Carnival Cruisers thinking of trying MSC for honeymoon..

Laurelai777

Hello! We are planning our honeymoon for December and we are seriously considering cruising with MSC on the MSC Preziosa for the 7 night western Mediterranean cruise over Christmas.

We are a young couple in our mid twenties looking for the honeymoon of a lifetime. We have cruised Carnival and enjoy a relaxed atmosphere while on vacation with an assortment of activities to participate in.

Would you recommend cruising with MSC over carnival and RCI for the honeymoon?

Also, would you recommend this itinerary in December? I have traveled to Europe quite a bit but never on a cruise or for a week in December.

Does this ship in particular have activities on board that a couple in their 20s can enjoy?

Thanks!!

English will a third or fourth language . as far as activities they will be geared towards Europeans. It is very different experience then Carnival, but that is not bad.We choose MSC since they were the only cruise in the med, we loved it and have been on 4 MSC cruises.

the ship is very elegant and spotless, but do not expect a love and marriage show but there is plenty of music onboard.

We have been on 1 MSC Cruise so far and found it awesome....as for you , it will depend on what you enjoy, there will be no comedians ( too many different languages ), no sexy legs/ belly flop contest, no constant announcements...but there will be fantastic shows, delicious food, gorgeous common areas which to explore, LIVE music in the lounges, and so many different cultures which to interact with, there are plenty of activities to amuse yourself with during the day if you so wish, but they will be geared more towards things that everyone can participate in.

Hello! We are planning our honeymoon for December and we are seriously considering cruising with MSC on the MSC Preziosa for the 7 night western Mediterranean cruise over Christmas.

We are a young couple in our mid twenties looking for the honeymoon of a lifetime. We have cruised Carnival and enjoy a relaxed atmosphere while on vacation with an assortment of activities to participate in.

Also, would you recommend this itinerary in December? I have traveled to Europe quite a bit but never on a cruise or for a week in December.

Does this ship in particular have activities on board that a couple in their 20s can enjoy?

Thanks!!

We have just returned from a med cruise on the Divina (left 20th May from Barcelona)

The ship is absolutely beautiful and the shows are great, that is where it stops. (oh! the beds are comfy:))

We have been on 3 Carnival cruises 1 RC and 1 cunard now MSC. Carnival wins hands down, we will never use MSC again!

MSC on their med cruises have passengers embarking and disembarking at each port and this leaves you with the feeling of a hop on hop off ship.

The food is cafeteria at best with the same food being dished out day after day in the buffet - the dining room is a little bit better but no great variety.

We also had a wine package which you cannot choose the wines so we landed up with 3 wines we did not like.

Their coffee was undrinkable, so I was pleased that we bought a coffee cuddle and could have some almost decent coffees...

Their pasta was not good either, for an Italian ship it is unforgivable.

Our experience was that they have a LOT to learn from Carnival - the cruise director is non existent and if you did not make extensive plans prior to boarding do not expect to be told anything about the ports you will be seeing.

They only give you the expected temperature....obviously they want you to go on their excursions which I must say were not bad.

Disembarkation was a riot with people almost coming to blows as they were so dis-organised and late!. Hoards of people all converging into 1 lane and since they were late some poor people were desperate to get off due to a flight so pushing and shoving was the order of the day...not a pleasant experience.

The Med port are great, but December might not have good weather, check the December weather on the internet I think you will get a lot of rain.

We enjoyed the F1 and the 4D movies but the water slide was not functional in December you would not use it anyway!

Do not expect the entertainment you get on Carnival...I was quite bored the day we stayed in port (Civitavecchia) as it was raining.

Having said all that, think carefully what you actually want, I would recommend that you consider another line.

Good luck.

2 totally different ecperiences. Carnival is geared toward young American party people. MSC is very Europeon. I found the pizza and pasta great - done real Italian not American Italian and the espresso coffees are great, I didn't try the regular coffee. The ship is beautiful, the shows are very good and there is plenty of places to dance. I was in the Yacht Club and it was amazing. I loved the fact that everything was included and I did not have to worry about a bar bill. The spa is beautiful with great daily desls. The pool in YC was not crowded and plenty of chairs available. Views from the YC lounge incredible. You need to choose a ship that fits your personality and what is important to you. Not every Ship is for everyone. I personally do not like carnival and even though it's cheap cruise it's just not my thing any more. Check your options and choose for you!

We have just returned from a med cruise on the Divina (left 20th May from Barcelona)

The ship is absolutely beautiful and the shows are great, that is where it stops. (oh! the beds are comfy:))

We have been on 3 Carnival cruises 1 RC and 1 cunard now MSC. Carnival wins hands down, we will never use MSC again!

MSC on their med cruises have passengers embarking and disembarking at each port and this leaves you with the feeling of a hop on hop off ship.

The food is cafeteria at best with the same food being dished out day after day in the buffet - the dining room is a little bit better but no great variety.

We also had a wine package which you cannot choose the wines so we landed up with 3 wines we did not like.

Their coffee was undrinkable, so I was pleased that we bought a coffee cuddle and could have some almost decent coffees...

Our experience was that they have a LOT to learn from Carnival - the cruise director is non existent and if you did not make extensive plans prior to boarding do not expect to be told anything about the ports you will be seeing.

They only give you the expected temperature....obviously they want you to go on their excursions which I must say were not bad.

Disembarkation was a riot with people almost coming to blows as they were so dis-organised and late!. Hoards of people all converging into 1 lane and since they were late some poor people were desperate to get off due to a flight so pushing and shoving was the order of the day...not a pleasant experience.

The Med port are great, but December might not have good weather, check the December weather on the internet I think you will get a lot of rain.

We enjoyed the F1 and the 4D movies but the water slide was not functional in December you would not use it anyway!

Do not expect the entertainment you get on Carnival...I was quite bored the day we stayed in port (Civitavecchia) as it was raining.

Having said all that, think carefully what you actually want, I would recommend that you consider another line.

Good luck.

Totally disagree and you are saying that Carnival entertainment is better than MSC well that's a BIG JOKE!

Totally disagree and you are saying that Carnival entertainment is better than MSC well that's a BIG JOKE!

I know right!!! I hope they don't learn anything from carnival or any other cruise lines. I want a choice, I want different experiences. Not everyone wants a constant party or a snooze fest either. BTW I didn't have an issue boarding and I have read several reviews that said boarding was a breeze, in or not in the YC.

Hope this helps... menu site for the major cruise lines including the bar menus.

http://www.crew-center.com/cruise-ship-menus

Thanks for sharing the link! I've downloaded the drink menus for NCL (we have the UBP for our currently booked cruises and I want to take full advantage of it) and the MSC YC menus :D.

I also agree with your comments about Carnival. While I haven't sailed MSC yet, I have been on both Carnival and NCL multiple times and found NCL (specifically, the Haven) to be a much better fit for me and DH, and there's no way we'll be sailing Carnival again. I hope the YC will be even better than the Haven, though DH will miss having an espresso machine in our suite.

I enjoyed the espresso machine in the room also!! In the YC you can have you butler bring you espresso any time. We went to the YC pool bar in mornings for breakfast and espresso. They have a machine right there and in the One Lounge. I bought the starbucks white reusable 16oz cups for $1 before we left, gotta say these were perfect for our coffees in the mornings.

1433698604127.jpg.795ba498f9101695199de66b0be32942.jpg

1433698676293.jpg.40b50d8c961ae359b1adb1ecb2f17b3f.jpg

I told DH about the machine in the lounge and he’s happy now. It’s his routine at home to make 2 espressos in the mornings so he’s happy he’ll be able to stick with it, and now I’m happy as I’d prefer him being out and about on the ship instead of rushing me to get ready :). The Starbucks cup is a great idea (he already has one), thanks so much for the tips and photos!

Thanks!!

I would not recommend Medit. in December but I differently prefer MSC to CCL. WHY?

1. MSC ships much cleaner

2. MSC has much less drunks on board

3. Entertainment much better on MSC

4. MSC ships very beautiful

I can continue but you got the picture :)

Good luck.

Please MSC do not learn anything from Carnival.:mad:

In my opinion and talking to other passengers over the years of cruising MSC I have found that if you love Carnival you hate MSC. I hate to use the word hate since it is so strong of a word, but in the years of sailing and LOVING MSC, I have found guests either love it or hate it. Most people who tell me they hate it I always ask why and what line do they like. Most of the time they tell me, Carnival.

As you can see by my cruise history, I also begin cruising on CCL, but no more. MSC shows can give me goosebumps, bring me to tears and are simply unbelievable.

We went on MSC Divina on a Caribbean itinerary in October of last year. It WAS, in fact a totally different experience than Carnival. There were pluses and minuses, and every day and every cruise and every experience will be different. That being said, if you are looking to just relax and enjoy, MSC is great. If you like the sailaway parties and party atmosphere, you will be better suited to stick with Carnival (or similar). I kind of missed the sailaway party music, but also really enjoyed the ability to escape the noise. YMMV. We have posted a review on our blog site (below) that has a few pictures, etc. The review was a little bit of an afterthought, so it isn't as in-depth as I may have liked... but every little bit helps.

ENJOY!

In my opinion and talking to other passengers over the years of cruising MSC I have found that if you love Carnival you hate MSC. I hate to use the word hate since it is so strong of a word, but in the years of sailing and LOVING MSC, I have found guests either love it or hate it. Most people who tell me they hate it I always ask why and what line do they like. Most of the time they tell me, Carnival.

As you can see by my cruise history, I also begin cruising on CCL, but no more. MSC shows can give me goosebumps, bring me to tears and are simply unbelievable.

I really enjoyed my Carnival Med cruise Barcelona to Venice,June 2013 on The Sunshine. I also enjoy MSC . The first time on Poesia we did experience the European touch,and then we sailed again on Devin and totally fell in love. Will be going again on Devina with DH and GS in June 2016. My then 6 year old grandson.Gs loved the shows on MSC both times even more last time when he was 8.

MSC entertainment staff are the best I have encountered. You will have the choices of activities to take part in all day long. They even do arts and crafts twice a day, no fee! The games and dancing around the pool area are non stop from 9AM to 5 PM. Then the staff entertain all night with games and activities. MSC is unique in that the staff really get to know the passengers if you begin to take part in the activities. By no means, do not miss any of the shows.

I've never been on any other cruise line other than Carnival (12) but I've never really had the crazy party experience anyone talks about. I've been lucky. I am definitely open and looking forward to this cruise; however, I am dreading how much it's going to cost me to drink water in the dining room if it's true tap water isn't included at the table. I saw the pricing for a package of water and $37. Sigh.

I just got off of Divina last week and agree that you should consider a different cruise line. I have cruised with RCCL, NCL and Carnival and would choose any of them over MSC! Food was mediocre, entertainment was repetitive, crew members said hello back only if you said it first, customer service was POOR - staff said "F..." aloud in dining room after dessert order, another yelled - when reported we were told its a language issue - then hire people who speak English - mind you these were European white employees! Ports of Call on Mediterranean were awesome and only one day at sea! I think a lot of the above has to do with people embarking and disembarking at every port.

Edited by dbkk4

I never said Carnivals entertainment was better. I said MSC entertainment was great! and that the ship is beautiful. Carnival has more

choice.