22 days on the Zuiderdam.

orangearmy

Just got back from 22 days on the Zuiderdam. Venice to Barcelona. Must say that this was one of our best cruises on HAL. (We have 5 some of which were collector voyages) Thanks to Captain Chris Turner & all of the wonderful crew. Captain Turner was very approachable & communicated a lot of information/history of our ports. The crew all very most friendly & seemed to be very happy. The food was really nice although my cousin feels that RCCL has better menu options. I am no foodie so I had no complaints. We had the unlimited beverage package which worked well for us although some passengers seemed to have problems regarding being billed for drinks. the trip was very port intensive but i like port days more than sea days. We did mostly independent tours. Used a wonderful taxi driver recommended on trip advisor in Athens. Used Ephesus Deulxe in Kusadasi; just the 2 of us with a driver & guide. in Santorini we took the speedboat that offered a bus tranfer back to Fira. (Only 8 Euros) Took the Hop On bus in Naples. (Traffic was chaotic as usual) Used the HAL tour for the Vatican Museums in Rome; got back late, no boat drill. Used AP Tours on our second visit to Naples to visit the Amalfi Coast. 6 of us in a van. (Worked out wonderful) Thanks to CC memeber Woodchopper for setting up an awesome day in Sardinia. We went to the National park archipelago. Just one of the most amazing places we have been on a most wonderful on a boat tour. (Great lunch; unlimited wine.) Also thanks to Woodchopper for finding a way for us to explore the Cinque Terre on our own using a small bus company that brought us there, informed us how to travel, and met us in the last town. Took an independent bus tour to Eze & the Villa de Rothschild when in Monaco. The rest of the ports we let our feet be our guides. Again thanks to the Zuiderdam for a most awesome time. Damien in the Piano Bar was a great way to spend the evenings.

Thanks for your report & recommendations, orangearmy! Glad to hear you had a memorable cruise! Last year after an extremely port-intensive, but oh-so wonderful, Mediterranean cruise, I thought adding in some of the French or Italian islands would be nice. The Zuiderdam itineraries have really caught my attention! Seriously considering one this summer.

Thanks again!

The company is called Prestige Rent. They do have a website. Our driver was very good & helpful. We visited 4 of the 5 villages. Took the ferry twice & then the train due to the ferry schedule. We enjoyed the trip but both agreed that a single day does not leave enough time to do the area justice. That and it got crazy busy in the afternoon.

Edited by orangearmy