Pearl Harbour & Arizona Memorial - Alone or Robert Hawaii Tour?

wendycook22

My DH and I are planning a visit at the end of Sept. and are leaning toward doing Pearl Harbor on our own. We would like a full day there, and it doesn't seem as though the tour companies offer that (except for Home of the Brave Tours, which looks wonderful but is already unavailable for the day of our planned visit).

The dilemma is whether or not to purchase the "Passport to Pearl Harbor" through recreation.gov in advance ($65 each) or to just make the reservation for the Arizona and buy tickets to the Missouri, Bowfin, etc. once we arrive. In your experience, what are those lines like?

The other issue we have to solve is transportation to/from Pearl Harbor. We will be staying at Courtyard Marriott Waikiki Beach and can take The Bus. Just wondering whether public transportation is reliable, clean, safe, etc., as we'd probably be boarding around 5:45 am to get to Pearl Harbor by 7am as many recommend.

I've only gone to the Arizona Memorial & the USS Missouri so the Passport was not a good option for me.

The last time I was there the aviation museum located between the Missouri and the Ford Island control tower was new and lacked many aircraft displays. I've read that it has been greatly expanded & would probably go there the next time. If you're not aware of it, I don't know if anything remains of the airport's runways which were replaced with military housing. Sadly the iconic control tower was closed and rusted but the free shuttle bus driver said there had been talk of refurbishing the control tower which I hope will happen.

I have not compared individual prices to determine if the Passport would be cost-effective for me but probably not. I wasn't interested in paying to tour the sub Bowfin nor the small adjacent museum. However if you want to see it all during a leisurely day in Pearl Harbor, the Passport may be your best option.

Have you considered the option to pre-reserve tender tickets to the Arizona Memorial? That would allow you to not have to leave so early to get one of the limited walk-in tickets. Another option would be to take a cab to Pearl Harbor however for me I would prefer to pre-reserve tender tickets and take The Bus not so early.

As I posted our only experience on The Bus was going from the Aloha Tower cruise terminal to Pearl Harbor at about 9:00 am. We walked about 10-15 minutes to the bus stop & along the way discovered the church where St. Damian of Molokai was ordained. That was during a slow time for tourism in early December & was not a problem getting tender tickets. We arrived before 10 AM and got a tender ticket for 10:30 AM before taking the free shuttle to the USS Missouri. The Bus was reliable, clean & safe for us including for my wife going to shop at the Ala Moana shopping center while I walked back to the ship after our visit to Pearl Harbor.

While it was a very memorable day for me, my first time arriving at dawn in Pearl Harbor from the flight deck of a carrier circling Ford Island (before the bridge was built) 30 years after the attack was even more memorable.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Crowd wise, does it make a difference to visit PH on Monday instead of weekend? I am hoping it will be less busy on Monday than say Sat and Sun. Or is this just a wishful thinking?

You may not get an answer & have you considered contacting the Memorial to get a general trend about crowds. I'd think that many visitors are tourists & thus it may not matter which day you go. You may also want to check guidebooks which some of them such as Frommer's have free online versions.

Although in Maui many tourists arrive & depart on weekends which results in fewer crowds at popular places so maybe it's the same at PH. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Have you considered the option to pre-reserve tender tickets to the Arizona Memorial?

When you say "pre-reserve tender tickets," are you referring to the tickets you can reserve online through the National Park Service website? Or is the tender a totally separate ticket that needs to be obtained?

Right now we are leaning towards doing Pearl on our own instead of with a tour company. There is a narrated Arizona Memorial tour available on the National Park Service website. It costs $7.50 per person and seems well worth it.

Undecided about purchasing the Passport admission. It costs $65 per person, but we don't know whether or not we want to do the Bowfin.

Thanks also for your comments about using The Bus. Definitely the most cost-effective option for getting to Pearl from our hotel in Waikiki.

Thank you so much! Our trip was so much fun, and doing the review was a great way to relive it. It's why I read everyone else's Hawaii/POA reviews. Hope you love your trip as much as we did! :)

We are looking forward to it. This will be our first cruise on NCL, so we've got a lot to learn. Just curious --- is the dress onboard very casual in the complimentary dining venues? I would be so happy to leave the black dinner dress at home this time!

When you say "pre-reserve tender tickets," are you referring to the tickets you can reserve online through the National Park Service website? Or is the tender a totally separate ticket that needs to be obtained?

Right now we are leaning towards doing Pearl on our own instead of with a tour company. There is a narrated Arizona Memorial tour available on the National Park Service website. It costs $7.50 per person and seems well worth it.

Decades ago at the old visitor center you would line up to get a tender ticket before you got into the visitors center. As I recall on my most recent visit to the greatly enlarged and improved visitor center you can get into the visitors center before lining up for a walk-in ticket. That was several years ago and it was to get a tender ticket which I believe is what you get by paying the $1.50 reservation fee.

Hopefully someone will post with a more recent experience to "refresh" my memory. :o

We are looking forward to it. This will be our first cruise on NCL, so we've got a lot to learn. Just curious --- is the dress onboard very casual in the complimentary dining venues? I would be so happy to leave the black dinner dress at home this time!

Yes! Leave your dinner dress at home! A pretty sundress or Hawaiian Mumu is the most you will need. Actually, in one of the complimentary dining rooms you can get away with nice shorts. The other you'll need, at the very least, nice jeans.

Edited by greatlakesgirl

They only give out about 2000 tickets per day and most people stand in line for 630am to get a ticket. Then you have to hope your tour is one of the earlier ones. Like I said we hired a tour company that stood I line for us and we had tickets to the 11 am showing.

They only give out about 2000 tickets per day and most people stand in line for 630am to get a ticket. Then you have to hope your tour is one of the earlier ones. Like I said we hired a tour company that stood I line for us and we had tickets to the 11 am showing.

Visitor Center Walk-In Tickets: 1,300 walk-in tickets are available daily at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, which opens at 7:00 a.m. Tickets are free and available on a first come, first serve basis. Theses tickets are only available to visitors physically present at the time. All members of your party must be present to receive a walk-in ticket. If you would like walk-in tickets, please arrive early! If you arrive early enough to secure your own tickets, you may have a few hours to wait before your tour. The tour is 75-minutes long consisting of a 25-minute documentary film and a boat trip out to the Memorial.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

• 2 weeks later...
We are staying on Waikiki Beach a few days prior to our cruise. I was wondering what people would recommend doing the tours on our own or with a company? I want to make sure we get the most out of our day there in the way of information and knowledge. I am not sure if we would get the same on our own or get more information on a tour?

The tour company I am looking at is Roberts Hawaii (which I have found him from recommendations on here). This is what it entails (12 hours long).

Oahu – Day at Pearl Harbor Tour - 134.50 pp

Tour Overview (*denotes stops made)

USS Battleship Missouri*

Pacific Aviation Museum*

USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park*

National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific

Iolani Palace

Kawaiahao Church

Hawaii State Capitol Grounds

Honolulu City Hall

Narrated Audio Tour at USS Arizona

“Road to War” and “Attack” Exhibit Galleries

Ford Island (drive through)

Downtown Honolulu

Pearl Harbor Visitor Center*

USS Arizona Memorial*

Has anyone done this tour or can anyone provide me with insight on what would be best? We are not renting a vehicle.

Aloha :D,

Please note that that on this tour, you will only stop at the World War II Valor in the Pacific museum site. The USS Arizona Memorial & (Narrated Audio Tour at USS Arizona), USS Battleship Missouri, Pacific Aviation Museum, USS Bowfin Submarine Museum are all at Pearl Harbor. The rest of the places are just drive bys.

I know for a fact that busses are not allowed to stop and park at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific and most of the other places listed don't allow tour busses to stop and park either.

That being said, what exactly are you trying to see? If you are trying to see the World War II Valor in the Pacific museums http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm , I would do it over 2 days and see 2 museums each day. Visit the site for information about the cost of visiting the other museums.

On this thread, #3, js4rq said that he recommends VIP Trans, at $6pp one way or $9pp roundtrip. http://www.viptrans.com/ I would not catch the Bus since the traffic on Oahu is the worst I've seen in all of the years I've lived here because of the light rail construction that won't be finished for at least 5 years.

I would take the VIP Trans to Pearl Harbor taking the earliest possible reservation and eat breakfast in the car. I would pay the $1.50 service fee and reserve my free Arizona Memorial ticket ahead of time. REMEMBER you have to pick up your ticket at least 1 hour ahead of the ticket time. If you want the $7.50 Narrated Audio Tour at USS Arizona, you can purchase it in the visitor center. When I got to Pear Harbor, I would go to the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & visitor center while I waited for my Arizona Memorial ticket time and ride the tender out to the memorial.

Taking your time and seeing the memorials and then getting back to Waikiki (why else are you going to Hawaii and Waikiki?) and the beach & pool and resting up for a nice dinner will get you prepared to go back to Pearl Harbor the next day.

The second day, I would go back to the World War II Valor in the Pacific/Arizona Memorial visitor center and take the Ford Island shuttle to the Battleship Missouri Memorial and the Pacific Aviation Museum, again returning to Waikiki to enjoy the hotel and the beach.

For a 3rd day trip (this is all day & into the night), I would take the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) all day tour with one of the tour companies. This is something I take my out of town visitors to see. I've driven them out to the PCC and visited the different "villages" and had the dinner several time and it never seems to get old.

I hope this is of some help to those trying to figure out visiting Oahu. If you have more that 3 days to sightsee, just post here again and I'll try and see what I can recommend.

Also, EVERYBODY! ! ! , make sure you use a really good sunscreen in Hawaii. I've lived here all my life and I use an SPF 35 or 50 (SPF 15 is too weak) if I'm going to be outside all day. If I don't, I will be sunburned in 60 minutes. It is almost impossible to have fun on vacation if you have sunburn blisters which I see on tourists in Hawaii all the time.

Aloha :D

Edited by rakuroda

We did a similar tour at the end of our cruise (through the cruise line) and then it dropped us at the airport. Well worth it if you are flying out the day your cruise ends. This also left more time in the 3 days we had prior to the cruise to do other things. We loved diamond head.

<snip>

Is this your first visit to Hawaii? And you state you ARE NOT renting a car, so I think trying to get to all the places listed in the Robert's tour will be next to impossible. You are going to spend too much time trying to find your way around strange surroundings. And if you miss the buses? <snip>

I think Robert's does a good job at a reasonable rate and they have the worry of fighting the traffic. <snip>

This is exactly why I booked our family with a tour of Pearl Harbor. I used Hawaii Discount, and can let you know by the end of July how good they were or were not...

Here is what ours entails:

Tour Highlights

Pearl Harbor Visitor Center and exhibit galleries featuring WWII memorabilia

Watch the documentary at Pearl Harbor showing footage of the actual attack

Board the Navy shuttle boat for a ride across Pearl Harbor to the Arizona Memorial

See the “Black Tears” of oil that still bubble to the surface today from the USS Arizona

U.S. Pacific Submarine Memorial and USS Bowfin “Pearl Harbor Avenger” (Admission & Tour included)

Pacific Aviation Museum (Admission included, this portion is self-guided)*

USS Missouri, also known as the “Mighty Mo” (Admission & Tour included)

Walk in the footsteps of General Douglas MacArthur and stand on the Surrender Deck

Look into the massive 16" guns that hurl 2,900 pound projections over 20 miles with pin point accuracy

Hear the famous story where the USS Missouri sustained a serious attack off the coast of Okinawa in 1945

Historical narration by an expert state certified tour guide

Hot Dog or Soup Bowl at the USS Bowfin food vendor

Audio tours for the Arizona Memorial, USS Missouri and USS Bowfin

Commemorative Pearl Harbor postcard set

A December 7, 1941 newspaper reprint

Pearl Harbor (PH) that visitors want to see can be just the Arizona Memorial (Arizona) or can be the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument in Hawaii. This consists of the PH Visitor Center (PHVC), the Arizona museum, the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park (Bowfin), the Battleship Missouri Memorial (Missouri), and the Pacific Aviation Museum (PAM).

I cannot stress how important it is to visit this Plan Your Visit site and read it very carefully because if you don't, you may run into some problems. This is not a theme park! It is like visiting Arlington National Cemetery!

THIS IS AN ACTIVE MILITARY FACILITY

Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring cameras, cell phones, and wallets, although since no bags are allowed, you are encouraged to pack lightly.

A storage facility operated by the Bowfin is available in the immediate area of the entrance to the PHVC. There is a nominal storage fee of $3 per bag. The storage facility is in operation daily 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visitors may use the same bag storage for visits to all PH Historic Sites.

Having lived here all my life and visited all four of the museums, I would not try to do them all in one day. I have spoken to some of the people that work at the four museums and they say that they wouldn't try to do all four in one day either.

But, if I were staying in Waikiki and wanted to try and see everything in one day (which will very hectic, and I wouldn't do it), this is what I would do:

I would us a car service like VIP Trans PH Express ($9/person round trip at this writing) and ask for the earliest pickup in Waikiki for transport to the PHVC. The reason is that commuter traffic is the worst in the nation (even worst than L.A.) and people start commuting from 5:30am on Oahu. The Bus is cheaper and starts very early but there is no express bus to PH so you will be riding with commuters for at least an hour to reach PH from Waikiki and making all the stops along the way. Use the time in the car service to drink your coffee and eat a sandwich breakfast.

Make sure you decide which of the four museums you want to see. At the PHVC you will find the Arizona and the Bowfin. The Missouri and the PAM are on Ford Island which you reach by using the free shuttle located behind the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park. This Ford Island shuttle bus has three stops, the PHVC, the Missouri, the PAM, and returns to the PHVC.

There is no charge to visit the Arizona, but there are only 1,300/day free tickets available for walk-in visitors and people start lining up for them at 6:30am. The tickets are one per person in line, so all people that want to visit the Arizona have to be in line at the same time or they won't receive a ticket. You cannot pick up a ticket for your husband or wife or child. They have to be in line to receive a walk-in ticket. You may however pay a $1.50 service fee and reserve a ticket (2,700/day) up to two months in advance, however you must pick up the ticket at least one hour before the ticket time or it will be given to a walk-in visitor! There is a $7.50 digital audio player tour that can be purchases in the PHVC that will explain the various items you are looking at when you go through the PHVC and the Arizona.

After you pick up your Arizona ticket you will know when your actual 75-minute program begins. The program for begins at PH Memorial Theater. It includes a brief introduction, a 23-minute documentary film, a Navy-operated shuttle boat ride to the memorial, and time to experience the memorial itself.

If you have time before your Arizona tour begins, visit the Bowfin. The ticket purchased in the PHVC allows you to enter the actual submarine where a digital audio player that narrates your tour as you explore the historic WWII submarine and imagine what life on board must have been like for her 80-man crew. A digital audio player narrates your tour of the 10,000 square foot museum. Exhibits include an impressive collection of submarine-related artifacts such as submarine weapon systems, photographs, paintings, battle flags, original recruiting posters, and detailed submarine models, all illustrating the history of the U.S. Submarine Service. Exhibits include a Poseidon C-3 missile that allows visitors to examine its inner workings. It is the only one of its kind to be on public display. Within Bowfin Park stands a public memorial honoring the 52 American submarines and the more than 3,500 submariners lost during WWII.

After seeing the Arizona and Bowfin, I would take my VIP car service back to my Waikiki hotel and relax and get ready for dinner.

The second day, I would take the VIP Trans PH Express back to the PHVC and take the Ford Island shuttle to the Missouri and the PAM.

At the Battleship Missouri Memorial, the tour guide can take a half hour or three hours explaining the battleship and the memorial. If you want to know something, don't be afraid to ask the tour guide. Most of them are very knowledgeable about their memorial, but are also aware that a lot of people try to cram as much as they can see into a limited time and they try to accomodate this. If you tell the people at the entrance to the Missouri that you would like to take your time going through the memorial, they will try to find one of the tour guides that likes to give a complete explanation about the memorial. Also remember that the Missouri has a lot of stairs to traverse.

There are actually two tours for the Missouri. The Mighty Mo Pass is a guided tour with one of our knowledgeable Battleship Tour Guides. As you are escorted throughout the ship, you will walk the footsteps of General Douglas MacArthur and see where World War II ended. There is an acoustiguide that can take from 45-120 minutes and is the informational audio phones tour of the ship at your pace following one or all three separate tour routes, the Main Deck tour highlights the most famous historical aspects of the ship, the below Decks tour highlights "Life at Sea" and will show you where the crew ate, slept and spent most of their free time, and the Above Decks tour highlights the command and control of the ship and included the bridge, flying bridge and the Captain's at-sea cabin. The longer tour is called Heart of Missouri Tour that showcases the power behind the Mighty Mo, known to many as one of the greatest Battleship of all time. As the most requested guided tour, you will see the mechanics behind this Iowa-class battleship which was designed for speed and firepower.

What exactly does it make to move a ship three football fields long at a speed of nearly 40 MPH? How does one 16-inch gun fire a 2,700 pound projectile to an incredible 23 miles with pinpoint accuracy? Not only will this tour answer some of your most sought after questions about one of history's most dominant warships, but you'll get hands on training with lessons on lighting off one of the eight three-story Babcock and Wilcox boilers. Grab onto the throttles releasing the steam which drives the ship's massive propellers. Venture down Broadway, the longest and widest passage on the ship and meet (via video) the ship's last Chief Engineer who will explain the work of the "snipes," the men who worked below the water line in the heart of the Missouri. And if you're up to it, test your firing skills in the aft plotting room, where you will enter data into the Missouri's giant analog computers and pull the trigger that fires the big guns!

The PAM suggests taking at least 2 hours to visit them. There are actual two buildings that make up this museum. This was the only one of the museums that has a little walk-up restaurant for hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, etc. It has grown over the years and is quite something to see.

I hope this is of some help to those trying to figure out visiting Pearl Harbor.

You can get then online up to two months in advance to avoid standing in line. Do note, however, if you choose that method, that you must pick up your tickets at least an hour before your selected time or they will be given away.

Hi,

If I was to reserve 2mnths ahead is there a separate line for that reason or would there be one line for all?

Thx Geo

Hi,

If I was to reserve 2mnths ahead is there a separate line for that reason or would there be one line for all?

Thx Geo

Because the tickets aren't mailed or downloadable you have to pick them up. Yes there is a separate line for that. It will be much shorter.

Edited by Rebel54

Hi

Firstly thanks for all your help

I have been on gov website and see you can choose tickets and the actual time for uss Missouri

But notice the passport to pearl harbour tickets says unlimited ticket from 8.30 to 5. In that case how do we know which time we are on uss Missouri

Thanks again :)

Ps also going to read your detailed response again at the weekend

Edited by Nextholiday?

Please note that that on this tour, you will only stop at the World War II Valor in the Pacific museum site. The USS Arizona Memorial & (Narrated Audio Tour at USS Arizona), USS Battleship Missouri, Pacific Aviation Museum, USS Bowfin Submarine Museum are all at Pearl Harbor. The rest of the places are just drive bys.

I know for a fact that busses are not allowed to stop and park at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific and most of the other places listed don't allow tour busses to stop and park either.

That being said, what exactly are you trying to see? If you are trying to see the World War II Valor in the Pacific museums http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm , I would do it over 2 days and see 2 museums each day. Visit the site for information about the cost of visiting the other museums.

On this thread, #3, js4rq said that he recommends VIP Trans, at $6pp one way or $9pp roundtrip. http://www.viptrans.com/ I would not catch the Bus since the traffic on Oahu is the worst I've seen in all of the years I've lived here because of the light rail construction that won't be finished for at least 5 years.

I would take the VIP Trans to Pearl Harbor taking the earliest possible reservation and eat breakfast in the car. I would pay the $1.50 service fee and reserve my free Arizona Memorial ticket ahead of time. REMEMBER you have to pick up your ticket at least 1 hour ahead of the ticket time. If you want the $7.50 Narrated Audio Tour at USS Arizona, you can purchase it in the visitor center. When I got to Pear Harbor, I would go to the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & visitor center while I waited for my Arizona Memorial ticket time and ride the tender out to the memorial.

Taking your time and seeing the memorials and then getting back to Waikiki (why else are you going to Hawaii and Waikiki?) and the beach & pool and resting up for a nice dinner will get you prepared to go back to Pearl Harbor the next day.

The second day, I would go back to the World War II Valor in the Pacific/Arizona Memorial visitor center and take the Ford Island shuttle to the Battleship Missouri Memorial and the Pacific Aviation Museum, again returning to Waikiki to enjoy the hotel and the beach.

For a 3rd day trip (this is all day & into the night), I would take the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) all day tour with one of the tour companies. This is something I take my out of town visitors to see. I've driven them out to the PCC and visited the different "villages" and had the dinner several time and it never seems to get old.

I am thinking of doing through the PCC the island tour am then polynesian afternoon into the evening inc show. Would you recommend doing all through PCC or a different co

I am thinking of doing through the PCC the island tour am then polynesian afternoon into the evening inc show. Would you recommend doing all through PCC or a different co

Booking directly thru PCC will probably save a few dollars from booking thru one of the tour companies or the cruise line. For first time visitors to Oahu, the all day (8:30am to 9pm), "Circle Island Ambassador Package", is the tour I recommend they do first. It makes 10 stops (4 hours) along the way to the PCC showcasing a lot of the places visitors to Oahu like to see. After doing this tour, visitors have a better idea as to what they might want to see on Oahu, and can re-visit later. While it is pricey it is the one I send my relatives on when they only have a couple of days on Oahu.

Something many people don't know is that PCC is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon or LDS Church). This is why PCC is closed on Sunday and doesn't serve alcohol. I think 70% of the workers are students working their way thru college at Brigham Young University - Hawaii, which owns the land the PCC sits on. Most of the performers have actually grown up on the islands and in the culture they demonstrate, so they have a vested interest in making sure their visitors enjoy and learn while visiting the PCC. It is kind of like visiting 7 or 8 different Polynesian cultures in one place.

I have visited the PCC several times myself and have always found it interesting since they work to improve it all the time and the workers and performers finish their schooling and return to their homes or move on to new jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_Cultural_Center and http://www.polynesia.com/?jt=1&jap=1t1&js=1&jcpid=8a8ae4cd4a202997014a2ebd04113e2e&jkId=gcp:se_37269:t_kwd-333296895:ag_19324737964:cp_242486164:n_g:d_c:cr_74431789204:fi_&gclid=CjwKEAjwzuisBRClgJnI4_a96zwSJACAEZKe0NH5SirAAn_CtSK8Ms4dBYpXzyeC8zod9HWX6s8DmBoCvH_w_wcB#.VZrZFflViko

Edited by rakuroda