Airline cutting it too close? What do you think?

I'm cruising on the Carnival Victory on September 19th. I've found amazing prices on a non-stop flight direct from (CVG)Cincinnati - (FFL)Fort Lauderdale. FFL is about 39 minutes away from the port. This flight is scheduled to land at FFL at 10:20am. Boarding time is 12:30pm-2:30pm, so in a perfect, non-delayed, no traffic world, this would put us at the port right around or just after 12:00pm. But we all know this isn't a perfect world and things happen. This flight would give us about 3 hours max to allow for delays/traffic.

My question, would you go for this flight or would you pay more than double the price and fly in the night before? I've always tried to arrive the day before my cruise, but these airline tickets are only $93 each!

Landed in FLL at 11:30 am for the Breeze last September. Was onboard by 1:15 pm or so. Pre-arranged my pick up with SAS, and only had carryon, so no waiting for luggage. Luckily, I had no issues.

How is the FFL airport? I've never been here yet. Is it pretty painless to get through? I'd be carrying on luggage.

I like arriving the day before whether flying or driving.

As long as the flight isn't delayed/cancelled for some reason you should be ok. Still, if possible I vote for day before arrival.

I personally wouldn't chance it. All you would need is one of our frequent summer thunderstorms (yes, do they occur in the morning) and the airport will close because of the lightening (lightening within two miles of the airport means no luggage is loaded or unloaded).

With a strong storm system, flights for the east coast of Florida are diverted to Orlando and Tampa until the east coast reopens (or if the system is moving from west to east, Tampa to Orlando and the east coast airports). In any cases, the closing of the airports and reopening as the storm system moves across the state wracks havoc with the airports in the state with flights and passengers stacked up in the various airports.

No, we don't get the insurance. Maybe we should start considering that.

Looking at the history of this flight on Flight Aware, it's almost always on time or early. That's reassuring. I think we may go for it.

As someone that has worked in the airline industry for 9 years, I can tell you that the history you see on Flight Aware really doesn't mean much. The last 100 flights could have been on time, but yours could be the one that has a mechanical issue or a weather delay that causes you to be 5 hours late. (Where's Tapi to back me up here? LOL ;))

You'll get a mixture of answers here to this question. People fly in the day of a cruise quite frequently without issues, so in theory, if the stars all align and everything goes the way it's supposed to, yes you could make it. I've made it from FLL to Miami in 25 minutes in no traffic. However, being someone in the industry, personally I always go in the day before because I know what could go wrong.

That being said, if you do choose to go with this flight, BUY THE TRAVEL INSURANCE and make sure you have your passport (not just a birth certificate) just in case something wacky happens and you have to fly into your first port. I have seen first hand people miss their cruise, vacation and money because they missed their flight and had no travel insurance and no passport.

Good luck! :)

I'm cruising on the Carnival Victory on September 19th. I've found amazing prices on a non-stop flight direct from (CVG)Cincinnati - (FFL)Fort Lauderdale. FFL is about 39 minutes away from the port. This flight is scheduled to land at FFL at 10:20am. Boarding time is 12:30pm-2:30pm, so in a perfect, non-delayed, no traffic world, this would put us at the port right around or just after 12:00pm. But we all know this isn't a perfect world and things happen. This flight would give us about 3 hours max to allow for delays/traffic.

My question, would you go for this flight or would you pay more than double the price and fly in the night before? I've always tried to arrive the day before my cruise, but these airline tickets are only $93 each!

If you are only saving a couple hundred I would fly in the day before.

Smaller airport and very easy to get through.

Smaller is relative. FLL has boomed during the last decade, currently serving over 11 million passengers a year and making it one of the busiest airports in the nation. Still not as busy as MIA which serves 16 million passengers a year, but it's definitely not the sleepy regional airport it once was.

You should make that time no problem. Ask carnival when their last shuttle leaves the airport. September flight should be safe from weather and its non-stop. You should clearly have your luggage by 11:15 am. If your worried arrange a private shuttle van. Personally I think you could be at the cruise terminal by noon or shortly after using one of the shuttle van services there.

Other people have said it and I'll reiterate it. I've worked in the airline industry for 14 years now in various capacities (currently as a pilot) and it never fails. Every time I work a flight into Miami or Fort Lauderdale on Cruise Ship Day, I see people freaking out that they're going to miss flights. I've worked flight that have been delayed because of mechanical problems, late inbound airplanes, weather, etc. I've been a passenger on flights that have diverted and waited out weather for several hours. The past is no indicator on future performance in the airline industry.

Please, please, please consider flying in the day before. If you don't, please don't take it out on your flight crew.

Other people have said it and I'll reiterate it. I've worked in the airline industry for 14 years now in various capacities (currently as a pilot) and it never fails. Every time I work a flight into Miami or Fort Lauderdale on Cruise Ship Day, I see people freaking out that they're going to miss flights. I've worked flight that have been delayed because of mechanical problems, late inbound airplanes, weather, etc. I've been a passenger on flights that have diverted and waited out weather for several hours. The past is no indicator on future performance in the airline industry.

Please, please, please consider flying in the day before. If you don't, please don't take it out on your flight crew.

There's the expert answer. If the pilot says to fly in the day before, I'd listen.

I would never fly in the day of sailing again. I had a 4 hour window the time that I did and there were severe morning thunderstorms that delayed us by 4 hours. we missed the sailing. thank god we had insurance.

Geez this thread has me worried, I'm arriving at the airport (Miami) at 11:40 AM for a 1-3 PM embarkation and 4 PM sailing, thought it was plenty of time :o.

Most of the time you'll be fine. However, you might get one of the flights that have issues. They are statistically a small percentage, but they are a possibility.

I'm gonna toss in another "what if" that could impact making the ship on time in Miami. Last time we cruised out of Miami and flew into FLL...no flight delays, no issues getting checked luggage..off plane and out of airport rather quickly. Had booked a ride with SAS, they showed on time...but....we hit a huge traffic jam on 95 caused by 2 separate accidents.....took about 2 hours to get from FLL to our hotel in downtown Miami.....We had flown in on Friday for cruise Saturday...were it same day as cruise we would not have made it.

On my very first cruise ever I booked a same day flight (this was in June, so no risk of snow). The flight was direct, and maybe 90 minutes total. We were scheduled to leave at 10:00am and get to L.A. at 10:30am (1 hour earlier in L.A. so we gained an hour too). I have flown a lot both before this and after this, and I had never heard of a plane having a flat tire, but our plane had one of those. There were maybe 8 other couples on the plane who were also scheduled to go on the cruise. They ended up canceling that flight, and all of us were put on different flights. My son and I were lucky and made it with minutes left to spare. Two other couples were put on a flight that arrived too late.

Would I risk it? If I saved a lot of money I probably would. But NO way without insurance.

I'm gonna toss in another "what if" that could impact making the ship on time in Miami. Last time we cruised out of Miami and flew into FLL...no flight delays, no issues getting checked luggage..off plane and out of airport rather quickly. Had booked a ride with SAS, they showed on time...but....we hit a huge traffic jam on 95 caused by 2 separate accidents.....took about 2 hours to get from FLL to our hotel in downtown Miami.....We had flown in on Friday for cruise Saturday...were it same day as cruise we would not have made it.

Good point. For my Sensation cruise from Port Canaveral, I missed my morning flight to Orlando because I overslept! :eek: I had maybe 7 alarms set between my phone and wall clock, yet somehow I managed to miss them all. I was able to catch an early afternoon flight, no big deal, but if it was the day of, I most certainly would have missed my cruise.

I will NEVER fly in the same day. NEVER.

OP- inquiring minds want to know what you decided to do? :confused:

That's an argument for using Carnival transfers. They will wait for the buses. There was a marathon in downtown Miami last year and taxis weren't getting through. Folks were freaking. Everyone made it but not a good way to start.