Carnival Victory questions

Freedom2014

I am thinking of booking a 5 day on the Carnival Victory next month...anyone ben on it recently? I have been away from the boards for awhile dealing with my moms breast cancer returning...but we decided to take a trip and spend time together..so we want a nice trip...

We were on in November. I loved the ship but then I love all the ships.

She has been refurbished since I was on. The room decor was really dated but otherwise very nice. There was a great piano bar that we spent quite a few nights at - it was great fun.

The staff were awesome. All in all I would definitely recommend the Victory

my concerns are the food and if the cabins are updated? Does it show its age?

Food was good, MDR is the "old" menus - but the food choices were fine. They do offer the Steakhouse selections - but we never found the need to order from those choices. There were plenty of good choices that we enjoyed. They do have the Sea Day Brunch and they just added the Alchemy Bar and the Sky Box with the recent dry dock. No Guys, Blue Iguana or Red Frog.

The cabins are still the "orange" - but ours was clean and in good shape. One bummer they still have the old tv - no flat screens - and there were times that it did not access the on board system to see your account or check the MDR menus, etc.. But that was easy enough to deal with - we just tried again later.

I didn't notice any horrific issues that would make you think the ship was old. Some of the areas out by the pools were still roped off as they were still working on some of the deck boards. But I would hope that is complete by now!

Edited by happy cruzin

How was the dance club at night? did it seem to be popular or was it empty? It's pretty amazing how much this seems to vary from cruise to cruise but I am just curious.

I was on the the 5/16/2015 sailing and the ship was alright. We had a balcony cabin on deck 10 forward. If you have been on any of the 2.0 ships like the Breeze or Liberty you will definitely miss Guys burgers and the rum bar. The staff was amazing. I would say the rooms are a bit dated.

The dance club was always bumping at night! DJ Devine is probably after 10 cruises the best DJ I have experienced so far. The crowd did not pick up until about 12:30. I would say the food in the MDR was relatively good.

I was on the the 5/16/2015 sailing and the ship was alright. We had a balcony cabin on deck 10 forward. If you have been on any of the 2.0 ships like the Breeze or Liberty you will definitely miss Guys burgers and the rum bar. The staff was amazing. I would say the rooms are a bit dated.

The dance club was always bumping at night! DJ Devine is probably after 10 cruises the best DJ I have experienced so far. The crowd did not pick up until about 12:30. I would say the food in the MDR was relatively good.

Thanks for the Info :) I just went on the Conquest a couple of weeks ago and the Breeze a couple of years ago, so I will definitely be missing the Blue Iguana Cantana and Guys but any day on a cruise is better than a day at work so I'm not complaining!

Yes, I love guys burgers...I also loved loved loved The liberty...hated hated hated the conquest...lol it looked awful and in need of desperate repair...the liberty was beautiful and didn't show its age at all...I went on conquest in aug last year...it was so bad I chose Royal for my nov cruise the ship was liberty of the seas which is beautiful and HUGE. the shows were awesome and food as well. which is why I'm hesitate to go back to carnival...but royal prices are freaking insane right now so I have no choice...I just want a good time...I am gold on carnival so I don't want people thinking I am bashing carnival by trying to compare to a amazing royal ship.

Freedom2014 I dont see your posts here as bashing Carnival, and I also understand your concerns. I am probably less concerned about somethings but more concerned about others lol. Anyway, I am already booked and not going to back out of my upcoming cruise regardless of any negative reviews. I am going because it fits my vacation dates, and has two new ports of call. This will also be the first time I do a less than 7 day cruise:(. But, it is better than no cruise at all.

I look forward though to all feedback from recent Victory cruisers, both the good , bad and the ugly:)

p.s. I liked the guys burgers too, thought I would not, but was pleasantly surprised (but I will survive without them on the Victory), and I loved loved loved the Liberty! and loved loved the Freedom! Yet I am ready willing and able to go on a smaller and older ship.

Edited by SMSACE6

Yeah, That is my problem too...I have a very very short vacation period and victory is the only date I can do..first time doing a 5 day in years as well...I don't see paying 800 a person for a 5 day cruise on royal caribbean either...This trip I guess I will focus on the ports instead of ship...either way I need a vacation! I am sure you will have a blast as well!

If I hadn't known the Victory just had a dry dock, I would not have known. There were some parts of the ship that seemed worn, but everything was clean. It didn't bother me at all though.

I missed the Guy's burgers, but there was plenty to eat. The Chopsticks on Lido was really good.

Sorry, didn't go to the dance club at all, but the comedy club was packed every night! :)

All in all it is a great ship and I had a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Hazelroo
Wanted to add more.

Did the Liberty out of miami last april. One the last or so before her port change. Doing the victory 6/27 just to fit the dates and budget. Agree that its hard to justify 1.5x more on rcl. Will miss guys but im sure i can find enough food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a great time on the victory. We went May of last year. Staff was great, food amazing. The ship was clean. But the pools were gross.. Not very thrilled

I agree about the pools... don't know what's going on there,but when i went on her last year, the pools were dirty looking with film on top...so much so that i wouldn't get in.. yet the cruise on her before that three months prior, they were fine... don't know what was going on there... i think they updated the pools...

I did love both cruises on the Victory,she may be older, but i had a great time, the staff and crew were awesome! And i loved the ports i went to.

If you didn't like Conquest, you probably won't like the Victory. She hasn't had the 2.0 upgrades that the Conquest has had.

But with that said,she is a great ship with a great fun crew! I did short cruises on her the last two times i cruised, last one was solo... I love that ship!

Great to hear about Victory. We will be on her Thanksgiving week. Also going on her because of the time all 6 of us in our family can travel. We are looking forward to the 2 ports we stop at. Hope the pools are better as we are taking our 2 grandchildren!

Thanks for all the information everyone is giving!

Not sure what there is to dislike about the Conquest as opposed to any of the other ships in her class IMO. We just got back and had a great time. The ship was in great condition too. I admit, I liked the Breeze better than any carnival ship that I've been on because the theme/decor was so much better, not to mention she has a lot more onboard activities. But I had a blast for 8 days on the Conquest. That said, I'm not very picky. Give me a clean cruise ship with food and alcohol onboard and I'm pretty happy.

By the end of the day the pool on every ship I have been on has been gross...a nice film on top...I contribute it to a bunch of people wearing sunscreen in a small pool.

yes, I have noticed this as well. I thought they emptied the pool each night and refilled it. Or is that not the case anymore?

yes, I have noticed this as well. I thought they emptied the pool each night and refilled it. Or is that not the case anymore?

Yes - the area drained every night. But the filled with sea water - and no chemicals. That's why the get "icky" by the end of the day. [emoji12]