Disapointted

Could not agree more with your comments.

Cannot imagine why someone would bother commenting about issues on a specific cruise. Why bother? The exactly how many cars on the road comment says it all.

People believe what they want to believe. It is important for some HAL cruisers to believe that they are sailing on a premium cruise line that is perfect in all respects. They will not accept, and will reject any data that refutes this belief.

When we ask friends for travel advice, what not to do or where not to go is often as, or more important and valuable to us as the where to go and what to do.

Edited by iancal

As I said, I started in 2009 and haven't noticed that many cutbacks. It I had started cruising in 2000, I might have noticed............:)

Mrs Banjo & I began cruising in 1990. We have seen dramatic changes since then. Some changes are good, the ships are far better today than they were back then, but the service, food, and crew moral have all declined significantly. Over all, I would say cruising is still ok for the price paid, but personally we are willing, and often do, pay more for better quality.

I wanted to take this opportunity to extend thanks to weluvcrusin. As an experienced "cruiser," you have expressed your disappointment in Holland America Line. Your comments are useful for me as I plan future vacations and cruises. This may not be the forum for articulating your observations and concerns. The regulars (HAL cheerleaders) have subjected you to the usual cross-examination. You have been quite clear in your comments. You have stressed that HAL has gone downhill. You have specific examples for your disappointment, including unsatisfactory cleaning of your room, unsatisfactory meals in the MDR, unsatisfactory food, poor lectures, and overpriced tours. I value your comments as it lends some balance and credibility to this forum. To be quite frank, there are too many regulars who just cannot accept that some people experience "bad things" on Holland America cruises. I admire your honesty and courage in posting your comments. Good luck on future cruising!

GlennG, great post that is so on target. Thanks so much.

I shake my head when some of the vehement posters on this board try to undermine any poster who dares criticize. I've been on the receiving end of vitriol myself. I was blown up after posting negative comments about Prinsendam, it was like I had criticized someone's child.

To the original poster, my recent experiences on HAL were not good.. I understand you were telling your story in honest fashion. And I'm sorry that your feet were held to the fire.

GlennG, great post that is so on target. Thanks so much.

I shake my head when some of the vehement posters on this board try to undermine any poster who dares criticize. I've been on the receiving end of vitriol myself. I was blown up after posting negative comments about Prinsendam, it was like I had criticized someone's child.

To the original poster, my recent experiences on HAL were not good.. I understand you were telling your story in honest fashion. And I'm sorry that your feet were held to the fire.

There are posters on here that can't stand anyone saying anything about their precious Prinsendam. The op didn't just complain about issues. When you start attacking other posters that's going too far. Surely you don't think that's acceptable, do you? You didn't like it, why would others?

There are posters on here that can't stand anyone saying anything about their precious Prinsendam. The op didn't just complain about issues. When you start attacking other posters that's going too far. Surely you don't think that's acceptable, do you? You didn't like it, why would others?

Perhaps the posts attacking others have been deleted. I don't want anyone attacked.

What we are noticing on cruise lines is growing inconsistencies between cruises/ships of the same line.

/QUOTE]

I agree with that and it is a problem. If the cruise line cannot get consistently excellent crew onboard, perhaps they have too many ships and should cut back.

Could not agree more with your comments.

People believe what they want to believe. It is important for some HAL cruisers to believe that they are sailing on a premium cruise line that is perfect in all respects. They will not accept, and will reject any data that refutes this belief.

One issue is the inconsistency onboard the ships. If one goes on one ship with it's crew, they expect the same service on another ship owned by the same cruise line.

Well, I won't dispute that.

I will say, however, that my experience with HAL is that they bend over backwards to warn, when needed, that a shorex may/will not be the standard one that HAL usually does.

My example of some ports on the Tahiti cruise: shorex brochures and the shorex department were very, very clear that the bus would not be a standard bus (pick-up truck in some ports, withe plank seats), no A/C, the restroom breaks would be few or non-existent, etc. It was always very clear what we were getting into. I hope HAL does this with all non-standard shorex.

They did the same thing in a number of ports in Iceland on VOV. So, the question is whether the warning was there on the Shorex that the OP posted about.

Edited by Jade13

I think a good part of the "bad" cruise some have had began with the entitled passenger who felt they did not need to report their illness as to not ruin their cruise. No regard for their fellow passengers. And it snowballed from there.

Exactly!

Well We are 4* Mariners. Have cruised 30 years on many cruise lines (mostly Hal. But will look else where) and our last 2 cruises have gone downhill. Even the Room Steward said he was so sorry that he couldn't do a better job. Just had to many rooms. We had dining at 5;30 and were lucky the make the 800 pm night show( which was very poor as well) The meals were either over cooked or under done. The Lecturer was boring and poorly attend. The tours were very over priced (OldBusses) I could go on for more' date=' but I will tell you all that the service was VERY BAD[/quote']

The OP, weluvcruisin, explained the issues they had under this post #18, so do not understand why some keeping saying that they did not explain their disappointment. Their experience included poor cleaning of their stateroom, slow meals, poor meals, poor shows, poor lecturers, and poor shore excursions.

This is their opinion of their last two HAL cruises and obviously others have had different experiences.

Edited by Jade13

[quote name=Tampa Girl;46641903

First' date=' it is easy to be a "cheerleader" when an OP comes on with a poor attitude, if not actually rude, toward other posters; and refuses to give the specific instances despite many requests. The criticisms referred to in the quote are generalities, not specifics.

[/quote]

My first thought. Got grouchy fast. That makes people avoid you even on a cruise ship.

I'm bored. I hate vague posts like this. How about some specifics?

When we have listed specifics ( in the past) we always get flamed by the "cheerleaders." If folks choose to believe that HAL has not degraded its product in the past few years some of us might think they are delusional.

R

When we have listed specifics ( in the past) we always get flamed by the "cheerleaders." If folks choose to believe that HAL has not degraded its product in the past few years some of us might think they are delusional.

Yes, anyone that says anything positive about hal is a cheerleader. I've seen very, very few people on this board that believe the hal is a premium cruise line. I think it's slipped a lot in the last 6 months. That said, some posters never have anything good to say about hal. I would not spend one red cent on a cruise line that I feel has no redeeming qualities. That's the way I feel about celebrity. It has the worst service and food of any cruise lines I've tried. If I posted that on the celebrity board I'd be eaten alive.

Edited by cruz chic

R

Yes, anyone that says anything positive about hal is a cheerleader. I've seen very, very few people on this board that believe the hal is a premium cruise line. I think it's slipped a lot in the last 6 months. That said, some posters never have anything good to say about hal. I would not spend one red cent on a cruise line that I feel has no redeeming qualities. That's the way I feel about celebrity. It has the worst service and food of any cruise lines I've tried. If I posted that on the celebrity board I'd be eaten alive.

I have been following this discussion and feeling perplexed. I, like you, don't see myself as a HAL cheerleader. However, having only done 3 cruises, Disney Dream, Celebrity Reflection Aqua Class and most recently HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, we feel that HAL came out on top for a variety of reasons. We thought the food over all was better and fresher than Celebrity. We loved being able to eat breakfast everyday in the MDR. Room service was WAY better than Disney or Celebrity.

While there may be a less wow factor on the HAL ships, we felt that HAL provided a more intimate and refined cruising experience regardless of the type of cabin you purchased. We loved that aspect! That said, we will be cruising on the Westerdam in August making our second HAL cruise and our first repeat. [emoji41]

Could that much change since our cruise in January? I think we were on the same cruise! Is that right??

Either way I am excited about my second HAL cruise on my 1st visit to Alaska! And I read this forum to get pumped for my next vacation!!!

Osterdamn April 19th to May 10th. Last cruise was last fall and no I don't want a free cruise. Just want to get what I paid for

We were on the same cruise and thought everything was great. We were on Deck 6 and had fantastic room stewards. Also I thought the food was very good and the selections were O.K. Our waiter was excellent and had our table(late seating) ready to leave at 9:15 or 9:30 every night. The ship was spotless.

You are right about some of the buses. The one we used in Kauai was a disgrace

Hopefully you will find a cruise line you won't be disappointed in.

Janet

JR42

I have been following this discussion and feeling perplexed. I, like you, don't see myself as a HAL cheerleader. However, having only done 3 cruises, Disney Dream, Celebrity Reflection Aqua Class and most recently HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, we feel that HAL came out on top for a variety of reasons. We thought the food over all was better and fresher than Celebrity. We loved being able to eat breakfast everyday in the MDR. Room service was WAY better than Disney or Celebrity.

While there may be a less wow factor on the HAL ships, we felt that HAL provided a more intimate and refined cruising experience regardless of the type of cabin you purchased. We loved that aspect! That said, we will be cruising on the Westerdam in August making our second HAL cruise and our first repeat. [emoji41]

Could that much change since our cruise in January? I think we were on the same cruise! Is that right??

Either way I am excited about my second HAL cruise on my 1st visit to Alaska! And I read this forum to get pumped for my next vacation!!!

No, I wasn't on a cruise in January. I was on a cruise in November, March and May. It may seem silly but I was laid off this year in January and I've been packing a few cruises in. I got a fairly good severence and I likely shouldn't be spending it but it's been a bit of a rough year for other reasons. Hal is still my favorite for one of the reasons you stated. I just love breakfast although I often choose the same few things. Hal has so many options. I love that you can stay in your cabin until you leave. I love the tamarind. I love that they make you feel special for the most part on their ships. That said, on my last cruise I really felt that they food had gone down in quality on formal nights. They used to have a few nice selections. Not now. One of the choices on formal night was cheese tortellini. That's formal? I know this sounds petty but it just seems to be the cheapening of what was once a special night. I just wish hal would stop these bargain sell offs so it could keep some resemblance to something sorta special. What's next? Kraft dinner on formal night?

Edited by cruz chic

That said, on my last cruise I really felt that they food had gone down in quality on formal nights. They used to have a few nice selections. Not now. One of the choices on formal night was cheese tortellini. That's formal? I know this sounds petty but it just seems to be the cheapening of what was once a special night. I just wish hal would stop these bargain sell offs so it could keep some resemblance to something sorta special. What's next? Kraft dinner on formal night?

It could be that cheese tortellini is on the because that's what was available in the kitchen -- supply orders could have been mishandled at one of the ports so the chef had to make a menu with that was available. But it would also be that it's on the menu because people have ordered it consistently on other cruises. What's the point of putting something on the menu only a handful of passengers order, when many more will order the tortellini? That's not cost-effective.

Also, was the cheese tortellini the vegetarian option? Having had the vegetarian options on formal nights, I can say I would much rather have had cheese tortellini. I found them pretty to look at but they were either bland and flavorless or such an odd combination of tastes that it was impossible to eat. I had the kitchen make me a plate of pasta with butter one time simply because the vegetarian option was dreadful.

It could be that cheese tortellini is on the because that's what was available in the kitchen -- supply orders could have been mishandled at one of the ports so the chef had to make a menu with that was available. But it would also be that it's on the menu because people have ordered it consistently on other cruises. What's the point of putting something on the menu only a handful of passengers order, when many more will order the tortellini? That's not cost-effective.

Also, was the cheese tortellini the vegetarian option? Having had the vegetarian options on formal nights, I can say I would much rather have had cheese tortellini. I found them pretty to look at but they were either bland and flavorless or such an odd combination of tastes that it was impossible to eat. I had the kitchen make me a plate of pasta with butter one time simply because the vegetarian option was dreadful.

No, that's not what happened at all. It's just like saying people aren't dressed for formal because their luggage was lost. I've checked menus from other cruises in this time frame. The cheese tortellini was on there too. I didn't want the lobster but there was nothing else to choose from, not even chicken. Not one person ordered the tortellini at the large table I sat at. Clearly it's not popular at all. Hal needs to quit the farce of formal nights. I'm not interested in getting dressed up for Kraft dinner.

No, that's not what happened at all. It's just like saying people aren't dressed for formal because their luggage was lost. I've checked menus from other cruises in this time frame. The cheese tortellini was on there too. I didn't want the lobster but there was nothing else to choose from, not even chicken. Not one person ordered the tortellini at the large table I sat at. Clearly it's not popular at all. Hal needs to quit the farce of formal nights. I'm not interested in getting dressed up for Kraft dinner.

Was it the vegetarian option? I hardly think cheese tortellini is the same as Kraft Mac & Cheese. That's like saying Prime Rib is the same as Hamburger Steak. I don't care for Prime Rib or Duck, so most formal nights it's difficult for me to find a good option. But I'm certain there was actually something else to choose from. I have never been on a cruise with only Lobster or Pasta as choices in the main dining room, even on a non-formal night. There have been several nights when I did not care for any of the options, but thankfully those are few and far between. And with that evening's menu available before lunch, it was always easy to check to see if I should skip dinner in favor of a late lunch or another option.

Was it the vegetarian option? I hardly think cheese tortellini is the same as Kraft Mac & Cheese. That's like saying Prime Rib is the same as Hamburger Steak. I don't care for Prime Rib or Duck, so most formal nights it's difficult for me to find a good option. But I'm certain there was actually something else to choose from. I have never been on a cruise with only Lobster or Pasta as choices in the main dining room, even on a non-formal night. There have been several nights when I did not care for any of the options, but thankfully those are few and far between. And with that evening's menu available before lunch, it was always easy to check to see if I should skip dinner in favor of a late lunch or another option.

I have no idea if it was the vegitarian option. They don't split it out like it normally is on other nights. There was about 4 options. I believe it was a veal chop, tortellini, fish and lobster. Prime rib is never on a formal night. You may think tortellini is fancy but it's a cheap as can be. You may think this is a fancy dinner but it most certainly is not for those that have seen much better not even 6 months ago. You can pretty it up any way you like. That is not formal. While I've always dressed in a formal manner, I think I should dress to match the quality of food served. I think yoga pants would be in order.

Edited by cruz chic

I have no idea if it was the vegitarian option. They don't split it out like it normally is on other nights. There was about 4 options. I believe it was a veal chop, tortellini, fish and lobster. Prime rib is never on a formal night. You may think tortellini is fancy but it's a cheap as can be. You may think this is a fancy dinner but it most certainly is not for those that have seen much better not even 6 months ago. You can pretty it up any way you like. That is not formal. While I've always dressed in a formal manner, I think I should dress to match the quality of food served. I think yoga pants would be in order.

That does not sound like a formal night menu to me! Better than yoga pants level, but definitely not formal. No chicken or beef (I suppose the veal chop represented "meat"), but fish and lobster? Very strange. Did you have another formal night? Was the menu better?

That is exactly why we seldom bother with formal night in the MDR any more. It is no longer special in any way for us. On HAL or on other cruise lines.

I cannot see DW putting on her best togs and her Sunday beads for a plate of tortellini-cheese or otherwise!

Edited by iancal

I don't let the level of dress define the menu or the menu define the level of dress. Food is not inherently "formal" or "informal." I've had McDonald's in black tie, and I've had Beef Wellington in shorts & t-shirts.

There is nothing "informal" about tortellini, just as there is nothing "formal" abut steamed lobster. In fact, I'd really rather the lobster on an informal night, because it has a greater tendency to drip and formal clothing is usually complicated to clean, while more casual clothing can be machine washed and dried.

That does not sound like a formal night menu to me! Better than yoga pants level, but definitely not formal. No chicken or beef (I suppose the veal chop represented "meat"), but fish and lobster? Very strange. Did you have another formal night? Was the menu better?

We had 4 formal nights in 2 weeks. I've always gone to every formal night as I always felt it was special. I decided to skip the first one and the other 3 I struggled to find something I liked. I went back to the always available menu for starters. I had lobster 2 of the nights and sole the other. Sole is not fancy either to me. I have it often for supper at home.