Oosterdam - jogging on promenade deck?

dcsam

If God had intended that people jog on board ships, he would have called it the "jog deck" and not the "promenade deck". :)

Ira

BTW, if you consult the deck plans, you will find that there are public rooms, such as the dining room, where people won;t be very happy with joggers running about overhead.

Edited by I_r_a
smiley face

I agree about following the rules, I think we all miscommunicated slightly. I will run only where it's safe and allowed; I hope you won't petition HAL for that to be only on treadmills! :-)

Sounds like the sports deck is the best place for jogging, anyway.

On my last cruise,there was no sign stating no jogging.

Instead it was spray painted in big RED letters on the bow and stern of the promenade deck.

I took this on Ryndam ("S" class ship) last spring:

Aftnojogging_zpsa3d63e04.jpg

On Vista ships, I've seen the sign that KK posted.

Dave

I took this on Ryndam ("S" class ship) last spring:

Aftnojogging_zpsa3d63e04.jpg

On Vista ships, I've seen the sign that KK posted.

Dave

I am in email contact with a friend on the Westerdam right now, so I asked her to check.

She says there is no sign saying No Jogging on the promenade deck at all.

So I guess it depends on if there are cabins under that deck or not.

I am in email contact with a friend on the Westerdam right now, so I asked her to check.

She needs to check on the bow end on the sign that tells you laps per mile. Even if there are no cabins under the promenade, it is dangerous to mix joggers with the slower mix of traffic you get on that deck (whale and bird watchers, walkers with walkers, strollers, etc.). I've seen collisions... not pretty.

She needs to check on the bow end on the sign that tells you laps per mile. Even if there are no cabins under the promenade, it is dangerous to mix joggers with the slower mix of traffic you get on that deck (whale and bird watchers, walkers with walkers, strollers, etc.). I've seen collisions... not pretty.

I've sailed on the current (and old :D) Westerdam, but I admit it has been many years ago. I don't remember if there was a sign such as KK posted, but I have seen it on Vistas, and I believe on the Eurodam.

I think the upshot is kind of like the dress code -- either you follow it or you don't, and deal with the consequences (if any). I have seen joggers on the Promenade decks, and walkers on the upper (jogging) decks. They mix only middlingly-well. But, few people not following the dress code get body-checked into the boards, so to speak.

I like to walk the Promenade, and usually stay off the jogging deck when joggers are there. Not necessarily out of consideration for the joggers, but simple avoidance of getting run over. I am (warning: American football reference coming) a former tight end/defensive end -- many, many years ago, but think Gronkowski. I am many pounds/KG/a couple of stone heavier than I was, and am much less nimble on my feet. If you encounter me on the Promenade deck while you are jogging, especially if you are going clockwise while most of us are going counter-clockwise (why? Who knows, maybe because of the Greeks and the original Olympics, but we do) please be prepared for unexpected encounters. If that happens, now that I am approaching Social Security eligibility, I may not be able to get out of your way quickly enough. So what? Well, considering f=ma, you may have much more "a" than I ... but I have some truly considerable "m".

Bottom line: HAL probably won't kick you off at the next port if you jog on the Promenade deck. But, do so at your (and my, come to think of it) own risk.

Dave

There was a young women jogging on the promenade deck on Maasdam last week even though the posted sign says no jogging. I don't think anyone said anything but it was cold so no one else was on the deck (not sure if anyone heard her on deck 5 below).

We jog on the sports deck outside of the Crows Nest.

Another entitled princess for whom the rules do not apply. Gotta love it.

I prefer walkers and joggers both to not wear earphones so that they can be aware of their surroundings. Using your argument, I could say I'd prefer walkers to use treadmills so they aren't in my way while jogging... But really I believe we can all share the same areas, and the fact that we are out moving, enjoying the fresh air and basically making/keeping ourselves healthy gives us a natural bond.

Walkers say the same re: joggers. We wish you would use the treadmill and not keep bumping into us as we walk. I'm guessing you find it more pleasant to run on outside deck than in the gym on a treadmill? We walkers also enjoy the deck more than the treadmill. :)

Speaking of rules, wasn't there recently a discussion where HAL was turning a blind eye on certain rules (the 4 star discount in Pinnacle) and the wisdom was along the lines of well they have rules, but they are there just in case they need them, if the ship doesn't enforce the rules one is doing nothing wrong. Same thing for dress rules. So now anyone who doesn't see an obscure sign painted on the wall in the bow of the ship while jogging is an entitled princess because she didn't follow the rules.

I understand the rules when rooms are below the deck, but then power walking should be banned also...as should moving chairs on the upper decks when cabins are below.

I have been run into by walkers, I have almost run into strollers who stopped suddenly, I have had to squeeze by groups wandering across the entire deck AND once in a great while I go in the other direction to get to a door I want. Yes I am a princess!!

Speaking of rules, wasn't there recently a discussion where HAL was turning a blind eye on certain rules (the 4 star discount in Pinnacle) and the wisdom was along the lines of well they have rules, but they are there just in case they need them, if the ship doesn't enforce the rules one is doing nothing wrong. Same thing for dress rules. So now anyone who doesn't see an obscure sign painted on the wall in the bow of the ship while jogging is an entitled princess because she didn't follow the rules.

I understand the rules when rooms are below the deck, but then power walking should be banned also...as should moving chairs on the upper decks when cabins are below.

I have been run into by walkers, I have almost run into strollers who stopped suddenly, I have had to squeeze by groups wandering across the entire deck AND once in a great while I go in the other direction to get to a door I want. Yes I am a princess!!

There is a huge difference.

The jogger who bumps into the walker is well aware they are doing so and knowingly breaks the rules.

I've walked those decks more times than I can count and the signs are not obscure and hard to see. They are clearly visible but some choose to ignore them.

The diner who goes to Pinnacle and doesn't even receive a check at the end of dinner didn't do anything to circumvent a rule.

What the Manager of Pinnacle does is quite out of the control of the person dining.

The jogger is not an innocent.

Edited by sail7seas

What? It's a matter of safety. When I worked downtown I would go for a long walk. Many others would do that as well. Some people walked, some jogged. I can't tell you how many times I've been almost knocked over by joggers. It's like they don't care and you best get out of the way. I understand that not everyone is like that but it did happen often. Yes, this princess behavior.

A couple of cruises ago I was sitting on a lounger on the promenade deck. There were maintenance men doing work as discreetly as possible.

Then came the pack of lame brain joggers

Jogging around power tools, extension cords etc,with that look of disgust that anything was actually in their path.

I agree that the jogger who body slams a walker knows they are doing so----BUT the question is how many of you personally have been run over by an out of control jogger (not had one come close to you and startle you but have been knocked down). How many of you have been pushed aside by a power walked. how many of you have been smacked in the face by someone downing arm exercises while walking? If this is such huge safety issue why don't all lines have rules against jogging on the promenade deck, why isn't there an international law?

I think the wisdom is that in general on a HAL ship you should walk. On one cruise (a transatlantic) on a vista ship there were two runners (not joggers) early every morning. I heard a passenger ask them about jogging there and they said they were on their way to an event and had permission during certain hours and were advised to run in the opposite direction so that they could see few other passengers out that early.

I agree that the jogger who body slams a walker knows they are doing so----BUT the question is how many of you personally have been run over by an out of control jogger (not had one come close to you and startle you but have been knocked down). How many of you have been pushed aside by a power walked. how many of you have been smacked in the face by someone downing arm exercises while walking? If this is such huge safety issue why don't all lines have rules against jogging on the promenade deck, why isn't there an international law?

I think the wisdom is that in general on a HAL ship you should walk. On one cruise (a transatlantic) on a vista ship there were two runners (not joggers) early every morning. I heard a passenger ask them about jogging there and they said they were on their way to an event and had permission during certain hours and were advised to run in the opposite direction so that they could see few other passengers out that early.

International law...wow. This doesn't even deserve a response. Beyond silly.

If jogging is allowed I like the idea of them going in the opposite direction. I don't mind joggers if they call out "on your left", etc., when passing. Not getting VERY close when passing. I really don't want to fall down enjoying the outside walking.

Both my DH and I have been slammed from behind by joggers. We were badly shaken more than once as we did not hear them come up behind us. We remained on our feet but do we need to fall to the deck and break a few bones before it is acknowledged to be not only oblivious but dangerous?

the very definition of promenade:

" A leisurely walk, especially one taken in a public place as a social activity."

It certainly seems to me that the prom deck is often filled with a lot of older passengers many of whom have various disabilities that might include hearing,vision, and mobility issues not to mention weak bones that are very susceptible to severe injury with minimal impact from falls or bumps.

The prom deck is often more of a socializing place than an exercise track. There is a BIG difference between walking and running or jogging. If you are running at a good clip and an older passenger doesn't see or hear you all it takes is for said passenger to make a sudden move and wham you've got yourself a collision. A walker is going much slower and thus has more time to observe and react when someone suddenly moves into their "lane". When the ship is arriving or departing a port there are often a hundred or more guests on the prom deck all excited and distracted by the scenery....and yes I have seen joggers dodging and weaving around even at busy times.

I think the cruise lines are wise to prohibit jogging/running on the promenade decks. I just wish that they would enforce it when brain dead runners zip right by huge signs in big red letters that say NO JOGGING.

While I do feel a bit of sympathy for the joggers it seems that overall the safety and consideration for the majority of passengers who use the prom deck for socializing or leisurely strolls is paramount.

• 4 months later...

Just to put this thread to rest, there is no sign prohibiting jogging on Oosterdam promenade deck as of September, 2015. I was there, I looked. It's not a deck that is very conducive to jogging, however. The treadmills were the best, with an outstanding view!

Part of the issue is that the signs prohibiting jogging on the promenade deck, when they exist, are relatively small and easy to miss if you aren't looking for them. If you are a jogger and head out for your run, you simply aren't going to notice the signs on the walls if you are focussing on what lies ahead. Not everyone is a cc member and aware of shipboard issues, so let's not be too quick to judge all joggers as deliberate rule breakers. The nice new red on white "NO JOGGING" signs go a long way to solving the problem.

Edited by Fouremco

I think you missed my point. There are no signs prohibiting jogging on the promenade deck on Oosterdam. I appreciate the thought of not assuming joggers are rule breakers, but in this case there are no signs. I was walking and purposely looked for them and didn't find any.

I think you missed my point. There are no signs prohibiting jogging on the promenade deck on Oosterdam. I appreciate the thought of not assuming joggers are rule breakers, but in this case there are no signs. I was walking and purposely looked for them and didn't find any.

FWIW - I believe there are signs on the ships where there are cabins beneath, but not on the ships like the Vistas - where there are no cabins underneath the promenade deck.