So you are a newbie...well here is my unsolicited advice

Dear Carnival newbie...

Read and understand your cruise contract that comes with your ticket. Don't expect the cruise line to pay for broken luggage, lost luggage, spoilt contents.

Don't waste your money on FTTF. You are on vacation and your time becomes relative at that point. Arrive at the terminal after 1pm. Lines are usually gone, you can go directly to your room to drop off carryon, lunch is still being served. Who cares if your checked luggage doesn't show up until later. Throw a few necessities into your carry on...you don't need to even change clothes for dinner, and when your luggage arrives it takes 5 minutes to unpack.

Don't waste the effort in bringing on soda, water, wine, or smuggling booze. Unless you cruise to become inebriated a few glasses of wine or a drink or two during the day won't break the bank. Liquids on the ship are adequate, ship's water is tasty (bring along a water bottle and fill er up).

Ship excursions are expensive...check with the port forums and you can find private excursions at half the price and get some reviews to help you make your decisions.

Under pack. Woolite is your friend and remember, nobody gives a darn what you look like, nor will they notice.

Do bring sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, reading material, some cash in small bills, a credit card (don't use debit cards on shore or for your S&S card), bring a cheap camera, don't buy ship's photos, jewelry, artwork, bulk candy.

Spend the first afternoon walking the ship, especially the buffet area and lido deck. Read the signs, find out when spaces are open, check to see if there is more than one steam line and note it so you don't get caught up in the "form a line syndrome" at the door.

Use the stairs, if you can, and leave the elevators for folks who need it. If you aren't into swimming, find deck areas away from the pool for sunbathing. Bring earplugs or headphones if you aren't into noise.

Okay....back with more later.

Newbies and seasoned cruisers also need to remember that safety comes first. Therefore, if you decide you have to take a cruise for a certain port, be aware that wind conditions, wave conditions, and other natural occurring stuff may prevent the ship from docking. You may miss that port. Although you may be disappointed, you will get to enjoy another wonderful day at sea. It is not an opportunity to throw a fit and demand money. If a port is that important, book a flight and go there by plane.

Dear Carnival newbie...

Read and understand your cruise contract that comes with your ticket. Don't expect the cruise line to pay for broken luggage, lost luggage, spoilt contents.

Don't waste your money on FTTF. You are on vacation and your time becomes relative at that point. Arrive at the terminal after 1pm. Lines are usually gone, you can go directly to your room to drop off carryon, lunch is still being served. Who cares if your checked luggage doesn't show up until later. Throw a few necessities into your carry on...you don't need to even change clothes for dinner, and when your luggage arrives it takes 5 minutes to unpack.

Don't waste the effort in bringing on soda, water, wine, or smuggling booze. Unless you cruise to become inebriated a few glasses of wine or a drink or two during the day won't break the bank. Liquids on the ship are adequate, ship's water is tasty (bring along a water bottle and fill er up).

Ship excursions are expensive...check with the port forums and you can find private excursions at half the price and get some reviews to help you make your decisions.

Under pack. Woolite is your friend and remember, nobody gives a darn what you look like, nor will they notice.

Do bring sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, reading material, some cash in small bills, a credit card (don't use debit cards on shore or for your S&S card), bring a cheap camera, don't buy ship's photos, jewelry, artwork, bulk candy.

Spend the first afternoon walking the ship, especially the buffet area and lido deck. Read the signs, find out when spaces are open, check to see if there is more than one steam line and note it so you don't get caught up in the "form a line syndrome" at the door.

Use the stairs, if you can, and leave the elevators for folks who need it. If you aren't into swimming, find deck areas away from the pool for sunbathing. Bring earplugs or headphones if you aren't into noise.

Agree with most of this! However, FTTF is a personal preference. To some it is not a waste of money. Same thing with the sodas, water, wine and smuggling.

Everything else on here is fantastic. Especially about reading your cruise contract. I would also say that before our first cruise, I spent the time to read all of Carnival's FAQ on their website. While some stuff did not apply to us, it was all informative and now something I know for all our cruises.

I would also add to take any reviews with a grain of salt. Everything is subjective and what one person experiences is not always what another person experienced on the same cruise. Read up on everything that you can find about the cruise, the ports, the home port, etc. You can never have too much information.

Finally, don't sweat the small stuff and if you have a real issue on the cruise, please do not just come back here and complain without having tried to get something done about the issue on board. If you do not complain when something happens to get it resolved, then don't come here expecting sympathy. It probably won't happen.

FTTF is a personal opinion thing. Just because you see it as a waste, doesn't mean everyone does. Obviously.

The elevators are for whoever wants to use them. There isn't a ship in the fleet that says they are only for those with mobility issues. If I wanna use the elevator, I will.

Ship's water is not always tasty.

Totally agree but some of the other stuff. Not all of it. I wonder if any newbies will see this ;)

Dear new Carnival cruiser,

Enjoy your first CCL cruise and do your own homework without anyone telling you what you need to do/not do.

I am sure you will have a lovely time, a holiday is what you make it.

As always read the small print and just remember the towel animals will not come after you.

FIN.

(Half of the advice I did not do and still had a awesome time and the other half are common sense anyway)

Edited by Velvetwater

I have to agree with most things on the list - except the FTTF. We find that is worth it. Especially at a tender port when we have an independent excursion waiting. And I love getting on the ship first thing and exploring it while still relatively empty ...

And we do bring on a couple bottles of wine. Doesn't add much weight to our carryon and we have preferences for types Carnival doesn't offer. Also it's nice to have a bottle in your room for a pre-dinner drink without having to find a bar or wait for room service.

Edited by Bobblefrog

Dear Carnival newbie...

I have to disagree with this statement. I always bring bottled water because like others have said, sometimes the water on the ship is just nasty! If you don't drink much water or are not picky, then this may not be an issue for you.

I always bring wine. Each person 21 and over is allowed to bring 1 750ml bottle of wine. You have to carry it on, don't put it in your checked luggage.

I wished I found this thread when we started cruising in 2004. It could have saved me a lot of money booking shore excursions. I accidentally found CC in 2010 when we are planning our Mediterranean cruise. Learned a lot !

Thanks

Edited by CruisingFamily2005

On more than one occasion I found Carnival's excursion prices to be less money. It depends on where, what and how many. I would tell anybody to do your research.

If we did not pack some pop to bring with us I would have been disappointed.

The lemonade and ice tea are okay, but I like to have options, and bringing one case with us was less than buying them on board.

Carnival also has the excursion price match now, too. If you find the same excursion for less money, they'll match it.

And while I agree with most of this, I adamantly disagree with the bringing soda/water on board. I drink a lot of water and no matter what ship I've been on, the ships water causes me to swell. There's trace amounts of saltwater in it and for whatever reason, it doesn't do well with my water consumption. I put 24 in a suitcase for a seven day cruise and a 12 pack of soda for my DH. I can't imagine buying a drink card and paying what they charge when I can grab a 12 pack for 3.99 at the supermarket. Waste of money, IMO.

We also bring on the wine. My DH brings one and I bring one and have never paid the corkage fee. I do have a rum runner and usually bring on some rum, but end up pouring about 1/4 of it down the drain at the end of the cruise. I buy a few Kiss On The Lips and a few buckets of beer through the week.

Edited by Kristi Williamson

I can't figure out what even prompted this thread. Did the OP get up this morning and say, right, I am going to write a new thread and give those poor newbies my personal preferences for cruising and present it as absolute fact.

To start off, the comment about the water tasting fine is apparently coming from someone with no ability to taste, because I have been on 7 different ships, and the water is undrinkable to me because of taste. If it was all that was available I could get enough down to prevent death, but that would be about it.

I am so glad as a newbie, I never saw such a post as this. (I also don't like the taste of the bottled water on board either) If I had read and believed this cruisers personal opinions, I would not have had soda available in my room to drink at night and take with me to the dining room. I would be mad after having to pay as much for one can as I would a six pack.

FTTF? Really, because the op thinks it is a stupid purchase a newbie should not get it. A newbie is much more likely to be standing in line at the service desk than I am, yet that was my favorite part of the plan because it so happened we had a missing piece of luggage that was not found until Wed. (A man had thrown it in the closet thinking it was part of their luggage and nobody realized it until wed when they turned it in)

I know the op is well meaning, but honestly.

I do agree about arriving later however because I hate to sit around and wait. Not exciting to me at all and if you arrive late with FTTF, there will be no waiting at all. They meet you at the door and practically walk you straight on to the ship after one short stop to swipe your passport and take a picture.

I would also like to add, the last thing I am going to be doing on vacation is laundry.

Edited by loxley

Dear Carnival newbie...

Don't waste your money on FTTF. You are on vacation and your time becomes relative at that point. Arrive at the terminal after 1pm. Lines are usually gone, you can go directly to your room to drop off carryon, lunch is still being served. Who cares if your checked luggage doesn't show up until later. Throw a few necessities into your carry on...you don't need to even change clothes for dinner, and when your luggage arrives it takes 5 minutes to unpack. While I agree with this, it is personal choice. For some who are impatient or have little kids this could be worth it to you.

Don't waste the effort in bringing on soda, water, wine, or smuggling booze. Unless you cruise to become inebriated a few glasses of wine or a drink or two during the day won't break the bank. Liquids on the ship are adequate, ship's water is tasty (bring along a water bottle and fill er up).I disagree with the soda and wine. We bring 2 1 liter bottles of pop and our allotted 2 bottles of champagne in a rolling carry on. It's nice to have something in the room available if you just need a quick drink and the 2 bottles of champagne are great for some mimosas in the morning or a drink to take to the evening show.

Ship excursions are expensive...check with the port forums and you can find private excursions at half the price and get some reviews to help you make your decisions.Sometimes the ships excursions are the only ones to offer what you are looking for or you may be going to an island like Jamaica where it is safer to be on a ships excursion. Just do your research.

Under pack. Woolite is your friend and remember, nobody gives a darn what you look like, nor will they notice.Yeah...I don't wash clothes on a cruise. Pack what you want just make sure you know your airline restrictions.

Do bring sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, reading material, some cash in small bills, a credit card (don't use debit cards on shore or for your S&S card), bring a cheap camera, don't buy ship's photos, jewelry, artwork, bulk candy.I have yet to wear a hat anywhere.

Use the stairs, if you can, and leave the elevators for folks who need it. If you aren't into swimming, find deck areas away from the pool for sunbathing. Bring earplugs or headphones if you aren't into noise.We use the stairs if we only have a floor or 2 to travel of our own choice. Anyone has the right to use the elevators. Just use common sense and courtesy when you do.

I may be back too depending on the advice.....:D

Edited by Warm Breezes

Agree on all accounts except the beverages.

I am planning a cruise right now and unless the steward is going to bring me a pitcher of water every night before I go to bed than I will need bottled water for my husband and daughter.

I will bring the small size waters that I get at Publix or Walmart. It is about 2$ and is light weight. They are about 4 or 5 oz. each.

Oh and we will also bring some energy drinks as we like to use them as mixers when we drink a flavored vodka or Jagermeister. And my hubby always has a Red Bull on the ride to Miami from Orlando. The prices for Red Bull are a little high on the ship. And a 4 pack takes up hardly any room at all.

And one bottle of bubbly!

I can't figure out what even prompted this thread. Did the OP get up this morning and say, right, I am going to write a new thread and give those poor newbies my personal preferences for cruising and present it as absolute fact.

I don't think the OP intended this to be genuine advice for newbies. I do think she is getting the real intended result - to start a debate between frequent cruisers against her own personal feelings by stating them as fact.

The best advice for a newbie is to go and have fun and figure things out for yourself. You learn as you go along. If they have questions, they can just ask.

The best advice for a newbie is to go and have fun and figure things out for yourself. You learn as you go along. If they have questions, they can just ask.

Yes, there is no shortcut to knowledge and what works for one person, could be irrelevant to the next.

Hopefully, most newbies will start doing research in enough time gather info from various sources.