Full ship

Tights

If you do a test booking on the HAL site, or one of the online booking agencies, and the ship shows no available cabins, it is sold out. If cabins are available, then it is not.

It is much more difficult to determine exactly how many cabins are truly available. There are several variables that can cloud the view of exactly how many cabins, like if GTY booking haven't been assigned yet.

Edited by CruiserBruce

IMHO it is likely that if a sailing is selling out early there may be staterooms held back for higher fares closer to sailing. Also cabins get released after final payment date. Cabins may be held back for emergencies on board that require a move.

Test bookings can give you a good idea of a busy cruise but at the end of the day only HAL knows if a ship is sold out. I worked for a major international airline many years ago in yield management. We pulled seats from inventory frequently as we know they would sell for a higher price later- especially First Class seats.

I never bother to check before we get on a ship to see if our cruises are sold out.

But once we get on, I either ask the concierges or wait until we get our log at the end of the cruise to see how many passengers were on the ship.

Our last several cruises were not sold out.