Finding out if there is a group on our cruise

mosaic_mom

"Groups" are on every cruise, some just more organized than others. Family groups, church groups, special interest groups, wedding parties. Corporations will often award their best contributors with cruises as well as using cruises as training seminars. For the most part other cruisers will never even notice the groups, however large unless the group decides to dress alike.

On every cruise I have been on public rooms are allocated throughout the day for special occasions. And some groups do tend to meet up together socially.

So, if people don't like traveling with groups cruising isn't the best mode of vacation. I promise you they are on every ship for every sailing.

This is one reason some people like to know if there will be large groups aboard. Private groups using public venues on the ships often translates into less opportunities for non-group guests to enjoy these spaces for regular cruise activities.

Seminars would be held in one of the conference rooms on the Dream. I've never been on the Dream before, so I have to ask: what exactly would the public be using these rooms for if our group wasn't using them? I would have assumed that they are used only for this purpose. Just curious.

Seminars would be held in one of the conference rooms on the Dream. I've never been on the Dream before, so I have to ask: what exactly would the public be using these rooms for if our group wasn't using them? I would have assumed that they are used only for this purpose. Just curious.

How many in your group, 12? Large conference events take over the big lounge on many cruises.

How many in your group, 12? Large conference events take over the big lounge on many cruises.

Not sure. I think in years past this event had 80. But since the Dream has rooms specifically for conferences, wouldn't they be held there and not in the lounges?

Not sure. I think in years past this event had 80. But since the Dream has rooms specifically for conferences, wouldn't they be held there and not in the lounges?

I just looked at the deck plans and I don't see anything marked conference room.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it. Do you know which deck?

They like to travel around in herds. On a cruise without a large group, people are moving around in two or threes, so everything keeps moving. Wait until you encounter a herd in the hallway.

A lot of them also seems to think they are more special being with a group for some reason.

I will not cruise with a large group of anything again.

Agree. It's more problematic for all other guests and the ship's security than it is beneficial to the herds. Contain them all and put them in a conference room or daytime lounge out of the way!

Edited by eponym

I just looked at the deck plans and I don't see anything marked conference room.

Deck 4 MIDSHIP near the FunHub Internet stations

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/Ships/DR/DeckPlans/Dream-Deck-Plan-PDFpdf.pdf

ETA: Google says it can hold up to 232 and has dividers/partions to be made smaller rooms

Edited by LilMissScareAll

It's called "the conference room" which is fairly large has its own stage and is midship deck four.

Actually groups having seminars or midday meetings free up considerable space on the Lido deck for all the sun worshippers.

Besides groups do not add to the passenger count in any way. A sold cabin is a sold cabin no matter who is occupying it. The generalizations about "groups" are absurd.

It's called "the conference room" which is fairly large has its own stage and is midship deck four.

Actually groups having seminars or midday meetings free up considerable space on the Lido deck for all the sun worshippers.

Besides groups do not add to the passenger count in any way. A sold cabin is a sold cabin no matter who is occupying it. The generalizations about "groups" are absurd.

Seems even Carnival wouldn't even agree with you. We complained after the speakeasy next to the disco was closed to the public 7 nights for a group.

We got 30% off the best price for our next cruise, in which we were able to cover for 8 people.

Onc cruise cancelled due to big group booking. They were people afflicted with Hiv-Aids. Due to immune suppressing drugs I take to control Rheumatoid arthritis, I cancelled.

One large family Reunion. Horrible people. Everywhere. had clubs booked for private parties. The teen age boys in the groups would stand outside and harass people who went by. It was on the Glory. Out of Port Canaveral. One night they were harassing Asian kids who were at the Sushi stand. Getting in their faces. I personally went and got some Officers and asked that they put some security there before a beat down happened.

Never did it before.

Never did it again.

UGH. never again

On a group cruise with basket weavers. From the Islands off of Georgia. Worked in the MDR in the afternoon. Had straw designs on their doors. Would let people walk through and see their baskets. I bought one.Lovely people.

A group of fat gay bears with lots of whiskers. In speedos. who had the Aft pool and no one else could go there. I don't swim. I thought they were out of line when they made pictures. Lots of kids on board. grown men hugging. Cheek to cheek. Very romantic. I don't like it when straight people do that in public. Didn't like it then. Would like to have seen a lot less of them.

Groups...............ugh. space closed. Family groups....big ones. Worst. really don't like those.

I sound like a witch. I am sorry. I am being honest. Usually........not much bothers me.

We got 30% off the best price for our next cruise, in which we were able to cover for 8 people.

A future credit is any company's way of soothing the soul without having to give up anything. I am sure the credit isn't based on discount pricing but on full fare...that which is often much more even with the discount than shopping around for cheap fares.

Okay, now I see it.

Don't know how I missed that...it's right there, plain as day!

A future credit is any company's way of soothing the soul without having to give up anything. I am sure the credit isn't based on discount pricing but on full fare...that which is often much more even with the discount than shopping around for cheap fares.

As I already stated, the 30% was off our best fare.

There are probably only 2 groups I wouldn't want to sail with. A Richard Simmons exercise weight loss group, and an Amway group.

Oh, I can think of a few more than that.

I would prefer they provide a public schedule of the formal group bookings and the group's purpose in advance, so we can choose whether to sail on that date or not.

Can I ask, just out of pure curiosity, what is the reason for not wanting to be booked on a cruise with a group? I'm booked as part of a group for my Oct cruise, and I can't imagine why we would be nothing anyone. We will be doing seminars on the ship and themed excursions, but that's about it.

We have been on 3 different CCL cruises with "groups" and I mean groups of 800-900. The first was on the Triumph with WWII Aircraft Carrier USS Wasp folks. They had rocking chairs all over the ship. They were not an issue as they were older and went to bed earlier so the ship was empty for the late shows etc...that was OK.

The 2nd cruise was with about 900 LGBT folks.....they took over "privately" every venue including night club, bars etc. This was disconcerting as they would use and book private parties in all these venues and we could not use them...we were paying pax too....so this was not good!

The 3rd cruise we were on was the Victory with about 850 accordian playing, polka dancing folks as a "group". This cruise we hit bad weather, so the ship did not port at 2 of the 3 ports....thus being unable to pick up and switch entertainers....thus we had NO CCL entertainment (no bands in lobby, no comedians, no entertainers in theatre except CCL shows etc).....for FIVE days of the 7. So the accordian folks, offered to PLAY EVERYWHERE on the ship.....can you image Lawrence Welk (for you older folks) music EVERYWHERE on that ship??? My 2 sons sequestered themselves in the cabin....awful, awful, awful!

So that is why some people like to know if there is a BIG group and by BIG I mean 800 or more in a group on the ship. They TAKE OVER the ship and the balance of the paying pax can suffer from it!! It has nothing to do with racism or bigotry for us....it is the size of the GROUP taking over the ship and excluding us from various venues that we don't like. So we skip the BIG GROUPS when we can!!

Edited by buddylover

I am going to make an assumption that :pwhen possible;) one avoids planing a cruise vacation during obviously challenging times (College Spring Breaks, Holidays, Summers with large families with small kids), so the thread is regarding large groups during what should be "quieter" weeks....large groups are on almost any sailing these days and the Cruise Line Corporate Group Department works very closely with the group leader and onboard CD staff to try to balance the impact that the large groups have on the balance of the guests...having been both a part of a large group (1000+) and being impacted as a regular guest not a part of a large group...I think overall a balance is found, because they are use to dealing with it especially if the large group sails with them every year around the same time (i.e. High Seas Rally)

IMHO....3 factors play a major role.....the size of the ship (newer mega ships are more condusive to successful scheduling logistics for large groups)....the make up of the large group and your preconceived perception of onboard behavior for that group (800 Nuns on a Spirtual Retreat vs 800 NFL Cheerleaders Alumni Reunion)...one's attitude about life in general and making the best of changes in vacation plans (stuff happens which opens up the door for new adventures & memories)

In the case of bad weather causing 2 of 3 Ports to be missed,(which can be a downer) the Accordian Folks offered a nice gesture (that they did not have to) to work with the CD to try to make the best of the situation for ALL guests...when large groups "take over" certain venues that actually opens up other venues on the ship that are under utilized and a good CD plans for alternative activities for the balance of the guests

Don't allow a large group to impact the enjoyment of your cruise...you never know one day your Son might have a crush on a cute girl who plays the Accordian and her Grandparents were on that cruise

Oh, I can think of a few more than that.

I would prefer they provide a public schedule of the formal group bookings and the group's purpose in advance, so we can choose whether to sail on that date or not.

That is exactly why they will never do it... can you imagine if you knew that a family reunion of 300+ of (name your ethnic/religion/area of the country/etc)somethings was posted? There would be lots of cruisers that would never book that cruise.

"Groups" are on every cruise, some just more organized than others. Family groups, church groups, special interest groups, wedding parties. Corporations will often award their best contributors with cruises as well as using cruises as training seminars. For the most part other cruisers will never even notice the groups, however large unless the group decides to dress alike.

On every cruise I have been on public rooms are allocated throughout the day for special occasions. And some groups do tend to meet up together socially.

So, if people don't like traveling with groups cruising isn't the best mode of vacation. I promise you they are on every ship for every sailing.

Not a true statement....there are groups, then there are HUGE GROUPS. A church group, a wedding party, a family group or a group of friends is quite different from 800-900 people in a GROUP, where the ship's venues are utilized by the group and off limits to the balance of the ship's pax. It makes a tremendous difference in the cruising experience to be on board with a HUGE GROUP that totals 1/3 of the passenger capacity and takes over the ship. THis CANNOT be compared to a wedding party or a church group or a family group. You clearly misunderstand the magnitude of what a GROUP can mean on a cruise ship.

Don't assume that cruising is NOT "the best mode of vacation" because a wedding party or family group is onboard....I think there is a vast difference in the definintion of GROUP. A "group" of 20, 50 or even 100 is rarely noticed or felt. But a GROUP of 800 IS FELT, SEEN and NOTICED!! Let us not be confused, and thus understand what constitutes a GROUP before making such blanket statements.

Edited by buddylover

So don't call them groups, call it what they are:" conventions at sea." Last year I was on a Fantasy class ship with 1,906 multi-level marketers of health supplements from Asia. You could have fit all the non-conventioneers in one lifeboat and sometimes I wish they had so I could escape the chaos created by the pushing and shoving masses. Please, never again!

Buddylover...is it a fair statement to state that you would never be a part of a large (800+) group to go on a cruise if invited (Greek, college, occupational, sports theme, affinity, work sales incentive etc) for fear of the reaction of the non group members to your group

So don't call them groups, call it what they are:" conventions at sea." Last year I was on a Fantasy class ship with 1,906 multi-level marketers of health supplements from Asia. You could have fit all the non-conventioneers in one lifeboat and sometimes I wish they had so I could escape the chaos created by the pushing and shoving masses. Please, never again!

Now that's just wrong... basically a chartered ship that you got thrown onto. I rarely complain but that might have been one that would have cause a conversation with staff....

Something does not :confused:add up:confused:...an older Fantasy Class ship holds alittle more than 2000...if the group in question was 1906, it would have been cheaper for the group to charter the entire vessel....did you book your cabin far in advance (prior to the group booking) or in the last 100 days (after final payment for the group) before sailing

Something does not :confused:add up:confused:...an older Fantasy Class ship holds alittle more than 2000...if the group in question was 1906, it would have been cheaper for the group to charter the entire vessel....did you book your cabin far in advance (prior to the group booking) or in the last 100 days (after final payment for the group) before sailing

No, it adds up. I called my PVP 10 days out and booked an interior at a very good rate. I assumed while I was on board the convention had some cancellations and these cabins were released for sale.