Are passports really necessary for a closed loop cruise?

gracey49

I am planning a 3 night DCL cruise with larger family in April 2016. My daughter's family doesn't have passports because they are usually campers and don't really like to fly. It seems like an unnecessary expense to get 4 passports, when they most likely won't be used again before they expire. The government regulations don't require passports because it is a closed loop cruise.

Has anyone done the short cruise recently without a passport? I know about the driver's license and birth certificates being necessary and they were all born in the U.S.

Any problems boarding the ship? We don't plan on getting off the ship in Nassau, but will get off at CC. Any problems at debarkation in Port Canaveral?

Tara is totally correct. However a possible problem is that if you have to get off the vessel of medical or need to fly home fast for an emergency, in this case only Nassau/CC you have to go to the US Embassy and get a passport. That can take a day or two.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

They're not necessary. We did a 7 day Fantasy Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral in 2013 without passports.

They are not strictly necessary, but I wouldn't leave w/o it. If, in the off chance you need to make your way to the States through different means, you are going to have a hell of a time w/ passport.

Also, port staff, at least at PC, will ask for your passport in the longer routes. We saw people next to us not allowed on board because none of their kids had passports, only birth certificates (granted, they might have ultimately be allowed on board, just not at that moment while we were on the counter).

Honestly, my rule is never leave the US without a passport. In the case of a closed loop cruise, I would look at it as additional travel insurance.

The odds are you probably won't need it. But in the event of a medical emergency when outside US waters, the ship will get you to the closest port, and not having one can delay getting home.

Think of it as an addon to trip insurance good for 10 years.

People cruise without passports out of Florida every day; others won't take a ferry ride without one. You are a responsible adult; as long as you make your decision knowing the risks (stated above) and are comfortable with it then I won't presume to lecture you on which is the best choice for your family.

My thought is with such a short cruise, there wouldn't be any problem at home that would need us home faster than just finishing the cruise. The only possible issue would be if one of the four without passports would have a serious injury. Since they are all healthy, I doubt a health problem. And there are four other adults in my family group with passports who could travel off the ship as a companion with no problem.

I am wondering if anyone had issues with boarding or needling passport in an emergency situation. I realize times and rules change so I have decided to make the final call 4 months before the cruise when there would still be time to get a passport if needed.

Not necessary, but even healthy people have accidents.

I think it is prudent to have one to cover your bases.

But ultimately, the value you put on that peace of mind vs. the cost of the passports is a decision only you can make.

ex techie

not needed

and you can get off the ship in Nassau and CC ....... (18 and up only needs a photo ID and the 'ship card' to get back on)

BUT, be sure the BC is a government issued BC and not something from the hospital. Government issued ones used to have a raised seal but no always today due to computer printing. If in doubt get NEW BC's ... they don't cost anything near what a passport does.

The recommendations to get the passport are well intended and not wrong. But for someone who does not plan to need them again, I certainly recognize the expense. For a 3 night cruise the 'emergency travel' issue is very very remote. (A medivac from CC or the ship would almost certainly be done by USCG helo and conditions permitting <space in the helo> a family member would be allowed to travel with the victim, passport or not . . . not a promise, just my experience)

Edited by Capt_BJ

I am wondering if anyone had issues with boarding or needling passport in an emergency situation. I realize times and rules change so I have decided to make the final call 4 months before the cruise when there would still be time to get a passport if needed.

Necessary--no. Recomended, yes.

There is NO problem boarding the ship without a passport. Yes, there are plenty of reports on the boards of people who got caught either missing the ship after an "on their own" day in port or a medical emergency and didn't have them. If you don't have a passport and don't return on the ship, you are required to obtain an emergency passport from the nearest US embassy or consulate--just another hoop to jump thru at an already stressful time.

I am planning a 3 night DCL cruise with larger family in April 2016. My daughter's family doesn't have passports because they are usually campers and don't really like to fly. It seems like an unnecessary expense to get 4 passports, when they most likely won't be used again before they expire. The government regulations don't require passports because it is a closed loop cruise.

Has anyone done the short cruise recently without a passport? I know about the driver's license and birth certificates being necessary and they were all born in the U.S.

Any problems boarding the ship? We don't plan on getting off the ship in Nassau, but will get off at CC. Any problems at debarkation in Port Canaveral?

We don't have them, have no plans on getting them unless they are required.

I was more scared traveling without our credit card, than without a passport, and only because I have a kid. We had no credit our first few cruises because we were young. (we had our card, but while we were on the ship, the number was used in baton rouge, I found out when i turned on my phone in key west).

Thanks everyone, all very good input. Getting passports for a family of two adult and two kids would cost $480 which is way more than trip insurance and is even less likely to be used and unlikely to be needed again.

I feel like we can control some of the possible risks. We won't miss the ship in Nassau since it is their first cruise and there is so much to do on board, why leave the ship. We will get off at CC, but it should be easy to get back to the ship on time. :) And then we will be back in the USA.

So, if we can get on the ship; and then off in case of a medical emergency.... That should be good. But I will check the travel.gov website as we get closer for any changes to the rules.

A cheaper option than the Passport would be passport cards - though they are far more limited in their use. Something people that go camping may even use again if they drive to Canada or Mexico for their vacation.

A passport card will do you no good if you are delayed or must return to the US from a ship using an alternate means. As you noted, they are good for Mexican/Canadian border crossings only and an individual would still have to obtain an emergency passport if they depart on a closed loop cruise but do not return the same way.

The ONLY thing it will accomplish is that it makes getting the emergency passport easier.

If you said you were getting off the ship in Nassau, I would say get them because Nassau can be.... interesting as far as boats from excursions getting back, etc. The possibility of missing the boat is probably rare but the possibility is there. If you are going just to hit CC, then I think you can take the risk. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of gal, so we had them. BUT we also plan on taking trips more often, so we'll use them.