Birthday celebration on ship

We indicated at the time of booking that we are celebrating a birthday while on board. I noticed it was on our cruise documents as well but was wondering if they actually do anything about that like a decoration, cake or a drink ticket?

We indicated at the time of booking that we are celebrating a birthday while on board. I noticed it was on our cruise documents as well but was wondering if they actually do anything about that like a decoration, cake or a drink ticket?

One small piece of cake for birthday person with wait staff singing.

If you want a full size cake, it will cost you about $15.

on allure , in the MDR , half a dozen employees came to our table , set a tasty chocolate cake slice on the table and sang her happy birthday:)

i mentioned her birthday in the booking , and that was all i did...i never heard or mentioned it again , and they remembered , NICE:cool:

dave

Edited by ERTHDOG

My last birthday onboard was totally bypassed....and we had filled out the info..not a big deal, but...Used to be , they would bring a whole cake, that a would serve about 10 (or the size of the table you were assigned)...now, it's just a piece for the b-day person...IF they remember.

Edited by cb at sea

Haha ok, seems hit or miss. I won't expect much. Good tip on the $15 cake, that seems pretty reasonable. The singing might turn some faces bright red!

You can use the Gifts & Gear section of Royal's website to order the cake. It gives you the option to deliver it on a certain day.

The singing might turn some faces bright red!

HAHA , that is very true:D

we are celebrating her bday on princess this year , and they asked me if i wanted it celebrated in the MDR ...but i said no this time because i did put her in the spotlight on allure , and i wanted her not to be put on the spot this time;)

you know your loved one,so decide what is best

dave

I mentioned DH birthday on our Quantum cruise but it got ignored this time. On Oasis, a 25th anniversary cake was remembered. Guess it works only sometimes.

Similar experience on Allure last year. Our TA had specifically stated that our cruise was a birthday cruise for our daughter when she booked this cruise for us. It was also noted on our Chops reservations for DD's Birthday dinner. The matre-d (sp?) of Chops confirmed it with me when we arrived. Unfortunately, that was as far as it went. Two & a half hours later we left to celebrate elsewhere. I know I should have said something but didn't, which is my fault.

Agree that it is a sometime thing with RC, especially if the servers are really busy. Be proactive if you celebrate. Don't assume it will just happen just because it is noted on your cruise docs or specialty dining reservations.

Agree that it is a sometime thing with RC, especially if the servers are really busy. Be proactive if you celebrate. Don't assume it will just happen just because it is noted on your cruise docs or specialty dining reservations.

Okay, then we'll be proactive. Especially since we have anytime dining, can't imagine that's too easy for the to track.

Our experience has been to tell our servers whatever night we are celebrating and they will do something. Even if it's just bring a dessert and sing hopefully others will sing along (we always do!) I think it's just nice to have them recognized. Can you imagine all the people that are celebrating special occasions?? It's hard for them to always document and remember that so we never feel bad asking the waiters to help us celebrate

Edited by cindivan

Haha ok, seems hit or miss. I won't expect much. Good tip on the $15 cake, that seems pretty reasonable. The singing might turn some faces bright red!

Just make sure if you do order the cake, you REMIND THEM during dinner. On Oasis last year we ordered cakes for 2 celebrations, my 26 Anniversary and 2 of my children obtaining college degrees, one a Masters and the other her PHD. BOTH NIGHTS we were forgotten. It was horrible and I couldnt stop crying.:( We had a show to attend and many of the family members including my DH who was to celebrate our Anniversary left before the cake arrived AFTER one of my children told our servers why I was crying. The RED FACE was theirs not ours. No amount of apology could fix that. Both formal nights were ruined for us, not to mention 2 cakes we had to toss because no one had time to eat them. :mad:

Birthdays used to be special on board. All I would do is mention it at the time of booking. On my Birthday, there would be a card and maybe a balloon in my stateroom. At dinner, the waiters would bring me a piece of cake with a candle and sing Happy Birthday.

By my 5th consecutive birthday on a ship, only got the attention in the MDR. Not only was there no card or recognition in my stateroom after dinner, there was no towel animal :mad:. I think the lack of towel animal upset me most, especially after having such a great dinner with great tablemates. Such a buzzkill. This was shortly after the stateroom attendants got an increase in gratuities 6 months prior. Then found out a couple months later that "laundry" was to blame for the cutback in nightly towel animals.

By my 6th (and final) birthday on a ship, there was absolutely no recognition of my birthday (other than the waiters saying that had something special for me before dinner, but then forgot).

Oh well, fun while it lasted. Time to do other things. Spent my last birthday in NYC watching The Tonight Show in person and ate dinner at the Brooklyn Diner.

ok so Im the grumpy one. Is it necessary to celebrate with everyone around. Why not just go have a drink with your travel partner. I for one get so tired of the birthday songs. And think of the poor servers.They could be bringing me fresh coffee instead they are over there with that song again an again.

Its your birthday. Your special day but not mine.

ok so Im the grumpy one. Is it necessary to celebrate with everyone around. Why not just go have a drink with your travel partner. I for one get so tired of the birthday songs. And think of the poor servers.They could be bringing me fresh coffee instead they are over there with that song again an again.

Not sure who your post was directed at, however, I don't drink coffee and could care less if you get a fresh cup.

I sailed solo on all those cruises for my Birthday, so no travel partner. Just me and my new friends at dinner. When everyone sings "Happy Birthday", people notice and wish me a happy birthday around the ship outside of dinner. Makes for a nice ice breaker and a great way to meet more people on the ship.

Guess we can find you "In Da Club", 50 Cent.

Edited by TM38Rob

Hmmmmmm, Not sure how to respond except to say. I WAS WITH TRAVEL PARTNERS....ALL 16 of US. We didn't require any song or really anything special. JUST BRING THE CAKES WE PAID FOR IN ADVANCE to our table so "WE" not you, could enjoy our "FAMILY" celebrations. Coffee would have been great with our cake:rolleyes:

I've celebrated my birthday on board every year for the last five years. This year was the first time there's been an acknowledgement of it: when we boarded Adventure our room was decorated with streamers. It was a nice touch and completely unexpected.

I've celebrated my birthday on board every year for the last five years. This year was the first time there's been an acknowledgement of it: when we boarded Adventure our room was decorated with streamers. It was a nice touch and completely unexpected.

This made me smile this morning :D

We are celebrating my mom's 75th birthday on the Enchantment in a few weeks. It is noted on my cruise documents. I am hoping they sing "Happy Birthday" to her at dinner. The piece of cake would be nice but she'd probably prefer a Cosmo :D. There are 11 of us in our group so we'll sing if no one else does.

We are celebrating my mom's 75th birthday on the Enchantment in a few weeks. It is noted on my cruise documents. I am hoping they sing "Happy Birthday" to her at dinner. The piece of cake would be nice but she'd probably prefer a Cosmo :D. There are 11 of us in our group so we'll sing if no one else does.

If I were there I would join in a verse of HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! God Bless her:D

I think that is awesome. But of all the times we have cruised celebrating something (why do they even ask if they don't do anything about it?) we have always had to ask at dinner for a song. Or not.

I wonder if your TA had something to do with that.

But I'm glad for you!!

Please please please ask the servers to recognize her when you get to dinner that night. I am not slamming RC but there are a lot of people celebrating a lot of things and sometimes they need to be reminded. Notation on cruise documents does not promise anything.

happy 75th to your mom!!

Edited by cindivan

I celebrated a milestone birthday on our 12-night May 2014 Scandinavia/Russia cruise.

Our suite was decorated with blue and silver, glittery streamers and little hanging spinners shaped in the form of anchors. Was unexpected as we made no prior arrangements. If memory serves me correctly, the thoughtful and memorable gesture was arranged by C&A or guest services as indicated on the birthday card.

I also think one can purchase this as a package during the booking process.

I think that is awesome. But of all the times we have cruised celebrating something (why do they even ask if they don't do anything about it?) we have always had to ask at dinner for a song. Or not.

I wonder if your TA had something to do with that.

But I'm glad for you!!

Thanks! We were traveling with my SIL who had the next stateroom and she also had her birthday acknowledged in the same way. Neither of us used a TA, so I just credited it to a fantastic stateroom attendant. He even made her a "towel" cake the day of her birthday. It just so happened that on that cruise, we both achieved platinum. I doubt that had anything to do with it, but it was definitely a memorable cruise.

We are usually on a cruise on my birthday. My DH speaks to the head waiter and requests strawberries w whipped cream for my dessert and please no singing. Last year, we were in Chops that night and I thought there would be no berries. Surprise!!! He had arranged my favorite dessert. Yum