My first cruise on Carnival (and my last!)

I'm sorry you had an awful cruise but I agree you should have done some research. I have heard 3 day cruises aren't generally as good as 7 day IMO. We don't do shorter cruises because we have to fly so not worth it. But we went on a cruise a year ago with our friends who have been married 50+ years to celebrate their anniversary. She was in a wheelchair and everyone was awesome and offered to help. We have done 23 Carnival cruises and have never had a bad cruise. But to each their own.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was getting a massage, and I told the technician that I did NOT want them touching my feet, as soon as they did, I would have gotten off the table and left, demanding my money back. Obviously, she must have stayed for the entire massage, so it couldn't have been as bad as she states it was!!

And again with the hair salon!! First off, I would NEVER get my hair dyed on a ship. And if was NOT done to my specifications, I wouldn't have paid for that, either!!!

It's the same things I would have done on land if I was not satisfied with the service.

Sounds like the OP wants to blame everyone BUT herself for her problems to me..

I have never been on the Imagination, isn't it a Fantasy class? What suite (other than owners suite) has a balcony that looks down on a public area?

The so called Junior Balcony Suites on Verandah Deck

The so called Junior Balcony Suites on Verandah Deck

Ah, never knew those were there...must be some sort of privacy there. I think they just call those balcony rooms on every other class of ship.

I have never been on the Imagination, isn't it a Fantasy class? What suite (other than owners suite) has a balcony that looks down on a public area?

The "Ocean Suites" on the Verandah Deck. The word "suite" is a stretch. They are not much bigger than standard oceanview staterooms on newer ships, and the balconies are smaller at only 20 sq ft. They do overlook at a promenade below, and the ones closer to the front lack privacy due to a public deck that extends out. The ones farther back are obstructed by lifeboats.

As with all "suites" on Carnival, they come with zero perks besides priority embarkation. So anybody expecting any special treatment because they booked one of these suites should think twice before they waste their money,

I am normally appreciative of both the good and the bad reviews and I don't understand why some people come on here and slam someone for any littler negative comment. However, most people can find at least a couple of positive things to say. I've been on 4 carnival cruises and I just find it hard to believe that all the staff was terrible. Even when i didn't like my room, I loved my room steward. Even when I didn't love the food, I loved the MDR staff.

And if on crutches and traveling solo, she could have eaten in the MDR, or ordered room service since she was often crying in her room anyway, or asked for help at the buffet, from someone cleaning tables, not expected someone at the dessert station to leave his station. She could have talked to the maitre d to have her table reassigned. It seems that she did nothing to make her cruise more enjoyable. The fact that she even used the words "I felt discriminated against" and talks about "attempts to segregate me" speaks volumes about the OP.

Wow, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Some of your complaints are very valid! Especially the massage - I would also be very upset about that happening. My feet hurt just thinking about it!

I also think the crew should have been more proactive about helping. Yes, it's important to notify Carnival about any special needs, but it sounds like you hadn't planned on being on crutches, and thus may not have had that on your radar. I think if someone is visibly struggling, a crew member should probably offer to help, but it's sort of a fine line, since they may not wish to offend you.

I'm always amazed how when people have valid complaints, the excuse is always "Well, it's a cruise salon, (or whatever else) what did you expect?" Personally, I feel that while it is probably wise to have lower expectations, I don't think we should just excuse bad service. How will anything ever be improved if the shortcomings are not acknowledged?

Wow, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Some of your complaints are very valid! Especially the massage - I would also be very upset about that happening. My feet hurt just thinking about it!

I actually had chills when I read that part.

Sorry you had a bad cruise. The problem I have with your story is you expected everyone to know what you wanted without even asking. If you don't ask for help people don't know you need it.

Also not all people on crutches are disabled so please watch when you use that word. Also not all people want help. It is called wanting independence.

Sorry you had a bad cruise. The problem I have with your story is you expected everyone to know what you wanted without even asking. If you don't ask for help people don't know you need it.

Also not all people on crutches are disabled so please watch when you use that word. Also not all people want help. It is called wanting independence.

I think you are right on. One person's "I am so grateful for your help" could easily be another person's "I am not a child and quite capable of taking care of myself." No doubt on a cruise ship the staff have dealt with all kinds.

OP for future reference you should NOT ask "Where are the spoons?" when you really mean "Could you please get me a spoon?" and expect everyone to just know the difference.

Edited by Cruising Jedi

Wow, I can't believe the blaming that is happening. I absolutely agree that somebody-passenger or crew-should have helped. If you see somebody struggle with their soup, do you not help? Do you all really say "well, you chose a budget cruise and you were crippled?" What is up with this world? Geez, have some compassion.

Maybe I have a different take on it. One of my now good friends had a broken ankle-I stopped to help her, and I didn't know who she was. But I was appalled at how many people didn't stop and help. Have some compassion.

Being on crutches for two weeks due to a foot injury is an inconvenience, not a disability. Plus, couldn't have been too bad if you were able to hobble all over Ensenada.

Edited by pbfp2008

I had booked one of the suites. It was disappointing when I found out that the balconies are above the deck where people walk, so there is no privacy. .

A simple search and a little research on the ship, and the room could have saved you a lot of disappointment. We have to understand that when we book on an older ship, we aren't getting the Carnival Vista. Ships are only updated every few years, and the crews do everything possible for keep the rooms in the best shape possible, but there is going to be signs of wear, as they are used 365 days per year, but all different kinds of people. We also have to consider environmental wear as well.

I explained to the massage therapist DONT TOUCH THE FEET AT ALL, I have a nerve issue, I'm on crutches, I recently had injections there, etc. She agrees she will stay away from the feet. 5 minutes in she is grabbing my foot to do some kind of pressure point thing and digs her thumb in HARD on the exact spot on the bottom of my foot where I have the problem and the pain.

This I feel is honestly, your only valid complaint. I would have immediately called guest services, and demanded that they do something about this. I would think that a refund on the massage would be sufficient, and I certainly wouldn't have gone back for another when the first one was so painful...

I had missed my assigned dinner time.

I will say you should consider yourself very lucky that they accommodated you, they most certainly didn't have to, seeing as you missed your dining time.

They said this one table set for two was the closest one and since I’m on crutches I need to take this table and they would not be seating me with others.

This is a safety precaution. They cannot have you maneuvering around the full dining room, on crutches, potentially knocking yourself, or others(including the wait staff over. They were correct not to have you wandering through with crutches. As far as the empty seats, those were likely for people they were expecting that did not show up. They are not going to bump someone out of an assigned seat, just to make you happy, nor should they.

The second night after coming back from Mexico, I had more problems with the crew. There was one incident where I was trying to get into the bathroom and there was a staff member a few feet away. I kept hitting the handicap button to get the door to open which was broken and finally had to go and push the door open which was difficult for me. The staff member glanced over but never moved to help me. They could have helped me with the door but didn’t.

Did you ask for help? If not, then NEXT

Because I was struggling with crutches and a plate I also ended up dropping things (no one helped me pick them up) and I burned my hand because I was trying to get soup (the soup is too hot, by the way).

As someone who regularly teaches people how to use crutches, I would LOVE to know how you held a plate, and used crutches? This just isn't adding up to me.

I was also surprised to see staff riding in the elevators which I know is not allowed on NCL. When I was getting in, never did any of them ask me what floor I was going to or help push a button for me or hold the elevator door for me.

You don't think staff are worthy of riding in an elevator with your highness? I can't, I just have to stop here.

It sounds like you went miserable, and just continued to let yourself be miserable, and looked for little insignificant things to make your trip seem worse, and justify how unhappy you wanted to be.

In October 2012, I crafted the perfect 7 night cruise from Miami in November 2013 on Glory. It was my first time flying for a cruise, and all of the places were new. I was so ecstatic to go. I had all of my excursions picked months in advance, and I was doing everything I could to make the cruise the best yet, so I got a balcony, something I never do... and I just so happened to snap my foot in seven places three days before we left.

In addition to my temporary disability, a huge storm hit, and we ended up missing Belize, let alone walking around the ship on crutches in rough waters, or the tender ride in Grand Cayman. The NCL ships mocked me, as they got to stay, and we were the only ship that left.

My room was right below the Lido restaurant, so it was a little noisy, and on the balcony all I ever heard were the poolside events.

One of our members cancelled two weeks before, and if it wasn't for my disability, they were going to switch us to a room on Deck 6 and use our room as an upgrade. Plus, they only refunded half of the other member's fare, so there was a lot of arguing about it with Carnival.

I had to crutch through the airport, and onto the plane, and onto the shuttle, and onto the ship.

Sounds like a pretty bad cruise right? WRONG. One of my FAVORITE cruises to date! I booked with the attitude that it would be a great cruise, I boarded with the attitude that it would be a great cruise, I cruised with the attitude that it would be a great cruise, and I exited with the attitude that it would be a great cruise.

OP, I think you had some valid complaints. They should have respected your wishes about not touching your feet, and they should have refunded you at least 100%. They also should have listened to your wishes to be sat with others in the MDR. Those complaints are valid, and they would make me a little upset too.

However, I feel as though the other complaints were blown out of proportion by the initial attitude you had when you boarded. You boarded thinking "I'm on crutches, my boyfriend isn't with me, I'm alone, and Carnival is new so I don't know if I'll like it." Then, seeing your room, you then felt as though your theory was confirmed. I bet you boarding didn't even finish and you had already claimed it a bad cruise. Throughout the trip, more things added up, causing a negative feeling towards Carnival.

I think that while some complaints were valid, you should not give up on Carnival. Maybe try a 3 or 4 day with your friends or boyfriend in the future, in a regular stateroom, with A) a positive attitude, and B) some research on the ship and rooms.

I totally feel for you, I understand why you would be upset, I just think that Carnival deserves another try, one a little bit fairer.

Happy Cruising! :p

Edited by cruisexlife

OP, you're certainly not going to get much sympathy here- welcome to Cruisecritic.

Anyone who has been on crutches knows how frustrating it is to be all ready to eat something and realize a spoon is halfway across a crowded room. Add to that the crowds, your isolation, and the hundred other things you had to do for yourself while hobbling along. Honestly it must have been a nightmare.

Carnival is a good base-level cruise line but three day cruises tend to be the worst.

Sorry you had such a bad time. That ship, and that length cruise, would not appeal to me at all. If I were on crutches (again) I would just want my couch in my own home.

I think you have some valid issues but not liking the location of your balcony is just silly. Anyone can pull up a deck plan online and see exactly what is above and below their room and/or balcony.

Cruising on a new line is always a risk, you go in with certain expectations and sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't.

I do wish the staff had been more attentive to your needs but I don't think they could leave their station to grab you a spoon. Telling you where the spoons are was probably appropriate for someone in charge of desserts. If you had asked one of the people walking around, then they probably would have gotten it for you.

Also, your treatment in the MDR is just inexcusable. They should have listened to you and sat you where you wanted. There was no reason to force you to sit alone just because you had crutches.

I will only comment on 2 things . . .

Honestly I can understand why they did not put you with an already established table in the main dining room during set dining. While I like sitting with others during dinner, it would be a little annoying for me for them to add a new person mid cruise, more so if the person seemed already in a poor mood.

Also complaining about staff riding the elevator with you is ridiculous, and thinking they should push the button for you is even crazier.

Also, your treatment in the MDR is just inexcusable. They should have listened to you and sat you where you wanted. There was no reason to force you to sit alone just because you had crutches.

When you have set dining time, your table is assigned before you board the ship. With or without crutches, you don't get to tell the hostess where you want to sit.