Computer question

shootingstar07

My friend will be bringing his Mac Air on our October Royal cruise. Do any of you techies know if the Mac Air will connect wirelessly? A few cruises back, he said it did not and the mgr of the Internet cafe claimed it was an Apple issue with the wireless card.

Has anyone successfully used a Mac Air wirelessly on a recent cruise? Could it be some proprietary issue and he needs to talk to Apple?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kathleen

My friend will be bringing his Mac Air on our October Royal cruise. Do any of you techies know if the Mac Air will connect wirelessly? A few cruises back, he said it did not and the mgr of the Internet cafe claimed it was an Apple issue with the wireless card.

Has anyone successfully used a Mac Air wirelessly on a recent cruise? Could it be some proprietary issue and he needs to talk to Apple?

Kathleen

If it has a wireless card there is no good reason that it would not be able to connect to the Princess Internet.

BTW, I have found that the Internet Cafe managers are not always up to snuff when it comes to technology issues.

Edited by ar1950

I suspect the IT manager knew Zero about Mac's and used it as an excuse.

There s no reason it won't connect, but it may need some tweeking of addresses.

Exactly. I should have added that wireless technology is totally agnostic as far as brands (Mac vs PC) and is only dependent on the wireless protocol of the wireless card. If the friend can connect via wireless on land there is no reason he can't connect to the Princess Internet. I doubt that any "tweaking" is even needed.

Exactly. I should have added that wireless technology is totally agnostic as far as brands (Mac vs PC) and is only dependent on the wireless protocol of the wireless card. If the friend can connect via wireless on land there is no reason he can't connect to the Princess Internet. I doubt that any "tweaking" is even needed.

There may be if someone has changed settings.

It sounds like someone didn't have a clue and hid behind the "Mac is different" thing. Actually, Mac is different but you just have to know where to look. The wireless isn't different but things to check are in different places with Mac and PC.

It sounds like someone didn't have a clue and hid behind the "Mac is different" thing. Actually, Mac is different but you just have to know where to look. The wireless isn't different but things to check are in different places with Mac and PC.

Exactly why I said that the Internet Cafe folks are not always the best when it comes to technology issues. I could tell some stories.....OK, I won't.....:cool:

Kathleen

I'm not a Mac user but I can say that Apple tends to have WiFi issues - they are the strangest interpreters of IEEE standards I've ever seen and tend to have orthogonal engineering solutions (i.e. 90 degrees off normal)... (I retired last year after nearly 30 years work in data communications engineering and architecture)

Macbook Air WiFi issues seem to be common (google "macbook air won't connect to public wifi") and have your friend try the Apple Support recommended solutions out at a Starbucks or similar public WiFi venue since the splash screen logon methods are similar. Lastly - most of the Apple solutions involve updating software/drivers on the Mac ... enough said.

Enjoy!

I suspect the IT manager knew Zero about Mac's and used it as an excuse.

There s no reason it won't connect, but it may need some tweeking of addresses.

Some choose to act as though they know nothing, they know a lot more then you think. :rolleyes:

FYI, the Internet Cafe managers don't work for Princess. I believe they work for the satellite communications company (MTN?)

Hmm, the one on our recent Hawaiian cruise worked for Princess and told us she had been with them for about six months. That being said, she was very rude to guests, and kept telling everyone the log on issues were due to ships location. Ok that's possible but, she was very rude. I called Princess when we returned and told them about her and they were going to pass the info on to whomever needed to hear it. As I said, she was employed by Princess and were very concerned about her attitude.