Disapointted

A high school buddy of mine is an executive with one of the major, actually I think the biggest airline in the world, and we've talked about the various tricks and workarounds people have come up with to game the airfare system. The airlines are very aware of the tricks. Thanks to the Internet, where folks just have to brag in the open about how clever they are, the airlines continue to close more and more loopholes. Of course the airlines, even without help from the airfare gamers, are trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of passengers. Fees for checked bags, up charges for better seats, charges for meals, etc., etc., are certainly known to those of us who fly regularly. And one the things you might notice.....round trip tickets are not always a better bargain than a one-way ticket to the same destination.

Here we go again. I know what cruz chic is saying and understand. If a formal night menu was posted on this thread I haven't seen it or how extensive it was' date=' but again it's all about expectations. After years of having the best menus and more expensive dishes on formal nights, just because the cruise line might want to cut back they certainly can expect negative customer feedback if expectations aren't met. Formal nights on HAL for years have meant lobster, King Crab, prime rib, a better steak than usual, jumbo shrimp. (And saying lobster used to be poor man's food is entirely beside the point. It certainly isn't now.) Any pasta dish on the formal menu should be truly special. Or.....better yet, if the menu is going downhill, just forget the whole formal thing.[/quote']

Thank you, cruisin' girl, for attempting to explain what the other poster intended. But I did not misunderstand (or disagree with) her post insofar as it expressed her opinion that HAL service has declined. What I disagreed with was her dogmatic (and incorrect) statement of fact that the tortellini on the Formal Night MDR menu pasta was not "better food" (and can be had out of a box for $5) when (as she later admitted) she does not even eat pasta and thus had no factual basis for her condemnation of the tortellini on the menu.

The point is that everyone who chooses to post on CC is entitled to his/her opinion but not to his/her own facts. Additionally, when someone disagrees with a person's opinion, it is by definition "personal" but not necessarily an "attack" on the person. Unfortunately, some people on CC apparently believe that only their opinions (and "facts") matter and bristle when others disagree with them.

Again, thank you for your attempt to spread oil on troubled waters.

A high school buddy of mine is an executive with one of the major, actually I think the biggest airline in the world, and we've talked about the various tricks and workarounds people have come up with to game the airfare system. The airlines are very aware of the tricks. Thanks to the Internet, where folks just have to brag in the open about how clever they are, the airlines continue to close more and more loopholes. Of course the airlines, even without help from the airfare gamers, are trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of passengers. Fees for checked bags, up charges for better seats, charges for meals, etc., etc., are certainly known to those of us who fly regularly. And one the things you might notice.....round trip tickets are not always a better bargain than a one-way ticket to the same destination

Passengers are not being squeezed at all, they pay ridiculous little amounts for Airfare nowadays actually. Passengers are unwilling to pay a decent amount for their travel nowadays. It are the Airline employees, and especially the Flightcrew who are squeezed like a lemon.

I've read that too, but I'm not really sure how enforceable it is, especially since both times I've done it, it was really the airline's handling of the situation that forced me to make other arrangements. I seriously doubt the airlines will be changing the way they do business so I'm not sure that banning future ticket sales is legal or enforceable.

I understand and agree with your point. I wish the courts would rule one way or the other on this, so passengers would know where they stand. So far it seems to be just empty threats from the airlines :(.

A high school buddy of mine is an executive with one of the major, actually I think the biggest airline in the world, and we've talked about the various tricks and workarounds people have come up with to game the airfare system. The airlines are very aware of the tricks. Thanks to the Internet, where folks just have to brag in the open about how clever they are, the airlines continue to close more and more loopholes. Of course the airlines, even without help from the airfare gamers, are trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of passengers. Fees for checked bags, up charges for better seats, charges for meals, etc., etc., are certainly known to those of us who fly regularly. And one the things you might notice.....round trip tickets are not always a better bargain than a one-way ticket to the same destination.

We have a pilot for a major Canadian airline involved in DD's gymnastics. We always talk at competitions as my mum was a retiree of the same airline. He just shakes his head at what corporate is doing. He knows they are losing business because of the decisions made and says that nobody in corporate has fixed their gaze "down the runway" for the long-term effects of the squeeze them physically and financially mentality. But he doesn't see it changing anytime soon.