Tipping: What is considered "generous"?

CroisiereDeReve

No, our cruise fares at this point do not totally pay servers wages. That's the point. If it makes you feel better why not just pay your gratuities before you cruise. We are going to pay one way or the other. This business model works for this company. If you don't like it you don't need to patronize the business.

Your still failing to understand me. The point I'm making is our cruise fare and gratuities which I've already paid by the way cover the cost of the staff wages. If that's not a decent wage it's up to the cruise line to make that up not the responsibility of the passengers to tip further given the cruise line set the initial gratuity level in the first place.

Your still failing to understand me. The point I'm making is our cruise fare and gratuities which I've already paid by the way cover the cost of the staff wages. If that's not a decent wage it's up to the cruise line to make that up not the responsibility of the passengers to tip further given the cruise line set the initial gratuity level in the first place.

I don't think there is any debate about that and you certainly didn't make your position clear on that point. The debate is about those passengers who remove the standard gratuities.

Some of us feel that our servers are worth extra gratuities but that is a personal choice.

Edited by Ma Bell

I don't think there is any debate about that and you certainly didn't make your position clear on that point. The debate is about those passengers who remove the standard gratuities.

Some of us feel that our servers are worth extra gratuities but that is a personal choice.

I did, further back in the thread and thought you had read that. Frankly we're in agreement on the main point and I'm leaving it at that. Not really interested in getting in arguments on an online forum.

Which by the way have just been increased

Makes sense. Crew are paid to do their job, we pay suggested gratuities, everyone should be happy. If a crew member goes out of their way to provide a service over and above that which they are already paid to do (and received a gratuity for doing so) then I understand tipping extra. But that is not every time they pass you a drink, or make the bed, is it? :confused:

I actually did agonize over this on our recently-completed cruise. Both our wait staff (in Select) and the Activities Host went above and beyond. I wanted to write a note and leave a token of appreciation, but would a $20 be laughable, like a $1 bill in a birthday card? We were a party of 6, but since the others were my guests, it wasn't like I could say "pony up, guys, $20 each!" In the end, I decided on a note and a $20 for each waiter. We were so impressed with the Activities Hot, and, to be honest, I think my guests might have monopolized him a bit, that I wrote him a nice note and added a $50. As a person who hasn't gone beyond auto-tip amounts before, this was my version of generous, but I hope it was received that way.

Edited by schlimazel_traveler

Tipping always brings a very good discussion, depending on where you come from. As previous persons have mentioned, we pre pay gratuities and take drink package’s, so no nasty surprises at the end. That being said, I always tip additional.

I normally give my room steward 50euro on arrival and that way we feel we get a better service all trip. This is on top of what we leave on the last day for both, depending on the service performed, in addition to pre-paid tips.

If we have a particular pool attendant that looks after us, he will in the course of the cruise make more than the room attendant, but that’s probably due to him keeping us topped up. At New Year on the Freedom, the pool attendants were not particularly good, so the barman that looked after us scored, as he always knew what we wanted, helped us find new cocktails etc. I may not be the biggest tipper, but I am always polite, and well mannered. I could count the times on one hand when most people would say please or thank you to a Barman, while I was sitting at the bar, which is alien to me.

On the Reflection in 2013, we had our best ever pool butler, who we have kept in contact with, and he is now a Bar Manager for Celebrity. He probably tops our league for service, and in return tips.

It may be that I'm Scottish, but i appreciate good bar service lol.

Just the autotips suffice I think, someone would have to do something pretty special to get extra. It would probably make me happier if lines were more 'generous' with service staff wages but there you go.

Then again, we never have any special requests and I always like to leave my room (wherever I am) tidy. There might be some plates and glasses in my cabin but thats about it. We feel like 'bribing' service staff at the start of the cruise with money is a little bizarre too.

Edited by Velvetwater

The topic of tipping continues to court controversy, it is patently obvious in addition to the differing cultures that exist throughout the world and society as a whole, individual choice plays a major part on how this operates in practice.

I doubt there will ever be unanimity in this matter so I will continue do with my money as I see fit and suggest others do the same.

The topic of tipping continues to court controversy, it is patently obvious in addition to the differing cultures that exist throughout the world and society as a whole, individual choice plays a major part on how this operates in practice.

I doubt there will ever be unanimity in this matter so I will continue do with my money as I see fit and suggest others do the same.

where is the like button ??[emoji41]

I totally agree.

It is not my business if someone else overtips or undertips or doesn't tip.

Whenever there is a thread on tipping, there are lots of people who claim they tip generously, and some outrageously. But IMHO, this is not generally true, or Celebrity would not have increased gratuities by such a large amount. I, personally, would rather choose who I give extra tips to. But now I will not be quite as generous as I was in the past.

Whenever there is a thread on tipping, there are lots of people who claim they tip generously, and some outrageously. But IMHO, this is not generally true, or Celebrity would not have increased gratuities by such a large amount. I, personally, would rather choose who I give extra tips to. But now I will not be quite as generous as I was in the past.

Best tip

plan your visit to Guest relations to remove auto- grats . Usually first night about 10 p.m. is quiet and the Staff cant be bothered to do anything but process your entitlement

I actually did agonize over this on our recently-completed cruise. Both our wait staff (in Select) and the Activities Host went above and beyond. I wanted to write a note and leave a token of appreciation, but would a $20 be laughable, like a $1 bill in a birthday card? We were a party of 6, but since the others were my guests, it wasn't like I could say "pony up, guys, $20 each!" In the end, I decided on a note and a $20 for each waiter. We were so impressed with the Activities Hot, and, to be honest, I think my guests might have monopolized him a bit, that I wrote him a nice note and added a $50. As a person who hasn't gone beyond auto-tip amounts before, this was my version of generous, but I hope it was received that way.

I think that is fantastic. In fact, we did a similar thing with a note and tip for the Luminae staff at the end of our cruise. (Of course, the other 4 people travel with us were paying their own way, so I made them all pony up!)

Best tip

plan your visit to Guest relations to remove auto- grats . Usually first night about 10 p.m. is quiet and the Staff cant be bothered to do anything but process your entitlement

I do not want to remove my gratuities. I may not tip extra quite as much as I did before. I'm just saying I question how generous people really are, if Celebrity feels the need to raise gratuities.

Even though this can become a contentious issue I find it fascinating to read the different perspectives, whether culturally-based on otherwise.

Certainly as an American, I am accustomed to tipping. Tipping the waiter, bartender, cab driver, bellman, doorman, housekeeper, hair stylist, etc. etc. What bothers me, even having been raised in a tip-happy culture, is that what used to be the "really nice tip" is now standard. 20% has all but become the standard for restaurants. Over the years I found myself almost always tipping ~ 20%. Generally for good service I would round up to the nearest dollar above 20%, and for ok service I would round down. Eventually I realized that I wasn't providing much of an incentive for good service, so I changed my habits. I still tip 20% for good service, but will not hesitate to move down to 15 or even 10% when service is not adequate (and it's the server's fault). On the flip side I will often tip 25% or more when the service is exceptional.

I've gone through the same change in philosophy on ships. In addition to the auto tips, I used to give a standard 20$ extra to each room steward and to each waiter, as well as to the drink person in the dining room. Now I give nothing extra to the crew, unless they stand out, in which case I provide a generous tip.

Even though this can become a contentious issue I find it fascinating to read the different perspectives, whether culturally-based on otherwise.

Certainly as an American, I am accustomed to tipping. Tipping the waiter, bartender, cab driver, bellman, doorman, housekeeper, hair stylist, etc. etc. What bothers me, even having been raised in a tip-happy culture, is that what used to be the "really nice tip" is now standard. 20% has all but become the standard for restaurants. Over the years I found myself almost always tipping ~ 20%. Generally for good service I would round up to the nearest dollar above 20%, and for ok service I would round down. Eventually I realized that I wasn't providing much of an incentive for good service, so I changed my habits. I still tip 20% for good service, but will not hesitate to move down to 15 or even 10% when service is not adequate (and it's the server's fault). On the flip side I will often tip 25% or more when the service is exceptional.

I've gone through the same change in philosophy on ships. In addition to the auto tips, I used to give a standard 20$ extra to each room steward and to each waiter, as well as to the drink person in the dining room. Now I give nothing extra to the crew, unless they stand out, in which case I provide a generous tip.

everyone to their own views.

I dont tip and I get excellent service. The cruise line sell my cruises as 'Modern Luxury' which I believe includes good service. i like to think my customers receive a good service but I neither receive nor expect a 'tip'. The staff who have provided excellent service ate always named by me during the Cruise if speaking to their Managers. and also in the questionnaire. I will be seeking out the attention to detail cards when I board next week.