Disappointed on Westerdam

I agree that cruising with HAL, and particularly the Westerdam, can be very disappointing. We spent two weeks on the same ship a couple of years ago and we were thoroughly dissatisfied with the food. It was bland both in the main dining room as well as the buffet. Also everything was just repeated the second week. That wasn't all we were disappointed with on the ship, but when I wrote a rather scathing review here on TA, I was "beat up" by a host of the "HAL cheerleaders". We have cruised on a couple of other cruise lines, and have found the food consistently better than on our one and last HAL cruise. We did the Alaska cruise on Carnival and thoroughly enjoyed everything about the food, ship, service, and sights we saw. Don't give up cruising, there are some great ships out there.

I've always been surprised at the wildly varying reactions to food on cruises by people who eat out regularly and presumably know what good food is. For the most part we've been very happy with the food we've gotten on cruises, and we eat out regularly at expensive restaurants and have pretty high expectations.

It strikes me that cruises have a very different environment and economic model to deal with than restaurants on land, so some dishes are much more likely to be successful than others. Most importantly, land-based restaurants have to balance food costs and labor costs, so for them a complicated dish may be just as expensive as a simple dish made with expensive ingredients. On a cruise, labor is cheap but ingredients are just as expensive as they are on land.

Because cruises have to deliver a lot of a smallish number of options to a lot of people, they have no real choice but to pre-plate a lot of servings assembly-line style and set them up in the kitchen. So in that sense it's more like a fancy banquet or catered event. Anything that has to be served immediately is not a good choice on a cruise, because they really have to keep things warm for at least a few minutes (maybe longer) because of the logistics.

In addition, most cruise lines have a food budget that precludes serving very expensive ingredients. They have very low labor costs, so they can serve complicated dishes, make their own stocks, prep tons of garnishes and sauces, etc. But the basic ingredients need to be pretty mainstream and not too costly.

So ceviche on a cruise might be very good, because it can be made with inexpensive mild fish or bay scallops, plus fresh-squeezed citrus and freshly chopped shallots and peppers and so forth.

A steak, on the other hand, is all about the quality of the meat, and they can't be serving prime steak in the MDR; they don't have the budget. Same for other simple cuts and chops; they aren't going to be the very best quality.

So if you order a steak in a cruise ship MDR, unless your tastes lean toward Sizzler and Outback you're not going to be too pleased. But if you order a salade Nicoise, that's just inexpensive fresh ingredients artfully arranged and dressed, and that has a decent chance of being excellent.

I think my advice to new cruisers would be to scan the menu looking for dishes that are mostly about the technique rather than the ingredients, and not to order simple food like steaks and chops; the quality of the underlying ingredients are going to dominate, and it's highly likely to be basically like ordinary supermarket meat. The more complicated the dish, strangely enough, the more likely it is to impress.

I agree. Cruise chefs do braised food very well and I've had good luck with prime rib and pasts dishes. Op did not state what they wanted to eat. I would like to know what they wanted that wasn't offered.

So my dh & I was on our first HAL first cruise to Alaska & on the Westerdam May 2-9. We have cruised on Princess RCCL NCL & Carnival all to the Caribbean & 1 Panama Canal, this was my favorite cruise. We expeienced outstanding service from all staff, the food was outstanding, always fresh.. we dined in the MD & Lido, no specialities, We were very pleased, Would do HAL again & Westerdam in a heart beat.

We are just off Nieuw Amsterdam Trans Atlantic 38 days and did the same cruise, same ship last year. Night and day between the food from last year and this. Lasts was just okay, not what we had remembered the food to be in the past but not bad. Not a lot of variety and the menu repeated.

This year's was superb. Presentation, variety, excellent flavor and great service. And I am speaking of the Manhattan Dining. We had warm soup the first evening and asked for it to be heated more. We did not complain, we just asked nicely. Every item that came to our table for the rest of the nights we dined there was piping hot and on heated plates. I think sometimes people get on a cruise and forget the attendants are there as servers and not servants. We fine dine at some of the best steakhouses in the U.S. and our Pinnacle Restaurant was at the top of any of those we have ever experienced. From service to food, EXCELLENT. We had 3 Le Cirque and 7 dinners, each superb. Breakfast and lunch were equally good in the Pinnacle. I encourage anyone to try the Pinnacle for dinner at least once. It is by far the best value.

We will be leaving in a few days for Westerdam to Alaska. While I have an open mind I frankly have some second thoughts based on what I have 'absorbed' on the ship through these boards.

That said while I eat out at expensive places for business a hundred time a year for the past 30 years,I have really never been dissatisfied with cruise food (Princess, X, NCL).

Generally the settings are elegant, service is good, you are at sea, and being with my wife (not necessarily in that order) make it all good. It is also nice not having to have dining pricing enter into the equation. Plus there are so many dining options one can certainly find something to eat.

Off topic was a bit peeved with significant price drops on these cruises that HAL would not budge to offer anything outside of some overpriced upsells.

I understand the rules of the game so don't need to be reminded of these but some small OBC or concession would have been appreciated.

We will be leaving in a few days for Westerdam to Alaska. While I have an open mind I frankly have some second thoughts based on what I have 'absorbed' on the ship through these boards.

That said while I eat out at expensive places for business a hundred time a year for the past 30 years,I have really never been dissatisfied with cruise food (Princess, X, NCL).

Generally the settings are elegant, service is good, you are at sea, and being with my wife (not necessarily in that order) make it all good. It is also nice not having to have dining pricing enter into the equation. Plus there are so many dining options one can certainly find something to eat.

Off topic was a bit peeved with significant price drops on these cruises that HAL would not budge to offer anything outside of some overpriced upsells.

I understand the rules of the game so don't need to be reminded of these but some small OBC or concession would have been appreciated.

I look forward to your opinion when you return. As far as the comment on there are so many dining options, there are not on the Westerdam. Your choice is the Lido deck or the main dining room and Pinnacle Grill (a fee restaurant). Just be prepared for food that was prepackaged (frozen and boxed) including noodles (they proudly display the boxed noodles) and you won't be let down taste wise except when it is not cooked well (limpy, greasy bacon and tough steak that takes forever to chew).

I am looking forward to returning to Royal Caribbean (18 venues on the Anthem) as even on their biggest ship the food was tasty outside of their chicken fried steak.

I find it intriguing that a thread that is unhappy goes on forever while threads that have good reports quickly drop off the first page.

Just an observation.

I find it intriguing that a thread that is unhappy goes on forever while threads that have good reports quickly drop off the first page.

Just an observation.

Perhaps that is because the specific line "cheerleaders" do not try to spin positive posts, but they will seldom accept anything negative about their beloved line. And this is an issue on each cruise line board.

If I post on the HAL board and complain that the A/C in our cabin did not function properly (it was always hot) there will be quite a few "cheerleaders" that will say something like, "our cabins have always been fine." Of course this is truly irrelevant to the person that had bad or no A/C...but they post it anyway. If somebody complains that they were always served luck warm food, others will say that they always had hot food. Again, not relevant to the person that had the too cool food. And it goes on and on

Hank

I look forward to your opinion when you return. As far as the comment on there are so many dining options, there are not on the Westerdam. Your choice is the Lido deck or the main dining room and Pinnacle Grill (a fee restaurant). Just be prepared for food that was prepackaged (frozen and boxed) including noodles (they proudly display the boxed noodles) and you won't be let down taste wise except when it is not cooked well (limpy, greasy bacon and tough steak that takes forever to chew).

I am looking forward to returning to Royal Caribbean (18 venues on the Anthem) as even on their biggest ship the food was tasty outside of their chicken fried steak.

I will be happy to share my thoughts upon return. I have been anxious to try Holland for some time. I am old enough to remember when it was a premium line. I don't think I have unrealistic expectations.. I'm looking forward to BB Kings, Pinnacle Grille, and mostly Alaska.

We've pretty much standardized on Celebrity (2 cruises booked for next year) but it always good to try something new.

Do you mean you won't go back on the Westerdam, or you won't go back to Holland America ? You had such a great time....I hope you'll try another one of their ships.

By the way, the next time you're in Juneau, have lunch or dinner at the Hangar on the Wharf. It's a "real" restaurant (not a saloon) with a beautiful view of the waterfront.

http://www.hangaronthewharf.com/

Thanks for the info. Probably not the Westerdam.

Cruised to the wonderful state of Alaska in a suite with family sounds like a great vacation. Then comes the food not up to satisfaction, Ill never cruise Hal again sorry you were unhappy. Makes me wonder now many people in this world would be thrilled with the garbage that was produced on that one cruise. We all have our expectations it is just sometimes we tend to set the bar to high.

If I had at least Olive Garden or Applebees quality I would have been fine. Look folks I am not a picky eater and will try most anything once but poor food quality is what we had and that is that.

Perhaps that is because the specific line "cheerleaders" do not try to spin positive posts, but they will seldom accept anything negative about their beloved line. And this is an issue on each cruise line board.

If I post on the HAL board and complain that the A/C in our cabin did not function properly (it was always hot) there will be quite a few "cheerleaders" that will say something like, "our cabins have always been fine." Of course this is truly irrelevant to the person that had bad or no A/C...but they post it anyway. If somebody complains that they were always served luck warm food, others will say that they always had hot food. Again, not relevant to the person that had the too cool food. And it goes on and on

Hank

Exactly. There are a couple of posters that will beat you into a fine pulp and harass you until you give up. Here I thought that type of behavior wasn't allowed but some posters are golden.

Hank

You have some very good points. But, on the other side

of the coin - I am definitely not a cheerleader, I don't know

enough to be one - but it is good to know that not all cabins

have the same problems. I wish those posters would let us know

the cabin numbers so we can know which to avoid. I do know that I

had a very good cruise on one of the ships that someone else found

terrible, though, and I liked the food, where they did not.

I agree that cruising with HAL, and particularly the Westerdam, can be very disappointing. We spent two weeks on the same ship a couple of years ago and we were thoroughly dissatisfied with the food. It was bland both in the main dining room as well as the buffet. Also everything was just repeated the second week. That wasn't all we were disappointed with on the ship, but when I wrote a rather scathing review here on TA, I was "beat up" by a host of the "HAL cheerleaders". We have cruised on a couple of other cruise lines, and have found the food consistently better than on our one and last HAL cruise. We did the Alaska cruise on Carnival and thoroughly enjoyed everything about the food, ship, service, and sights we saw. Don't give up cruising, there are some great ships out there.

Thanks, I appreciate that! I am not a food snob but expect something that is edible.

I totally agree with you.....never had a bad meal on Carnival (even their old ships).

A couple told me on the Westerdam that you do not go on a cruise and expect good food. (Wow.....yeah I actually do...not superb but good). And yeah the cheerleaders beat my thread up as well and got it closed.

Well that is most disheartening if HAL has had the best food.

Oh my goodness Babbs, don't believe that. Try Royal, Princess, or Carnival....we were so hoping that HAL would be another choice for us but we had the same experience as you.

You have some very good points. But, on the other side

of the coin - I am definitely not a cheerleader, I don't know

enough to be one - but it is good to know that not all cabins

have the same problems. I wish those posters would let us know

the cabin numbers so we can know which to avoid. I do know that I

had a very good cruise on one of the ships that someone else found

terrible, though, and I liked the food, where they did not.

I bet you know a lot more than you are letting on:D.

Hank

nope, not this "cheerleader" I posted plumbing issues that others had (hot water) in my review ;) We did have a good cruise but I certainly reported any issues. And will continue to do so. By the way, the person with the hot water problems also had a good cruise

If I had at least Olive Garden or Applebees quality I would have been fine. Look folks I am not a picky eater and will try most anything once but poor food quality is what we had and that is that.

Poor quality food can, unfortunately, be in abundance on HAL's ships. Way too much money is being spent on processed and pre-packaged goods and it can be quite difficult to avoid it on the ship.

Of course, much of your experience will depend upon what you are use to eating. We try to avoid processed foods at all costs. For instance, I will buy my pork from a local farmer who specializes in grass fed pasture pork. I then grind this pork myself and use it to make breakfast sausage with pure maple syrup, fresh herbs and iodized free salt. Eggs are also local and free range and my english muffins are home made using a natural sourdough starter and flour that is ground by water and steam from a mill in operation since 1863.

Care to even guess how we find the food on HAL?

Just be prepared for food that was prepackaged (frozen and boxed) including noodles (they proudly display the boxed noodles)

Packaged, dried noodles are not necessarily inferior. The type of pasta (fresh versus dried) that is best depends on what you're going to do with it. Dried pasta (which is typically made with so little moisture to start with that I've known people to think it was still just flour when they extrude it) will hold up under cooking times and heavy sauces that fresh noodles will struggle with.