New ncl kids camp policy (Live from the GEM)

jbiz

Actually, they have. Last year on the Breakaway we were on a sailing with 1600 kids on board. We were turned away one night because they were at capacity. They did try to plan things in other spaces thT could accommodate larger groups. At least with the new policy you know what to expect. Sounds like they are trying to put a process in place to help things run more smoothly.

76 kids when they average 400-600 every sailing

You can no longer call this a family friendly cruise line if they can only accommodate 76 kids for events.

And there is no attempt to find other spaces. 76 hits, rope is up, your on your own.

I don't see any scenario where this makes things run more smoothly.

As someone pointed out earlier, people will just start camping out for tickets, this will get ugly fast. The line was already crazy this morning on day one

I now have to just make sure I have alternate plans for the kids since the can no longer come and go as they wish. They want to sleep in a little, nope sorry., You must get to camp by 9am or you won't be allowed in later and I have to get up early to get a place in line and do it 3 times a day. Fantastic vacation. Thanks ncl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had 1500 kids on our sailing on the Jewel in March, and there was NEVER trouble getting the kids in. (3 and 6). Of course, we did line up early to drop them off...

That being said, we also registered them the instant we boarded the ship. I know others in the cruise were not allowed to register if they didnt do it day 1

Edited by Starflyr3

Actually, they have. Last year on the Breakaway we were on a sailing with 1600 kids on board. We were turned away one night because they were at capacity. They did try to plan things in other spaces thT could accommodate larger groups. At least with the new policy you know what to expect. Sounds like they are trying to put a process in place to help things run more smoothly.

I'm sorry one night is not every day and a policy that allows people to stand in line with the chance to have unhappy and completely disappointed children is a policy to help things run more smoothly.

In what world?

I can't see even the most ardent cheerleaders of NCL supporting this. But I'm sure they will.

We definitely faced this on the Star for our March 29th cruise. Our son is 7 and we had to line up 30 minutes early if we wanted to make sure he had his spot in the kids place. He didn't make it a couple of times. :-( I think there was a limit of 50 (don't quote me on the number), but it was for his age group from what I understand.

We are planning a trip on the Getaway for next year. Hope it's not restricted then.

Was on the same cruise, the limit was 50; Kid was #50 the first day for his age group. When one was picked up, another can take its place.

Edited by Philob

I can't see even the most ardent cheerleaders of NCL supporting this. But I'm sure they will.

Hard to say because I don't understand it completely. At the moment it sounds like they for some reason changed the total amount of kids they feel be able to take care of to a much lower number.

And as they know there are much more kids than the new limit they put that process in place.

At the moment the problem is the same with all the recent changes the lack of prior notice and communication

How could that be. If you are on the gem there would have to be something in writing. Can't wait to see this policy in print.

Thank you in advance.

It's probably a safety and personnel restriction that wasn't being enforced before. Every ship has them. For the newer, larger ships the limit might be so high that it won't matter, but the limit is there. Even DLC which arguably is the most kid-friendly cruise line out there, there were several times they were not letting kids into the Oceaneer's Club/Lab because of capacity.

Kids in the kids club don't spend money, kids not in the kids club has the potential to spend money :p

I would say the opposite.

The Kids in kids club parents are free to roam and spend money. Kids not in kids club parents are babysitting and therefore too preoccupied to spend money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jbiz

I'm sorry one night is not every day and a policy that allows people to stand in line with the chance to have unhappy and completely disappointed children is a policy to help things run more smoothly.

In what world?

If the cruise line and governing agency audit found they were beyond capacity, yes, they will enforce the new restrictions immediately, at least until the audit is done.

Not a fan of NCL, in fact, I have yet to cruise with them, but I'm at Gold with DCL, again, arguably the most kid-friendly cruise line in the market, and I have seen first hand turning kids away due to capacity. Due to personnel-to-kid ratio and safety concerns there _is_ a max capacity in all boats from all cruise lines. I'm betting what happened is that they were not enforcing that limit before, and they might have gotten dinged/wrist slapped when the audit result came about.

If the cruise line and governing agency audit found they were beyond capacity, yes, they will enforce the new restrictions immediately, at least until the audit is done.

Not a fan of NCL, in fact, I have yet to cruise with them, but I'm at Gold with DCL, again, arguably the most kid-friendly cruise line in the market, and I have seen first hand turning kids away due to capacity. Due to personnel-to-kid ratio and safety concerns there _is_ a max capacity in all boats from all cruise lines. I'm betting what happened is that they were not enforcing that limit before, and they might have gotten dinged/wrist slapped when the audit result came about.

Everyday? It seems like there would be a chance under this policy that your child might never get into the kids club.

And guessing why the policy is in effect is irrelevant. When we booked our cruise with NCL, we booked with the understanding that....

-Room Service was Included - free of charge

-DSC's were "recommended" to be a certain amount.

-Gratuity was included for all dining options - including Specialty locations.

-Cagney's was included in our UDP

- Food could be brought from the buffet to our cabin

And now of course that our kids could use and enjoy the kids club.

Edited by legion3

Soooo basically they lured a bunch of folks with "Kids Sail Free" but now it's more of a, "you can bring 'em, but we might not watch 'em" scenario? The Norwegian transformation just gets more and more interesting :eek:

Everyday? It seems like there would be a chance under this policy that your child might never get into the kids club.

At peak times, sure, it's a possibility.

And guessing why the policy is in effect is irrelevant.

On the contrary it is completely relevant. Because instead of pointing fingers at NCL for it, people would be more rational and understand why the apparent policy change.

We were on the BA November 2013, 1200 kids. No one was turned away, but some activities were held on other venues - empty lounges, theater, etc. sounds like they don't want a staffing increase, since obviously the found a way to deal with a lot of children in the past. My kids are teens, so this doesn't affect my future cruising, but it would be an issue if they were younger.

And guessing why the policy is in effect is irrelevant. When we booked our cruise with NCL, we booked with the understanding that....

-Room Service was Included - free of charge

-DSC's were "recommended" to be a certain amount.

-Gratuity was included for all dining options - including Specialty locations.

-Cagney's was included in our UDP

- Food could be brought from the buffet to our cabin

And now of course that our kids could use and enjoy the kids club.

Yep, your 100% right. But, there was also a time when there was a midnight buffet on every line (lobster, shrimp, prime rib and every kind of treat you can imagine. We also used to be able to order anything on the ship for room service at no charge. Skeet shooting on the stern with big prizes, at no cost. Golf driving off the ship. All cruise lines did this. They never once sent an email, regular mail or any other communication notifying anyone of any changes, they just changed and when you got on the ship you found out.

Your contract with NCL or any other line is for passage and some meals. You are supposed to be kept as safe as possible and given reasonable care. That's it. Nobody likes to hear this, but if you want change, you have to vote with your wallet. Cancel, book another cruise line. Folks on here with experience already have said that even DCL has capacity controls. If it is inconvenient to stand in line to get you kid in the Kids club, keep them with you and enjoy your "family" vacation. Otherwise, do what you need to to make your kids vacation all that you want it to be. Rallying the same 20-30 people on here that are hoping to make NCL the cruise line you want it to be has not worked. After two months of complaining, NCL has not changed one thing. I don't like every single thing that's changed, but I'm not changing and starting over. It seems some of the mainstream cruise lines have already picked up on NCL's changes and soon many more will follow.

Edited by rvsullivan

At peak times, sure, it's a possibility.

Perhaps

On the contrary it is completely relevant. Because instead of pointing fingers at NCL for it, people would be more rational and understand why the apparent policy change.

nonsense

Especially since they won't be saying anything rational about this change, the same gibberish corporate speak about the other "changes" to policies.

Phooey on why.

Yep, your 100% right. But, there was also a time when there was a midnight buffet on every line (lobster, shrimp, prime rib and every kind of treat you can imagine. We also used to be able to order anything on the ship for room service at no charge. Skeet shooting on the stern with big prizes, at no cost. Golf driving off the ship. All cruise lines did this. They never once sent an email, regular mail or any other communication notifying anyone of any changes, they just changed and when you got on the ship you found out.

Your contract with NCL or any other line is for passage and some meals. You are supposed to be kept as safe as possible and given reasonable care. That's it. Nobody likes to hear this, but if you want change, you have to vote with your wallet. Cancel, book another cruise line. Folks on here with experience already have said that even DCL has capacity controls. If it is inconvenient to stand in line to get you kid in the Kids club, keep them with you and enjoy your "family" vacation. Otherwise, do what you need to to make your kids vacation all that you want it to be. Rallying the same 20-30 people on here that are hoping to make NCL the cruise line you want it to be has not worked. After two months of complaining, NCL has not changed one thing. I don't like every single thing that's changed, but I'm not changing and starting over. It seems some of the mainstream cruise lines have already picked up on NCL's changes and soon many more will follow.

No thanks.

Rallying the same 20-30 people on here that are hoping to make NCL the cruise line you want it to be has not worked. After two months of complaining, NCL has not changed one thing.

Your repetitive approach, whatever it is, has been equally pointless and unproductive as well, since folks still seem to be trying to rally the same 20 or 30, no?

Two months ago, you stated that no one would be dropping NCL because of these changes. Do you stand by that statement?

nonsense

Especially since they won't be saying anything rational about this change, the same gibberish corporate speak about the other "changes" to policies.

Phooey on why.

You are being purposely dense and unnecessarily negative and refusing to see the facts. The most important one is that this change is a safety issue. All cruise lines _have to_ adhere. Not an option. Nothing corporate or sneaky change to get more of your money about this. It doesn't get any clearer than safety.

Some of the changes you refer to were far back in history and have no bearing on the present changes being implemented on NCL.

NCL advertised many booking perks in order to boost the first quarter booking statistics, then made deliberate changes so these perks could not be used by many who were lured by the promotions.

Some examples -- Reduction of the size of Cagney's on the Star which made it very difficult to get reservations. This coincides with the UDP promo.

Reduction of the number of drink servers on the pool deck which made it difficult and time consuming to get a drink This coincides with the UBP promo.

Restriction of the "kids club capacity. This coincides with the KSF promo.

There are other changes but I believe I have pointed out the deliberate changes that NCL has done in conjunction with the promos.

Jbiz

This is CRAZY, I don't get this at all. Could it be a staffing issue on the ship?

I have seen your name pop up on so many threads over the years. You have lots of credibility here. It just does not add up.

Is there a sign or posting up somewhere. I'm A TA. I have clients sailing on BA, GA, Star, Gem, Epic in the near future Most with preteen. There will be fist fights on your cruise before weeks end.

A part of me wishes this was a joke. But you would have no reason to do so.

Anyway enjoy the week the best you can

You are being purposely dense and unnecessarily negative and refusing to see the facts. The most important one is that this change is a safety issue. All cruise lines _have to_ adhere. Not an option. Nothing corporate or sneaky change to get more of your money about this. It doesn't get any clearer than safety.

More nonsense.

This is not a safety issue, it wasn't a year ago, it wasn't last week, it suddenly became one when 76 kids became "to many".

Like when no food from the buffet became a clean ship issue.

Phooey on NCL

Some of the changes you refer to were far back in history and have no bearing on the present changes being implemented on NCL.

NCL advertised many booking perks in order to boost the first quarter booking statistics, then made deliberate changes so these perks could not be used by many who were lured by the promotions.

Some examples -- Reduction of the size of Cagney's on the Star which made it very difficult to get reservations. This coincides with the UDP promo.

Reduction of the number of drink servers on the pool deck which made it difficult and time consuming to get a drink This coincides with the UBP promo.

Restriction of the "kids club capacity. This coincides with the KSF promo.

There are other changes but I believe I have pointed out the deliberate changes that NCL has done in conjunction with the promos.

I 100% understand your frustration. But the way you make your point, screams conspiracy theory.

I can give you some insight.

1) Cag's on the Star was made smaller. one reason is it was not booking to capacity.

2) The KSF, they been doing it forever. Why change it now. Why piss everyone off.

3) waitstaff shortage. NOPE. It's the shnurra's. That kept the staff in a frenzy. Someone posted a video on YouTube last month. Is was on the GA, it was narrated by a passenger "it is so crazy on board, the waiters look like they want to jump off the ship... Stupid drink promo....

So that's my take.

This is not a safety issue, it wasn't a year ago, it wasn't last week, it suddenly became one when 76 kids became "to many".

I disagree. It most certainly is a safety issue.

Even though it was not a kid's club activity, when a child drowns on a ship there will be a STRONG push to enforce capacity and safety rules...whether people like it or not. Based on recent events, its hardly surprising that that these policies are being enforced on the Gem.

LOTS of drama in this thread :rolleyes:...amazing how upset some people get when faced with the fact that their own children might have to spend time with them on their "family vacation". Gone are the days when you could just dump your kids off and let someone else worry about them while you're out having fun.