Haven Aft or 2 bedroom suite? Done both and this is my opinion

kernie968

In December I traveled on the Breakaway in the Haven aft penthouse suite room 11308. I went crazy reading everything about the Haven and what to expect. My initial feeling of the suite was it was a little narrower than I expected, but still a very nice room. The balcony was of course the best part and we spent so much time sitting and watching the ocean. I loved the sound of the wake!

Just came back from the Breakaway and this time we upgraded 5 days before we sailed to a Haven 2 bedroom suite room 15108. I had originally planned on do a review of what it was like to sail in the Haven, then go back to a regular balcony room, but the call of the Haven was too strong.

So now for the comparison. The living room in the 2 bedroom was a little wider. When we first entered the aft room we rearranged the furniture so we could get through without being in each others way. We pushed the table and chairs against the wall and moved the coffee table. This made the room doable for four adults. We did not have to move anything in the 2 bedroom. The aft has a closet in the living room, the 2 bedroom does not. The couch bed was the same in both and it feels best with the egg crate foam on top.

The 2 bedroom has a desk and a lot of storage space.

The second bathroom in the aft was very small. My husband who is 6'2" could not use the shower as he bumped into the wall constantly. The second bedroom in the 2 bedroom was a better lay out. The shower is still small, but seemed just a little bit bigger.

Our aft room was one with the bedroom by the balcony and the bathroom in the back. I cannot compare those because the bedroom is bigger when it is next to the balcony. In the 2 bedroom the master bedroom was tight, but only really need it for sleeping.

Then of course there is the balcony. There is no comparison. The aft balcony is just huge. The four of us could be on the balcony together and never get in each others way. Being that it is the back of the ship meant no wind so even when it was cold on the top decks we were still warm and enjoying our balcony. The 2 bedroom balcony was a little larger than I thought it would be. We brought out a chair from the dining room table, so all 3 of us could have a chair. We could have brought out two chairs. In the aft you have the sound of the wake, in the front you have the sound of the waves breaking on the bow. I liked both sounds.

Now after being in both rooms I preferred the 2 bedroom. Why? Because we used the Haven courtyard, sundeck, bar and restaurant a lot more than when we were aft. Being aft means walking a lot more to get to the Haven and if you are not in decent shape it takes a toll. Now last time I said that people flamed me and told me to get in shape. Well if you are like me and are in good shape, but not great shape it can wear you down. This is a big ship and if you do not walk everyday of your life you get tired. Also we got tired of waiting for elevators and used the stairs when we were aft, but being on deck 15 we did not use the elevators or stairs very often.

Another thing to think about with the drink package being included we only had to hike up one flight of stairs to be at the Haven bar, but if we were aft it would have been a hike to get a drink. Being in the Haven we could easily check and see if the hot tubs were empty. We spent many hours in the courtyard hot tubs and pool by ourselves. We never had a problem getting a lounger outside in the sundeck, but one time we could not get a lounger on the floor by the swimming pool, but all the loungers on the second floor were available.

In the aft we rarely saw our butler. In the front we saw our butler almost every time we walked down the hall.

So in my opinion the front of the boat is the best for the Haven. We did not have a huge balcony, but we spent a lot of time in the Haven area and socialized a lot more that we did sitting in our aft balcony. We did spend a good amount of time in our small balcony and we were satisfied with it. If you like privacy and not socializing then the aft would be better. I was exhausted by day 5 when we stayed aft. In the front I never like I could not do another step. It comes down to what you like best.

I am in aft haven in November. Where I believe I will be more than happy with the room. You now have me concerned about paying all that money and not really being able to utilize the perks. Would you say it is worth another 1000 for the 2 bedroom?

I have been going back and forth between these 2 cabin choices on our upcoming cruise. The lure of the aft balcony has been winning up to this point, as well as the slightly more economical price. However, we are a family of four and I am worried about the size of the pull out sofa. I have read reviews that describe it as everything from king size to double. Are rollaway beds an option & if so, would this fit in the aft cabin with the sofa open? Thanks for your review & any further help you can provide.

I have been going back and forth between these 2 cabin choices on our upcoming cruise. The lure of the aft balcony has been winning up to this point, as well as the slightly more economical price. However, we are a family of four and I am worried about the size of the pull out sofa. I have read reviews that describe it as everything from king size to double. Are rollaway beds an option & if so, would this fit in the aft cabin with the sofa open? Thanks for your review & any further help you can provide.

Rollaways are not an option regardless of the location of your cabin. They simply are not offered. The sofa bed in the aft cabin is definitely more the size of a double. Comfort is going to depend on the size and age of the 3rd and 4th passenger in the cabin (I am assuming kids since you said family of four). To be completely honest, I don't think my kids could have shared an aft sofa bed and maintained a calm environment (ha!). The "sofa-bed" (i.e. the fold out bed in the 2nd bedroom) in a 2-bedroom suite is a little bit larger, however, most (if not all) have a drop down berth in the ceiling of the second bedroom which would allow each child to have their own bed so this may be a better option.

The lure of the aft suite for us, though, is the balcony. We spend a lot of time on our balcony and these are incredible. That being said, there is outdoor space all over the ship where you can enjoy the view so this may not be all that important to you. Only you know your kids and only you can determine where you guys will be most comfortable.

Edited by tarps14

I am in aft haven in November. Where I believe I will be more than happy with the room. You now have me concerned about paying all that money and not really being able to utilize the perks. Would you say it is worth another 1000 for the 2 bedroom?

We have done both the 2-bedroom and the aft Haven suite. IMHO, it is not worth an additional $1000 to be located in the Haven. While in no way do I doubt the OP's experience, our's was a bit different on the Getaway. Yes, the walk is long, however, we never really did the walk all at once except maybe one time for breakfast but we would have had to walk all the way forward anyway as this was where the debarkation point was for that port of call. The aft was very convenient for us as we are not one's to lay around the pool or really use the Haven facilities all that much. We spend much more time in other areas of the ship and we were simply closer to the action from the aft.

We found the use of the stairs much more convenient than having to wait on the forward elevators to go all the way to the top two floors which is where the Haven is located.

It's all personal choice. I wouldn't let the walk from the aft be the deciding factor because there are trade-offs with either choice.

Originally Posted by beandippa View Post

You would have to decide if you want to spend more time on your balcony than the Haven areas. It was also very nice to be able to walk out to the pool deck with the slide without waiting for elevators. You would really have to think about what you and your family will be doing on the ship for what location would be best. In my opinion the advantages of being in the Haven make the money worth spending, but if you have never been in a aft room you might want to experience it. I have done both and now love the front of the ship.

I have done both the Aft and the 2 bedroom suites on the Breakaway. For 4 adults the 2 bedroom set up is a better arrangement, I agree. For us we loved the aft balcony and enjoyed entertaining out there many days. If you have new friends from CC, or old friends on the ship with you who aren't in Haven suites it's definitely much easier to entertain in the aft suites and on that huge aft balcony.

Definitely agree with the OP, but wouldn't give up that large aft balcony. I will say that we had a better butler in our aft suite than our Haven suite, so that part may be just luck of the draw.

You are all extremely helpful. Thanks so much. Think I'm gonna stick with the aft. Going with my kids, 5 and 8 at sail time. This is our first family cruise and me and wife's first suite. We splurged due to it being our 10th anniversary.

Thank you for posting this. I have been torn between the aft balcony, and the privacy of the second bedroom for my teenage son. So far, the amazing balcony has won out! But I still look at the two bedroom and wonder if I made the right decision. Sigh. If only the two bedroom somehow offered that balcony, we would upgrade in a flash! :p

Edited by Saraphine

Thank you for posting this. I have been torn between the aft balcony, and the privacy of the second bedroom for my teenage son. So far, the amazing balcony has won out! But I still look at the two bedroom and wonder if I made the right decision. Sigh. If only the two bedroom somehow offered that balcony, we would upgrade in a flash! :p

^^^THIS^^^

I've done both, and agree completely. If the aft balcony was on the 2 bedroom layout, no argument, here's my credit card. With the 3 of us, we'll stay with an H6 and just keep walking to the Haven when we drop off kiddo at the kid's club.

I have done both the Aft and the 2 bedroom suites on the Breakaway. For 4 adults the 2 bedroom set up is a better arrangement, I agree. For us we loved the aft balcony and enjoyed entertaining out there many days. If you have new friends from CC, or old friends on the ship with you who aren't in Haven suites it's definitely much easier to entertain in the aft suites and on that huge aft balcony.

Definitely agree with the OP, but wouldn't give up that large aft balcony. I will say that we had a better butler in our aft suite than our Haven suite, so that part may be just luck of the draw.

It was probably the luck of the draw. When we went last year and talk to the butlers some of them who serviced 16 were also servicing the aft suites on BA. They rotated room assignments every two weeks.

It costs, but there are several H6 aft Penhouses, that connect to a balcony, thus making a 2 bedroom 3 bath suite. Its a nice setup, but more expensive. Downside is none of the H6 aft penthouses with the 2 balcony door floorplan (11 & 14) have adjoining rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You very much. I am going to spend the extra and go for the 2 bed

Actually I am going to surprise my family with it period they think we are going in a minisuite like normal :p What a surprise when we go and check in at Haven....:eek: Just hope I can keep the secret.

I have always wanted to try Haven and its my 45th birthday so I am going to just do it. I was torn between the aft and 2 bed.

The idea of the kids not have to share the bed. Plus

The larger 2nd bathroom a big plus.

The convenience of not having to cross the ship all the time since I know my kids and DH will mostly be at the water slides and me at Haven pool.

Having easy and quick access to getting drinks/snacks..yum

You mentioned that you have to decide if you would really rather have your own HUGE balcony to relax alone or the Haven area to talk to and interact with other people. I am a people person so Haven it is.

Thank You very much for your advice to a Haven newbie.