Disappointed on Westerdam

I bet you know a lot more than you are letting on:D.

Thanks for the compliment, but I really wish I

did know more.:)

I'm learning, but I found things on board HAL ships are not

really as posted here, especially the dress code;).

Thanks for the compliment, but I really wish I

did know more.:)

I'm learning, but I found things on board HAL ships are not

really as posted here, especially the dress code;).

Its exactly that it's posted here. Hal gives out the incorrect information

Its exactly that it's posted here. Hal gives out the incorrect information

Oh no! I just took a look at the H A L Dress thread, there are

2 posts saying totally different things. See what I mean?

I followed something similar to the advice in the first one.

It was fine.

Perhaps that is because the specific line "cheerleaders" do not try to spin positive posts, but they will seldom accept anything negative about their beloved line. And this is an issue on each cruise line board.

If I post on the HAL board and complain that the A/C in our cabin did not function properly (it was always hot) there will be quite a few "cheerleaders" that will say something like, "our cabins have always been fine." Of course this is truly irrelevant to the person that had bad or no A/C...but they post it anyway. If somebody complains that they were always served luck warm food, others will say that they always had hot food. Again, not relevant to the person that had the too cool food. And it goes on and on

Hank

This is so true! I used to get frustrated with the endless cheerleading but at some point this message board became entertainment, with some valuable information thrown in here and there.

This is so true! I used to get frustrated with the endless cheerleading but at some point this message board became entertainment, with some valuable information thrown in here and there.

It would be nice if it was entertaining. Some people are just plain hurtful and nasty and get away with it.

You have some very good points. But, on the other side

of the coin - I am definitely not a cheerleader, I don't know

enough to be one - but it is good to know that not all cabins

have the same problems. I wish those posters would let us know

the cabin numbers so we can know which to avoid. I do know that I

had a very good cruise on one of the ships that someone else found

terrible, though, and I liked the food, where they did not.

The challenge with sharing cabin numbers on a public forum is that it is personal information that can identify the user.

Cruise ships are large, so of course different passengers will have very different experiences. I do agree with a previous poster who stated that there are those who will quickly chime in and attempt to undo any negative comment made.

What I've learned from HAL is to keep my expectations low and I won't be disappointed. They are moving downscale and you can't really expect high quality any more. You might get it, but consider yourself lucky.

This raises a related issue about HAL cruises. They are very inconsistent. I never take rave reviews or harsh criticism of a particular ship too seriously. The quality of the experience can vary dramatically on the same ship. I've sailed on nearly every HAL ship. The 3 worst cruises were on the Westerdam, Rotterdam and Statendam. I sailed the Rotterdam in South America and it was horrible. Six months later, I returned to the Rotterdam in the Baltic and it was wonderful. Go figure. In fall, 2013 I sailed the Statendam in the Sea of Cortez and have never seen such poor quality food and service. Two months ago I did a 30 day cruise to South America on the Statendam and it was one of the best cruises I've ever had. I've learned not to assume anything about the quality of a particular ship or HAL in general. You are setting yourself up for a BIG disappointment.

Looks like there was confusion from the OP that when paying a premium for the Neptune suite, it would entail a superior dinning option.

Sorry to say that the premium is for a larger suite with many extras, but no five stars restaurants. Everyone eats at the same MDR, unless you book at the Pinnacle.

If a PAX wants 5 star dining they would have to look at cruise lines that would probably charge more that a Neptune suite.

What I've learned from HAL is to keep my expectations low and I won't be disappointed. They are moving downscale and you can't really expect high quality any more. You might get it, but consider yourself lucky.

This raises a related issue about HAL cruises. They are very inconsistent. I never take rave reviews or harsh criticism of a particular ship too seriously. The quality of the experience can vary dramatically on the same ship. I've sailed on nearly every HAL ship. The 3 worst cruises were on the Westerdam, Rotterdam and Statendam. I sailed the Rotterdam in South America and it was horrible. Six months later, I returned to the Rotterdam in the Baltic and it was wonderful. Go figure. In fall, 2013 I sailed the Statendam in the Sea of Cortez and have never seen such poor quality food and service. Two months ago I did a 30 day cruise to South America on the Statendam and it was one of the best cruises I've ever had. I've learned not to assume anything about the quality of a particular ship or HAL in general. You are setting yourself up for a BIG disappointment.

Do us a favor, don't cruise on HAL.

You are disrespectful to the dress code in the MDR on formal nights, yet accuse them of moving downscale.

Wow. Smh

I've never posted anything but positive before tonight, but your mindset really has me disconcerted.

The challenge with sharing cabin numbers on a public forum is that it is personal information that can identify the user.

Cruise ships are large, so of course different passengers will have very different experiences. I do agree with a previous poster who stated that there are those who will quickly chime in and attempt to undo any negative comment made.

Wasn't that long ago that a list of all passengers, their cabin number, and home city was slid under your door the second morning so you could get to know people. Was also posted by the front office.

Do us a favor, don't cruise on HAL.

You are disrespectful to the dress code in the MDR on formal nights, yet accuse them of moving downscale.

Wow. Smh

I've never posted anything but positive before tonight, but your mindset really has me disconcerted.

HuH?

How did you determine that I am disrespectful to the dress code? I always dress up for formal nights. This is really strange.

I'm sorry if you are disconcerted.

...they started putting on extra fees on top of the extra fees in the alternative restaurants for food you used to get in the MDR!

One wonders what is next in cruising...

My guess, and it is merely a guess, is that eventually the Lido buffets will be the only no-upcharge dining on mass-market lines. Anything above that will be at extra cost.

Wasn't that long ago that a list of all passengers, their cabin number, and home city was slid under your door the second morning so you could get to know people. Was also posted by the front office.

You are correct on this. How times have changed. Another purpose of the lists was so you could see if there was anyone on your sailing that you already knew, so you could arrange to meet (or, I suppose, avoid in some cases ;)).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

...This raises a related issue about HAL cruises. They are very inconsistent. I never take rave reviews or harsh criticism of a particular ship too seriously. The quality of the experience can vary dramatically on the same ship...

The same on Princess ships, on which I have been sailing recently. Food quality in particular varies widely from cruise to cruise and ship to ship. I used to think that HAL was more consistent, but I'm hearing from recent HAL cruisers that this is no longer the case :(.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

We have certainly experienced the lack of consistency on HAL. It is actually this lack of consistency that is our biggest stumbling block with HAL. When HAL manages to do all things right, it provides a wonderful experience. BUT, it seems to be a flip of the coin as to whether this will happen.

The challenge of providing a consistent experience across a brand can usually be traced back to poor leadership. Perhaps even more changes are needed at HAL?

This inconsistency is the reason why HAL is not longer our number 1 or number 2 choice. And sometimes not number 3.

I agree, I think this is very much a reflection of leadership and senior management.

I have no doubt that the teams on board strive for signature of excellence. I suspect that their hands are tied and their morale is not as it should be.

We have certainly experienced the lack of consistency on HAL. It is actually this lack of consistency that is our biggest stumbling block with HAL. When HAL manages to do all things right, it provides a wonderful experience. BUT, it seems to be a flip of the coin as to whether this will happen.

The challenge of providing a consistent experience across a brand can usually be traced back to poor leadership. Perhaps even more changes are needed at HAL?

I will say from personal experience that communication with Seattle is hit or miss at best. Sad people have to call more than once to get someone that can answer a question.

Also appears (again from my personal experience only) that communication between Seattle and the ships is very poor especially in customer service matters. When they can't get an on board event right while at the pier in Seattle (less than a mile from their HQ) that's pretty sad.

This inconsistency is the reason why HAL is not longer our number 1 or number 2 choice. And sometimes not number 3.

I agree, I think this is very much a reflection of leadership and senior management.

I have no doubt that the teams on board strive for signature of excellence. I suspect that their hands are tied and their morale is not as it should be.

I also have no doubt that the teams on board strive for excellence, but without the proper leadership, it just cannot be achieved. Management by crisis is the norm today, with everyone seemingly trying to do everything but no one actually doing what needs to be done.

My guess is that HAL's senior management team is much more( or even singularly) focussed on meeting the quarterly financial goals that have been set by Corporate than they are on customer satisfaction.

Not to mention those meaningless 'Signature of Excellence' standards.

Edited by iancal

So my dh & I was on our first HAL first cruise to Alaska & on the Westerdam May 2-9. We have cruised on Princess RCCL NCL & Carnival all to the Caribbean & 1 Panama Canal, this was my favorite cruise. We expeienced outstanding service from all staff, the food was outstanding, always fresh.. we dined in the MD & Lido, no specialities, We were very pleased, Would do HAL again & Westerdam in a heart beat.

The food was excellent when we were on the Westerdam a few years back. Caribbean. All the food complaints I'm seeing for this ship seem to be during Alaskan itinerary. Wondering if the quality changed over time or if the Alaskan menu just isn't that good?

We are just off Nieuw Amsterdam Trans Atlantic 38 days and did the same cruise, same ship last year. Night and day between the food from last year and this. Lasts was just okay, not what we had remembered the food to be in the past but not bad. Not a lot of variety and the menu repeated.

This year's was superb. Presentation, variety, excellent flavor and great service. And I am speaking of the Manhattan Dining. We had warm soup the first evening and asked for it to be heated more. We did not complain, we just asked nicely. Every item that came to our table for the rest of the nights we dined there was piping hot and on heated plates. I think sometimes people get on a cruise and forget the attendants are there as servers and not servants. We fine dine at some of the best steakhouses in the U.S. and our Pinnacle Restaurant was at the top of any of those we have ever experienced. From service to food, EXCELLENT. We had 3 Le Cirque and 7 dinners, each superb. Breakfast and lunch were equally good in the Pinnacle. I encourage anyone to try the Pinnacle for dinner at least once. It is by far the best value.

Glad to read more that that Nieuw Amsterdam has improved. We booked this for March next year assuming the food quality & choices would be excellent since it's HAL.