Single TA?

e39m5

I'm visiting London this summer and there happens to be a TA that's well-aligned with when I need to arrive. I'm thinking the QM2 would be an interesting experience, but wanted some thoughts given that:

- I'm 24

- I'll have to work during the day

- I generally love cruising, but my experiences are limited to big brands

- I'd have to go solo

On the upside, it's plenty affordable and I hate flying.

Will it be easy to make friends, or will I find myself pretty lonely?

I'm visiting London this summer and there happens to be a TA that's well-aligned with when I need to arrive. I'm thinking the QM2 would be an interesting experience, but wanted some thoughts given that:

- I'm 24

- I'd have to go solo

I always travel solo as my partner won't cruise. I love it...you'll meet plenty of people if you want to, or have some time to yourself if you prefer.

Its one of the last great adventures you can do from the comfort of a deck chair...give it a go.

regards Roscoe

- I'm 24

- I'd have to go solo

Do it. I took my first Cunard voyage at 28 and loved it (as I knew I would). You'll meet lots of other people, but they'll tend to be older (which I have no issue with as it's likely that we will share some similar tastes etc).

The biggest regret is not trying things in life.

Yes, do it by all means, it is great! I have done many transatlantics as a solo traveller and can't wait for my next one, but don't forget that it also depends a little bit on you yourself. You will be surprised how many nice, open-minded and interesting people you will find onboard.

One hint for the beginning: There is an "open" table for lunch in the main dining room where you could go to make contacts. Courage, please!

Cats2010 :)

Hi, I have recently booked my first solo TA, and I cant wait!

One thing I noticed is your mention of having to work, if you are thinking of phones, Internet etc, please bear in mind this is a) expensive and b) SLOW when so far from land. Comms will be satellite based, and patchy on a crossing. There is lots of info ( and frustration) in these threads on this subject!

Scarlet

Hi, I have recently booked my first solo TA, and I cant wait!

One thing I noticed is your mention of having to work, if you are thinking of phones, Internet etc, please bear in mind this is a) expensive and b) SLOW when so far from land. Comms will be satellite based, and patchy on a crossing. There is lots of info ( and frustration) in these threads on this subject!

Scarlet

It's not as bad as you describe it, at least in my experience and on QM2. Altogether I have been many months on her. Anyway, there is always staff available to help.

- I'm 24

- I'd have to go solo

I have completed a solo crossing and found it joyous. Here are some additional hints on how to do reduce the risks of feeling lonely. I strongly support previous statements that the majority of fellow travellers are friendly, interesting and willing to engage.

1. Frequent the public rooms once your work is done in other words resist any urge to skulk full time in your cabin

2. Engage with the public rooms crew e.g. the bar waiters they will talk to you if not too busy. Age is positively on your side here

3. At the events such as captain's welcome party and if on your own, make for the dance floor as people tend to circulate more there

4. Further to point 5, think ahead and ask guests at your dinner table if they intend to go along, if so ask if you may accompany them

5. Join in some of the "sports" events that the cruise staff organise, usually the emphasis is on fun and it's a chance to meet people

6. Follow the other good suggestions on here

Of course it does take a little more effort than having the fall back of talking with your husband, wife, lover and etc. when all else fails, but I would be surprised if you don't come away without an email address or two or a new social media contact should you wish that. :)

M-AR

I have regularly traveled solo and have always made many friends and had a great time.

One thing I would recommend is requesting a table for 6 or 8 in the MDR. Hopefully you will strike lucky and have a great group of people at your table (often other singles) and they will form the basis of your companions on board.

Otherwise I agree with all the other recommendations mentioned already.

Do it! And have a great time.

I have regularly traveled solo and have always made many friends and had a great time.

One thing I would recommend is requesting a table for 6 or 8 in the MDR. Hopefully you will strike lucky and have a great group of people at your table (often other singles) and they will form the basis of your companions on board.

Otherwise I agree with all the other recommendations mentioned already.

Do it! And have a great time.

Would you recommend early or late seating?

Since Cunard is well-aware of their passenger's demographics, I wonder if you could call Cunard and ask about the possibility of being seated with "younger people" at dinner. That might steer things in the right direction.

From my experience, the internet is the worst at times when "everyone" is using it. Trying to avoid peak-use times can help a lot.

Sometimes, it is a matter of where the ship is located in the world, causing the internet to be painfully (and expensively) slow… Just connect to send and receive. Don't surf or shop or google out of curiosity.

I think any friendly person, regardless of age, can easily find companionship on a ship.

You do understand that when booking a "single" there is typically an up-charge---I believe about !/2 of the fare for the single. ??? I don't know if that would affect your plans.

In any case, I agree---ship travel is much better than airplane travel (in my opinion). It would be a great experience for you---one I believe you would enjoy.

As long as you are a friendly person, you will be fine. :)

I think the age of the other people doesn't mean a thing. I must say that I am a shy person but I was really surprised that I could start an interesting conversation with strangers in my parents or grandparents age without problem, and I had a great time!

I would suggest the late seating. I find that the day seems to be longer… if it makes any sense. Especially when you are sailing to Southampton. You will lose 1 hour in the afternoon due to time change, which makes the early seating just too early!

A table for 6 or 8 will be good. If you don't like the group of people or if they are too boring, just ask for a table change.

Have a good time!

I think that depends on your normal eating pattern at home. I tend to eat a bit later in the evening at home, so I go for the late sitting. I like to have plenty of time to get ready, enjoy a cocktail or two before dinner, and for me starting that process at about 4-5pm is a bit early.

However, as there are no ports on a TA many like the early sitting as there is no need to be rushing at the end of the afternoon.

I'm in the same boat both metaphorically and literally speaking - my first solo TA is in 6 months, and I've never solo'd before - ever, and in my opinion age shouldn't make any difference.

Look at it this way - if you don't find anyone to pal on with during the voyage you can always chat with the prettier crew members, or just enjoy all that free time. Solitude can be, and should be, wonderful.

A transatlantic cruise like this affords you the opportunity to disconnect from every day annoyances - cell phones, email, Facebook, work - all the things that we fill the empty space in our lives with. How often do we get 8 days to just turn it all off while eating great food and enjoying all the amazing shipboard amenities that a modern liner like the QM2 has to offer ? Personally I am relishing the prospect.

Plus you are about to put something very cool on your personal "life resume". Firstly, very few people have, or ever will sail TA, especially in their 20s. But even cooler than that is the fact that you will have put your name against a piece of maritime history. QM2 is the world's only true ocean liner - she isn't a cruise ship in the typical sense, and you are young enough that when she is retired in 20 or 30 years time you will be able to say that you once sailed on her - speaking personally I likely won't see that day, but for me the "cool" factor for someone who will is immense.

Do it - you'll be glad you did.

I've just completed my first solo cruise on QM2, and I would have no hesitation cruising solo again. I met lots of lovely people on board, sat with 3 solo ladies for dinner who were wonderful and have arranged to meet up again. Join in the dance classes etc, join a large table for lunch - this worked very well for me, take pre dinner drinks in the commodore club, go to the singles meet up in the mornings. There is so much to do on board, try it, I'm sure you'll have a fab time.

On sea days, there's solo travelers coffee, you may meet some interesting people (although they're going to be triple your age). The Social Hostess organises solo get-togethers, make sure you introduce yourself.