British Isles Question

bassmaster150

We thought the boat right on Loch Ness was absolutely gorgeous -- it was a calm day with a bright blue sky and the the trees reflected in the water like a mirror. Breathtaking.

Did you see the Lock Ness Monster?? :):):)

We are, it's our first Princess cruise and I can't wait. We've done the fjords twice before but not as far north :)

This is our 4th Princess cruise as we are really starting to like the cruise line alot. Looking forward to the breathtaking scenery that we will sail through...we have never been this far north as well.....finding it difficult to pack the right clothes so that we are not too hot or too cold.

Hi There

Packing is not hard, take lots of light layers, something warm, something that can block the wind, then something for rain.

Last time I did Norway I wore a t shirt every day, my Florida friends were wrapped for a polar expedition, depends on what you are used to.

yours Shogun

What an odd thing to say! and what the heck visiting a place on a cruise has to do with Independence I don't know.

You clearly have strong views.

Do not confuse a comment on a local sense of identity with a political comment.

I was simply offering the OP advice on not inadvertently offending SOME members of the local population.

Hi simok99

Nice to hear from you, hope you don't think we do not love Liverpool,

its just that if its Orkney or Liverpool

Orkney has better fudge.:)

Hi All Some places to visit

http://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/orkney/about/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/scotland/highlands-and-northern-islands/orkney-islands

yours Shogun

232323232%7Ffp53258%3Enu%3D3239%3E%3B7%3A%3E47%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D354344%3B8%3A%3B327nu0mrj232323232%7Ffp5326%3B%3Enu%3D3239%3E%3B7%3A%3E47%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D354344%3B886327nu0mrj

We have done this cruise three times. (I think you can tell we liked it) Twice with Orkney and once with Liverpool. Orkney was our favorite by far.

I have to agree with this post and the others about Orkney. It was never on my Top Places to Visit List. In fact, I had never heard of it. I had wanted to go to Liverpool because it's closer to my family in Chester, but the date for that itinerary was inconvenient.

All I can say about Kirkwall & Orkney Island is WOW. What an impressive, historic, wild, beautiful place! I was so impressed with the Stones of Stenness and Skara Brae which is much, much older than Stonehenge. It's barren, wild, open beaches were breathtaking. It's definitely worth a visit IMO.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Hi driveslikemario

Many folks were like you searching to find out where Kirkwall was, what to do on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere,

I think its safe to say anyone all who has been has been totally surprised by what they found,

They must be spreading the word, as number of cruise ship visits are increasing ever year so much so that pier was extended last year.

yours Shogun

Shogun - I agree with you and the others. I'm so glad I got to experience it!

There's a PBS murder mystery series that just started here in the States called, "Scotland" that takes place in the Shetland Islands. Really enjoying it because the topography and remoteness is reminding me of Kirkwall! I'm finding I miss that area! :)

Another vote for Kirkwall!

In addition to the archeological sites -- which were more interesting than I had ever imagined -- the Italian Chapel was one of my favorites. It was built by Italian POWs during WW2 and visiting it is a moving experience.

We loved the local toffee ice cream. Delicious! We had two servings each because it's not as if we visit Kirkwall every day!

If you or anyone you know loves to knit, there are several stores in Kirkwall that stock North Ronaldsay Island wool from very hardy sheep that eat seaweed.

Beautiful crafts and jewelry with Celtic/Viking/Scottish designs-- not the usual tourist stuff. I ended up buying a Sheila Fleet "Tidal Treasure" pendant necklace. Not something that I planned to do but our day in the Orkneys was so enjoyable, such a surprise (and I had done a lot of research)!

St. Magnus Church is amazing, better than in photos.

As another poster noted, you can go to Liverpool by land one of these days, but getting to the Orkneys is more complicated. And so worth it.

Finally, my Mom took the Tea in Balfour Castle tour. You take a ferry to the island where the castle is located and walk around the gardens. She loved it, as did her fellow passengers (we were on the Cunard Queen Victoria). She had time to walk around Kirkwall after the tour.

There's an article on the Orkney archeological sites in the March 2015 edition of National Geographic. Beautiful pictures.

Good luck making a decision, and have a fantastic trip.

OP - We're booked on a British Isles cruise on Celebrity Silhouette on Aug. 6, 2016 that will go to Liverpool and Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland. And . . . what makes this cruise even more amazing is that we'll be spending 2 days in Edinburgh so we can attend the Military Tattoo!! You might want to check out our itinerary since it has many great ports (incl. Northern Ireland, Ireland, St. Peter Port, Guernsey and Bruges, Belgium) and starts and ends in Amsterdam. Our roll call already has over 100 people and the cruise is still 14 months away!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Hi All

Royal Princess passengers are away Nessie hunting today,

think some one should tell them the more whiskey they drink the better the chance of seeing Nessie,

Web cam showing good pics of Ivergordon harbour

yours Shogun

Shogun - I agree with you and the others. I'm so glad I got to experience it!

There's a PBS murder mystery series that just started here in the States called, "Scotland" that takes place in the Shetland Islands. Really enjoying it because the topography and remoteness is reminding me of Kirkwall! I'm finding I miss that area! :)

Meant to say the show is called "Shetland".

Meant to say the show is called "Shetland".

I looks like there are only 3 episodes; I hope more will be coming out later. We were in Shetland last fall on the Ruby ta, and we saw the little cafe we had stopped at on the show.

How do the ruins in Orkney compare with the ruins in Shetland? We were fascinated with Jarlshof, and we're looking forward to visiting Orkney on the Royal ta this fall.

I looks like there are only 3 episodes; I hope more will be coming out later. We were in Shetland last fall on the Ruby ta, and we saw the little cafe we had stopped at on the show.

How do the ruins in Orkney compare with the ruins in Shetland? We were fascinated with Jarlshof, and we're looking forward to visiting Orkney on the Royal ta this fall.

The second series has just finished and the BBC have agreed to commission a third...!

Liverpool without a doubt. You'll see enough scenery, heather, mountains and glens on a trip to Loch Ness (vastly overrated tourist trap)

Far more to see & do in Liverpool.

Orkney is hugely different to Loch Ness. One thing I would never call it though, is a tourist trap. It is beautiful. :cool:

Hi Orkney is world famous for its ancient history, Shetland is known for its Viking history

Yours Shogun

Thanks! I'm glad we're getting to see both places. We loved Shetland, and we're looking forward to visiting Orkney.

Hi All

Royal Princess passengers are away Nessie hunting today,

think some one should tell them the more whiskey they drink the better the chance of seeing Nessie,

Web cam showing good pics of Ivergordon harbour

yours Shogun

Agreed :D

People on this cruise should also remember - you don't have to go south to Inverness from Invergordon, you can always go north where there are many beautiful towns, villages and beaches - there is also the Anta workshop near Tain and Tain Pottery, along with Dornoch which is further north and has cute coffee shops and a Cathedral.

Agreed :D

People on this cruise should also remember - you don't have to go south to Inverness from Invergordon, you can always go north where there are many beautiful towns, villages and beaches - there is also the Anta workshop near Tain and Tain Pottery, along with Dornoch which is further north and has cute coffee shops and a Cathedral.

Thanks, we'll look into these towns.