Getting the most out of a mini cruise

Jo and Rob

We shall be boarding Ventura soon on a four night mini cruise to Belgium and Guernsey. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about getting the most out of a mini cruise.

Are there certain aspects of a cruise that you must do despite limited time?

Or would you be more inclined to relax on board and recharge your batteries? What do you think is missing (apart from days obviously!) with shorter cruises.

We haven't sailed Ventura before and will be sailing with our children who are 13 and 10. I would welcome general comments about mini cruises or more specific information about Ventura. :)

Never been on a mini cruise but we have been on Ventura once a few years ago. Nearly identical to Golden, Sapphire, Emerald, Grand Princess so it will seem familiar to you. The indoor pool is good.

Looking forward to your review/views as we are on her next January for 28 days Southampton to Caribbean round trip. We have a Lido deck balcony so would be interested on your views re this area of cabins.

Think White Room is already renamed Epicurean, will you be doing this restaurant again?

Hope you have a great mini cruise! Hopefully you will have good weather and manage to get into Guernsey which is lovely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

On a two night cruise I made sure I did everything I normally enjoy on a longer one and thoroughly explored the ship.

I did make a note of all the recommendations about the ship which I read about or heard about and which appealed to me and made an effort to see/visit/explore/sit in/drink at those.Do your homework about Ventura - I'm sure you will find plenty of advice about her on here.

Our two nights were obviously a bit more rushed, but our ship was smaller, but even so we felt we got the most out of every moment and did not really miss out on anything for a short break.

We had one stop at Zeebrugge, but had been to Bruges several times before so we had a short visit to nearby Blankenberge and then came back to the ship for a nice lunch before enjoying the facilities in the afternoon. Our choice was the cinema before cocktails and then the sailaway party. It was December and nice and festive.

If you haven't been to Guernsey and if you are able to go ashore, I would be putting that as a definite as you may not go that way again.

All in all, I think you will find the 4 nights very enjoyable.

Edited by Scriv

We shall be boarding Ventura soon on a four night mini cruise to Belgium and Guernsey. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about getting the most out of a mini cruise.

Or would you be more inclined to relax on board and recharge your batteries? What do you think is missing (apart from days obviously!) with shorter cruises.

We haven't sailed Ventura before and will be sailing with our children who are 13 and 10. I would welcome general comments about mini cruises or more specific information about Ventura. :)

Hi, am on this cruise too with same aged children plus am originally from Suffolk so 'spooky' lol.

First time on P&O and hoping my girls can enrol in the appropriate kids clubs as we took a tour onboard 2 years ago and they loved the idea of a club.

Hoping we can tender into Guernsey, buses very cheap there and can do a round the island on normal bus for £1 each (bus 91/92).

Andy & Jane

Ventura is almost identical to Azura if you have been on that. It has a covered pool though, unlike Azura. Nice to sit there with the sun coming through the glass roof. Very much enjoyed the Glass House, always seemed empty in mid/late evening for some reason.

My only 4 night cruise was on Oriana and I thoroughly enjoyed it, think it doesn't seem so rushed if you have a day at sea which I think you will. I think I would find 2 nights much too short!

Have a great time :)

I have done around 6 mini cruises now and they are most definitely not as relaxing as a long cruise obviously because of the lack of days to do things in. We used to tend to cram as much in as possible but now will be looking to relax as we have been to Bruges and Guernsey many times.

Feel free to read my review, my first cruise was on Ventura. She's a brilliant ship and very easy to get around.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=502742&et_cid=2091656&et_rid=150646013&et_referrer=Boards&sr=2&sd=1

I'd also like to hear about doing mini cruises as I may do them myself in the future. Four nighter minimum as I'm a good 5 hour drive from Southampton, so two nights are too short.

Edited by Wiz201

Feel free to read my review, my first cruise was on Ventura. She's a brilliant ship and very easy to get around.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=502742&et_cid=2091656&et_rid=150646013&et_referrer=Boards&sr=2&sd=1

I'd also like to hear about doing mini cruises as I may do them myself in the future. Four nighter minimum as I'm a good 5 hour drive from Southampton, so two nights are too short.

Thanks for the review, enjoyed Ventura in 2013 and looking forward to Azura in 2 weeks time! With a four day cruise you normally get a sea day and I think that helps :) I'm looking at a 5 nighter Oct 2016 has a day and a half in Amsterdam as well as a sea day and a call at Le Harve so another half sea day to enjoy the ship .

We really enjoyed Azura so have high hopes for Ventura. I am looking forward to the indoor pool as I think that will be a hit with Oliver and Emily. Does Ventura have a grab and go?

Thank you for the review Wiz201, good and positive especially the food which was also consistently good on Britannia last month so we shouldn't be disappointed.

Apeeler you should join our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2132845

We will be heading to Ghent as we have previously done Bruges and may well visit inside Castle Cornet this time we are in Guernsey.

One thing to remember on a short cruise is that the prices in the speciality restaurants are significantly higher than on a longer cruise.

Menus and prices can be seen here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/cover_charges

If you are going to Ghent a visit to the cathedral to see the Ghent altarpiece "The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb" is worthwhile. It's a huge incredibly realistic painting by Van Eyck painted in 1432.

http://www.visitgent.be/en/adoration-mystic-lamb-0?context=tourist

All the ships are converting to the grab and go which is a downgrade in my opinion. Ventura may still have the existing pizza/burger bar by the swimming pools which is far superior to the grab and go.

Brian

One thing to remember on a short cruise is that the prices in the speciality restaurants are significantly higher than on a longer cruise.

Menus and prices can be seen here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/cover_charges

If you are going to Ghent a visit to the cathedral to see the Ghent altarpiece "The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb" is worthwhile. It's a huge incredibly realistic painting by Van Eyck painted in 1432.

http://www.visitgent.be/en/adoration-mystic-lamb-0?context=tourist

All the ships are converting to the grab and go which is a downgrade in my opinion. Ventura may still have the existing pizza/burger bar by the swimming pools which is far superior to the grab and go.

Brian

Grab and Go on Britannia was in addition to the pizza and burger option not instead. We won't be bothering with specialty restaurants as we are only on for four nights. I wonder if spa prices are also more expensive. :confused:

I hope they still do a spa raffle. I have won several (including on Britannia) so always go along!

Grab and Go on Britannia was in addition to the pizza and burger option not instead.

I can only speak from my experience on Aurora. You used to be able to get freshly cooked to order (albeit with a 5-10min wait) burgers, pizzas, fish & chips etc. Now everything seems to be immediately available but wrapped in paper bags and kept warm so you dont know how long it has been there and there is no fish and chips or salmon goujons. Now the sandwiches are wrapped ready to go whereas previously there was a sandwich bar where they were made to order giving you a choice on type of bread and filling. Did not look very appetising. Definitely a downgrade from what existed before the refit.

Brian

I can only speak from my experience on Aurora. You used to be able to get freshly cooked to order (albeit with a 5-10min wait) burgers, pizzas, fish & chips etc. Now everything seems to be immediately available but wrapped in paper bags and kept warm so you dont know how long it has been there and there is no fish and chips or salmon goujons. Now the sandwiches are wrapped ready to go whereas previously there was a sandwich bar where they were made to order giving you a choice on type of bread and filling. Did not look very appetising. Definitely a downgrade from what existed before the refit.

Brian

Thats a shame as I have read good reports of the grab and go on Britannia.

We did this cruise a couple of years ago - same ship. Our first.

TBH having done more since it's not actually any different to a longer cruise, except .. it's shorter :) .. but what you do or don't do is really up to your own personal preferences. No hen party issues or similar as happens on some shorter cruises.

What's missing ... compared to 7 days, basically nothing. Some things you need to book - the Spa for example - you might need to be quicker off the mark as there's the same number of cruisers but less time.

Never used the childrens facilities (ours are older) but have been on Ventura twice and Azura once, all in school holidays, and seen very few children about in the day time, which corresponds with the views of other parents that they keep them entertained very effectively. Had a cricket net on the top deck and a dozen teenagers appeared for it, they were the only ones we saw outside dinner and the shows pretty much.

Ventura itself I think is terrific.

Bruges is lovely but you have to get there (the coach takes you to the station OTOMH), Guernsey is a tender, and we just pottered around on foot. Great cruise, they'll love it.

Only a week to go and really looking forward to experiencing Ventura. Very positive comments which is good. We loved the atrium on Princess, Oceana and Azura so we look forward to that aspect on Ventura too.

Hi all

This cruise is now sold out in all categories so we have a full ship. I was thinking it was just us few as not many on the Roll call ha ha. More the merrier and should be good. Weather hopefully improving ready for us all.

Hi all

This cruise is now sold out in all categories so we have a full ship. I was thinking it was just us few as not many on the Roll call ha ha. More the merrier and should be good. Weather hopefully improving ready for us all.

How exciting!! The 9-12 year old club was full quite some time ago and with this being a half term cruise I imagine there will be lots of children and teachers on board.

I did a 2-nighter on Oriana last year at Easter Jo and really went for it! After quaffing my sailaway Champers, I went to the Cinema and watched Philomena. Back to the cabin to change and then to an early show in the theatre before going in to dinner. Then watched a late show in the Pacific Lounge followed by some late-night jazz in the Crows Nest.

Next day a tour to the Flanders battlefields & Ypres. Back to the ship, pre-dinner drink, gala dinner and then to the theatre, followed by more late-night music up in the Crows Nest. Good job it was Easter and I had a couple of days to relax afterwards :). I did find it quite invigorating though.

I did a 2-nighter on Oriana last year at Easter Jo and really went for it! After quaffing my sailaway Champers, I went to the Cinema and watched Philomena. Back to the cabin to change and then to an early show in the theatre before going in to dinner. Then watched a late show in the Pacific Lounge followed by some late-night jazz in the Crows Nest.

Next day a tour to the Flanders battlefields & Ypres. Back to the ship, pre-dinner drink, gala dinner and then to the theatre, followed by more late-night music up in the Crows Nest. Good job it was Easter and I had a couple of days to relax afterwards :). I did find it quite invigorating though.

Wow that it impressive! Funny how you need a holiday to get over the holiday!!