Critique My Packing List

navybaby1113

I'm from Florida, so Alaska weather is a whole different ballgame for me. I'm trying to plan out what to pack and I'm having a hard time. Here's what I have so far. Please let me know if I'm way off base with anything.

For dinner each night, I plan on wearing some kind of dress and sandals with a pashmina.

On the ship most days, I will probably be wearing yoga pants with a long sleeve tee.

We're going on the Tracy Arm Fjord small boat excursion. For that I planned jeans, a long sleeve shirt, hooded sweatshirt, hat, gloves, and a pair of Toms (closed toe canvas shoes).

In Skagway, we're going on a driving tour up to the Yukon territory. I planned jeans, a short sleeve shirt, fleece zip-up jacket, and hiking boots.

In Juneau we're going whale watching with Harv and Marv. I was thinking jeans, long sleeve shirt, hooded sweatshirt, and hiking boots.

In Ketchikan we're going hiking. I was thinking tan hiking pants, long sleeve shirt, a baseball hat, and hiking boots.

Thoughts? Anything that I'm under/over-clothed on?

Temps will be in the 50's and 60's.....it may feel warmer when you are not on the coast, but coastal temps are a bit more humid so it will feel cooler. I hardly ever wear sandals in Alaska....even when I am on a ship. If it rains, it will feel cold..Alaskan rain is cold. I would bring another sweater and leave the sanders at home....

What kind of shoes do you wear with dresses? I don't feel comfortable with heels on a ship (I've totally busted my butt in them before) and I'm not sure I have anything else to wear with dresses. Guess I need to go shoe shopping! I own like 3 pairs of closed toe shoes. :-/

I'm from Florida, so Alaska weather is a whole different ballgame for me. I'm trying to plan out what to pack and I'm having a hard time. Here's what I have so far. Please let me know if I'm way off base with anything.

For dinner each night, I plan on wearing some kind of dress and sandals with a pashmina.

On the ship most days, I will probably be wearing yoga pants with a long sleeve tee.

We're going on the Tracy Arm Fjord small boat excursion. For that I planned jeans, a long sleeve shirt, hooded sweatshirt, hat, gloves, and a pair of Toms (closed toe canvas shoes).

In Skagway, we're going on a driving tour up to the Yukon territory. I planned jeans, a short sleeve shirt, fleece zip-up jacket, and hiking boots.

In Juneau we're going whale watching with Harv and Marv. I was thinking jeans, long sleeve shirt, hooded sweatshirt, and hiking boots.

In Ketchikan we're going hiking. I was thinking tan hiking pants, long sleeve shirt, a baseball hat, and hiking boots.

Thoughts? Anything that I'm under/over-clothed on?

Hi. We are cruising in late August, and have been online the past couple days looking at suggestions from CC members regarding what to bring.

The biggest missing item on your list is a waterproof jacket! You can get anything from a cheap poncho to a high end jacket. You should definitely bring something in case of rain. Other suggestions said to wait til you get to Alaska, especially if you are northbound, and buy something when you get there. Have a great time!

Hi. We are cruising in late August, and have been online the past couple days looking at suggestions from CC members regarding what to bring.

The biggest missing item on your list is a waterproof jacket! You can get anything from a cheap poncho to a high end jacket. You should definitely bring something in case of rain. Other suggestions said to wait til you get to Alaska, especially if you are northbound, and buy something when you get there. Have a great time!

Sorry, I do have a rain jacket on my list! Forgot to post it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I am from Florida too and have been to Alaska before and will be going back this July. You will be fine with your sandals at dinner and yoga pants etc while on the ship. I highly recommend closed toe shoes like your hiking boots while on excursions. Not sure that your Toms are a good choice. I bring waterproof hiking boots and running shoes. Jeans are fine and the key is to layer. Have a great trip!'n

You don't need hiking boots for whale watching. Also, depending on what "hiking" you are doing in Ketchikan, you may or may not actually need the boots there. You might be able to get away with sneakers or walking shoes of some sort. Toms are probably too lightweight for the Tracy Arm Explorer. It is COLD near the glaciers, so if you are prone to cold feet, Toms won't be much help. Wool socks are a good idea.

I do sometimes wear sandals to dinner, but usually low heels, just 1 - 2". I've seen some women stumbling around in 4" heels and I agree they aren't a good idea. Flats or low heels are better. I tend to mix and match separates for dinners - one nice pair of slacks and 1-2 skirts with nice blouses. Takes up less space than multiple dresses. If you do take dresses, try to wear them multiple times rather than a different one for each night, just with different accessories.

You might want to layer a bit more, with a tank or short sleeve shirt under your long sleeve shirts. This will keep your core warmer if it's cold, and give you the option of taking off the long sleeve layer if it's warm.

Okay, I'll take Toms off my list. The only reason I was wearing my hiking boots for whale watching was so that I didn't have to bring sneakers. The only sneakers I own are for running and I don't wear them for anything else because they're so expensive.

I'll make sure to add a few short sleeve shirts and tanks to my suitcase just in case!

We leave for our first Alaskan Cruise and Land Tour (after cruise) on the 30th. I was planning to pack just about the same as you. Sandals with dresses, skirts, slacks. Jeans, long sleeve and short sleeve shirts. Rain coat, zip out fleece. Hiking boots (yes we are hiking and ATVing, horseback riding etc), and slip on sneakers.

My main question is the hubby. I am easy to dress for dinner. Him, not so much. I was planning on just a button down with tie and dress pants for formal nights, he does not own a suit or suit jacket. Jeans and nice shirts for other nights.

Will that be ok? We are on the Star Princess if that matters.

Edited by Sheaboys

When we went to Alaska, one thing that I noticed is that everywhere is wet, especially on the small boat tours. I wore some water resistant pants (light ski pants) and was dry wherever I sat. Im not sure about the jeans you have, but my jeans are pretty miserable when wet. Maybe some synthetic pants may be better for you?

Either way, good luck!

Instead of your sandals, because you will feel cold, and since you mentioned Toms, have you tried their ballet flats? I absolutely adore mine. I have some ribbons and some leathers. They look great with dresses.

I'm in Indy. I do not plan on bringing sandals. This thread and some pictures of others made me realize that I need to get our gloves out of winter storage.

Instead of your sandals, because you will feel cold, and since you mentioned Toms, have you tried their ballet flats? I absolutely adore mine. I have some ribbons and some leathers. They look great with dresses.

I'm in Indy. I do not plan on bringing sandals. This thread and some pictures of others made me realize that I need to get our gloves out of winter storage.

I haven't tried their flats, but now would be a good excuse to buy a pair! Thanks for the idea!

What kind of shoes do you wear with dresses? I don't feel comfortable with heels on a ship (I've totally busted my butt in them before) and I'm not sure I have anything else to wear with dresses. Guess I need to go shoe shopping! I own like 3 pairs of closed toe shoes. :-/

Low healed pumps

I'm packing right now, here in Florida for Alaska on Monday. :) My list is very similar, even down to the blingy sandals for dinner, (it is warm inside the ship and embellished sandals are so light/easy to pack). I did invest in a couple of pairs of Darn Tough Vermont Merino wool high knee socks for especially cold days. Paired with waterproof Merrell hikers should keep me warm on Harv and Marv and the glacier days at sea. Also got a peruvian style wool hat with a waterproof lining. And leather gloves.

I'm packing right now, here in Florida for Alaska on Monday. :) My list is very similar, even down to the blingy sandals for dinner, (it is warm inside the ship and embellished sandals are so light/easy to pack). I did invest in a couple of pairs of Darn Tough Vermont Merino wool high knee socks for especially cold days. Paired with waterproof Merrell hikers should keep me warm on Harv and Marv and the glacier days at sea. Also got a peruvian style wool hat with a waterproof lining. And leather gloves.

I'll have to check out those socks!

Maybe you have an old pair of sneakers you can bring along with your hiking boots. I would waterproof them with the spray. I'm from a hot place too, I'm bringing a couple of tights/leggings so I'm not cold through my jeans and maybe won't feel as wet!

If you have a costco they have inexpensive wool socks for men and women.

Does your husband have dockers/khackis he can wear at night for dinner?

We go in June for the first time.

What would you suggest wearing in Tracy Arm? I would like to stay outside the majority of the time.

Both my wife and I had on a number of layers. Make sure that the outermost layer is wind proof and that will help a lot. I think we had on a couple of wool base layers, a light shirt, a fleece and then something that was wind proof. You will be on deck for about 3 hours and the temps on the water are close to 40 degrees, plus there is a nice wind.

Frogg Toggs rain suits are pretty inexpensive. You could probably just find the pants on eBay. I found a used military surplus heavy weight fleece jacket liner for $20. They are made by one of the big name manufactures. They are REALLY warm. I also have some low top Keens waterproof hikers. They are really awesome shoes.

Dont forget a waterproof coat! And lots of layers- it gets cold on deck! Im from fl too- packed leggings for underjeans to help a raincoat in a bigger size and a few sweaters (because of course the few i own are thin). Oh and gloves for on the deck in the morning when its cooler