchase it.

Realize that sometimes ports get cancelled due to weather conditions or other reasons. Just go with the flow and make the best of it. We have had Grand Cayman cancelled 2 cruises in a row due to weather. We were disappointed but realized that it was done with the passenger's safety in mind. You would not believe how many rude and disrespectful passengers were in line at the Guest Service desk to loudly complain and make a fuss... It was pitiful that mature adults could act like spoiled little children.

Realize that sometimes ports get cancelled due to weather conditions or other reasons. Just go with the flow and make the best of it. We have had Grand Cayman cancelled 2 cruises in a row due to weather. We were disappointed but realized that it was done with the passenger's safety in mind. You would not believe how many rude and disrespectful passengers were in line at the Guest Service desk to loudly complain and make a fuss... It was pitiful that mature adults could act like spoiled little children.

Mature in age only. Anyone who doubts the Captains decision to skip a port because of weather needs to Google "Sunshine Skyway Disaster"

I'd rather over pack, than under pack. I don't want to spend time doing laundry. I did once, someone spilled a beer on our open bag of clothes, someone I think being my husband.

If you aren't traveling with a large group opt to sit at a group table. That would completly ruin our cruise and cause me to NEVER travel that cruise line again. Table for 2, now 3, ONLY. I don't cruise to meet people, I cruise for memories with my family and to do nothing. I hate small talk.

FTTF is worth it if you have small kids, imo. If you're flying into port and don't have anywhere to hang out. or need to back to the room for naptime (assuming your room is ready with FTTF?).

We drive. So nbd. We arrive later so we can walk onto the ship, we wait for tender ports till the craziness has cleared. I think we will bring dr. pepper, since it's allowed. I don't like coke.

Since many of the suggestions involve $ , let me offer a couple of booking tips.

Just like real estate where everything is location location location , with cruises price is based on date and cabin category . Do not restrict your cruise options. Due to work , we must (and it is a must :D) cruise during specific times . So that's set in stone but the cruise line , departure point , cabin category and length are not There is a great on-line TA whose site is vabulous for sorting all the various options .

You can book direct with the cruise line or try to save a bit by using a TA . Sometimes the savings can be substantial . Dealing direct reduces a layer of inconvenience so we go with a TA only if the perks are large . We saved about $500 on one cruise going with a TA . Deals are always changing and prices go up and down and then up and down . The cruise lines will rebate you the discount prior to the final booking date BUT don't count on them to inform you of these price drops . Sometimes a deal will appear such as a chance to upgrade to a higher category or let say a "free" drink package for way less then you would imagine . Keep on checking the option even after booking . BTW , driving instead of flying can be a good way to save.

The preceding are just the tip of the iceberg . A perfect example is my parents upcoming Alaskan cruise . The could have paid half of what they are by cruising one way to Alaska from Vancouver instead of other way around . I tried to inform them of this but they didn't want to hear about it so I backed off . Bothers the hell of me but I know when to shut up (sometimes).

Again , there are huge saving to be had so keep your option open .

Carnival also has the excursion price match now, too. If you find the same excursion for less money, they'll match it.

And while I agree with most of this, I adamantly disagree with the bringing soda/water on board. I drink a lot of water and no matter what ship I've been on, the ships water causes me to swell. There's trace amounts of saltwater in it and for whatever reason, it doesn't do well with my water consumption. I put 24 in a suitcase for a seven day cruise and a 12 pack of soda for my DH. I can't imagine buying a drink card and paying what they charge when I can grab a 12 pack for 3.99 at the supermarket. Waste of money, IMO.

We also bring on the wine. My DH brings one and I bring one and have never paid the corkage fee. I do have a rum runner and usually bring on some rum, but end up pouring about 1/4 of it down the drain at the end of the cruise. I buy a few Kiss On The Lips and a few buckets of beer through the week.

There are NO excursions that match exactly. Plus the ship excursions are usually quite a bit more crowded

I can't figure out what even prompted this thread. Did the OP get up this morning and say, right, I am going to write a new thread and give those poor newbies my personal preferences for cruising and present it as absolute fact.

To start off, the comment about the water tasting fine is apparently coming from someone with no ability to taste, because I have been on 7 different ships, and the water is undrinkable to me because of taste. If it was all that was available I could get enough down to prevent death, but that would be about it.

I am so glad as a newbie, I never saw such a post as this. (I also don't like the taste of the bottled water on board either) If I had read and believed this cruisers personal opinions, I would not have had soda available in my room to drink at night and take with me to the dining room. I would be mad after having to pay as much for one can as I would a six pack.

FTTF? Really, because the op thinks it is a stupid purchase a newbie should not get it. A newbie is much more likely to be standing in line at the service desk than I am, yet that was my favorite part of the plan because it so happened we had a missing piece of luggage that was not found until Wed. (A man had thrown it in the closet thinking it was part of their luggage and nobody realized it until wed when they turned it in)

I know the op is well meaning, but honestly.

I do agree about arriving later however because I hate to sit around and wait. Not exciting to me at all and if you arrive late with FTTF, there will be no waiting at all. They meet you at the door and practically walk you straight on to the ship after one short stop to swipe your passport and take a picture.

I would also like to add, the last thing I am going to be doing on vacation is laundry.

I agree with everything you said especially-"I would also like to add, the last thing I am going to be doing on vacation is laundry"

Carnival also has the excursion price match now, too. If you find the same excursion for less money, they'll match it.

Have we ever seen anyone get a price match on a Carnival excursion? I haven't seen one reported. Though I haven't been around here enough.

The thing is that the cruise companies prevent their vendors from providing the exact same tour to non cruise guests. They also customize their tours so that it is unlikely that there is no other excursion out there that is the same. Their tour might include some other shopping stop or some other obscure difference that allows them to deny any price match requests.

Take Progresso Mexico. AutoProgresso goes to Uxmul, Carnival has one too. Though the Carnival tour is $30 more per person. No price match there because the Carnival tour is one hour longer and includes lunch.

totally agree...except...I don't do laundry on vacation!

newbies...a notebook or folder for your daily papers (fun to look at the "sales" after lyou get home), nightlight, bubble wrap for those breakables you don't plan to buy, clock, plastic bottle to take home that bon voyage liquor you didn't drink all of!

I didn't find cruisecritic until after my first cruise, still not sure if that was a good thing or not...

Just have to share..the part I do not like is being on the ship with my luggage carrey-ons and navigating watching them and getting a drink.

My favorite thing to do..and I am not a lush..but love a drink on vacation a couple times a day and as soon as I am there; to have with me while I unpack is the best thing. I got that with my dear grandma and a couple of rare twosome trips we had..and always when she was stuck with all of us...her adult family was one of 3 ...lol. She had a beautiful flask of bourbon in her carrey on to have that first drink when we got to the room and the journey was done. I would like to carrey on that tradition as simply..not with rum runners but about 2 tiny airplane sized ones in my purse at all times on vacation and I hate how the world makes something so simple not doable. I will unpack with a roomie real soon..but NOT without my 1st travel bourbon in hand or second when we get to room...or sometimes vodka tonic now that you have to navigate a bar and people and luggage. Therefore..if I ever decide to be an early arrival will aim for Faster to the Bourbon...ahhh I mean Fun...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

FTTF is a personal opinion thing. Just because you see it as a waste, doesn't mean everyone does. Obviously.

The elevators are for whoever wants to use them. There isn't a ship in the fleet that says they are only for those with mobility issues. If I wanna use the elevator, I will.

Ship's water is not always tasty.

Totally agree but some of the other stuff. Not all of it. I wonder if any newbies will see this ;)

Thanks! Still can't understand why some feel they have an exclusive "right" to the elevators. I have a disability not obvious to the naked eye, but I'd never begrudge those who don't and wish to take the elevators. I guess if I'm with my non-disabled daughter we should separate and she take stairs while I take elevator. :confused:

Thanks! Still can't understand why some feel they have an exclusive "right" to the elevators. I have a disability not obvious to the naked eye, but I'd never begrudge those who don't and wish to take the elevators. I guess if I'm with my non-disabled daughter we should separate and she take stairs while I take elevator. :confused:

I find all the consternation about my advice to take the stairs brings up so much defensive reaction from some. It is interesting to watch the tableaus unfold at elevator doors. Guys who have just played a rousing game of basketball filling the elevators to go down a floor, women who have just been on a treadmill filing towards the elevators, Dad and his energetic teenagers using the elevators after doing the ropes course, lots of unsupervised kids crowding the lobbies and rushing towards elevator doors in their rush to get from floor A to B. Guys pushing aside women with strollers, begruding space for those in wheelchairs, walkers, or mobile devices or those carrying food plates to take back to their rooms.

Of course everyone is welcome to use the elevators, they are a great invention and I don't begrudge their use to anyone (even those lazy burly sods). I for one just thinks its a nice gesture for those of us "fully capable" of negotiating 10 feet of vertical distance to add to our exercise quotient by leaving them to people who "need" the elevators for whatever reason. I'm not advocating that people be discouraged from using elevators, just advocating for people who are only negotiating one or two floors to think about the alternative. But I guess this concept is just too hard for many to process.

I find all the consternation about my advice to take the stairs brings up so much defensive reaction from some. It is interesting to watch the tableaus unfold at elevator doors. Guys who have just played a rousing game of basketball filling the elevators to go down a floor, women who have just been on a treadmill filing towards the elevators, Dad and his energetic teenagers using the elevators after doing the ropes course, lots of unsupervised kids crowding the lobbies and rushing towards elevator doors in their rush to get from floor A to B. Guys pushing aside women with strollers, begruding space for those in wheelchairs, walkers, or mobile devices or those carrying food plates to take back to their rooms.

Of course everyone is welcome to use the elevators, they are a great invention and I don't begrudge their use to anyone (even those lazy burly sods). I for one just thinks its a nice gesture for those of us "fully capable" of negotiating 10 feet of vertical distance to add to our exercise quotient by leaving them to people who "need" the elevators for whatever reason. I'm not advocating that people be discouraged from using elevators, just advocating for people who are only negotiating one or two floors to think about the alternative. But I guess this concept is just too hard for many to process.

Either you are advocating people who don't "need" the elevators to not use them or not. I mean in every post you create regarding the elevators, it's always about people who don't need them to not use them. And some reference to a dude that just finished playing basketball having the audacity to take the elevator a flight or two. Maybe he was tired from playing in the heat. What difference does it make? I think it would be a nice gesture if people in scooters didn't damn near run over my 6-year olds flip flop feet trying to beat her into the thing, but I don't rail against people using scooters!

It's not that the concept is hard to understand. People can comprehend your point. They just don't agree with it. Just like I'm sure you understand where those that don't agree with you are coming from. It's not about comprehension. It's a simple difference of opinion. According to you, no not everyone is welcome to use the elevators.

[quote name=cruizinisthebest;46550892

It's not that the concept is hard to understand. People can comprehend your point. They just don't agree with it. Just like I'm sure you understand where those that don't agree with you are coming from. It's not about comprehension. It's a simple difference of opinion. According to you' date=' no not everyone is welcome to use the elevators.[/quote]

Did I ever say that....

Guess I was taught that being courteous to our fellow man is a nice gesture...I just want people to "think", again outside of the box. If you have to use the elevator its just "nice" if you don't have to spend half your cruise waiting in elevator lobbies for one that may have room. But its like parking lots where people jog for position on the front row, begrudging spaces allocated to handicapped individuals and eventually giving into temptation and parking there so they only have to walk 25 feet instead of 30.

I don't think it is a matter of rights to use the elevators so much as learning and employing a little bit of etiquette with it. If a clearly handicapped person is waiting, they SHOULD be allowed on before those who COULD use the stairs. I have seen a person in a scooter have to wait as 2 elevators filled before they could get on. That is wrong. I've also been stuck behind 2 seriously old people (think 90+) rolling up the middle of the gangway so nobody could get by. The crowd behind them was actually kind of comical.

Anyway, I just think a ship is a fairly small place for a lot of people and we should just remember to be thoughtful and courteous. I take stairs if it's a flight or three up, unlimited down, but it's mostly because I want to fit in my dress on formal night without 20 pounds of lykra impeding my ability to breathe.

Did I ever say that....

Guess I was taught that being courteous to our fellow man is a nice gesture...I just want people to "think", again outside of the box. If you have to use the elevator its just "nice" if you don't have to spend half your cruise waiting in elevator lobbies for one that may have room. But its like parking lots where people jog for position on the front row, begrudging spaces allocated to handicapped individuals and eventually giving into temptation and parking there so they only have to walk 25 feet instead of 30.

No there is a big difference. Those parking spots are designated for the use of handicapped individuals only. Elevators are not. They are for the use of all passengers, if they were for handicapped individuals only they would be designated as such...and they are not. Yes common courtesy should followed....by everyone. But common courtesy does not mean you cannot use it if you are able bodied.

No there is a big difference. Those parking spots are designated for the use of handicapped individuals only. Elevators are not. They are for the use of all passengers, if they were for handicapped individuals only they would be designated as such...and they are not. Yes common courtesy should followed....by everyone. But common courtesy does not mean you cannot use it if you are able bodied.

Thank you. I totally agree. I have no problem being courteous. At all.

Me talking to stone wall.....

I never said DON"T use the elevators and if people want to do so let them. I am expressing "my" opinion that it would be a measure of common courtesy to, if someone's health and physical abilities allow it, to think about leaving elevators (especially for short rides) for people who have to use them.

And I find it telling that many people are only courteous (ie parking lots) when laws tell them they have to be.

I also think it is courteous to hold open doors for people that need assistance, to not bowl people over when you are running to entertainment venues, for young people to give up seats to the elderly if need be, to wait patiently in line, to follow along slowly behind slower moving people if you can't pass them safely and courteously, to move to the back of an elevator as new people board so there is room (and your own toes can be protected). Guess I'm a bit more "old fashioned" and a slave to "tradition" than I realize.

Me talking to stone wall.....

I never said DON"T use the elevators and if people want to do so let them. I am expressing "my" opinion that it would be a measure of common courtesy to, if someone's health and physical abilities allow it, to think about leaving elevators (especially for short rides) for people who have to use them.

And I find it telling that many people are only courteous (ie parking lots) when laws tell them they have to be.

I also think it is courteous to hold open doors for people that need assistance, to not bowl people over when you are running to entertainment venues, for young people to give up seats to the elderly if need be, to wait patiently in line, to follow along slowly behind slower moving people if you can't pass them safely and courteously, to move to the back of an elevator as new people board so there is room (and your own toes can be protected). Guess I'm a bit more "old fashioned" and a slave to "tradition" than I realize.

No one should say someone should use the stairs instead of the elevator. To look at me, you would think I could easily use the stairs. According to your I would not "look" courteous if I took the elevator down one floor..I had a small stroke a few years ago and unfortunately I have a few problems with balance as a result of that. if I stumble or start to fall, I know I am going to end up on the ground unless my DH catches me. Interestingly when I lose my balance on stairs, it is usually when I am going down the stairs not up them. I am a scrapbooker and my daughter jokingly says I should make one titled Mom's Vacation Accidents. Sometimes I feel bad that my husband is always looking around for dips in the sidewalk, holes, or other things that might cause me to fall and he may miss seeing some things. On the last cruise, we missed the beach part of one tour because I feel down steps and got pretty banged up.

My husband wanted to cancel our first cruise out of San Juan because he later read about a lot of pushing and shoving by locals in all kinds of lines and he was afraid I would end up falling a lot, but I convinced him to go. We did not see any pushing and shoving. In fact, we have seldom seen problems with elevators and many times people (ourselves included) hold the elevator door open and tell people on scooters to go first. After someone has done this I have never seen other people rush to get on ahead of the scooter. If a lot of people did this, it would solve that problem.

Edited by kteachcruiser52

Sorry Dutch Girl but CC is filled with those who would rather attack someone else's opinions rather then add their own . I wish people would add their own "unsolicited advice" rather then concentrate on others posts . It's your own fault though . That's what you get when you start a light-hearted thread .;)

I'll add one more piece of advice for newbies , ignore the nit pickers .

While I do not agree with everything the OP's says, I get that she was hoping her information would be helpful for newbies. However, it comes across as very negative and disparaging, although I realize she may not have intended for it to sound this way. Just my opinion.

Sail on! Cruising is a great way to travel!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I agree the elevator should be used sparingly by those who are able to navigate the stairs with ease. I have a cousin who is morbidly obese (500+ pounds). He uses his scooter, with some help from his wife. While cruising, during the day he is placed by the lido buffet, and his wife brings him a plate of food about every hour. Getting to the lido usually isn't a big deal, but leaving in the evening is. Often the elevator is full of people, and he has to wait for 5-10 minutes before one is clear for him to fit on. If more people used the stairs, he could get back to his room quicker.

...employing a little bit of etiquette with it. ...

and we should just remember to be thoughtful and courteous...

Etiquette and courteous have not become synonymous with Carnival brand cruises with such a specific focus on alcohol intake and children. Neither are etiquette or courteous motivated.

My unsolicited tip is, "don't get/be surprised by behavior of others."

Edited by eponym

Therefore..if I ever decide to be an early arrival will aim for Faster to the Bourbon...ahhh I mean Fun...Sarah
Ah, so that's what FTTB means when I see it :p;)

I wonder if you could just put a couple of plastic topped airplane bottles in your pockets? I've considered doing that with rumplemints because it would be fun to spike our hot chocolates (we like to cruise around Christmas).