input from fellow cruisers.....

bindy1

I have been looking at bookings for our annual mother-daughter fall break cruise. in October.

I am seeing interior cabin rates the same price as our balcony cabin rates from previous years. Is anyone else noticing these increases? I have been looking since after Christmas and haven't seen any price drops. For those of you already booked for cruises in October 2015, have you seen any price drops?

My other issue are airplane fares. I am not having any luck with our usual Southwest. The flights we got last year are not even offered from SW to FLL. It's looking like we will be driving 3 hours to Atlanta to give us more flight options.

Anyone else experiencing any of these issues? OR is just us since we are limited to Oct 10th thru the 18th? We have opted to cruise the last couple of years during Fall break because the cost for the 2 of us was cheaper than renting a condo at the beach for a week plus the cost of meals. It is looking like we may have to abandon the cruise this year due to increased costs. :(:(:(:(

I'm on a cruise out of Galveston on Oct 4 and the current price for a 1a interior is 339.00 each. Probably the cheapest I've ever some across.

Florida usually has significantly cheaper prices than we get in Texas.

Have you tried Spirit airlines. Southwest is not really a discount airline anymore in my opinion. Spirit is bare bones to be sure but it will get you there for 1/3 to 1/2 of SWA. At least in Texas.

God luck,

JT :)

I have been looking at bookings for our annual mother-daughter fall break cruise. in October.

I am seeing interior cabin rates the same price as our balcony cabin rates from previous years. Is anyone else noticing these increases? I have been looking since after Christmas and haven't seen any price drops. For those of you already booked for cruises in October 2015, have you seen any price drops?

My other issue are airplane fares. I am not having any luck with our usual Southwest. The flights we got last year are not even offered from SW to FLL. It's looking like we will be driving 3 hours to Atlanta to give us more flight options.

Anyone else experiencing any of these issues? OR is just us since we are limited to Oct 10th thru the 18th? We have opted to cruise the last couple of years during Fall break because the cost for the 2 of us was cheaper than renting a condo at the beach for a week plus the cost of meals. It is looking like we may have to abandon the cruise this year due to increased costs. :(:(:(:(

I just got an ad from SW for their December flights and fares. We are doing a Panama Canal cruise on Princess. We got an excellent fare and I jumped right on it. Never saw one that low as I've been checking them quite often. Are you signed up for their rewards program? You need to do that to get the specials. I checked the ad I got with their regular website ad and the fares really differ.

I can't answer about the cabin rates. We booked a Mexican Riviera cruise for September and the rate we got for an aft balcony was good. I get offers all the time from Carnival. Go to their website and look up special offers in the VIFP, you might find something there. You really have to look up deals yourself and jump on them before they change their prices.

We are limited to sailing on Spring and Fall breaks. Fall break is much cheaper than spring break. We are booked on the October 5 sailing on the Triumph out of Galveston. This booking is our first Balcony - it was so cheap compared to our previous cruises. Last year we did same itinerary on Elation in an oceanview cabin and it was $350 more than our current cruise.

Since booking this cruise in April, I have submitted 2 price reductions (equaling $130 deducted from the fare with $30 BC). This is the cheapest cruise I've ever booked - and it's a balcony!!

I know this really isn't what you asked for, but with your location, consider driving to ports. I found this cruise during your time frame listed.

5 night Norfolk Roundtrip on Carnival Splendor - October 12-17 - Nassau and Freeport with 2 sea days - starting at $529

To me, that's a great option for a mother-daughter cruise, and there are no flights involved. I don't know exactly where you live in North Carolina, but from Ashville (which is approximately 3 hours from Atlanta), the drive is 6 hours. Either pull a redeye (leave at 4AM to get there at 10AM), or split the drive into two days, and you'd just need one hotel. Plus, even if you've been to Nassau and Freeport, you can either enjoy the empty ship, or have two nice beach days. Plus Norfolk is a great city as well. However, if you need a balcony, this cruise is a tad expensive for 5 days with a balcony, but then again, without flights, it may be doable. I don't know your budget or situation, I'm just picking up clues.

The plus to this is that the cruise can still be booked under Early Saver, where if the price drops, they give you the difference in OBC. So, you may put out $1300 for the room, but if it drops to $1200, you now have $100 to use for excursion or the steakhouse or somewhere. I love booking under Early Saver, even when I book inside rooms and 4J's, I get something back.

I hope I helped put a backup option on the table!

Edited by cruisexlife

Last year we booked an ocean view on Glory for only $1600 for 3 people for a 7-day cruise (that's w/o gratuities). What a price!!

So this year, we're like "Let's book a second family cruise!!!"

So... taking Valor, which does not have some of the 2.0 funship upgrades that Glory had (side note: we don't mind since the all-important burrito bar was there) is a LOT more money! Over $1200 more! And that was the cheapest rate, too!

It seems to me that with all the bad stuff in 2014 (all the quarantined flu-related ships in the beginning of the year) and the 2012 Costa Concordia disaster, that the great deal I got last year was just that - a great deal for that time period only since people weren't booking as much as usual.

This year, cruising is in demand, hence, the more expensive rooms. Good for Carnival, bad for me.

Anyway, that's what I heard from a Carnival employee.

Edited by daisychain11

thank you all for your input.....

I looked at Spirit Airines. We would still need to drive to Atlanta. and the cost once you add in luggage is not that much cheaper than AA. BUT it is a little cheaper so definitely an option. I forgot about them as an option since they do not fly out of Nashville which is the closest airport to us.

Oops--forgot to change my "location", we live in Tennessee again. So that changes our drive to ports, especially when it is just me doing the driving. Precious DD says she will help drive but she can't ride to the mall in the car without falling asleep so not sure how much I can rely on her to drive. :rolleyes:

And I think I must have just been lucky the last couple of years. I know last year with the price drops after final payment, we ended up changing our booking to a guarantee balcony for less than $ 1000 for the 2 of us for 7 days. And I must have lucked out with SW as well.

We are really wanting to cruise again this year as last years cruise that was supposed to go to HMC and all new ports we had not been to got changed to Western itin which we have done many times. We want to go to new ports! So that pretty much takes Galveston out as an option and leaves FL.

I think I am just going to have to pick a cruise and pray for some price drops or that will definitely impact the bingo and excursion budgets! :D

If you're looking to go out of FLL or MIA, also check Palm Beach. We got cheaper airfare on Delta out of Atlanta to WPB than FLL or MIA. We did rent a car, but that was fun for seeing Palm beach and Miami before and after the cruise.

Depends on when you go....

Our cruise the week after Thanksgiving has had two price drops already, and the Southwest flights from NH to FLL will be the cheapest they've been in 4-5 years.