Airline cutting it too close? What do you think?

There are other reasons for delays.....especially electrical storms...which can cause significant delays, or mechanical problems with the plane.

We always book a pre cruise vacation so we often arrive 2 days early. IN 2012 our direct flight from Kansas City to Ft. Lauderdale was 2 hours delayed getting into FLL. Even though our flight was non stop....the connecting flights were the main trouble, as well as the storm at FLL.

When we departed after the cruise....our flight was delayed 5 hours. Not only were there incredible storms in Ft. Lauderdale...but the connecting flights has storms. It was horrible. There was NOTHING in that airport. The "adult kids" in our group sat around on the floor...(all the seats were taken).....playing cards until their eyes were blurry!

I would not ever chance flying in the same day. My vacation is too important to me to possible miss...even with insurance.

I'm cruising on the Carnival Victory on September 19th. I've found amazing prices on a non-stop flight direct from (CVG)Cincinnati - (FFL)Fort Lauderdale. FFL is about 39 minutes away from the port. to arrive the day before my cruise, but these airline tickets are only $93 each!

As quoted above, the airport is FLL, not FFL.

FLL is 39 minutes away from the port????

The airport is maybe 39 minutes from our home at Boca Raton, which is well, well north. However, that is once we are in the car heading home.

Now once you get your luggage and get in the taxi, the port is about 15 minutes away at best, not 39. Now, if you are talking about stepping off the plane and getting into the ship terminal, then 39 minutes makes sense, as you have to get through the airport terminal, baggage claim, etc.

The distance from FLL to port is about 5 miles. Look at a Google map, and you will see how close they are.

FLL is a nice airport, they just spent a bunch of money to improve it in order to compete with the mess that is MIA. They did some amazing construction stuff in a relatively short amount of time.

Edit: I drove from Boca Raton to Miami today (on interstate 95 exit 44 to exit 3A and 14th st.) It was under an hour. Okay, coming back was another story, that was not normal, but still.....

Edited by loubetti

I live in Orlando area and drive to Port Canaveral -1 hr 15 min, Tampa - 2 hr, FLL - 4 hour and MIA 4 1/2 hrs. I have always booked hotel night before. Not only do I start fresh the day of cruise but my vacation starts 1 day earlier when I leave my home. Win-Win situation for me.

Interesting. Do you think that is common? Do you 'burn' a vacation day to do that? Leave after work in the evening? Or are you retired?

I think my wife would argue that I'm a proactive person. As an example, I'll expect to arrive at the airport in plenty of time such that there's no last minute stress. I always travel to a cruise the day before for all the reasons cited. But if our cruise was on a Saturday out of FLL we'd be flying after work on Friday evening with the theory that they can get me to my hotel by the middle of the night in a worst case scenario. I suppose if one has the time.....

As quoted above, the airport is FLL, not FFL.

FLL is 39 minutes away from the port????

The airport is maybe 39 minutes from our home at Boca Raton, which is well, well north. However, that is once we are in the car heading home.

Now once you get your luggage and get in the taxi, the port is about 15 minutes away at best, not 39. Now, if you are talking about stepping off the plane and getting into the ship terminal, then 39 minutes makes sense, as you have to get through the airport terminal, baggage claim, etc.

The distance from FLL to port is about 5 miles. Look at a Google map, and you will see how close they are.

FLL is a nice airport, they just spent a bunch of money to improve it in order to compete with the mess that is MIA. They did some amazing construction stuff in a relatively short amount of time.

Edit: I drove from Boca Raton to Miami today (on interstate 95 exit 44 to exit 3A and 14th st.) It was under an hour. Okay, coming back was another story, that was not normal, but still.....

OP is flying into FLL but cruising from Miami.... hence the 39 minute drive.

I'm cruising on the Carnival Victory on September 19th. I've found amazing prices on a non-stop flight direct from (CVG)Cincinnati - (FFL)Fort Lauderdale. FFL is about 39 minutes away from the port. This flight is scheduled to land at FFL at 10:20am. Boarding time is 12:30pm-2:30pm, so in a perfect, non-delayed, no traffic world, this would put us at the port right around or just after 12:00pm. But we all know this isn't a perfect world and things happen. This flight would give us about 3 hours max to allow for delays/traffic.

My question, would you go for this flight or would you pay more than double the price and fly in the night before? I've always tried to arrive the day before my cruise, but these airline tickets are only $93 each!

We always go the day before.

To the OP- you may be thinking about the weather on your end, but here in Florida in September, it's still hurricane season. Not to mention our frequent thunderstorms that wreak havoc with airline schedules.

If you're OK with enjoying south Florida instead of cruising, buy the cheap tickets and take your chances. If you for sure want to go on your cruise, come in a day early.

To the posters that are marveling about Florida folks driving the day before, I'm another one that wants to wake up near the port in the morning.

Driving from here in nowhere North Florida, it's ~ 2.5 hrs to Port Canaveral, ~4 hrs to Tampa, ~ 5 hours to FLL, ~5.5 to Miami.

We used to use the Cruise Connection bus back in the day when it was free from most TA's. We would have to be up early to make it for a 7am pickup, and I'm not a morning person.

We would arrive at our ship stressed out and tired, and unhappy from being cooped up and uncomfortable on a bus for what felt like days. On the way back, we would always have to wait for that one set of idiots that decided not to get off the ship until 11am.

We now drive our own vehicles, and are much happier going the night (or day) before, depending on our work schedules. I would MUCH rather do the drive after we get off work and be close to the port in the morning.

Why? Because we don't have much in the way of alternative roads. A badly placed wreck (or fire, or construction, or... etc.) can hold up traffic for hours. Going down the east coast, there's pretty much only highway 95 and US 1 until the turnpike crosses fully, close to Ft. Pierce.

Enjoy your trip, whatever you decide to do!

Wendy

As an extremely frequent flier (45+ trips per year) I would never chance it. Last nights flight home cancelled, today my rebooted 10 am flight got off the ground at 145 because if backup delays left over from the night before. I go to Ohio monthly, sometimes Cincinnati sometimes dayton, sometimes columbus, you have to remember a backup plan, if your plane comes in from Chicago, from toronto, from new york, and a storm hits new york the day before, you may be too late for the ship. This year I've had 4 cancelled flights, 2 with no options until the following day, and 5 delays over 2 hours. That's around 1/3 of my flights. All to or from ohare, only 1 was because of weather at the airports I was coming from or going to. The rest was delayed incoming aircraft because of weather halfway around the country.

A cruise ship can only wait so long, airlines can cancel anytime.

With insurance running at about $130 for 2, it would be worth the expense of purchasing it - the 19th is a Saturday so traffic should be a non-issue. Any events happening in town that date? Marathon etc?

Traffic actually could very likely be an issue. I live in Miami. They have been doing construction on I-95 on the weekends lately. That, combined with the possibility of rain (which causes accidents every single time), means I'd fly in the day before if I didn't already live here. Theoretically, the OP should have enough time, but you never know...

I didn't read the whole thread ... but ....

The Sunshine was delayed because they had to turn back to take a sick passenger back to San Juan and won't be getting into Port Canaveral Saturday until 10:30 am rather than the usual 7am. Something like that might really throw a monkey wrench into an early flight home.

I'm cruising on the Carnival Victory on September 19th. I've found amazing prices on a non-stop flight direct from (CVG)Cincinnati - (FFL)Fort Lauderdale. FFL is about 39 minutes away from the port. This flight is scheduled to land at FFL at 10:20am. Boarding time is 12:30pm-2:30pm, so in a perfect, non-delayed, no traffic world, this would put us at the port right around or just after 12:00pm. But we all know this isn't a perfect world and things happen. This flight would give us about 3 hours max to allow for delays/traffic.

My question, would you go for this flight or would you pay more than double the price and fly in the night before? I've always tried to arrive the day before my cruise, but these airline tickets are only $93 each!

Wont work, why rush around like a chicken with your head cut off? Your on vacation your are suppose to relax.I don't understand why some people will go on a vacation and then end up rushing here and rushing there just slow down and smell the roses once in a while;)